Puerto Costa Maya Update

prescottbob

:) I think I prefer Cozumel to Costa Maya but we did have a nice day the once we visited there. A day by the pool sounds just fine.

I don't know how many times Costa Maya is in Veendam's schedule, but at least once, their substitute visit to Cozumel will be a late departure so that will be lots of fun for guests......(and maybe even some crew.) :)

Veendam will be substituting Cozumel for Costa Maya..... I imagine a number of other ships are doing the same. Or they may skip Costa Maya and have an additional sea day.

According to Cruise Critic's update today (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2192), all of the HAL cruises this winter that were supposed to go to Costa Maya are substituting Cozumel. I believe HAL's website now reflects this if you look at the itineraries, though I have not seen any general announcement about it there. According to the CC article, a few other lines are also substituting Cozumel (which will undoubtedly be crowded as a result!); others are substituting Progreso, sea days, or other ports.

I don't know how many times Costa Maya is in Veendam's schedule, but at least once, their substitute visit to Cozumel will be a late departure so that will be lots of fun for guests......(and maybe even some crew.) :)

We are on the Veendam this Decemeber and we got an email from HAL last week confirming the change. We will be in Cozumel from 11am until Midnight.:eek:

We are on the Veendam this Decemeber and we got an email from HAL last week confirming the change. We will be in Cozumel from 11am until Midnight.:eek:

Lucky you!!! Have a great time. We'd love to be ashore for dinner and 'drinks' and sail late. Only bad part is Cozumel may be very crowded this winter with all the rescheduling being done.

Anyone know if HAL ever offers excursions to some Mayan Ruins from Cozumel??? Was planning this at Costa Maya, but I don't see it as a possible excursion on the list on the HAL site..:confused:

Thanks

Hi, Pam! I've been in that part of the world (on an independent land-based trip, quite a few years ago). There aren't any really interesting ruins on Cozumel itself. The closest would be Tulum, or possibly Coba. You could get there from Cozumel, but it would be a LOOOONNNGGG day. You'd have to take a ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen, and then a car, taxi, or bus to Tulum (or Coba), and then all the same in reverse to return. The ferry runs all day, but not all that frequently, and IIRC, the ground trip from Playa to Tulum (or Coba) would be well over an hour each way.

We have a fairly long port time in Cozumel, but still, this long a trip would be chancy, and wouldn't give you much time to view the ruins even if you could schedule it. Tulum is worth seeing (though it's no Chichen Itza!), but given the time constraints and the logistics, I would ONLY do it via a HAL excursion (which they may add if they can put it together) - unless you're willing to take the chance of having to fly home from Cancun!:rolleyes:

Oh well - worst case, you'll just have to go back someday! :D It's worth it - but if you really want to see Mayan ruins in the Yucatan, I'd recommend doing a ground trip and spending at least two nights right next to Chichen Itza. It takes a full day to see everything, especially since it's so hot that it's much easier if you can take a break at midday. I'll tell you all about it when we meet, if you like!

teachergal, I do know that HAL has done excursions from Cozumel to Tulum in the past---I took it on a Veendam cruise a few years ago. It's possible they can set it up again for those cruises redirected to Cozumel.

I found it to be a very strenuous day, but am very glad I did it. I would recommend it, even for people who have some trouble walking long distances.

Ahoy!

Can be a long...day. Take 'munchies', comfortable shoes, something to read and a jug of bottled water.

The folowing link will give you a some info on a private outfit (please search others/ go to the port boards). As Jim mentioned, HAL excursions (at least in the extended tour category) can be a bit pricey. No need to go through HAL.

http://cozumel-mexico-vacation.com/Mayan-Ruins.htm

Have a GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Thanks to all for the great information. It is actually some friends that we will be cruising with that want to see the ruins. I agree with O2B@C that it might be a better idea to do as a land vacation. With all the crowds that will be in Cozumel the day we will be in port, I may just stay on the ship enjoying our aft veranda.:D

But again, thank you for all the great ideas and possibilities.

Thanks for the update of Costa Maya. I visited this port when I sailed on the Westerdam and really enjoyed it. I didn't stay in the port area, but instead took a taxi to the small fishing village.

I hung out at Pez Quardo at the end of town. I knew that I picked a great spot because quite a few of the Westerdam crew also were there.

Cozumel is ok for one,maybe two visits. But the only way that I would go on shore if I was with others that never been there. Otherwise, that's a great ship day.

P.S. One great thing about HAL ships being in port for so long (when I was on the Oosterdam we were their until 10:00 p.m.) you get to watch all the drunks sailing on another line heading back to their ship. I sat on a bench nearby and it was priceless :eek:

Having done the ship's excursion to Tulum, I wouldn't attempt it on my own, unless the ship was to sail from Coz late in the evening. Yes, it was a long day, and the boat ride to Playa can be rough due to wicked currents between Coz and the mainland.

Archived