Best place to keep passport when not traveling?

PoseidonGodoftheSea

I would hate to have my passport locked up in the bank over a long holiday weekend and face an emergency in my family that required me to leave the country. We keep ours in a fire resistant safe in the back of my closet. While that wouldn't do us any good if someone ransacked our house at least it is handy. (Also in case of an evacuation they are handy - we live in hurricane country - just think of al the people who left New Orleans ahead of Katrina and lost absolutely everything in their houses)

Right now I have my passport in a locked wooden file cabinet, does that sound ok? Or should I have it in a safe deposit box?

IMO all important papers incl. passports, Birth Cert. credit card info, bonds, Marriage cert., Military Discharges, Social Security info, insurance policies etc. should be in a fireproof safe.. Believe small safes can be piurchased at a reasonable price from Sam's or other warehouses ...:) Betty

I would hate to have my passport locked up in the bank over a long holiday weekend and face an emergency in my family that required me to leave the country. We keep ours in a fire resistant safe in the back of my closet. While that wouldn't do us any good if someone ransacked our house at least it is handy. (Also in case of an evacuation they are handy - we live in hurricane country - just think of al the people who left New Orleans ahead of Katrina and lost absolutely everything in their houses)

I forgot about that. I live in earthquake country.

Ok, I'm off to the office supply store for a fire proof safe (one of those small ones).

I keep mine in a draw, but after reading this I'm about to move them to the fireproof box we have. Only thing is, I'll go looking for them and panic, so someone here will have to remind me what I did with them.:D :D

On another note, I received an emergency call from my daughter while on the ocean this winter. Her passport was locked in my bank vault and she was leaving on vacation while I would still be away. Why it was in my vault is a long story, and a longer story too about how she got it, but I agree it shouldn't be in a bank over a long weekend if you might need it in an emergency.

Use the safe in each room. Have never had a problem with theft on HAL ships.

It is best to take it with you when you go ashore if you are planning to go further than the docks. Keep them in fron pocket (harder to steal)

If you miss the ship you will need it to get a flight and get into the US. I copy of the passport will not be accepted...

Ruth & Jim

Use the safe in each room. Have never had a problem with theft on HAL ships.It is best to take it with you when you go ashore if you are planning to go further than the docks. Keep them in fron pocket (harder to steal)If you miss the ship you will need it to get a flight and get into the US. I copy of the passport will not be accepted...

Ruth & Jim

Hi, Jim....the op wants answers for when you're not travelling.

Ahoy!

I keep ours in a small fireproof box located the utility closet which has the brooms, vaccum cleaner, various cleaning tools, monsters, etc. No one else in the household (but myself) ever seems to go in there.

Have a GREAT CRUISE!

Bob:)

Ahoy!

I keep ours in a small fireproof box located the utility closet which has the brooms, vaccum cleaner, various cleaning tools, monsters, etc. No one else in the household (but myself) ever seems to go in there.

Have a GREAT CRUISE!

Bob:)

Great place. The burglars won't go there either.:D

Once I had recently returned from a cruise and my passport was still in my purse. I was at the bank and they asked for my ID, so I pulled the passport out. The teller didn't know how to handle it! :eek:

Oh, at home, it's in that drawer---you know, the one with all the other "stuff" in it. We all have one. At least one. :rolleyes:

Top center drawer of my desk until cruise documents arrive, then I put passport case together with document wallet and leave them on top of my desk. Keeping them in view reminds me to book excursions and other trip related chores. The office is in an inordinately secure building.

We keep ours in a fire proof safe (not one of those little boxes that a thief can walk off with but an actual safe with the rest of our valuables in our bedroom closet. If someone ever breaks in and tries to walk off with this baby , the cops will have no problem finding them. Just look for the herniated guy on the front lawn of the house *LOL*

My Dad taught me (posthumously) the importance of being meticulous with important papers.

When he passed away, of course everyone needed all kinds of papers to settle the estate, his insurance, pension, all of that. We knew (hoped) everything was in the big safety deposit box. But were dreading going through a mound of papers wondering what the hell everything was.

God bless my Dad, he had everything in apple pie order. not only neatly folded but in its own envelope with what it was written on the envelope. "Deed to house" "Title for such and such vehicle" "such and such insurance policy" . It made a very difficult task at an extremely difficult time a lot easier. My dad died suddenly so it wasn't like he knew it was coming and had time to get his affairs in order. this is just the way he always was.

I have been the same way ever since , especially with important papers and documents.

Archived