Princess have given 46 minutes

Shogun

Hi Folks,

Princess expect us to get off an internal flight at NEWARK and board an international flight in 46 minutes.

Have never been to Newark is this possible we are flying second week in Jan so expect holiday rush will be over.

We are flying in from Miami which they say is a three hour flight, so even a small % delay on three hours really cuts into our time.

Any thoughts , advise

yours Shogun

Hi Folks,

Princess expect us to get off an internal flight at NEWARK and board an international flight in 46 minutes.

Have never been to Newark is this possible we are flying second week in Jan so expect holiday rush will be over.

We are flying in from Miami which they say is a three hour flight, so even a small % delay on three hours really cuts into our time.

Any thoughts , advise

yours Shogun

Put on your running shoes. :D

I would not accept that from Princess. Get back with them and demand a change. 46 minutes will not be long enough. Heck, the plane will probably start the boarding procedure 45 minutes prior to flight time. Furthermore, what if there is ice at Newark? Your Miami flight could easily be delayed landing.

I agree with above posters. You could make the flight but it will be a very close call and any delay in Miami would make it pretty much impossible. You should contact Princess and have them change your flights.

We booked our own flights and have only 50 minutes between flights. USAirways told us that anything over 45 minutes is not a problem. So I guess 46 minutes is OK by airlines standards. Often planes are held for connecting passengers if there is a delay.

Hi Folks,

Any thoughts , advise

yours Shogun

We did the reverse in June with 75 mins from Manchester to Honolulu with Continental, and we had to do US immigration which you won't. Not sure which way you're travelling but if it's to Europe you may be OK since most flights leave Newark late. Check out the website http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRating/flightRatingByRoute.do it gives on time performance for routes and flights.

Hi Folks,

Any thoughts , advise

yours Shogun

In Newark, No Way! Especially the second week in January.

IF your flight is an airline to airline transfer, you MAY make it (especially if it is Continental/Continental-all in one nice terminal).

IF it entails two airlines and you have to change terminals, you chances diminish appreciably.

Your luggage may also be a problem.

"Legal" connections posted for airlines are just that-LEGAL and under "NORMAL" circumstances, can be made. Certainly doesn't mean you can make the connection if anything happens.

It would truly help if you posted your flight schedule for further info. Is there an earlier flight getting to EWR??? There probably won't be much you can do about rescheduling the international flight. But you MAY be able to get an earlier flight into EWR.

This certainly is tight, especially considering that most of the int'l flights (excluding London and Paris) have only one flight over the Atlantic per day, so if you miss it then you wait until the next day. If you are on Continental then most of the flights arrive and depart Terminal C, which is do-able if all is on time. Agree with prior poster, that you should look into catching an earlier flight to get you to Newark in plenty of time. Newark has lots of delays, and is part of that air traffic system with LaGuardia and JFK, so it makes things worse! Good luck!!

It really isn't Princess's fault..the airlines are making shorter and shorter connection flights, so many times there is no choice. I would contact Princess or you TA and let them know what the connection time is..maybe there is another flgiht they can get you on.

If you read the threads on these boards many people here have had nightmare stories about flights. Princess does not guarantee you will make it to the ship even if you purchase airline tickets through them! What they will do is sell you travel insurance in the event you have a problem. We normally book our own flights leaving a day ahead in the event we have a problem with the flight. Princess will book you a flight with as many connections or flight times that is the most profitable for them. Some have had real good luck with air booked through Princess and others have not. Newark is one of the busiest airports in the country and I would give yourself plenty of time it saves a lot fustration starting a vacation.

It really isn't Princess's fault..the airlines are making shorter and shorter connection flights, so many times there is no choice. I would contact Princess or you TA and let them know what the connection time is..maybe there is another flgiht they can get you on.

This is incorrect.

Princess books contract air (unless OP has air deviation-not likely with a 46 minute connection).

Visualize a deck of cards-most of the cards represent flights from all over the USA TO Newark. There are a FEW cards which represent international flights to OP's destination FROM Newark.

Princess takes Card 1 (from home airport TO Newark) and puts it together with Card 2 (international flight FROM Newark). Those are the flights you get.

Only reason there is a 46 minute connection-Princess booked THE CHEAPEST flights (which were represented by Card 1).

Princess DOES NOT book a complete flight from home airport to international destination. They do it piecemeal. Don't blame it on the airlines.

In April, my flight from Oakland to Denver was late getting in for absolutely no reason at all. My connecting flight left 3 minutes before I got there. I had a 35 minute window....it wasn't enough.

The next flight that I could be confirmed on was 8 hours later!!!!!!!! Thankfully this wasn't for a cruise!

Change your flight and arrive relaxed.

Cheers, Denise

can't see it happening, as you will be tranfering from a domestic to an international flight, so will need to clear immigration etc.
Not in the US. A domestic -> international connection should be exactly the same as a domestic -> domestic connection, because there is no outbound immigration to clear, and there is no need for another security search (so long as you can do the transfer airside) because the first flight was domestic so you haven't left the TSA system.

If the inbound flight is on time, then 46 minutes is fine. That's what a legal connection is all about. It is feasible if all works out. And if it doesn't, then the airline takes responsibility for the misconnect. However, re-routing can be a real hassle, particularly if the misconnect occurs during bad weather when the system is under pressure already. And you may not want to take a 24-hour delay in getting home, even if you will be fed and housed by the airline in the interim.

It would help, though, to know what the exact itinerary and schedule are.

Hi Folks,

I find this route to be odd, on the way out we fly

Edinburgh , London overnight in Hotel

London Miami Night in Hotel

then FT L by bus to ship

on the way back

Ft L bus to Miami fly to Newark then to Edinburgh,

so on the way out they are giving us loads and loads spare time, last time we flew same day to Ft L.

but on the way back its a bit tight.

We are flying continental which I now understand means only one terminal.

we wil lneed to go through passport control, I assume, is this bad news,

can I assume that our bags once checked in at Miami will get passed onto Edinburgh , flight or do I need to collect them from the first flight.

Thanks for your advise.

yours Shogun

Ft L bus to Miami fly to Newark then to Edinburgh,

we wil lneed to go through passport control, I assume, is this bad news,

can I assume that our bags once checked in at Miami will get passed onto Edinburgh , flight or do I need to collect them from the first flight.

Once the bags are checked in at Miami, they should go straight through to Edinburgh so you don't need to worry about them.

Also, there is no passport control at Newark when you're flying home, so no need to worry about that - or security, either. It should be just the same as a domestic -> domestic connection. If you have a legal connection, your real questions are: Will the inbound flight arrive on time? How long will it take me to get from the arrival gate to the departure gate?

The good news: It is a legal connection; it appears on the Continental website as such.

The bad news: The connection is actually only 41 minutes, as far as I can see. CO539 arrives at EWR at 1904, and CO36 departs at 1945. Some web services will show the connection, and some don't (usually a sign that these consider it too tight to show).

The worst news: Few alternatives to taking a 24-hour delay, if you're flying to EDI and misconnect. You could ask to be put on a later flight to either Heathrow or Gatwick (at least there are possibilities for doing this) and then get a domestic to EDI from either airport, if they'll do that for you, but otherwise it's going to be the next day.

So personally, I would try to get this changed. There are plenty of flights from MIA to EWR.

Newark is one of the absolute worst Airports I have ever been through

The elevators are a joke

If you are disabled forget it

and if you have to change terminals .....no way

In fact I cant think of any airport where you could transfer from Domestic to International in 45 mins particularily with all the security checks that should be in place

Flying is bad enough but USA airports are a total nightmare these days

In fact I cant think of any airport where you could transfer from Domestic to International in 45 mins particularily with all the security checks that should be in place
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you exit to landside there should be no need for a security check between the domestic and international flights at Newark.

Archived