Deposit Shock

gooch47

We almost always use Princess Future Cruise Credit thingies since we almost always cruise on Princess.

We've booked a cruise on NCL for July of 2008 and last night had to put down a $1,000 deposit for two cabins. Our money be tied up for about 10 months.

We're spoiled rotten by Princess.

We have something like 5 open bookings available with Princess right now, because we got caught once (once!) without one, and it was a hard lesson to learn. But this also points out why our Princess cruises tend to be booked far in advance; our Celebrity and RC cruises about 2 months or so. Not always, but generally. We now always have an FCC on hand in case a great Princess deal comes up after final payment (as they frequently do) just for the OBC.

We almost always use Princess Future Cruise Credit thingies since we almost always cruise on Princess.

We've booked a cruise on NCL for July of 2008 and last night had to put down a $1,000 deposit for two cabins. Our money be tied up for about 10 months.

Try the deposits with HAL - they're the worst!!! For the 4 of us, it's $1,400 for only a 7 night cruise! :eek: :eek:

Star117, you can buy as meany as you want, as far as I know. They are $100 per person. Usually I just keep a couple as I figure I will be on one cruise to buy more before I use up the second one. But like some said, they have 5 or more in hand.

I always have at least two on hand to use. Since I seem to be taking about two Princess cruises a year, I always get another one when I'm onboard so I'm ahead. For instance, I recently used one to book my Baltic cruise next summer but I'm on Princess again in November so I'll get one then.

I have used FCC only once, and I note posts on this thread by people much more experienced than I who have not questioned your use of 9 FCC's.

We recently booked a cruise for which we used one of our two FCC's to book a single cabin for self and DW. The FCC covered my deposit of $100, only $100 more (on credit card) was required for DW's deposit; each of us has received an OBC; and we can do it again, using our other FCC to get the same deal on another cruise.:)

Kman

You don't have to use one per person to book a cruise - use one FCC and pay the additional $100pp deposit for second pax in cabin. I have done this many times, and the second pax gets the same discounted deposit and OBC.

You will have to use one FCC for each cabin.

I thought having 6 in my hip pocket would be enough, until I decided to book b3b for DH, step-son and me. Yikes. Ate up 9 of those wonderful little things. I try to keep a deeper inventory than six on hand always, since I never know when a great cruise or great cruise deal will appear.

Don't know if you realize that you only need one FCC per cabin, the others can be deposited with a cc for just $100 also. If you had 6 FCC's, then you could have booked 6 cabins. If you booked directly through Princess, just call them if you want to make a change. Same with your TA if you went that way.

According to my TA, starting today (9/27) through next Thursday (10-4), Princess is having a special where the deposit is only $100 pp. It could be extended for another week, but is definitely available from 9/27 to 10/4. (Last fall, we booked on 9/16 which was the last day of the $100 pp deposit "special.")

Friends of ours that went with us on Sapphire in Jan 06 booked their honeymoon on the Sea for this past March. They had to put down $1000 for the 2 of them, since it was a 14 day cruise. They were crying about that and I just held up my hand and reminded them how they questioned why I bought 2 FCC's on the Sapphire and was letting Princess have my money for up to 4 years. Sure enough, they went on the Sea, didn't buy the FCC again, and now are booked on the Grand for Christmas and whining about the deposit LOL.

Not that it matters too much, because right after Christmas last year when it was time to come up with their final payment, you should have heard the whining. I can only imagine if they hadn't already put that $1000 down LOL.

Am thinking about my first 14 dayer and looking to avoid the deposit sticker shock w/either the 100 deposit special or FCC which I can buy in December if the special doesn't apply.

But a question on FCC if folks don't mind here...If I buy two while my daughter and I are on our next cruise and then want to book two cabins on this future cruise that is tempting me, doesn't she have to be in one room and me in the other for the 2nd occupants of both cabins to get the $100 deposit too? That as opposed she and I booking into same cabin. If that was done then couldn't use the FFIC on the other cabin and they would face the fulll deposit but still get the OBC.

Thanks (sorry if not stating question clearly)

Sharon

We're booked on our third Princess cruise, but I'm not familiar with these FCCs. Can someone enlighten me? Is is just something that you puirchase ahead of time and use toward a deposit once you decide on a cruise?

Yes, you purchase FCC's onboard. They are $100. When you decide to book a cruise, you use one of your FCC's for your deposit and add another $100 deposit for your cabin mate. You will receive onboard credits of $25 - $150pp depending on type of cabin and length of cruise, four years to use it or you get your money back. An absolute win-win situation. There is no down side.

:( We had purchased two FCC's when last on board Princess. We've used those for two 2008 bookings and just last week found a 2009 cruise that we couldn't pass up (due to the pricing of an on-line TA) and had to actually make the deposit to hold the cabin we wanted. Sure hurts after using the FCC's but couldn't pass the deal!! :D

We almost always use Princess Future Cruise Credit thingies since we almost always cruise on Princess. We've booked a cruise on NCL for July of 2008 and last night had to put down a $1,000 deposit for two cabins. Our money be tied up for about 10 months.

NCL has a similar program - but it's it works differently. On NCL only one person needs to buy an FCC and it’s $250. It’s good for 2.5 years. And when you book, that $250 is the deposit for the entire cabin you’re booking, regardless of the number of people in the cabin. Now the good part… they give you $100 OBC directly applied to your onboard account on your current cruise! So, you get a reduced deposit and instant OBC!

According to my TA, starting today (9/27) through next Thursday (10-4), Princess is having a special where the deposit is only $100 pp. It could be extended for another week, but is definitely available from 9/27 to 10/4. (Last fall, we booked on 9/16 which was the last day of the $100 pp deposit "special.")
A nice feature with Princess is that it allows travel agents to hold up to six "cruise sales" per year, during which only a $100 deposit per person is required for any cruise.

The sale price is valid with that particular travel agent for that week only, though you can book a "sale week" for two weeks back to back if you want.

If you're looking to book a cruise and you're out of FCCs, always remember to ask your TA if they are planning a Princess Cruise Sale anytime soon. They may just put one on if you request it and they haven't any scheduled. :)

Archived