zaandam, volendam or veendam

coffee39

I've been on all 3, and liked them all! Zaandam and Volendam are sisters. Both have 3 sets of elevators, as opposed to only 2 on Veendam. Zaandam's theme is music; Volendam's theme is flowers. Veendam carries a couple hundred less passengers.

What features are you looking for on a ship? That may help us to come up with a recommendation. I would sail any of the 3 again with no hestitation.

Roz

What are the differences in itineraary? All 3 will be in Alaska in 2008, and I am considering the Veendam because I like its itinerary best. I was on the Zaandam for my very first cruise in 2004. It wasn't a great cruise, but I'd sail on the Zaandam again - for the right itinerary.

I've been on all 3, and liked them all! ... I would sail any of the 3 again with no hestitation.

Me too. :)

I think I like the Zaandam the best of the three because of how the music theme is carried out. However, all are beautiful, and I do prefer the size of the S-class ships.

Me too. :)

I think I like the Zaandam the best of the three because of how the music theme is carried out. However, all are beautiful, and I do prefer the size of the S-class ships.

I didn't like the music theme on the Zaandam, but it was still very pretty. I like the Volendam more because of it's flowers theme.

I have never been aboad the Veendam, but I've cruised on the other 3 S-class ships, and they're very lovely. However, my favorite ship is the Volendam and I much prefer the R-class vessels because of the mid-ships stairs and elevators.

The Zaandam's biggest deficit is it's ugly atrium "art" ... the Organ.

Hi there, Coffee :)

I've never been aboard the Veendam, either!

I HAVE been on an "R CLASS", and am booked for one in December. So, I guess that I'd have to say that I also prefer the "R CLASS".

Loved the flower theme on the Volendam, but "art" is in the eye of the beholder. I can't imagine an "ugly organ", but again....

I'm guessing that you'll be very pleased with any of your picks! :)

I have never been aboad the Veendam, but I've cruised on the other 3 S-class ships, and they're very lovely. However, my favorite ship is the Volendam and I much prefer the R-class vessels because of the mid-ships stairs and elevators.

The Zaandam's biggest deficit is it's ugly atrium "art" ... the Organ.

Hi RevNeal! It was great meeting you on the Ryndam.

The organ on the Zaandam is cheezy, but if it were real it would be neat.

Thanks, Dave. I thought I recognized your mug! Nice to see you back and active on the board.

The organ on the Zaandam actually is real ... it plays ... but it's more like a toy in the playing departmnet. My only real issue with it is its totally painted white. Even the pipes are painted white ... they should be brass or silver, not painted. In other words, while its a great idea I believe it was poorly executed.

How's Mitch? Did the two of you ever get back together?

I never heard it play. I guess I missed it.

It being painted all over is part of why I think its cheezy. They must have done that to make it look more like art. I also think it takes up a lot of space. The Volendam's glass artwork in the Atrium is more lovely.

Thanks for asking about Mitch. Per your advice, we worked out our problems and have since booked another cruise with Holland.

Yes, it does play. They have a computer control system that normally operates to play it at certain hours during the day on sea-days. It can also be played manuelly, but I'm never seen that done.

I'm happy for you both! Please keep in touch.

If you want to see the photos from the Ryndam cruise you can check here.

Hi there, Coffee :)

I've never been aboard the Veendam, either!

I HAVE been on an "R CLASS", and am booked for one in December. So, I guess that I'd have to say that I also prefer the "R CLASS".

Loved the flower theme on the Volendam, but "art" is in the eye of the beholder. I can't imagine an "ugly organ", but again....

I'm guessing that you'll be very pleased with any of your picks! :)

Don't knock the S ships until you try them. They are great little boats, very easy to get around on and never crowded. I've only been on 2 of them (Ryndam and Maasdam), and both were very cool.

The Zaandams organ is cheezy. The good Reverend is correct about them painting it all over ruining its effect.

Which R-class ship were you on?

Which R-class ship were you on?

Hi David :)

Our first HAL cruise was on the VOLENDAM last December. We were so knocked out by Holland America, that we immediately booked the AMSTERDAM for this December. I am now a huge fan of this cruise line! :D

A cheesy ugly organ.....

The Volendam is our Favorite HAL ship. The Zaandam is second. You can't go wrong with either.

Maasdam's advantgage is her smaller size. Very nice!

Have fun.

Archived