Should they get rid of the Baked Alaska parade?

PoseidonGodoftheSea

How do you feel about Baked Alaska Parades?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Baked Alaska Parades?

• I love them-bring em on!
    • Tone them down-change the music for instance.
    • Give them a complete overhaul (please share ideas).
    • Get rid of it entirely!!!

I'm all for traditions, but this one is painful. I think the march is fun and silly enough to be delightful, but the endless listing of names and applause is just pitiful. I appreciate the people who work behind the scenes but lets recognize them at the farewell ceremony show - or anywhere but the dining room.

We laugh, we clap during the march, we even eat the Alaska. But we hate the rest. (Alternate desserts are a good idea, but I think that's already available. Two people at our table on the Zuiderdam asked for something else and cheerfully received it.)

Kate

Althought I think they are somewhat corny I vote to keep as they give a lot of pleasure and picture taking ops for many people.

I am not an ice cream person and Baked Alaska should be something special not the melted,gooey mess that I have sometimes had plunked down before me.

No, but I did start marching:D I would have twirled a towel but I was not in the linens department and they might have arrested me if I started to twirl the bras and panties:eek:

You didn't clap your hands and cheer for your favorite sales clerk?? :D

I look forward to it. It's sort of a "happy ending" to our cruise, when there's little left to do besides packing to go home. :( We've enjoyed it on four cruise lines. (Princess had the biggest and best Baked Alaska, though.)

You didn't clap your hands and cheer for your favorite sales clerk?? :D

Trish sadly I was not in Nordstrom but in JCPenny where there was not one in sight:eek:

It was strange to hear the music though:)

For those wondering what the song was go to this link to listen to the musical email card, it plays the song. When every I want to think about being on the ship and having the Baked Alaska Parade I just listen and grin:D

http://www.hellocrazy.com/en/view.pl?card_id=377

I love it! Bring it on! I love the parade, and the sparklers, and the music---just everything about it. Except maybe the actual Baked Alaska. If they could just lose the pink ice cream and replace it with brown ;) it would be ideal.

I love it! Bring it on! I love the parade, and the sparklers, and the music---just everything about it. Except maybe the actual Baked Alaska. If they could just lose the pink ice cream and replace it with brown ;) it would be ideal.

I agree with you, Ruth. If it isn't chocolate, it isn't worth it! ;)

what i believe is that it is part of the fun of the party, but instead of on formal night hold it the first night....GET THE PARTY STARTED....and pleezzze offer an alternate dessert.
I totally agree! The first night makes so much more sense.

Never yet had real Baked Alaska on any cruise ship!:( The gooey mush slopped on the plate bears no resemblance to the real thing -

Baked Alaska consists of hard ice cream on a bed of pound or sponge cake, the whole thing is then covered with uncooked meringue. This 'cake' is kept in the freezer until serving time, when it is placed in a very hot oven, just long enough to brown the meringue. Some brown it under a broiler, while I have seen others use a small blowtorch (propane) to brown the meringue.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artbakedalaska.html

I hate it when I get the piece with all the pink. DH always traded with me if he had more chocolate than I did!

I was sorry to miss the parade on our last cruise since that was the night we ended up in the Pinacle. It's one of those traditional things I've always associated with cruising and would hate to see it end.

Yes deep six it. I really dislike the dessert - our waiter always seems disappointed that I don't take it or taking it don't eat it. I do the "twirl" just to please the waiter however.(Especially because I won't wear the stupid chef's hat on the horrible "chef's nite") BTW I did always put on the Dutch girl hat when they did Dutch nite.:)

I enjoy the Baked Alaska Parade. I think it's festive--sparklers and all. I have had baked Alaska that is not the best, but the last three times on Oosterdam and Ryndam, it was wonderful--not soupy or gooey.

It's interesting to note how different dining room staffs do handle this though. On the Ryndam recently, the dining room staff seemed to be really into the event and they were laughing and posing for photos and served it with a stylish flair! ( I do think it would be good to have an alternative desert also.)

:eek: Wow, folks, I can't believe the higher number of voters voted to trash this fun, yes loud, hand-clapping parade of our Servers and Dining Room attendants. I do not, however care for the desert of it's name...just the parade and sound of people having a good time. I would hate to see it go, but it would not ruin our cruise...just one evening's disppointment. - Don :p

Ruth--

Ya gotta eat your Green Ice Cream too, ya know...

;)

Oh, sure, Brian. Pistachio nut ice cream is another of my faves. But they don't use it in Baked Alaska. :(

Oh Ruth I love Pistachio Nut Ice Cream, I always get it when it is on the menu. I can remember one time I was so

disappointed that when I went to order it they told me they were out of it and this was early dining:( I love that stuff even better with extra pistachios on top;) But you are right sadly they do not make Baked Alaska with it but maybe we should come up with a new ideas Chocolate and Pistachio Baked Alaska:D

I voted to keep it, but I do love the tradition more than the dessert. I still wait with anticipation of the lights to dim and the music to start. I get excited to spot our stewards in the parade. I guess it might sound silly to some, but to me its part of being on a cruise.

Ruth and Lisa - pistachio ice cream? I would really love that!

Also, I like the Baked Alaska parade because it's tradtion - but, I could really do without the Master Chef's Dinner. Also, did anyone ever see the "Running of the Moose" they did about 5-6 years ago? The staff wore moose hats and paraded with platters of chocolate mousse. I saw it twice in the Caribbean, which was two times too many!

Joanne

Archived