Do you enjoy hallway banter?

Aussie Cruisers

Dear Mark:

You're my kind of person. I'm the person who gets on an elevator last, turns toward the rest of the people and ask, "I bet you're all wondering why I called this meeting." It breaks them up every time, and I've met and conversed with a lot of people that way. The last time, aboard Infinity last March, I did that three times. People never know what to do on an elevator, and laughing at me is better than just looking up at the numbers as they light up.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Don't mind if I groan at that comment. My hubby has been using it for more years than I can remember and we've been married for over 39.

To All: "Motivational Speaking" is my forte......Unfortunately, on these threads the writer and the writee can often be misunderstood.........

I want YOU as my friends.....I want YOU to always feel free to "banter" with me.....I want YOU to accept MY apologies for any misunderstanding between us, that I may have caused.....

Humbly,

Roz

DH and I are very friendly, chatty type people. We love meeting new people on board. 28 years ago on a cruise,while standing in line to board, I started a conversation with a couple from Texas. I had never heard such strong Texas accents before. We are still friends to this day:) We always say something when passing through the halls, or riding the elevators. Usually DH has some sort of remark that gets people going,,,and going! I call him Chatty Kathy, like the dolls they used to have by Matel, about 40 years ago, where you pull the string, and they talk, and talk, and talk...:D

DH and I are very friendly, chatty type people. We love meeting new people on board. 28 years ago on a cruise,while standing in line to board, I started a conversation with a couple from Texas. I had never heard such strong Texas accents before. We are still friends to this day:) We always say something when passing through the halls, or riding the elevators. Usually DH has some sort of remark that gets people going,,,and going! I call him Chatty Kathy, like the dolls they used to have by Matel, about 40 years ago, where you pull the string, and they talk, and talk, and talk...:D

Ida....at least all they did was talk;) Mattel would be happy

if all their toys did what they were supposed to do at this point

in time:eek:

Two cruise chat stories (both absolutely true). One cruise we were leaving from Tampa, stayed overnight the night before. We were traveling with another couple. The other wife kept running into a stranger couple, everywhere in the hotel, joked and chatted with them "we have to stop meeting like this" sort of thing.

Another time we arrived the night before our cruise into FLL. The bags were not coming. And not coming. And not coming. Everyone was angry, and my husband struck up a conversation with a guy at baggage claim, both bemoaning their fate.

In BOTH instances, those people the next day turned out to be our dinner tablemates!

So be careful what strangers you grumble at

Warmwinds - Boy, did you nail it.

We were on a two week (glorious) Alaska cruise. We had a CS, but after several days had still not seen or heard hide nor hair of our CS neighbors right next door. Our butler swore there were people in the cabin, we just kept missing the opportunity to say "hello". We got to Juneau.

We took the Pilots Choice helicopter ride (gorgeous/incredible/highly recommended). I don't know if you've done that excursion - they situate you in the helicopter based upon weight distribution. My DH and an older lady were in the front with the pilot, I was in the back seat, and seated next to me was an older gentleman (I don't remember the 1 or 2 people next to him). I smiled at my seat mate, he ignored me. After several unanswered smiles, I gave up. We landed on the glacier (ahhhhh). Everyone was milling about, sharing our wonder, laughing and talking...except the older gentleman and the older lady. Then I overheard their conversation - his camera battery had gone dead and he hadn't brought a spare. He wasn't unfriendly, just unhappy!:p I apologized for overhearing their conversation and offered to send them copies of all the pictures we took that day. My DH and I (mostly my DH, I'm not supposed to touch the camera:rolleyes:) insisted on taking lots of pictures of this now smiling and VERY friendly couple.

You're wondering why I mentioned our CS neighbors? You guessed it. These WERE our cruise neighbors!:eek: Small world.

The end to the story is actually bad news followed by good news. We knocked on their door later that evening to invite them for cocktails - no answer. We never saw them again. We had their e-mail address, so when we got home we sent the pictures and told them how sorry we were to have never seen them again. No response. We resent, and resent again. After several months we got a reply.

The nite we left Juneau, the gentleman had suffered a heart attack and had to be airlifted.:eek: We had no idea! He was responding to our e-mail, thanking us for the pictures from his home - he was fully recovered, thank Heaven!:) Although their trip ended horribly, he thanked us profusely for our willingness to talk to strangers.;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

How can so many of you miss the most important things in life--and by so much???

Denise clearly said--OK, wrote--"drinks all around"--and it apparently sailed right over your heads!!

Denise, let's not get sidetracked into who hurt whose itty-bitty feelings, let's concentrate on the logistics of "drinks all around":D

Kman

How can so many of you miss the most important things in life--and by so much???

Denise clearly said--OK, wrote--"drinks all around"--and it apparently sailed right over your heads!!

Denise, let's not get sidetracked into who hurt whose itty-bitty feelings, let's concentrate on the logistics of "drinks all around":D

Kman

:D:D:D Ask not for whom the bar bill tolls...it tolls for ME!!!;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

Very interesting thread! DH and I are both very friendly while on cruises. As a Southern Californian though, I find it fascinating how friendly people are when driving in other parts of the world.

It sure isn't that way here! You don't wave in So. Cal. to anyone unless you know them on a first-name basis. Mostly, you stare them down, fight for lane position and hope they don't try to cut you off. Most people are busy snipping nasty comments about the other drivers while they're driving, i.e. George Carlin's "everyone who drives faster than you is a moron and everyone who drives slower than you is an idiot!" kind-of mentality. :o

Sure is refreshing to know people are more friendly in other places when driving! :)

A French Martini, then A Martini Delight, Then A Peach,

Then A Creamy Chocolate.......oh and later in the evening

An Aspen Coffee please.:)

Denise is buying? I am not proud.....;) :D

:) Uh oh...I'm going to need to get a better paying job...and learn to like martinis!;) There's going to be an awful lot of us stumbling into the elevator, waiting for Bobbyleduck to call the meeting to order...at 3:00 in the morning!:D:D

Happy, very happy, cruising!

Denise

Denise, I am afraid that you are on your way from the Penthouse (suite) to the poorhouse. Those drinks can get expensive, and "all around"? Hoo, Boy!!:D

Incidentally, by way of sidling up to the actual topic of this thread I will say that, although I do not think that I am un-friendly, do not think that I project negativity, I really don't think that I've ever (maybe very rarely) had much more corridor conversation than the basic hi how are you today/ did you have a good day today --kind of thing. Conversations in "places", but almost no stopping in the hallway to chat. Maybe that's because I tend to walk somewhat purposefully.

I'll be more attuned on the Connie next month.

Kent

Denise, I am afraid that you are on your way from the Penthouse (suite) to the poorhouse. Those drinks can get expensive, and "all around"? Hoo, Boy!!:D

Incidentally, by way of sidling up to the actual topic of this thread I will say that, although I do not think that I am un-friendly, do not think that I project negativity, I really don't think that I've ever (maybe very rarely) had much more corridor conversation than the basic hi how are you today/ did you have a good day today --kind of thing. Conversations in "places", but almost no stopping in the hallway to chat. Maybe that's because I tend to walk somewhat purposefully.

I'll be more attuned on the Connie next month.

Kent

:D I think you're right!;) I've noticed how many of you noticed!:eek: Now who's going to break it to my DH?;)

Friendly chit chat is friendly chit chat, (don't you think?), whether it's in the hallway, elevator or the (famous) Martini bar. By the way, I like your word - corridor - sounds more ship like. I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Connie.:)

Denise

Actually, without having been in the Navy, I came close for awhile, and this may not come as news to some people, but the naval term for a hallway is, passageway, floor is deck, ceiling is overhead, stairway is ladder and of course there are more.

I'm not big on martinis, but I can see how the Martini Bar would be a good place for chitchat because if one didn't pause regularly and for extended perios of time for conversation, he/she would surely be on his/her back before long!

Kent

:) Uh oh...I'm going to need to get a better paying job...and learn to like martinis!;) There's going to be an awful lot of us stumbling into the elevator, waiting for Bobbyleduck to call the meeting to order...at 3:00 in the morning!:D:D

Happy, very happy, cruising!

Denise

And I'll be quite able to call and host the meeting, because, as many of you already know, I don't drink. When I'm around there's always a designated driver available. Fortunately, for many, that isn't necessary on board the cruise ship.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Do you have that copyrighted? I just might try it myself if I get up the guts. Very funny.

No, and you're welcome to use it. I can't be in all elevators at all times, so the more the merrier. You know, kind of like that St. Nicholas fellow.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

First....I am a Brit. Ahah....I hear you say.....reserved , unsmiling , not friendly....keep out of her space.

The next thing you need to know is that I am also Welsh, and from the South Wales Valleys. Here everyone knows everyone else, everyone smiles , and everyone speaks. Here if you stand for 10 mins. , with a total stranger , at a bus stop , you learn what they had for dinner, what their daughter did last night, what the doctor told their husband last week...you get the picture. Our hobby is talking .

Why am I on this thread ? To share with you my theory.... It is my belief that all you self confessed chatterboxes, smilers and talkers, who's predecessors have spread throughout the world all have one thing in common.....someone back in your ancestry must have once lived near mine !! :D

Incidentally....to all of you who wished to sail with Bobbyleduck at some time...luckily we are..on the transatlantic trip he mentioned. We have a very good roll call going, and I can not wait to be in the lift with him !!

Dear Jennie:

You're a joy and I hope you're getting over your cold. If you have read about it elsewhere, you need to ask George, Pamela, Donna, David and the rest about how I introduced myself to them while waiting to board Infinity last March, at Port Everglades.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Don't mind if I groan at that comment. My hubby has been using it for more years than I can remember and we've been married for over 39.

Dear Karen:

The elevators aboard Millenium may be overwhelmed by the two of us. My wife and I have been married 31 years (September 25). I can't wait to meet you both in person. Maybe, just maybe, it will be on an elevator (lift).

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

What is a french martini:confused: Just curious...sounds interesting.:D

It is Vodka, Chambord...(that would be black raspberry liquor),

and pinapple juice as the mixer. Shaken.....add an orange twist to garnish.

I learned about this drink before my 1st Celebrity cruise...been

hooked ever since;)

OK since we're all at the Martini Bar....

I did not mean to upset anyone. I love to say hello in the hallway. I really like the elevators the best. It doesn't matter to me who anyone is. I get so charged with everyone's energy when I am on board I could flip since its sooooo cool to me.

I Swear to God I have never had a bad time saying hello to anyone, I'd be disappointed in me if I did not at least provide a smile. I have found incredible moments of intimacies with strangers when a word or a smile or a look tells an entire story and those sharing are all totally in that moment, and that moment might last for a minute, maybe two, but its a punctuation mark in time that is can be warm or happy or funny or silly, but no matter what it is very enjoyable.

I don't find that kind of magic in any other place as much as I do while on board, and I think elevators are absolutely just the best place for that kind of magic to be found.

Now...my turn to buy a round!!!:) I'm sorry if it got crazy.:o

Lois... another French Martini drinker!!! I don't order anything else because none of the others taste as good to me. I always end up wishing I'd just had the French, ya know? For anyone interested in making one, it's 2 oz vodka (usually they use Grey Goose) and 2 oz Chambord, a splash of pineapple juice, shaken over ice... garnish with a curl of orange peel. I had never had a martini before I cruised X. Now I have a collection of martini glasses and the only thing I ever drink out of them are French martinis.

If we ever end up on a cruise together, let's meet and have one... or two... :)

MECruzr

Archived