Coco Cay

So, how big is Coco Cay? Are you dropped off where the beach is? Is the beach nice? Is there anything to do if you don't book an excursion? Is it potentially a good day to stay on the ship by the pool? Do the tenders run often enough that if you get bored you can just go back without waiting for an hour?

So, how big is Coco Cay? Are you dropped off where the beach is? Is the beach nice? Is there anything to do if you don't book an excursion? Is it potentially a good day to stay on the ship by the pool? Do the tenders run often enough that if you get bored you can just go back without waiting for an hour?

It's an island. It's a small island. It's mostly beach. The beach is gorgeous. I have never gone on an excursion. (my kids have - daughter dives, daughter and son have done the parasailing) Go in the water, lie on a lounger, lie in a hammock, walk around the trails, eat at the lunch buffet, look at the crappy "straw market" (cash only), go in the waterpark if you must, just relax and enjoy.

The tenders run back and forth all day.

Cococay is my favorite port, we typically do nothing- snorkel a little. but sit in the lounge chair or float on a raft with a cocoloco in my hand.

The tender drops you off not far the from the beach, but the further you walk the less crowded it is.

Cococay is what you make it......

CocoCay is paradise! Get off the tenders and veer right, but whatever you do, don't just stop at the first place you see, as it gets better the further you go! Go past the kids giant slide and the inflatable aqua-park, and it's quiet, no crowds, plenty of chairs right at the water, hammocks, a bar, all the makings of a perfect day.

If you're up for it, take a hike out the trail that runs down the spine of the island to the far west end (called Land's End). It's about a mile & a half, but you will be greeted with the most picture perfect views, and no sign of civilization! My wife & I do this every time we go.

Cococay...a spot on the beach, an ice-cold Kalik, and a freshly-lit cuban...what more is there...

This really is a nice place. I took a nature walk and saw 2 peahens, but no peacock (he must have been there somewhere!). Took lovely photos of the area. And the consensus is: Get a hammock under the lovely palms and just relax!

Hey guys,

I am so glad you have this thread going. I was wondering about Cococay, but since RCL owns the island, there is not a lot of info about it. :confused:

It sounds fabulous! I hope it's as pretty as Palm Beach in Aruba. Clean and white and blue waters...I can almost feel it now!

Thanks for the info!!!

Cindy

Hey Chistine! You must be looking at the same stuff I am!

CocoCay is paradise! Get off the tenders and veer right, but whatever you do, don't just stop at the first place you see, as it gets better the further you go! Go past the kids giant slide and the inflatable aqua-park, and it's quiet, no crowds, plenty of chairs right at the water, hammocks, a bar, all the makings of a perfect day.

If you're up for it, take a hike out the trail that runs down the spine of the island to the far west end (called Land's End). It's about a mile & a half, but you will be greeted with the most picture perfect views, and no sign of civilization! My wife & I do this every time we go.

Cococay...a spot on the beach, an ice-cold Kalik, and a freshly-lit cuban...what more is there...

This is exactly what we like to do, too.

The closest thing I've done to an excursion is rent a snorkel and mask and been the first one out to the "plane wreck". That's fun, too, if you beat the crowds.

But the hike is great.

Cococay was better than I expected. I brought my own snorkel gear to the island and had a great time. We only stayed at the "main" beach where the snorkeling is for the first part of the day

DSC00110.jpg

and then moved to the other side of the island past the water park

DSC00115.jpg

and everyone is right, it is so peaceful over there. I snorkeled a bit on that side too, but not much to see over there. It was great for relaxing though.

More Cococay pics:

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

Cococay was better than I expected. I brought my own snorkel gear to the island and had a great time. We only stayed at the "main" beach where the snorkeling is for the first part of the day

DSC00110.jpg

and then moved to the other side of the island past the water park

DSC00115.jpg

and everyone is right, it is so peaceful over there. I snorkeled a bit on that side too, but not much to see over there. It was great for relaxing though.

More Cococay pics:

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

Great pics! Just like I remember it!

I honestly don't know why anyone would prefer to sit by the ship's pool when they can go to Coco Cay, sun on a deck chair by the most wondrously colored turquoise water and gaze up at palm fronds outlined against a deep blue sky adorned with puffy clouds and walk on the beach or wade in the water and listen to the wind whisper through the Australian pine trees and so on.

The tenders run every fifteen minutes from about 8:00 until 3:30PM. There are three tender ships and they alternate trips all day.

If you're up for it, take a hike out the trail that runs down the spine of the island to the far west end (called Land's End). It's about a mile & a half, but you will be greeted with the most picture perfect views, and no sign of civilization! My wife & I do this every time we go.Cococay...a spot on the beach, an ice-cold Kalik, and a freshly-lit cuban...what more is there...

There is NO PLACE completely deserted that you will have all to yourselves! Be warned - others have the same idea that you do! :mad: :eek: :rolleyes:

Been there, done that!

How would you compare Coco Cay to Labadee? We've been to Labadee and wanted to compare it to Coco Cay. Thanks!
Bonnie Voyager and I had a mild tiff about this recently. My DW and I enjoyed the smooth, white powdery sand of Coco Cay. The buildings looked a little more thought out and it felt like civilization. We liked CoCo better than Labadee, although we have nothing against Labadee. In the end, Labadee is Caribbean while CoCo is Bahamian in its sand, vegetation and "feel." That's where Bonnie and I differed--she likes the more "natural" rustic feel of Labadee, while we liked the "resort" enhanced beauty of CoCo. In reality, they're both among our favorite stops now that we've been to both. There's no good and bad with these two in our book. But they are different.

Archived