Shoes for touring Europe (merged discussion)

Oh, you must mean tennis shoes!

:D Being from California, but having family in Minnesota that made me laugh! My cousins all drink "pop" and wear "sneakers". I drink "soda" and my kids wear "tennis shoes"! Different names in different regions...

With all due respect to you, Bob, it's those middle-age and older men with Dunlop's disease, brightly patterned shirts, shorts, white athletic socks, white tennis shoes, cameras around their necks, fanny packs at their waist and baseball caps that scream out, "AMERICAN!"

I adore those guys who wear the athletic socks (with red stripes please) with sandals!!!! NOT:)

I adore those guys who wear the athletic socks (with red stripes please) with sandals!!!! NOT:)

We always tease my Dad, but he used to do black socks and sandals! He's actually become "hipper" the older he is (now 80!) and he got a new, cool pair that he even wears sometimes with no socks. Just took a few years to figure it all out.

I found Rockport (Marci style) to be the most fabulous (machine wash in cold water and air dry) sneaker I have ever had. I can walk forever in them and they are stylish and extremely light in weight. They come in many different colors, black/grey is great for travel all year round.

Hello...

I sympathize with your problem. I have chronic ankle problems after a couple clumsy breaks while walking on cobblestones and not paying attention.

I have no problem with sneakers as far as being appropriate in warm climates, but often find that they feel too hot. I've got a couple identical pair of Mephisto's with the same support...or more...than sneakers and find them great for all day touring. A lot of other brands are now copying this design...for a lot less.

I also purchased a collapsible cane, stick it in my pack, and when I'm touring ruins or anyplace with uneven surfaces, I pull it out and it helps "offset" the weaker ankle and lends stability.

My two cents!

Enjoy your tour!

murphysmum;)

What style Mephisto? I too think sneakers are too hot.

We wear the Reebok DMX walkers in black when we travel in Europe. They are very comfortable, come in wide sizes and look more like dress shoes than sneakers. You can get them at any reebok outlet store or even online.

Are the Reebok DMX walkers hot to the foot?

You will be so busy looking at all the sights and every place will be so crowded that no one will notice what you have on your feet. Go for comfort cause there is a lot of walking and all the streets are uneven cobblestones and I bet slippery if wet. Relax and enjoy, it's a wonderful place and you will never see any of these people again.

Are the Reebok DMX walkers hot to the foot?

We have not noticed any difference between the white and black but have not traveled with them in any really hot climates/times of year either.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used SAS and Ecco both in the past. SAS is difficult to find and my friend recommended Easy Spirit, so that is what I have purchased for my Med cruise in Oct '08.

They are really comfortable with lots of arch support, which I need for very much walking.

Archived