What Happened to Wednesday?

bobpatj

Greetings from somewhere in the Bering Sea

Today is Thurs., Sept. 27th. Yesterday was Tues., Sept. 25th. We had no Wed. the 26th due to crossing the International Dateline, last night.

Every since we left Seattle and sailed into the open ocean, it’s been a bumpy ride. The ship, meals and activities have been great and we’re having fun, in spite of the rough seas and cloudy and cool days.

Things of interest to you:

1) The Amsterdam now has wireless internet in the cabins, though in our cabin on deck 3, it only works when our door is open.

2) We have TWO dining times, early and main.

3) We have had an INFORMAL night.

4) We had a good turnout of CC members, from our Roll Call, and many more gatherings are scheduled in the weeks to come. Our Trivia team is made up of CC members. (We’re still looking for a win.)

5) My guess is that the average age, of the pax, is 70+. In spite of age, I can’t remember so many people turning out for the “Sports of Call” events, to earn Dam Dollars.

Staff:

Captain - Dirk van der Berg

Hotel Manager - Henk J. Mensink

Cruise Director - Bruce Scudder

I don’t plan to post too often, but when I do check in, I will try to answer any questions. This is a great way to begin a long cruise, if you like sea days.

Pat, thanks for posting and checking in:) I have to admit I had to improvise when I did today's Where's the Fleet because I use a Excel Worksheet program from HAL of where their fleet is daily and for Wednesday September 26th they do not even show the ship:eek: So I just placed her at Sea;)

Pat! It's so good to hear from you! It sounds like you and Bob are having a good time. That's great!

And it's nice to hear about the dining and dress code differences from what HAL has changed to. Maybe because this is a very long cruise, attracting traditional passengers, they've returned to what we all knew?

You've got a great CD there. I remember Bruce Scudder from the time he was music director.

Any sign of Maurice? ;)

Today is Thurs., Sept. 27th. Yesterday was Tues., Sept. 25th. We had no Wed. the 26th due to crossing the International Dateline, last night.

Isn't that strange??? We flew to Korea in January and 'lost' a day on the way there as well. Then we got home before we left! Really. We left at 3:30pm on Sunday and got home at 2:30pm on Sunday. I know all the explanations for it, but it still boggles my mind.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Robin

Pat,

So good to hear from you! I'm jealous as can be ... I'd love to be on that cruise, myself!!!! Give Bob my best!

When you see Henk, tell him hello from "RevNeal" and thank him for me, again, for he wonderful but shortened cruise on the Ryndam this past March. He's a prince of a Hotel Manager!

Hi Pat! DH and I are sailing the Amsterdam next April, so I'd love to read your comments! In particular, I just read a recent review of the Amsterdam that suggested that the ship was "shabby" (worn carpets, etc.) and in need of an upgrade--are you finding that to be the case?

Also, I'm surprised to hear that there is an "informal" night on your cruise--I thought that HAL was only doing "formal" and "smart casual" now? How long is your cruise?

Please post more when you get a chance! :)

Thanks for posting, Pat. I'm looking forward to following this thread.

Sounds like a great cruise. I love sea days and the feel of the ship in slightly rough seas.

What is your itinerary? How long is the cruise? What type of cabin are you in?

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for posting, Pat. I'm looking forward to following this thread.

Sounds like a great cruise. I love sea days and the feel of the ship in slightly rough seas.

What is your itinerary? How long is the cruise? What type of cabin are you in?

Enjoy your cruise!

Susie, Bob and Pat are on the 32-day Seattle to Singapore leg of the 64-day Asia, Australia, and Polynesia cruise. They disembark the Amsterdam in Singapore October 24, and the Amsterdam will continue the journey from Singapore to San Diego, arriving in the U.S. on November 24.

Major stops along the way are port cities in Russia, Japan, South Korea, China, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, New Caledonia, Fiji, Samoa, and Hawaii.

Last time we flew from Australia to US for our Alaskan cruise, we departed here on my son's 13th Birthday. We arrived in Honolulu for a stopover the DAY BEFORE his birthday. He then had another birthday the next day!! What 13 year old boy wouldn't make the best of that!! Having his birthday twice!!Flew Air Canada and they really made a fuss of him...Birthday Cake, present etc!!

Of course coming home we lost a day

Oh, you had some part of the 26th all right - it "swept over" you in the night. The 25th will never "abut" the 27th, so you had to have had some 26th!

1) The Amsterdam now has wireless internet in the cabins, though in our cabin on deck 3, it only works when our door is open.

By "deck 3" I assume you mean the Lower Promenade? If yes, what cabin, please? I'll be in 3385 and would be very happy to have wifi access from the cabin! :)

Pat - It's great to hear from you. For whatever reason, the other day I noticed this cruise was underway - and of course, I wondered how you and Bob were doing. Even if you have to wait until you return, please let us know about your cruise. It is on our 'someday' list.

Archived