All things Monarch of the Seas

Did you find this to be true for breakfast as well? I thought breakfast was much better at the buffet. I didn't get a chance to have lunch in the dining room last time...I'll correct that mistake in December!

We found the food to be slightly better in the dining room. We enjoyed the service really, more than the taste of the food. We don't like having to find a table, and the whole buffet crowded experience.

Lunch in the dining room is a must! My favorite entree is the open faced steak sandwich with the spinach and vinegarette topping. Total Yum! ;)

We found the food to be slightly better in the dining room. We enjoyed the service really, more than the taste of the food. We don't like having to find a table, and the whole buffet crowded experience.

Lunch in the dining room is a must! My favorite entree is the open faced steak sandwich with the spinach and vinegarette topping. Total Yum! ;)

Not to mention that I eat A LOT LESS when it served to me on a nice plate instead of me piling it onto the large serving platters they call dinner plates!:eek: ;)

Jen, I'm glad to know we have the same taste in wine! Does the fact that I bought 3 bottles & you only bought 2 mean that I'm the bigger lush?:D

Not to mention that I eat A LOT LESS when it served to me on a nice plate instead of me piling it onto the large serving platters they call dinner plates!:eek: ;)

Well, that's a good point...

The problem I found with the dining room for breakfast, and maybe it's not typical as we only did it one day, was that we were squeezed in to tables so tight that even the servers couldn't get around the tables without bumping you. It made the whole experience awkward.

Oh and here's another picture just for kicks.

I have more, and in higher resolution - if anyone wants pictures of the ship, or the chocolate buffet, or the port areas, feel free to email me and I'll send some to you...

monarch2.jpg.69ec29174413655407d86b122bafe615.jpg

Now that's the truth. I've never really thought about it like that. I guess I will have to eat in the D.R. more often!!!

Last time we were on the Monarch we wanted a table for 2 at breakfast. They said they were "busy." Well, boo hoo, says I. I am so not up for sharing my breakfast table with anybody. After the waiter sat us at a 4 top by ourselves, a maitre d' sat two others down with us without even asking. I have to say that really irritated me - I prefer only to make cheerful scenes, not have hissy fits, and there wasn't anything I could do once their butts were in the chairs. So we'll skip the DR in the morning from now on.

Although there are some posters that say they didn't find the wine to be very good, and they wouldn't do the tour again. These are probably the same people that have a different opinion than I do regarding the dining room food. I thought our food was outstanding. Others say that Chops and Portofino are the only way to eat on a ship.

Your cruise experience may vary ;)

Last time I was on the Monarch my experience was the same as yours in the dining room. Oh Wait, maybe because we sat together (and with GINNY) great table! I find the food and service to be excellent and wouldn't dream of not having dinner in the dining room. We went to hawaii ealier this month on Pride of hawaii and the American crew doesn't really get it when it comes to food and service. The cruise was wonderful, how can you not like seeing many of the islands but the ship is not one I'd recomend.

Jen, I'm glad to know we have the same taste in wine! Does the fact that I bought 3 bottles & you only bought 2 mean that I'm the bigger lush?:D

That's a very good point about the quantity of food. I never thought about it like that.

lmao, no it just means that I had a few bottles already in our cabin and we weren't drinking those anytime fast either! :eek:

So we'll skip the DR in the morning from now on.

This is another example of I had a similar experience, but it went totally differently for me.

We wanted a table for two, and we asked Yilmaz for it (I know you don't like him either, Jean .... and that's yet another example of this type of situation), and Yilmaz set us at the table just the two of us.

Another time my mom and I were waiting for friends of ours to join us, so the two of us asked for a table for 4. Our friends actually overslept, so we had the table for 4 by ourselves.

:)

Last time I was on the Monarch my experience was the same as yours in the dining room. Oh Wait, maybe because we sat together (and with GINNY) great table! I find the food and service to be excellent and wouldn't dream of not having dinner in the dining room. We went to hawaii ealier this month on Pride of hawaii and the American crew doesn't really get it when it comes to food and service. The cruise was wonderful, how can you not like seeing many of the islands but the ship is not one I'd recomend.

Thanks for the comparison of the two. I've not yet tried NCL, perhaps because I found my niche in RCI, and quite frankly enjoy the C&A benefits :D

This is another example of I had a similar experience, but it went totally differently for me.

We wanted a table for two, and we asked Yilmaz for it (I know you don't like him either, Jean .... and that's yet another example of this type of situation), and Yilmaz set us at the table just the two of us.

Another time my mom and I were waiting for friends of ours to join us, so the two of us asked for a table for 4. Our friends actually overslept, so we had the table for 4 by ourselves.

Oh, we had a table for 2, but then a different maitre d' just plopped another couple at the table while we were looking at the menu and there was nothing graceful to be done about it. I don't think your friend (you're right, I still don't like him) could have saved you in the same circumstance. We've been able to get a table for 2 before, but I'm tired of having to ask more than once. There's plenty of room in the dining room and, if they're really stretched that thin, it wouldn't bankrupt the company to hire a few more people to staff it properly.

Best thing to do is discover the Monarch for yourself!!!! That's half the fun!

You'll stop by several bars, see which one YOU like the best, and that's where you'll do the majoritly of your drinking!

You'll wander the decks, and discover little spots that no one else seems to know about--and it'll be "yours" for the duration!

The secret is to have fun, and do your own thing!!! Bon Voyage!

Yes, it was a great table! I really enjoyed our dinners. Will you guys go on all my cruises with me?:cool:

I want to go to Hawaii in the future - unfortunately my next 2 years are 'booked' time wise for big cruises. I am considering the Pride of America for 2010, just because I have never been to Hawaii before & I like the idea of having before & after time in Honolulu. Hopefully, the service will be better by then. Of course, by 2010 all sorts of things can change - there may be even a better option!:D I have another friend who went on that cruise last year. She is also a RCI loyalist. She said that if you go into it not expecting the service you get on RCI you'll have fun. Guess that's what we'll have to do!

Our table mate situation on our April cruise wasn't so great for dinner. However, that's because we love to meet other people & compare "what did you do in port" stories. We ended up sitting alone at a table for 8 most of the cruise!:( The best meal we had as far as a tablemates were concerned was at lunch, when we were seated at a table for 4 with a wonderful Mom & daughter combination. They were so much fun that I asked about their dinner arrangements. However, they were at a full table at another seating. But I do remember that meal fondly. I'm so glad we were seated with someone else!:)

Yes, it was a great table! I really enjoyed our dinners. Will you guys go on all my cruises with me?:cool:

I want to go to Hawaii in the future - unfortunately my next 2 years are 'booked' time wise for big cruises. I am considering the Pride of America for 2010, just because I have never been to Hawaii before & I like the idea of having before & after time in Honolulu. Hopefully, the service will be better by then. Of course, by 2010 all sorts of things can change - there may be even a better option!:D I have another friend who went on that cruise last year. She is also a RCI loyalist. She said that if you go into it not expecting the service you get on RCI you'll have fun. Guess that's what we'll have to do!

Look at it like this ... if you always eat in the casual dining restaurant, your DH doesn't have to wear big boy pants :D

lmao, oh that cracked me up when I heard that! I thought of you guys last night. On the TV one of the characters went back upstairs to change into big-boy pants.... omg, I fell about the place. :D

Yes, it was a great table! I really enjoyed our dinners. Will you guys go on all my cruises with me? :cool:

Something similar happened when we were on our Monarch cruise with the huge CC group last may. It just sort of worked out that my mom and I sat with Nate and Misty all cruise long. We couldn't have asked for nicer, more down to earth people on the ship that cruise! We loved our dinner experience every night. OMG the stories we shared, it really made the cruise great.

So, knowing what great tablemates can do for your cruise .... I'll do my best to make sure we can end up as tablemates again soon ;)

We had fun on the 3 day cruise. Be sure not to miss the Sunday shows starting in the Sound of Music Theater to the Circuit Club afterwards. The late night comic is great and the Quest needs to be seen!!!

Our group ranged from early thirties to 70's and we all had fun.

We took the Winery tour and enjoyed the 2 wineries and their wine. The tour themselves at the wineries are not long. There is plenty of winee for all.

I feel I broke even on the soda card. After signing up for it they give you a large commuter mug to use on the ship and then take home.

The crew was friendly and ready to be helpful

The best food is at the sit down locations: breakfast and dinner. I thought that the buffets were only fair.

The ship has an excellent gym if you have the time to work out.

Embarcation and disembarcation was easy and quick.

The long term parking is directly across the street from the pier making it easy for loading and unloading.

are you doing the ensenada/San Diago/Cat. Island trip?

if so......do plan something in cat. island.....something! Shopping was sort of boring!

Do go to the chocolate buffet if they still have it! Of all our cruises the one on the this run was the best EVER! Don't take stuff you wont eat at it though, it was sad to see so many ppl fill a plate full and then leave it and the ppl at the end have less to choose!

DO go to the art auction even if you wont buy anything.....free champagne!

Do go to a restaurant in Ensenada and eat Mexican food, it's the best! DO not plan on using the restroom while there.....uh....can I just say.....not the cleanest! Do buy stuff, leather, a good deal and good shopping there! Enjoy!!! The ship was great and fun and clean even thought it's older!

Archived