Shoes for touring Europe (merged discussion)

I've tried both ecco and sas and while both were very comfortable, neither one works when my plantar fasciitis flairs up. Then I can wear only my Brooks walking or running shoes (with orthotics). I'm hoping perhaps someone else who wears orthotics and needs that kind of shoe can suggest something somewhat dressier than plain old athletic shoes. ANYTHING at all as good for heel pain as those others, but that can be worn more readily with black slacks? Thanks!

I've tried both ecco and sas and while both were very comfortable, neither one works when my plantar fasciitis flairs up. Then I can wear only my Brooks walking or running shoes (with orthotics). I'm hoping perhaps someone else who wears orthotics and needs that kind of shoe can suggest something somewhat dressier than plain old athletic shoes. ANYTHING at all as good for heel pain as those others, but that can be worn more readily with black slacks? Thanks!

I have the same problem--a real pain!!!! I have some Naots and Ecco's that I can wear without the orthotics for a while. They are quite supportive and comfy. But I also got a smaller set of orthotics made to fit into dressier shoes. The Naots and some Ecco's often have a removable insole so you can insert your own orthotic. They tend to be sandals but they work for dinner out. I also wore a pair of dark coloured Merrills with Vibram soles for trekking around Europe that worked quite well for me with my orthotics.

I wear full orthotics and I have no problem fitting them into Rockports. I am not sure what colours they come in, mine are black so that they go with my many pairs of black slacks! My running shoes are New Balance, as are my safety shoes. Again, my orthotics fit fine. Rockports are about $80 CDN and New Balance in the $100 range.

I just bought a pair of coach sneakers. I did not want to wear my running shoes, they are just not fashionable. They are comfortable. Of course I only had them on a few minutes. I am going to have to wear them for a day before my trip to make sure they are ok. I just recently started having problems with plantar faciitis,(i do alot of running) so i need to make sure it does not flare up on vacation. I miss wearing flip flops, i use to be able to walk everywhere in them.

My picks are: Dansko, Merrell, Sketchers (especially the 'Bikers', which can be a little dressier), but no matter what, break them in first!! Thin socks are handy, and take up less room to pack. :D

And wear your heaviest, clunkiest pair on the plane, saves packing space. I do this with my biggest shoes, sweater and jeans- those are all airplane wear, they are things that I will wear 2-3 times and don't want to take up the extra suitcase space with all the luggage weight restrictions now.

If you can live without jeans entirely though, that is the way to go. Bulky, and hard to wash & dry in your room- takes forever.

Sheila, Do take care of your feet and they will at least tolerate you. If plantar f. gets a real hold on you it lasts forever (4 years on my last bad bad spell). You might consider orthodics from Foot Solutions or similar(Dr's are way too hard for me) that go in shoes. If feet feel puffy a cold pack helps and if really bad off lidocaine sheets (RX) are a blessing. My sister swears by her "rubber dog" flip flops with a very cushy high arch. they look pretty normal also. I just declare that all fashion stops at the ankles -- ugly truth.

Have a pair of black and a pair of bronze Privos. They kind of look like Mary Janes and are so comfortable and stylish as well. Have had major foot sugery and these are wonderfully comfortable.:)

I love Merrells. Have bought several pairs and never had one uncomfortable pair or any that have even had to be broken in. When we went to Salt Lake winter Olympics I was standing and walking an incredible amount of the time and they literally saved me and my feet!!

For this cruise, i bought 3 pairs, so i can interchange from day to day, its good to make a change (changing the points of pressure for long rides)

Merrells hard to beat,

Keen...so so ..a little deceiving (its better when you wear them with socks but the look with socks is...yeark!!!)

and Clarks (unstructured) sandals.. I was VERY impressed by theses ones.. at first i bought them because they are a little more dressy (can wear them with a dress or Skirt) but they are so comfortable!! (more than the keens imho).

have a nice day !

I spent the month or two before our recent med cruise ordering from zappos.com and visiting famous footwear and dsw for the "perfect" vacation sneakers and sandals. I have been struggling with a bought of plantar fascitis myself so i had to find footwear with proper arch support etc. I found that Clarks, Merrels and Eccos for walking sandals were terrific...though i tried on at least 50 pairs for the right ones with the right look. I found that clarks could be a bit dressier with their leather sandals. Merrels were great for flip flop type and teva type sandals. Eccos were the ugliest i have ever had on my feet...and the most expensive at 125 dollars but they were the most unbelievably comfortable sandals(velcro everywhere) for all day walking on very hot, uneven cobblestone walkways, hills, and gravel.

I also purchased a couple pairs of Easy Spirit sneaker mules(traveltime or tourtime i cant remember) and they never dissappoint. THey have a mesh upper, lightweight, arch support and are a level 1 walking shoe. I found them just as good as a proper sneaker and a lot less hot.

Just my experience. Zappos.com has free shipping and free returns so no harm in trying several styles and sizes.

Nora

and Clarks (unstructured) sandals.. I was VERY impressed by theses ones.. at first i bought them because they are a little more dressy (can wear them with a dress or Skirt) but they are so comfortable!! (more than the keens imho).

Clarks unstructured ~ great! and so lightweight and comfortable :) I have 2 pair of sandals and a pair of MaryJane-type black shoes. I like Privos too, but the unstructured are the best!

• 1 month later...

I wear Ecco laced walking shoes. They're neat looking and look good with pants. I have a really bad back and I'd be lost without them. In warmer weather, which since I live in South Florida, is always, I wear Ecco sandals. The ones I get are adjustable over your toes, top of your foot, and ankle. They're also lifesavers for me. None of these shoes took any "breaking in" time although, I'd always wear shoes for a while before taking them on a trip. Have fun.

Joan

Another vote for Ecco. Dressy yet comfortable for all day walking. 2 trips to Europe and one to Alaska and I'm still wearing them, not as every day shoes but when I will be doing a lot of walking. Plan on taking them back to Europe next year.

Archived