Nordam Dress Codes

fivegirl

Impressive. Someone pushed the button!:)

Perhaps ... perhaps not. Board Monitors sometimes find these things without anyone actually pressing the alert button. The Button being spoken of is "ignore." It is possible to put people on ignore, that way you don't see their posts anymore. I've only done it once, in the past, and don't like doing it now because, for me, it's being disrespectful even if the person I'm putting on ignore is behaving atrociously. However, there may be times when it's the best policy.

Hi Rev and All,

Did a post get poofed from this thread, or am I missing the drive by shooting?

Cheers

Actually, I've just noticed that a post -- and a response or two -- have been pulled from this thread. I'd rather them not be pulled ... those kinds of snide posts indict the poster far more than they do anything to me. A board host must be trying to be helpful. :)

The Button being spoken of is "ignore." It is possible to put people on ignore, that way you don't see their posts anymore.

(question from a "newbie") -- I always thought that the "ignore" button was used by a poster so he/she wouldn't see the posts of a certain individual -- are you saying that NO ONE will see those posts if one person hits the "ignore" button? Also, maybe it was the little red triangle in the upper right corner that was hit instead? (just trying to learn what all these buttons do) :confused:

(question from a "newbie") -- I always thought that the "ignore" button was used by a poster so he/she wouldn't see the posts of a certain individual -- are you saying that NO ONE will see those posts if one person hits the "ignore" button? Also, maybe it was the little red triangle in the upper right corner that was hit instead? (just trying to learn what all these buttons do) :confused:

Hi CruisingAlong,

You can individually ignore a poster by puting them on your "Ignore List". You can edit your list in the "User CP" on the left side of the tool bar.

The red triangle reports a post to the moderator. They may or may not take action.

Smooth Seas

Hi CruisingAlong,

You can individually ignore a poster by puting them on your "Ignore List". You can edit your list in the "User CP" on the left side of the tool bar.

The red triangle reports a post to the moderator. They may or may not take action.

Smooth Seas

Thanks Happy HALer, this is what I thought too :)

No ... if you use ignore on a poster only YOU will not be able to see that poster's remarks. I don't think I implied that if you did that to someone everybody else wouldn't be able to see their remarks, either. Wow ... now that WOULD be a powerful button, wouldn't it!? ;)

I didn't hit any buttons regarding the post or the poster.

We have just booked our 1st HAL cruise and I have noticed the uproar over dresscodes. I have checked HAL's website and a few of my ?? have been answered, but I was hoping some of you seasoned HAL cruisers can help. I love to go to and dress for dinner, my hubby on the other hand can take or leave it , but I make sure he always adhears to the dress code in the dining room. My ?? are these: If we choose not to go to the DR, is the dress code still the same for the Lido in the evening??, basically will he have to wear long pants for dinner at night and keep them on? (not change back into shorts) Is it appropriate for a woman to wear a nice capri outfit with heels in the dining room on smart casual nights??? Also, my husband has a huge aversion to ties, but can put toghether a very nice shirt with a suit and looks great, will this be acceptable on formal night or does he have to have a tie??? Thanks for the help.

Carol

No ... if you use ignore on a poster only YOU will not be able to see that poster's remarks. I don't think I implied that if you did that to someone everybody else wouldn't be able to see their remarks, either. Wow ... now that WOULD be a powerful button, wouldn't it!? ;)

I didn't hit any buttons regarding the post or the poster.

And I certainly wasn't implying that YOU were implying ;) :D :confused:

I was just confused because of an earlier post from mamaofami that you responded to -- all explained now, no big deal. :) I thought maybe I didn't understand how the "buttons" work -- and yes, that WOULD be a mighty powerful button! LOL

We have just booked our 1st HAL cruise and I have noticed the uproar over dresscodes. I have checked HAL's website and a few of my ?? have been answered, but I was hoping some of you seasoned HAL cruisers can help. I love to go to and dress for dinner, my hubby on the other hand can take or leave it , but I make sure he always adhears to the dress code in the dining room. My ?? are these: If we choose not to go to the DR, is the dress code still the same for the Lido in the evening??, basically will he have to wear long pants for dinner at night and keep them on? (not change back into shorts) Is it appropriate for a woman to wear a nice capri outfit with heels in the dining room on smart casual nights??? Also, my husband has a huge aversion to ties, but can put toghether a very nice shirt with a suit and looks great, will this be acceptable on formal night or does he have to have a tie??? Thanks for the help.

Carol

Hi Carol-

It sounds to me like you guys are going to be just fine! Play it by ear.

You'll find that the onboard experience is NOTHING like the vocal minority here describe it. That was our experience, and I continue to hear that AGAIN and AGAIN. Don't sweat it, baby!

Capris are cute! No problem.

Jacket without tie should be fine.... While roaming the halls, I saw a few guys dressed like that.

ANYTHING goes on the Lido Buffet, but you might enjoy having room service deliver a nice dinner off of the menu.

You might want to read my review of the Volendam in my sig for more information about room service. :) I'm guessing that you'll fall in love with HAL as we did!

Carol

Carol, the dress code in the Lido is always casual. Many people prefer to dine there. Capris sound fine to me for smart casual nights, but that's only my opinion:). My husband has an aversion to ties, too, but he cleans up well, and changes his clothes after dinner.

I hope you and your husband have a wonderful cruise.

Karin:)

Actually, I've just noticed that a post -- and a response or two -- have been pulled from this thread. I'd rather them not be pulled ... those kinds of snide posts indict the poster far more than they do anything to me. A board host must be trying to be helpful. :)

Long gone Greg - as they should be, imo. Counter-productive & out of line, most definitely. :) I had the same problem last year too - no worries, it's all good.

I just wish we could ALL move PAST it - why "fight" about stupid stuff? Makes no sense - we're all adults.... :confused:

Folks who are somewhat new to this board (and the line) can still contribute and would be welcomed - it's the constant attacking and sniping that gets hard to take...

Long gone Greg - as they should be, imo. Counter-productive & out of line, most definitely.

I'm with Greg on this one, Laura. When those posts are removed people don't get the chance to know someone's true colors.

When someone is as viscious and vindictive as some posts reveal it's sad that more people don't get a chance to see that for themselves.

I'm with Greg on this one, Laura. When those posts are removed people don't get the chance to know someone's true colors.

When someone is as viscious and vindictive as some posts reveal it's sad that more people don't get a chance to see that for themselves.

Ruth - I agree in normal circumstances... but this has been an ongoing problem with this poster (you may also remember how I was attacked last year) and I (personally) was glad it was removed.

In Greg's case - his response was perfect (as usual) and he did not lower himself to the level which seemed to be the whole reason for provoking the attack. I give him huge kudos for that - it's not always easy to so remain calm. :)

Laura, I'm sorry to say that I only remember that there was "something", but don't remember the specifics of what happened to you. I do remember that it was in character for the poster.

And that's why I think that leaving those posts is what eventually shows as a pattern.

Now, if the individual attacked wants to hit the ol' triangle, then I can't argue. But if I wanted an attack made on me (and there have been some; why, I don't know) to be left for the world to see, and someone else came along and decided to overrule me and hit the triangle I would feel twice beaten.

Laura, I'm sorry to say that I only remember that there was "something", but don't remember the specifics of what happened to you. I do remember that it was in character for the poster.

And that's why I think that leaving those posts is what eventually shows as a pattern.

Now, if the individual attacked wants to hit the ol' triangle, then I can't argue. But if I wanted an attack made on me (and there have been some; why, I don't know) to be left for the world to see, and someone else came along and decided to overrule me and hit the triangle I would feel twice beaten.

Ruth -

I understand what you're saying (and Greg too)... it's just a shame it has to happen to begin with, imo - and I wish it would just end, but I suppose it won't.

Looking forward to the EDAM though - can't wait to meet you in person. :) Thanks for sharing your Prinsendam voyage with us. I loved reading every post... :)

Thank you Laura ... thank you Ruth! My appreciation for you both goes beyond words. You're both dear friends, and I'm happy you're both going to be aboard the Eurodam with me in 2008!

I don't always post as I should ... but I try to be better than I am. :)

I don't always post as I should ... but I try to be better than I am. :)

*Grins* & very big hugs... You do a great job here, Greg - much more patience & understanding than I could ever hope for... :)

We ARE going to have a blast on EDAM - no doubt. :D

Welcome, Carol! You're going to love HAL, and this board can be a great place. We do sometimes get a bit animated, but we're mostly a fun-loving, great bunch of coconuts. :)

The Lido: The Lido Dress code is always casual ... but the Line does ask that one wear a cover-up over a swim-suit and, certainly, always a shirt of some kind. Shorts would probably still be ok while on the Lido Deck and in the outdoor areas of the ship, but he will be quite out of place around the rest of the ship in shorts during the evenings. Sure, a few might be dressed in shorts during the evening hours, but not many.

Formal Night: Really, the requirement is jacket and tie. However, if a tie is a major aversion for him he might try one of the neckband formal shirts. These don't normally fasten tightly and, if he has some kind of nice button-cover, it dresses up nicely and makes it formal.

You can individually ignore a poster by puting them on your "Ignore List".

But you do still see a message that a post by that person was ignored. I have a related question: what does the "buddy list" do for you? I tried putting my DW on my buddy list, and vice versa, and we each posted. Nothing noticeable happened. :confused:

I just wish we could ALL move PAST it - why "fight" about stupid stuff? Makes no sense - we're all adults.... :confused:
I agree, yet it seems that many folks seem unwilling to allow for reasonable people disagreeing. I think that is what incites some of the less mature folks in our midst to become unreasonable in their defense of their reasonable perspectives.

On sale this week at JC Penney:

0900631b80e212afM.TIF?op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp&hei=250&wid=250

2 for $27 each.

That's what I was talking about. According to the "old" codes, it's not acceptable ... but "modern formal" makes room for this kind of get-up, especially with jackets (like formal Nerus) that don't make room for ties. Here's an example in such a formal get-up:

christopherformal1.jpg

That's Christopher in his Formal Neru Tuxedo with neckband shirt and formal button-cover. He's in the fashion industry, and made his Tuxedo himself.

Archived