Question about Qantas check-in on-line

Coastaljen

When you check-in at Toronto, AA should issue you with boarding passes for Toronto-Chicago, Chicago-LA and LA-Sydney. Your baggage should be through-tagged all the way to Sydney.

If I understand the system right, you will pre-clear US immigration and customs in Toronto before you board the aircraft. Then your bags should go straight to Sydney.

All you have to do when you reach LA is to get to your LA-Sydney flight. If your Chicago-LA flight arrives at Terminal 4 at LA, then you shouldn't even need to change terminals - but check all terminal numbers with the airline websites.

Yes, when coming to USA from Canada, we clear US customs in Canada, Toronto, in my case. I certainly hope you're correct when you say AA can issue the boarding pass for the LAX/AUCKLAND segment. I called Qantas on this and they said the same thing you did. But when I call AA, they say, there's no way for them to issue the Qantas segment. Is there anything I should do to enable them (AA) to be capable of issuing the tix other than producing my printout of my flight and confirmation number at the check-in counter? I don't know how Celebrity booked it, but I have 2 separate confirmation number. Confirmation number 1 only has AA flights (TORONTO/CHICAGO/LAX) and return. This one is visible to AA and not Qantas. Confirmation number 2 has flights for the entire duration, but this confirmation number is NOT visible to AA but Qantas only. Maybe that is why, Qantas is saying AA should be able to issue the boarding tix all the way to Auckland, while AA says no. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Since you are on line, I would assume that you use the internet a lot. From my experience if you have your AA FF number on your reservations, you should see all your flights with AA and Qantas on the AA my reservations. I would think that would increase the odds of you be able to get all your boarding passes when you check in. I am not sure if the Toronto portion complicates the situation. If it does, perhaps you can get the Qantas boarding passes in Chicago.

I am flying to Australia via LAX from Chicago at the end of January, so I can let you know at the end of Feb. when I return.

Since you are on line, I would assume that you use the internet a lot. From my experience if you have your AA FF number on your reservations, you should see all your flights with AA and Qantas on the AA my reservations. I would think that would increase the odds of you be able to get all your boarding passes when you check in. I am not sure if the Toronto portion complicates the situation. If it does, perhaps you can get the Qantas boarding passes in Chicago.

I am flying to Australia via LAX from Chicago at the end of January, so I can let you know at the end of Feb. when I return.

Yeah this site is a wealth of information and I'm combing them through to research the final Newcastle, Sydney and Melbourne ports.

It's not there under my AA reservations. I already checked. I thought of trying to get them in Chicago and Toronto. In fact, will try to do that and see if that's possible. I did call Qantas, and he said Qantas does not have counter in Toronto or Chicago. (But when I check Qantas site, they do fly out from Chicago and Toronto). So I'm not certain how that's going to work out. Unfortunately, I will be flying out Jan 4th. But thanks for the offer.

Globaliser

Ok flying NWA out of Minneapolis to LAX--then LAX to Sydney (non-stop)

NWA told me they could tag my luggage to Sydney, so I assume I will not need to get it (luggage) to take to the other terminal? Now Qantas has told me they don't guarantee the seats til you check in (economy--thru X) now we arrive in LAX local time 6:46 (if on time) we don't leave LAX on Qantas til 10:30pm.Will we have enough time? ..Qantas told me that we will HAVE to checkin & that the counter doesn't open til 5pm (which won't help us to get there-til after we arrive)..by then might our seats be gone? We've asked for seats 71A&B..I am afraid someone might take those?? Will it help at all that when checking in at NWA--that somehow it shows for Qantas that we ARE on our way? Ok--silly questions I'm sure..I just have never had a airline tell me that I can ask for my seats but I might not get them--they told me this twice. I know others will be there long before we even arrive. Gads--I will be a WRECK til we get to the boarding area of Qantas.

Globaliser

Ok flying NWA out of Minneapolis to LAX--then LAX to Sydney (non-stop)

NWA told me they could tag my luggage to Sydney, so I assume I will not need to get it (luggage) to take to the other terminal? Now Qantas has told me they don't guarantee the seats til you check in (economy--thru X) now we arrive in LAX local time 6:46 (if on time) we don't leave LAX on Qantas til 10:30pm.Will we have enough time? ..Qantas told me that we will HAVE to checkin & that the counter doesn't open til 5pm (which won't help us to get there-til after we arrive)..by then might our seats be gone? We've asked for seats 71A&B..I am afraid someone might take those?? Will it help at all that when checking in at NWA--that somehow it shows for Qantas that we ARE on our way? Ok--silly questions I'm sure..I just have never had a airline tell me that I can ask for my seats but I might not get them--they told me this twice. I know others will be there long before we even arrive. Gads--I will be a WRECK til we get to the boarding area of Qantas.

According to Qantas, we could call to reserve seats, and they do emphasized that seats are not garaunteed until you check in. Upon further probing, he told me they most always give you what you have reserved. (my seats booked through Celebrity, could be different for you). I know it sounds weird, they let you choose your seats before you fly but they also say we can't garauntee. But the thing I wanted to inform you is that, if those seats are the 2 seats in the back of the plane (only about 4 or 5 rows of them on both sides), they are hot cakes. He said those seats are gone once they start taking assigning seats (for ppl who called in before the trip). I don't know why he told you that you couldn't reserve a seat beforehand.. I would call back, but it could also be becuase I booked a cruise air, who knows.. as far as those seats goes, I doubt you'll get them even if you're at the counter at 5pm.

According to Qantas, we could call to reserve seats, and they do emphasized that seats are not garaunteed until you check in. Upon further probing, he told me they most always give you what you have reserved. (my seats booked through Celebrity, could be different for you). I know it sounds weird, they let you choose your seats before you fly but they also say we can't garauntee. But the thing I wanted to inform you is that, if those seats are the 2 seats in the back of the plane (only about 4 or 5 rows of them on both sides), they are hot cakes. He said those seats are gone once they start taking assigning seats (for ppl who called in before the trip). I don't know why he told you that you couldn't reserve a seat beforehand.. I would call back, but it could also be becuase I booked a cruise air, who knows.. as far as those seats goes, I doubt you'll get them even if you're at the counter at 5pm.

Yes I am aware they are hot seats--but they changes me very willingly from 35A&B..both times I talked to someone they were she's...lol well I just wonder if in the end when they just give others your seats if some couples end up scattered about the plane...I had to sit away from my husband on trip to Hawaii & I wasn't very happy..and for a 14½ flight I sure would at least like to lean on him if we don't get the 2 seats..I know the 2nd gal told me they remove those seats if they need them for cots or something for sick people or something. So you are saying at the end you doubt I will even get them? So wonder where they'll put us? I don't think I like not knowing if I even have seats period. I think I will call them again & ask if those are gone--what do they do with us? Ours also were booked thru Celebrity & I called as soon as they told me I could for seats..then I did call back later to change them to the back. I'm sure I don't have near enough points to go for business class. Not sure what you mean by those callign in before the trip--I did call--or are you talking about someone just before they leave?

I hate to put a damper on your seat allocation but those seats at the back of the plane are the most asked for seats and many passengers request them. I am pretty sure that if a Qantas F.F. has requested them, then they will be the ones who have priority over other passengers.

Jennie

Yeah this site is a wealth of information and I'm combing them through to research the final Newcastle, Sydney and Melbourne ports.

It's not there under my AA reservations. I already checked. I thought of trying to get them in Chicago and Toronto. In fact, will try to do that and see if that's possible. I did call Qantas, and he said Qantas does not have counter in Toronto or Chicago. (But when I check Qantas site, they do fly out from Chicago and Toronto). So I'm not certain how that's going to work out. Unfortunately, I will be flying out Jan 4th. But thanks for the offer.

Qantas doesn't actually fly out of Chicago or Toronto. They use another airline and code share. It would probably be American Airlines from those two cities. They also code share to Vancouver with Alaskan Airlines.

Jennie

Yes I am aware they are hot seats--but they changes me very willingly from 35A&B..both times I talked to someone they were she's...lol well I just wonder if in the end when they just give others your seats if some couples end up scattered about the plane...I had to sit away from my husband on trip to Hawaii & I wasn't very happy..and for a 14½ flight I sure would at least like to lean on him if we don't get the 2 seats..I know the 2nd gal told me they remove those seats if they need them for cots or something for sick people or something. So you are saying at the end you doubt I will even get them? So wonder where they'll put us? I don't think I like not knowing if I even have seats period. I think I will call them again & ask if those are gone--what do they do with us? Ours also were booked thru Celebrity & I called as soon as they told me I could for seats..then I did call back later to change them to the back. I'm sure I don't have near enough points to go for business class. Not sure what you mean by those callign in before the trip--I did call--or are you talking about someone just before they leave?

If you have talked to Qantas and they have already moved your seats from 34A and B to the back, then I am sure you will be fine though I would ring to say that your flight is not arriving until 7.45pm and will they keep your seats.

When we booked into Qantas in November last year at 5pm, the gate wasn't even opened and yet the queue went forever. We were at Tom Bradley terminal and after checking in and getting our boarding passes we then had to take our cases over to be X-rayed so we were in another queue for another 30-40 minutes. Finally we were able to go to the lounge.

We have flown out of L.A. twice now and we will never fly out of that airport again. It is a complete shambles with the rudest service people you could ever imagine. I don't envy you in the least having to use that airport.

Jennie

Is there anything I should do to enable them (AA) to be capable of issuing the tix other than producing my printout of my flight and confirmation number at the check-in counter? I don't know how Celebrity booked it, but I have 2 separate confirmation number. Confirmation number 1 only has AA flights (TORONTO/CHICAGO/LAX) and return. This one is visible to AA and not Qantas. Confirmation number 2 has flights for the entire duration, but this confirmation number is NOT visible to AA but Qantas only. Maybe that is why, Qantas is saying AA should be able to issue the boarding tix all the way to Auckland, while AA says no.
That makes it a little less clear. I'm not sure why Celebrity has done this. Do you have ticket numbers yet? (You're looking for a 13-digit number, probably starting either with 001 or with 081.) How many ticket numbers do you have?

But you should still be able to get the bags through-tagged to Sydney simply by showing both your confirmations when you check-in at Toronto. AA should be able to through-tag with no problems. You may find that when that's been done, the AA agent will be able to check you in for the Qantas flight as well and issue you with a boarding pass. But at worst, all you'll need to do is to go to a transfer or service desk at LA when you arrive just to pick up your boarding passes.

Now Qantas has told me they don't guarantee the seats til you check in (economy--thru X) now we arrive in LAX local time 6:46 (if on time) we don't leave LAX on Qantas til 10:30pm.Will we have enough time? ..Qantas told me that we will HAVE to checkin & that the counter doesn't open til 5pm (which won't help us to get there-til after we arrive)..by then might our seats be gone? We've asked for seats 71A&B..I am afraid someone might take those??
If you've been pre-allocated 71AB and you can see them online, they won't be taken away from you unless there's some major problem at check-in, you have been upgraded, or you are so late that check-in has closed and you are treated as a no-show.

The fact that your seat allocations are not guaranteed applies to all airlines, but IME non-US airlines are just better at telling you this. The US market seems to have a real fetish for getting seats pre-allocated at the time of booking, even though it's a desperately inefficient way of running a seat allocation system. This is probably why US airlines are so reluctant to mention the possibility that even they may take your allocated seat away from you.

Qantas will not give away your pre-allocated seats just because someone else asks for them.

In any case, you've got a scheduled stop in LA of almost four hours. Most people who are checking in at LA won't yet be at the airport four hours before departure.

When we booked into Qantas in November last year at 5pm, the gate wasn't even opened and yet the queue went forever. We were at Tom Bradley terminal and after checking in and getting our boarding passes we then had to take our cases over to be X-rayed so we were in another queue for another 30-40 minutes. Finally we were able to go to the lounge.

We have flown out of L.A. twice now and we will never fly out of that airport again. It is a complete shambles with the rudest service people you could ever imagine. I don't envy you in the least having to use that airport.

Fortunately, those who are flying LA to Sydney on Qantas will depart from Terminal 4 rather than the TBIT. Although I've not yet used it myself, by all accounts T4 is much nicer than the TBIT, which as you say is a total zoo.

If you have talked to Qantas and they have already moved your seats from 34A and B to the back, then I am sure you will be fine though I would ring to say that your flight is not arriving until 7.45pm and will they keep your seats.

Jennie

Well I called Qantas AGAIN..she said they'd change the seating IF there was a airplane change..yeah well ok--we'll see--I did ask tho if they do give up those seats will we be together where ever they put us--she said yes..(we were on a flight to Hawaii for the first time (a charter) & I was across the isle from Tom...lets say it WAS a long flight. So I guess I dont' care where they put us as long as we are NEXT to each other for the LONG flight..& our bags will be checked in MN all the way to Sydney & not have to get them & put them thru customs for Sydney. We only will have to get to terminal 4 (have no idea what terminal we come into--but I don't think it is 4) I will go as knowing we will sit together somewhere & thats fine as long as a baby isn't next to us...sorry anyone who has babies--that's a long flight & I always feel so sorry for them with their little ears til they get used to it...although most of them most likely will sleep the whole flight..better than me who always stays AWAKE :eek:

Kehlx2,

If you are flying into LAX on American, you are almost certainly arriving in terminal 4 which will make it a lot easier for you. I can tell you are really worried, but I think you can relax. I would think it would be very unusual to change the type of plane on an international flight because they need the plane both ways. The comment about the seats is just a disclaimer in case something happens. It is probably just a result of our sue happy society and everyone being very careful.

Lisalovee33,

Interesting that your flights do not show on the my reservations at this late of a date. I suspect that your FF number is not yet listed on your reservation. Mine is listed including all the Qantas flights. If you have the record locator you might be able to add it, but it probably does not really matter at this point. Perhaps Celebrity air is not elgible for ff miles? As stated by another poster, the flight from Chicago to LAX is a code share with American and it is really an American flight. Good luck and have a great trip. Let us know how it works out for you. It sure would be nice to be able to check in all the way and get the boarding passes in one place. As stated by Jeannie the international terminal (unless it has improved) is a mess and I do not like going out of that terminal. It always seems to be very crowded. It was not too bad coming back into the U.S.

Kehlx2,

If you are flying into LAX on American, you are almost certainly arriving in terminal 4 which will make it a lot easier for you. I can tell you are really worried, but I think you can relax. I would think it would be very unusual to change the type of plane on an international flight because they need the plane both ways. The comment about the seats is just a disclaimer in case something happens. It is probably just a result of our sue happy society and everyone being very careful.

Thanks for the relief...;) we are flying NWA (Northwest) out of MN..so am planning on asking how to get to terminal 4--as long as we don't have to go down for luggage--we shouldn't have any problems--they should have a shuttle or train or whatever they use to go between terminals. We'll find our way. Now I am just wanting to be on our way..:eek: Ah well have to get the Holidays over & then start thinking of the clothes for sure to take..YUK

We have walked between the terminals with our luggage twice. The first time as from Terminal 4 to Tom Bradley and the other time was from Tom Bradley to Terminal 3 I think. It is not a far walk between each terminal. Much quicker to walk than wait for the shuttle especially if you are worried about seat allocation.

Jennie

Well I called Qantas AGAIN..she said they'd change the seating IF there was a airplane change..yeah well ok--we'll see--I did ask tho if they do give up those seats will we be together where ever they put us--she said yes :eek:

Qantas always uses 747's on the route across the Pacific. It would only be if there was mechanical trouble with one of their planes and they had to resort to a different plane so you should be fine.

If you are worried about babies keeping you awake, they are always put in the centre front of each section of Economy where the cribs are attached to the wall so I doubt if they would give you those seats.

Remember, though, that being at the back of the plane it is much more bumpier and noisier than in the middle or front of the aircraft. We like it because of the two seats together but a lot of people complain about the noise and the movement. It can be quite rough going across the Pacific so be prepared for turbulence. We have had it each time we have flown from the U.S. to Australia (3 times from L.A. and once from Honolulu) in the past 18 months. At least you are flying at night and should be asleep! ;)

Jennie

Qantas always uses 747's on the route across the Pacific. It would only be if there was mechanical trouble with one of their planes and they had to resort to a different plane so you should be fine.

If you are worried about babies keeping you awake, they are always put in the centre front of each section of Economy where the cribs are attached to the wall so I doubt if they would give you those seats.

Remember, though, that being at the back of the plane it is much more bumpier and noisier than in the middle or front of the aircraft. We like it because of the two seats together but a lot of people complain about the noise and the movement. It can be quite rough going across the Pacific so be prepared for turbulence. We have had it each time we have flown from the U.S. to Australia (3 times from L.A. and once from Honolulu) in the past 18 months. At least you are flying at night and should be asleep! ;)

Jennie

Well I am hoping to sleep..I don't mind the noise--helps keep the other noise down--although over night there shouldn't be alot of noise either..One reason I would like the 2 seats is that I would like to keep my legs walking sometimes thru the night (you know the vein thing) & would prefer to not have to crawl over a stranger...ah well it'll work out--as loing as we don't get pushed off the plane when checking in.:eek: I WILL bring ear plugs & might take a motion pill (just incase I suppose)

You will be fine, we always ask for those seats when flying to Europe and that is a long, long flight and can be bumpy over India but we survive.

If by chance you are bumped off those seats, then ask for the two seats in the middle. The one on the aisle and the next one, then at least only one of you has to climb over the other to get out. I know I always want a window but if we couldn't get the two at the back, we would ask for them. At least you haven't got to get up for a stranger to get out.

Enjoy your time here. The plane trip is only a very small proportion of your travel.

Jennie

You will be fine, we always ask for those seats when flying to Europe and that is a long, long flight and can be bumpy over India but we survive.

If by chance you are bumped off those seats, then ask for the two seats in the middle. The one on the aisle and the next one, then at least only one of you has to climb over the other to get out. I know I always want a window but if we couldn't get the two at the back, we would ask for them. At least you haven't got to get up for a stranger to get out.

Enjoy your time here. The plane trip is only a very small proportion of your travel.

Jennie

Oh KOOL Jennie..thanks I never thought about where after that--no need for a window seat--only time to see anything will be a few hours before we land--thats good about the aisle & next one in center--the center should be 4 seats? Or is it 5? GREAT now I have a plan!! :D Yes am so looking forward to seeing all the places we will go to. We are taking a tour of the Great Ocean Road while in Melbourne..hope we have nice weather.

The configuration in the 747 is 3 x 4 x 3 so that is why I suggested the centre in case you lose the back seats.

We are having hot weather here though today is a little cooler. I too hope you have a sunny day for your trip around the Great Ocean Road. It is a perfect drive when the weather is good. Stop off at all the lookouts and take in the views. Remember that our Returned Servicemen from the First World War built this road with picks and shovels. They came back to no jobs so our Government decided to build this wonderful road.

Here is a good website: http://www.greatoceanroad.org/Brand_Highlights.aspx?homepageid=36&brandid=28&highlightid=24

We had a holiday home at Lorne for 27 years so we know that part of Victoria so well. It is our favourite part of Australia.

Jennie

The configuration in the 747 is 3 x 4 x 3 so that is why I suggested the centre in case you lose the back seats.

We are having hot weather here though today is a little cooler. I too hope you have a sunny day for your trip around the Great Ocean Road. It is a perfect drive when the weather is good. Stop off at all the lookouts and take in the views. Remember that our Returned Servicemen from the First World War built this road with picks and shovels. They came back to no jobs so our Government decided to build this wonderful road.

Here is a good website: http://www.greatoceanroad.org/Brand_Highlights.aspx?homepageid=36&brandid=28&highlightid=24

We had a holiday home at Lorne for 27 years so we know that part of Victoria so well. It is our favourite part of Australia.

Jennie

Really interesting site--thanks I will finish reading it but thought I'd thank you--sorta like the Alaska railway in Skagway--being built by hand also

In fact, all the 747s are configured the same way at the very back of the aircraft, so even if there was a change to a differently-configured 747 (QF operates about 4 different configurations) the seat allocations at the very back wouldn't be affected.

But there are other things that might happen, which is why they always give you the disclaimer - for example, something as trivial as your seats being broken.

Remember, though, that being at the back of the plane it is much more bumpier and noisier than in the middle or front of the aircraft. We like it because of the two seats together but a lot of people complain about the noise and the movement.
I don't mind the noise--helps keep the other noise down--although over night there shouldn't be alot of noise either.
The noise at the very back of the aircraft is from the engines. I'm one of those who prefer it quieter, and therefore get a seat at the very front of the economy cabin, which is over the wing and therefore where there is least movement. Qantas reserves a few rows for frequent flyers in this area, as it tends to be where those who fly most often prefer to be. But it has the disadvantages that you already know about.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas & hope the best of the New year to all.

Now I have a question about this long flight...if we are leaving at 10:30 PM LA time..do they feed us before we sleep? Do they then decide when to wake most up to feed you? Can't imagine them going for like 10 hours before serving..I dont' remember if it is a 12½ hr flight or 14½....either way still not sure in all that darkness when they do any snacks or meals--perhaps a snack after we leave & then bed down?

This is what usually happens. When you go on board, you will be given a hot meal. If you aren't hungry and just want to go to sleep, tell the Flight Attendants and they will not disturb you.

During the night you can usually have a snack if you want it, otherwise you just sleep and around 6am-7am (Australian Daylight Savings Time) you will be given breakfast and then land in Sydney at 9am.

We have done it twice from L.A. Once in First Class and were given a magnificent meal at 11pm or later and then once in Business and again we had a good meal. I cannot tell you what the meal will be like in Economy though we flew back from Hawaii in June with them and we were at the back of the plane, and the lunch we were served then was fine.

Jennie

Archived