Something a little different:)

Lynne Myrna

Before our cruises, something always breaks...this has happened to us many times. On our last cruise, our water heater broke, the cruise before that, our stove hit the dust....the cruise before that, our heating system went.....was wondering if anyone else had this problem? What's going next?:(

Lynne:)

We left on HAL cruise in 03 and while we were gone we had a pet sitter coming to the house once a day. Left on Sunday. Monday morning she came in and the powder room toilet had water shooting out the back like a fountain, she said. The tile floors had about an inch or two of water on them and the rug in the living room was all wet as well as the rug in the dining room. She had to find a plumber who fortunately came quickly and got the water shut off. Then ServPro had to come with big fans and had to suck up the water.....it goes on and on. We were notified on the cruise so we didn't have a good time for a day or two and then said, well, we can't change it so we had an attitude adjustment and made the best of the situation. Came home to a mess. She really was a lifesaver, though!! It could have been much worse.

Moral of the story is we now shut the water off before we go and she carries in water for the pets.

Before our cruises, something always breaks...this has happened to us many times. On our last cruise, our water heater broke, the cruise before that, our stove hit the dust....the cruise before that, our heating system went.....was wondering if anyone else had this problem? What's going next?:(

Lynne:)

Before our last cruise the 'fridge, dryer, and vacuum gave in. The dishwasher tried it as well, but we were able to fix that ourselves.:mad:

john

It's almost always tires or something else to do with my car. Never fails. Or, almost never. Nothing happened this last March before I boarded the Ryndam. But ... then ... the cruise was cut short by the need to quarantine the ship and crew, so one might say that the SHIP broke! :d

Hopefully my demons have already occurred - last week the drainage hose came off the back of the washing machine, which emptied itself after the wash cycle with soapy water pouring out of the laundry room. Fortunately, the laundryroom and the room outside of it are marble tile, which saved serious damage, but some did manage to get into the den carpet. I caught it as it was just hitting the carpet, and threw down every towel in the house to stop more from getting there, then mopped the rest into the garage. Had to get Stanley Steemer to clean up the den carpet, and spent a few days skating around the marble tile which was still slick with soap after repeated moppings.

I'm hoping that'll be the gremlin for this trip, and it just came early!

Lynne - Your water broke!?? .... oh..... I may have read that a tad too quickly. ;)

I do remember your water heater breaking before our last cruise. Let's have none of that, this time!

I've been very lucky. No. Wait a minute. I was cramming my blender into my suitcase when I broke a fingernail. Does that count? :D I'm thinking of suing Samsonite.

One of the major causes for water damage and insurance claims is the rubber water hoses that attach to the clothes washer rupturing. In my long (and sometimes storied) construction, real estate and home inspection career, I always recommended either turning the water supply valves off, installing stainless steel lines instead of the lousy rubber ones, or both!:)

My DH was hospitalized right before our Maasdam cruise with 10 family members. Although he was ok and back to work before the cruise left, he missed three weeks of work so he cancelled going with us.

On our last Christmas cruise, he got very sick again and was in the infirmary on Christmas eve and almost sent home.

Odd because he's an otherwise healthy 44 year old.

We're going on the Noordam in 6 weeks, so I've got my eye on him ;)

Just before our last cruise, the main drain line from our house to the city lines in the street blocked up. (It doesn't just happen on ships. ;) ) Any water we used backed up. Thankfully, I was able to immediately get a plumber and one of the electric snake guys who put down hundreds of feet and got it cleared. While we were gone, we had contractor ripping up our front yard fixing who knows how many feet of pipe.

My neighbors told me when I got home they were thrilled I wasn't here to see the work being done. They said it was a horrible mess. But the contractor did a great job and everything looked 'normal' when we returned.

Tires?

Time for a new car!

;)

LOL

That was once the case, but not now.

In January, 2 days before my flight to New York for the Noordam cruise, I was on the interstate about 10 car lengths behind a truck that dumped a box load of nails onto the street. I couldn't swerve due to traffic on either side. I blew all four tires. So did most of those around me. It was a horrible and it was truly a miracle that I didn't flip with the blow outs (I was going at least 60 mph at the time) or that someone else didn't hit me.

Just before the Voyage of the Spammed, last October, someone shoved a knife into the tire of my new Monte Carlo while it was parked outside the church offices.

The Sunday before the Noordam Inaugural I came out to get in my car to drive to church and noticed that I had a flat tire.

About a week before my January 06 cruise on the Oosterdam I had a blow out of one tire due to (yes, again) debris on the highway.

In short, it's a never ending saga. Makes me wonder what's about to happen next month, as we approach our cruise on the Volendam. Frankly, I'm looking for wood to knock on. :D

Before our last cruise I thought I would check on things. I found the Refridgerator running, but I was able to catch it before it got down the driveway.

I also checked the spare tire. It was still there even though I tried to diet before the cruise.

And then after our cruise our bank account was broke for a while.headbang.gif.a7a461a13b26dbe24c05ded9c1569fe7.gif

OMG.......Rev Neal.....get a bicycle:)...& keep it in your rectory....then take a cab to the airport.....that is horrible that this had to happen.

Oh, it's pretty normal. :)

But what's weird is that it always seems to happen around cruise time. :)

Has happened to us with just about any vacation.

Water heater was wheezing and spilling water as we walked in after a cruise.

Huge broken pipe flood from upstairs to downstairs, just before NCL cruise.

Returned in winter from cruise and the heater in our waterbed had failed. Very cold sleeping that night...

The list goes on.

BUT, that won't stop us from cruising!!!

Just before our last cruise, the main drain line from our house to the city lines in the street blocked up. (It doesn't just happen on ships. ;) ) Any water we used backed up. Thankfully, I was able to immediately get a plumber and one of the electric snake guys who put down hundreds of feet and got it cleared. While we were gone, we had contractor ripping up our front yard fixing who knows how many feet of pipe.

My neighbors told me when I got home they were thrilled I wasn't here to see the work being done. They said it was a horrible mess. But the contractor did a great job and everything looked 'normal' when we returned.

Same thing on this end except it happened while my DD and I were cruising together. DH got to deal with the mess and the people who replaced the pipe to the sewer.

One of the major causes for water damage and insurance claims is the rubber water hoses that attach to the clothes washer rupturing. In my long (and sometimes storied) construction, real estate and home inspection career, I always recommended either turning the water supply valves off, installing stainless steel lines instead of the lousy rubber ones, or both!:)

Good advice!

We turn it off between each use of the clothes washer. That makes it a habit, so then we don't need to check it as we are running out the door to go cruising.

We've even taken to turning off the house water entirely as we leave. Neighbors usually check on things and they can turn the water on, if it is needed.

DH and I were seriously talking about taking a short, inexpensive cruise out of Charleston, SC...no air involved. I just about had him talked into it, when my mother called and asked us to go with them to the Mediterranean next June. After making arrangements and down payments for that cruise (also, two of our children called to say that they had car accidents,) I asked DH about OUR cruise and he said "sorry, I'm broke!" :(

On the day we were moving out of our house, the new owners had a walk through and discovered that our water heater was leaking. We had just been in the basement a few hours earlier and everything was fine. Then, a week later we moved into our brand new home and the water heater was leaking! While we had to pay for the old water heater, luckily the new one was still under warranty.

this only happens to us when we are about to put our house up for sale. this year I expect the heater to go out. It is old, probably needs replacing and we are relocating in the spring.

Nita

A home knows when its owners are abandoning them and they tend to act up. I always recommend a pre-sale home inspection. Many agents will credit you the cost, at closing. This way you minimize the potential for surprises, especially in this market.

With us, it's usually some freaky illness that requires a doctor visit. Once I was stung by a wasp and the stinger had to be removed from my ear lobe before I left. I've had ear infections, sinus infections, eye infections, etc...usually about a week before we leave. My latest trick is to have my back go out as I'm bending to pack, so now I put the suitcase up on a table so I don't have to bend. This last trip I was healthy, but DH had pneumonia and was home for two weeks before we left.

Hopefully, this year will be uneventful.

A home knows when its owners are abandoning them and they tend to act up. I always recommend a pre-sale home inspection. Many agents will credit you the cost, at closing. This way you minimize the potential for surprises, especially in this market.

Oh, our house was inspected. :rolleyes: The water heater was only 4 years old, too!

mamaofami - I'm with you! It's usually a mysterious illness or dental that gets either DH or myself. With my parents, it's a cold or worse. My father wasn't feeling well on one of our cruises and ended up having a quadruple heart by-pass two days later. :eek: Now y'all know why I am so concerned about his insurance!

Before our Maasdam Rotterdam to Boston cruise in’05 my pocket was picked of my wallet while changing trains in Brussels. No money lost but still a pain to get CC’s cancelled and a new drivers license.

During the same cruise we got word that our house had been broken into. TV’s and DVD players were taken and the car was stolen from the garage. The car was found abandoned in a ditch several miles away with no damage. The police investigated but we have heard nothing since. The police left a real mess with the carbon they spread around to detect fingerprints. It doesn’t wash off! I had to repaint some of the woodwork.

Archived