Celebrity Galaxy-New and Dry Dock?

frequent cruiser jock

I hope somebody can help me! Me and lots of my friends plan to cruise on the Glaxy in March 2008. A friend of mine just came off her 2 1/2 months ago and told me that she is kind of worn out! Is that true? When is her next dry dock scheduled? Would be great to know, when she gets the new X enhancements!

thank you....

When is her next dry dock scheduled? Would be great to know, when she gets the new X enhancements!

thank you....

The last scheduled Galaxy 11 day cruise is

2008 Departure Dates: Apr 07

The next cruise is May 3rd.

In that two weeks some work will be done but don't expect miracles. You'll be cruising before the renovations.

I hope somebody can help me! Me and lots of my friends plan to cruise on the Glaxy in March 2008. A friend of mine just came off her 2 1/2 months ago and told me that she is kind of worn out! Is that true? When is her next dry dock scheduled? Would be great to know, when she gets the new X enhancements!

thank you....

Hi frequent cruiser,

I agree with C 2 C that the long awaited dry dock for the Galaxy isn't due until next spring. According to most reports the Galaxy does need maintenance in many important areas. Although, in all fairness, it does depend on what condition a passenger expects a ship to be in.

Hi,

On the front page of CC there is an article with a list of what ships are scheduled for dry doc and the Galaxy isn't listed, the Mercury is. How do you know the 2 week period you listed is for dry doc? Is it possible the ship is chartered? I have read a few places that the Galaxy is going in for repairs but have seen nothing official. I am considering a Med cruise on her in Oct. 08.

Hi,

On the front page of CC there is an article with a list of what ships are scheduled for dry doc and the Galaxy isn't listed, the Mercury is. How do you know the 2 week period you listed is for dry doc? Is it possible the ship is chartered? I have read a few places that the Galaxy is going in for repairs but have seen nothing official. I am considering a Med cruise on her in Oct. 08.

It is only speculation at this point since Celebrity has made no official announcement of a drydock. I personally believe it will be going into drydock for work however we cannot be certain until Celebrity issues a press release. Many people on board who are supposedly in the know have said she is going into drydock but they have been notoriously incorrect in the past.

It is only speculation at this point since Celebrity has made no official announcement of a drydock. I personally believe it will be going into drydock for work however we cannot be certain until Celebrity issues a press release. Many people on board who are supposedly in the know have said she is going into drydock but they have been notoriously incorrect in the past.

Dkjretired is right that there has been no official announcement for any dry dock for the Galaxy; what I should have said, in my earlier post, was that rumor has it that the Galaxy MAY go to dry dock this spring. The Galaxy is a beautiful ship with great service, but it does need some major refurbishment.

There is no other open period in Galaxy's schedule that I know of...

And I have heard from a reliable authority that there will be a new specialty restaurant and a renovated Sunset Bar area nicer than Century's.

There were a number of Travel agencies invited to sail on Journey last week and I believe some of the plans will have been revealed to them.;)

.. but these are just rumors..:rolleyes:

Sounds like they are fairly good rumors since I keep reading the people have heard it on the ship. It doesn't effect my decision to sail her, but it would be nice to know. I especially like the rumor of a specialty restaurant being added. On a two week itinerary it would be nice to have another option for dinner.

Galaxy is a beautiful ship, but I'm sure a dry dock would be good thing to keep this ship "shipshape" so to speak.

We are going on Galaxy, 3/7/08 for 10 days to Southern Car. Heard it is worn, but are the things we care about, such as food, rooms and more ok? We got such a great deal that we couldn't pass it by. Let me know if you have any suggestions or remarks.

BJRose

We have booked a great deal on the Galaxy and never sailed her before. Now we are concerned because everyone is saying how worn she is. We are going 3/7/08 for 10 days to Southern Caribbean, and it was a great deal. Please tell me the food and stateroom are ok. All of a sudden we are worried.

Thanks

BJRose

We were on her last February and thought she looked pretty good for her age. We really enjoyed cruising on her.

All of a sudden we are concerned since we didn't think the Galaxy would be as worn as some said. Let me know how the service, food, entertainment and staterooms were to the best of your knowledge. Would appreciate it so much. We got such a deal for 3/7/08, 10 days to the Southern Car. Looks just wonderful and new she was an older ship but heard good things not anything truly bad.

Thanks.

BJRose

Hi, we have a roll call started for this cruise if you want

to come say hello we would be happy to have you with us:)

You will hear many opinions about all the ships. Many people prefer the M class

or a much newer ship. Just depends on what you are looking for.

I will be sailing for my 50th birthday and plan to have

a wonderful time, however old Galaxy is.....10 years? She

is a baby compared to me:D ;)

We have booked a great deal on the Galaxy and never sailed her before. Now we are concerned because everyone is saying how worn she is. We are going 3/7/08 for 10 days to Southern Caribbean, and it was a great deal. Please tell me the food and stateroom are ok. All of a sudden we are worried.

Thanks

BJRose

Hi BJRose, Just found a thread that describes what needs to be replaced or fixed during the hoped for dry dock next year. The title of the thread is "Galaxy drydock 2008 improvements". Sorry I don't know how to copy links. The service will still be as great as it always has been. Celebrity has changed chefs and we will all have to wait and see how the food is going to be. The staterooms might be another story as there have been many reports that some of this maintenance is long overdue. The end result will return the Galaxy to its former great self.

Hope this helps.

Hi BJRose, Just found a thread that describes what needs to be replaced or fixed during the hoped for dry dock next year. The title of the thread is "Galaxy drydock 2008 improvements". Sorry I don't know how to copy links. The service will still be as great as it always has been. Celebrity has changed chefs and we will all have to wait and see how the food is going to be. The staterooms might be another story as there have been many reports that some of this maintenance is long overdue. The end result will return the Galaxy to its former great self.

Hope this helps.

Here's the link, note there is not an addition of a specialty restaurant and still no official annoucement from Celebrity.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=630349&highlight=Galaxy+Drydock+2008+Improvements

Bummer - We are booked on the 4/7/08 sailing, so I guess we get the worn out version prior to drydock. We were on Century the last cruise before the refurb, and it was getting worn. I'm not a nit-picker by no means, but the need for a refurb was obvious - not to mention the dreadfully worn out mattresses. I sure hope they have at least replaced mattresses on Galaxy, so I don't have to be begging for mattress pads just to make the bed marginally sleepable. I had heard that many of the glass panes in the forward observation deck were ruined - I wonder if those have been fixed?

Ken

I sure hope they have at least replaced mattresses on Galaxy, so I don't have to be begging for mattress pads just to make the bed marginally sleepable. I had heard that many of the glass panes in the forward observation deck were ruined - I wonder if those have been fixed?

Ken:

Nice to hear from you again after all those NLV posts. The bedding was replaced last year, the windows won't be fixed until the drydock after your stay.

Arno

The worn battered vs. grand dame discussion has been going on since before I first sailed on her at the end of 2005. At the beginning of 2007 after having sailed aboard her again, I wrote in my review:

"The condition of the Galaxy was fine. Maybe a tad more worn than last year, but I hardly say anything which would "ruin" a cruise. That is, unless as we all know, you are someone who is sailing her for the first time and expecting gleaming, shiny, newness all around you. With the exception of some rust needing paint touch up, the ship is clean. One night I was walking across the pool deck to get to the spa and they were out pressure washing and scrubbing the pool deck which many complain is so old and worn, and thought to myself perhaps that is one reason why it is so worn! And no they have not replaced the windows in the Stratosphere! Yes, they do look like hell from the outside, but for me personally, I never go up there so they do not bother me." :) :rolleyes:

For the itinerary, imho she is well worth sailing. Our family seriously considered sailing aboard her again this year over Christmas/New Year's, but the 4 kids in the family requested Aruba instead, so we will suffer through that. ;)

The Ship seems fine to us. We are doing the Galaxy three cruises in a row. Cabin 8088. It will be interesting to see the "before" and "after". On our last cruise they had serveral crated windows brought on board. Were they ever installed?

The truth is we are too chicken to try another line. Celebrity is the only thing we know and we love it. We celebrate our 25th anniversary next March (08).

C2C - Hello to you and your DW. Hope all is well. I hope I never have to write about noro again, forever. Thanks for the info on the bedding, that's great, and it's a relief to hear about it. I certainly wish we were on Galaxy after the refurb so we could see the all changes. We haven't been back on Century yet since the refit, and would like to do so someday. We don't care for those 5 day intineraries they have been doing here in FL.

I mentioned the Century being worn, but there wasn't anything to detract from the cruise, other than the disgusting worn out mattress - ours was very bad. Heck, I'd even settle for an old fashioned cruise ship mattress, in good condition. I also had to get a mattress pad on Mercury because the mattress was in deplorable condition.

I never expect a new ship, unless it IS new, and I know Galaxy isn't new. I'm sure it will be clean and as well kept as possible, as all of the X ships have been when we sailed them.

Ken

Last March aboard Galaxy, I experienced the best food, service, and fellow passengers of any of my previous 13 cruises. The ship is in beautiful condition and the talk of "long overdue drydock" is way overblown. We had sailed aboard HAL's almost new Westerdam a year prior to sailing Galaxy and my wife couldn't tell me which ship is older. She was shocked to learn that Galaxy was older than Westerdam.

Archived