Shoes for touring Europe (merged discussion)

I agree about getting a referral to a podiatrist to see what the cause is. I have Merrell flats, Trotter's heels, and New Balance tennis shoes for comfort.

I read that Europeans are also wearing white tennis shoes, and that Converse is popular with teens. Good luck-hope you find something comfortable.

I am on my feet all day, as I work in a gift shop/gallery. I also live in the Caribbean and our sidewalks are uneven old Danish Brick and Stone (Similar to Europe) I only wear Naot Brand. They are very comfortable, give good arch support and look more stylish than other comfort sandals/shoes. They can be purchased at Zappos online.

Regards from sunny St. Croix USVI,

Ellen

Nobody has mentioned Mephisto's but I find them extremely comfortable. They are a little more expensive that the other brands mentioned but in my opinion, worth it. They are more prevalent in Europe but you should be able to find them.pj

We are still working on shoes. We bought DD a pair of Mephistos. She wore them in NY over spring break. Her legs did not hurt when she was walking but her feet were really sore at the end of the day. We are going to try and find a second pair that is supportive. She has Keen water shoes. DH decided to get a new pair of Merrills and a new pair of Tevas had he will be set. I am getting new tires for my wheelchair and one pair of fun shoes maybe sketchers. I think we will be set then. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Just bought my first Birkenstocks- they must fit abolutely perfect or the support can fit your foot at a very uncomfortable place. I just bought a pair of Skechers- Mary Jane style- very comfortable and nice style! I may buy another in brown- what woman can have too many (comfortable ) shoes?

Just bought two pair of Naot - they are the greatest - one pair of lace up to replace sneakers and a pair of sandals. Had my old sandals seven years :) . Finally had to give them up. :o

I'm a big fan of both Ecco and Birkenstock... I pretty much wear them exclusively and always when traveling (including numerous trips to Europe). I will note that in both brands not all the shoes are created equal -- some Ecco and Birk models are better than others for me.

I'd also be remiss in not mentioning Earth shoes (www.earth.us), as I don't believe I've seen them in this thread. My wife recently bought a pair at The Walking Company, and she swears by them. They're light in weight and offer good support. If you've not tried them, I'd suggest you do so.

I have tried many of the brands mentioned in these posts and although they feel very comfy, none are narrow enough for me. Narrow feet are a real problem even with dress shoes, but finding a good pair of walking shoes for our med trip is becoming quite a challenge for me. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading these boards as we are considering a Mediterranean cruise for August of 2009. I am concerned about the topic of shoes so that you "don't look like a tourist". However, comfort and preventing knee pain is more important to me. I have narrow feet and have had knee surgery. When walking for long periods of time, I wear tennis shoes as they are the only comfortable shoe. I can't find walking shoes that don't look like old lady shoes that come in narrow widths and tie to prevent the heel from slipping and causing blisters. Any thoughts? I usually buy white Nikes or Reeboks with a little bit of color on them as they go with more of my summer shorts or jeans.

Thanks!

Mary Anne

I think there are a TON of comfortable shoes without wearing sneakers. Many americans think that is the only thing comfortable. lol I only wear sneakers to work out in, thats it. Nor do I think bright colors are attractive - most skin tones really don't look well with BRIGHT colors.

missty

the last thing people look at is your shoes. wear whatever you will be comfortable in. As quite a few posters have said it is a falacy that europeans don't wear 'sports' shoes. adidas is a german company as is puma and they sell millions of sports shoes in Europe each year. we wore sports shoes, walking shoes or thongs (flip flops?) when we were going ashore off our cruise last year.

another big fib is the jeans thing. europeans wear jeans, don't let anyone tell you they don't. they wear the same stuff as everyone else, just maybe with a little more style ;)

if you don't want to look conspicuous then I agree with an earlier post. the stars and stripes, or one, or the other is a dead give away. red white and blue is another. plenty of other countries (like mine) share those same colours on their flags but don't make a habit of going out dressed in all three. it's one thing that I see so many times when OS and always makes me laugh.

aussies and kiwis are the worst of all at this I think - wandering around the world with Australia or New Zealand emblazened across their chests. I'll never understand what that's about. is it an advert to attract others of their kind (!) or in case they forget where they are from and just need to look down to be reminded?

pete :)

Missty,

There may be TONS of comfortable shoes that come in a medium width, but I wear a AAA or AAAA width shoe with a AAAAA heel. They are very hard to find! Athletic shoes with the ties support my foot, give me the cushioning I need to prevent knee pain in my knee that had 1/3 of it's cartiledge removed and don't slide off the heel. I have been looking online to see if there are any good shoes that meet any of this criteria, but haven't found any. Plus, I'll probably be wearing short sleeve polo shirts with capris since it will be in August and hot. The athletic shoes would go best with those kind of clothes in my opinion. I wish I had a medium width foot as there are so many more footwear options, but I am not going to sacrifice comfort, no blisters and no knee pain for style.

Mary Anne

If you can wear ONLY sneakers and already know that nothing else works for you, why oh why would you ask what others think? I believe that "when in Rome" and since Europeans do not wear athletic shoes as a rule unless involved in an athletic activity, neither do I when I am there.

To me the main consideration is to be comfortable and thus enjoy your sight seeing.

The one disadvantage I did find last year that when you are dressed unlike the locals, have a map or guide book in your hands, and look like you know where you are then other tourists ask you for directions or help. In London I lost count of how many times I got asked for directions or help from tourists from other European countries. A real comedy to be standing on the platform of the London Underground and being asked directions by a German girl. She was most suprised to get an answer in my typical Aussie drawl as she had asked others who were obviously locals and they just ignored her and walked away.

In Rome I seldom got the chance to use my attrocious Italian as the shop keepers picked I was a tourist and immediately started the conversation in English.

All I really needed was an Aussie flag on my clothes so the pick pockets could see immediately that I was a tourist but from a poor country and not worth robbing. Sometimes I am thankful for the Crocodile Dundee films that make people think that Australians all carry a big hunting knife and are really obnoxious so they stear well clear of Aussies. In Rome it was okay as every waiter or shopkeeper we spoke to had a relative who lived in Australia, or wanted to go there some day.

David

If you need to wear what is comfortable for health reasons - wear sneekers/athletic shoes, make sure they are broken in - also, you may just be walking on well worn marble, so you don't want to slip!

Every year when we go back to the USA to visit my family, we take an extra suitcase for my husband to fill up with the sneakers that he buys there (from white to beige)...and they are usually on his Italian feet all year long (also on cruise - beige there, it was winter). Of course, he has to wear black shoes to work, so when he's free, so are his feet, comfortable in his big Nikes.

Yes, North Americans (and Aussies) can often be spotted by cut/style of dress - but also by the simple fact that they speak their own language between themselves while wandering around (something impossible not to do!). (Many German speaking men used to wear socks with sandals - dead give-away to the Italians, even without hearing them...).

Pick-pockets - even the Italians fall victem, when in Rome, or their home town local supermarket - one second of distraction...wallet gone!

Just a note...PLEASE don't do what I saw one tourist do (well, in a way not a bad idea)...he took off his big white Nke tennis shoe, got his money out of it and paid the bill at a cafè - yuck!

I have been reading these boards as we are considering a Mediterranean cruise for August of 2009. I am concerned about the topic of shoes so that you "don't look like a tourist". However, comfort and preventing knee pain is more important to me. I have narrow feet and have had knee surgery. When walking for long periods of time, I wear tennis shoes as they are the only comfortable shoe. I can't find walking shoes that don't look like old lady shoes that come in narrow widths and tie to prevent the heel from slipping and causing blisters. Any thoughts? I usually buy white Nikes or Reeboks with a little bit of color on them as they go with more of my summer shorts or jeans.

Thanks!

Mary Anne

Try Zappos.com. They have lots of shoes in narrow widths, and many of them have customer reviews to help you. The best part is that they have free shipping for both delivery and returns. Their delivery is super fast too. I've ordered shoes in the morning and had them delivered the next day.

Mary Anne

I am in the same boat - knee surgery and narrow feet. I have found that the more comfortable the shoe, the wider it is. If you have a Nordstrom nearby, go have a look at the Munroe shoes. They are not the most stylish, but some are not too bad and they have a great impact-minimizing sole.

I have taken with me black skeetchers with the criss cross straps (love them), privos, Keen (New Amsterdam style) I have never nor will I wear white tennis shoes in Europe! They are so fashion conscious. I do take a pair of dark jeans and wear them with heeled sandles!

I've traveled to Europe many times for both work and for pleasure and I think it is most important to wear comfortable, 'broken in' shoes. Do not worry about it if your preferred shoe choice is the 'dreaded' white sneaker aka runner. I've been totally dressed like a tourist (shorts, bright white - but comfortable sneakers, fanny pack (horrors!) and backpack and a foreigner came up to me in a German train station and asked me (tall and blond) for directions in German, assuming I was a 'local' of some sort. I have never not feel unduly targeted whether I was wearing sneakers and looking American/touristy or wearing business attire that looked more 'European.' You are doing touristy things, so everyone knows you are a tourist of some sort.

The important thing is that you will be walking a LOT and blisters would be a bummer, so bring good shoes that you find comfortable and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
My daughter has some issues and a lot of walking tends to result in a lot of pain at the end of the day. This is despite dance classes and all the activities she participates in. We will be doing a lot of walking in Europe, I would appreciate any recommendations on brand or style of shoe that is comfortable and has a lot of support. If it is nice looking that would be a bonus. We live in the South West so we drive every where so she can get by with stylish but non supportive shoes here. DD is a tween/teen and wears women's size shoes. Thank you for your help.

Hello fellow traveller. You don't even have to leave your house to find comfortable shoes. Just go online to www.zappos.com they even have a comfort department that you can call or email for different advise on comfortable shoes. They have free shipping and free returns so there is really nothing to loose. I myself love Skechers and Clarks shoes the best, and I would like to think I am stylish too!!

I am looking forward to taking all my new shoes to europe with me in June. My partner will also be sporting the new Teva's I just got him :)

ukkat63

• 2 months later...

OK - a stupid question. We'll be on a Med cruise in October and expect to do a fair bit of walking in a number of cities. Unfortunately, I had a bad ankle injury that makes it difficult to walk more than short distances in anything other than sneakers. My concern is appropriate attire in churches, etc. Assuming I am otherwise well dressed will sneakers be a problem?

Archived