Shoes for touring Europe (merged discussion)

OK - a stupid question. We'll be on a Med cruise in October and expect to do a fair bit of walking in a number of cities. Unfortunately, I had a bad ankle injury that makes it difficult to walk more than short distances in anything other than sneakers. My concern is appropriate attire in churches, etc. Assuming I am otherwise well dressed will sneakers be a problem?

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers :D

I am pretty certain your sneakers will NOT be a problem in any of the religious places in Europe, even in Istanbul.

In Italy I'vee seen Americans in t-shirts and shirts walking into St. Pietre in Rome w/o much problems. Unless things changed drastically during the last five years, you'll be just fine. Get well and enjoy your cruise.

I purchased a pair of sturdy walking shoes for last year, fitted them with additional inner soles to cushion my feet as well as gel heel pads. They were a dark brown color but still obviously in the sneaker class. With 5 days in London, a 12 day Med cruise and then 4 days in Rome they were pretty worn out internally by the time I got home. I liked the sturdy, solid nature of the soles, especially at Pompei, Ephesus and Olympia, as the surfaces can be very rough and uneven. Never had any comments made and we visited Topkapi Palace, The Blue Mosque, Vatican Museums and St Peters and even went to church in Rome. The locals do not tend to wear sneakers but rest assured you will look like a tourist whatever you wear so enjoy the experience.

Looking after your feet is the main priority, not much point in being fashionable if you have to spend the last half of the cruise hobbling about the ship and cannot go out and do your sight seeing.

David

You must wear sneakers to be comfortable walking all day!

I can tell you that as a non-American (an Aussie), we can always spot the Americans a mile away because you all seem to wear white sneakers!

Personally, I take a pair of black walking shoes and a pair of tan, depending on what colour pants I'm wearing!

We are also doing a Med cruise (late Oct), so have fun!

I can tell you that as a non-American (an Aussie), we can always spot the Americans a mile away because you all seem to wear white sneakers!

FYI - Quite a few Scandinavians wear white sneakers as well. Admittedly black, brown, and colorful sneakers are much more popular, but there are still a lot of white.

Hello...

I sympathize with your problem. I have chronic ankle problems after a couple clumsy breaks while walking on cobblestones and not paying attention.

I have no problem with sneakers as far as being appropriate in warm climates, but often find that they feel too hot. I've got a couple identical pair of Mephisto's with the same support...or more...than sneakers and find them great for all day touring. A lot of other brands are now copying this design...for a lot less.

I also purchased a collapsible cane, stick it in my pack, and when I'm touring ruins or anyplace with uneven surfaces, I pull it out and it helps "offset" the weaker ankle and lends stability.

My two cents!

Enjoy your tour!

murphysmum;)

We wear the Reebok DMX walkers in black when we travel in Europe. They are very comfortable, come in wide sizes and look more like dress shoes than sneakers. You can get them at any reebok outlet store or even online.

I just keep thinking how many ports of call I have visited in Europe and the fact that I would not worry at all what type of athletic shoe I would wear. White, black or whatever is fine. Just as I would not generarlize what color of athletic shoe people wear in the USA I would not do so in Europe either. If you have a nice comfortable shoe, I would not spend any additional money just to buy one that was some other color.

Keith

With all due respect, it's those older gray-haired ladies wearing high-rise Mom's Jeans and bright white only Reebok's that scream out, "AMERICAN!"

Other than that, sneakers or trainers are quite popular in Europe. They've got to have some color though, whether the shoe itself or the stripes. Nike, Puma, Adidas and Asics are all over the place.

BobK/Orlando

True, white is not THE STANDARD as in the USA. What is important is that they are comfortable. If you plan to buy a new pair before going, you might consider another color, give yourself time to break them in - if not buying a new pair, don't worry over it. Unless you are planning to remain silent the entire time, people will be able to detect where you come from when you speak, even when among yourselves.

With all due respect, it's those older gray-haired ladies wearing high-rise Mom's Jeans and bright white only Reebok's that scream out, "AMERICAN!"

Other than that, sneakers or trainers are quite popular in Europe. They've got to have some color though, whether the shoe itself or the stripes. Nike, Puma, Adidas and Asics are all over the place.

BobK/Orlando

Bob: You deserve my "chuckle of the day". Diane

I'd ask your doctor/podiatrist what shoes she suggests, you may find some helpful tips about proper support. If sneakers are the top choice for your situation with your ankle injury, go for it! Maybe they will suggest some specific brands with the right support for you to try like Dansko, Merrill, etc.

I would also suggest heading to a small independent shoe store and seeing what some of the brands are- no store you would find in a mall, but one of those small ones where all the shoes seem to be expensive. :p They typcially are very attentive to your specific needs and can possibly make some good suggestions!

Don't forget to break them in!

BobK/Orlando

OK, it might be worse if these ladies were wearing low-rise jeans and thongs, don't you think? (I can say this 'cos I'm 50 and yes, my jeans are a bit "mom-ish." So I resemble this remark! But my trainers are black. :D )

Lisa

With all due respect, it's those older gray-haired ladies wearing high-rise Mom's Jeans and bright white only Reebok's that scream out, "AMERICAN!"BobK/Orlando

With all due respect to you, Bob, it's those middle-age and older men with Dunlop's disease, brightly patterned shirts, shorts, white athletic socks, white tennis shoes, cameras around their necks, fanny packs at their waist and baseball caps that scream out, "AMERICAN!"

OK, it might be worse if these ladies were wearing low-rise jeans and thongs, don't you think? (I can say this 'cos I'm 50 and yes, my jeans are a bit "mom-ish." So I resemble this remark! But my trainers are black. Lisa

Lisa, I bet you look good with low rise jeans, a thong and black trainers!!

BobK/Orlando

With all due respect to you, Bob, it's those middle-age and older men with Dunlop's disease, brightly patterned shirts, shorts, white athletic socks, white tennis shoes, cameras around their necks, fanny packs at their waist and baseball caps that scream out, "AMERICAN!"

BJB, I agree with you fully, lol. You correctly described the male version of the same thing!

BobK/Orlando

Archived