Room service on debarkation morning?

cnvh

Well, I didn't realize it was 5 years old! As of 2 weeks ago, we ordered room service on our last day. It was a bit late, with lots of apologies. However, we ate out on the balcony, and at one point our steward had asked if he could change the beds. We were in the cabin chatting and suddenly, here comes the guy with the power hose on the balcony and cleaned it all off, including our breakfast. It really was kind of funny. There were our cereal bowls and coffee cups, filled with water. I felt sorry for our stewards, who had to clean it up.

The only negative I had with staying in the cabin on the last morning was that the stewards do want to get the rooms turned around, and I felt very much in the way, even though they didn't do anything to make me feel that way. Also, I wish I hadn't seen how well the 'clean' up everything when they re-do the room.

Guess I'll be the only negative voice here, but last 2 cruises.....room service menu taken away for the last night. Bummer, not able to order, though I'm sure I could have requested the card, I figured it was just not available on the last day.

5 yr old thread should show some trends. I'm sure with the changes, the stewards don't need one more single thing to do in order to get the rooms ready sooner. It seems so pointless to me. They have cut back on staff, most pax are accustomed to waiting until later to get into their rooms anyway. Why make those folks have to work so much harder, maybe cut corners in the room prep...and on and on....just to allow folks into their rooms a little earlier? Just does not seem worth it to me.

If it was as before (the normal time rooms used to be ready) I would NOT be forced from my cabin on the last day, as I was last 2 cruises....they were not rude, but very pushy and insistant that we 'be on our way' it was very uncomfortable. You could tell they had more to do than they had time for.....all to satisfy an 11 am entry to the room? Plus not be able to have a nice room service breakfast really is cutting into it, too. Lucky for those who are able to have it the way they want, regardless of the extra work created. I bet there are fewer folks having RS breakfast these days, hope I'm wrong.

Not very pleasant when you have stewards knocking every 15 minutes wanting to get in, starting at around 7. I can see why they (in their way) discouraged us from having RS breakfast. Believe me, my sympathies are with the crew. It was hardly a deal breaker, but that's not the point. I would love to see it go back to rooms ready sometime after one, doesn't seem like much of a great thing when you see how they have to scramble now. Just my opinion.

Guess I'll be the only negative voice here, but last 2 cruises.....room service menu taken away for the last night. Bummer, not able to order, though I'm sure I could have requested the card, I figured it was just not available on the last day.

<snip>

Not very pleasant when you have stewards knocking every 15 minutes wanting to get in, starting at around 7. I can see why they (in their way) discouraged us from having RS breakfast. Believe me, my sympathies are with the crew. It was hardly a deal breaker, but that's not the point. I would love to see it go back to rooms ready sometime after one, doesn't seem like much of a great thing when you see how they have to scramble now. Just my opinion.

We always make sure to hide one room service door card for use on the last evening because ours has also been removed on the last night while we're at dinner. We've also had the "Do Not Disturb" tag removed.

There is definitely a contradiction between the statement "you may remain in your stateroom until disembarking" and the atmosphere in said stateroom on the morning of disembarkation. If I have permission to stay, then I don't expect my sleep, shower, breakfast, and last-minute packing to be interrupted.

There is definitely a contradiction between the statement "you may remain in your stateroom until disembarking" and the atmosphere in said stateroom on the morning of disembarkation. If I have permission to stay, then I don't expect my sleep, shower, breakfast, and last-minute packing to be interrupted.

I agree. I was happy with the arrangement of not being able to get into your room until 1:30 when you embark. I'm not a fan of the interuptions on debark.

I agree. I was happy with the arrangement of not being able to get into your room until 1:30 when you embark. I'm not a fan of the interuptions on debark.

Totally agree, again....as what I was trying to say last night:)

Maybe this should be another thread, don't know. Can someone please explain why it changed? I would far rather get into my room a little later, then have the bums rush at the end. It's a crappy way to end a cruise....and hardly seems that it gives HAL the 'edge' in terms of offerrings to potential 'guests', service, etc....especially when you factor in the sheer magnitude of work the stewards have to perform in order to make it so.

I told the story once before of us pulling into Vancouver in the wee hours...lovely to watch. My room was on promenade, so hopped out of bed, zipped outside for a few photos...around 6:30 am, intending to come back in and go back to sleep for a bit. By the time I came back in....(less than 10 minutes), my bed was already split in 2 and made up for the next guests. Before anyone tells me I should have just gotten back into bed.....I just wasn't going to do that. I just don't see the point of this 'early' entry thing.

We always make sure to hide one room service door card for use on the last evening because ours has also been removed on the last night while we're at dinner. We've also had the "Do Not Disturb" tag removed.

In all honesty, we had no issues on the Maasdam or the Prinsendam last cruise. We normally leave our rooms by 9:15 to disembark:)

<snip>

I told the story once before of us pulling into Vancouver in the wee hours...lovely to watch. My room was on promenade, so hopped out of bed, zipped outside for a few photos...around 6:30 am, intending to come back in and go back to sleep for a bit. By the time I came back in....(less than 10 minutes), my bed was already split in 2 and made up for the next guests. Before anyone tells me I should have just gotten back into bed.....I just wasn't going to do that. I just don't see the point of this 'early' entry thing.

I know it was irritating to you and I understand but it reminds me of the old CD joke often told at Disembarkation Talk.

When praising the wonderful job the cabin stewards do, he said "I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. When I returned, my bed was made. :eek :D:"

We have never been hurried out of our cabin disembarkation morning probably because we move right along. We just about always do a post cruise hotel stay and when our cruise is over, it is over and we like to move ahead to the next phase of our vacation. The sooner we get into our hotel, the sooner we can begin to enjoy our day in disembarkation city. Or, if disembark is Boston, DH can hurry off to his office to see what a nightmare his desk looks like from all the things awaiting his attention. :D ;)

The stewards take the 'heat' for the decisions and instructions made and given by others. The person standing in front of us is the person who needs to get the job done. It is probably against all their instincts to push guests along as they are my nature so gracious. It's their job and they have to answer for it if they don't do it according to instruction.

But, I'm sure we all know that.

Trust me we all do it. Room service on debarkation day, no problem. Enjoy the last day to the fullest.

No, you are incorrect! :) We all do not do it! I, (along with many others), go the Lido where I have never had a bad experinence at breakfast on the morning of (dis)embarkation! ;)

Yes, Sail....I understand what you are saying. I also am of the mind to 'rip the bandaid' off, so to speak, in terms of getting on with the next phase of the holiday, whether onto a plane home, or to continue enjoying the post-cruise stay. I certainly do not need to belabour the exercise of getting off.....I prefer to be off by 8:30 anyway. But....

I just don't see the point in making these folks work so much harder when the benefit seems so marginal. I hope that makes sense. And my experience just seems to highlight the extra work involved for them.

My points might not have been the best to illustrate what I'm trying to say.....guess I'm hoping, with futility, that it go back to the way it was so that there is less hullabaloo at the end.

I am happy for those who haven't noticed the 'rush' or have been able to have a relaxed breakfast on the last day. Well, maybe 'jealous' might be a better word:D.

It is what it is, and now I am simply more prepared for the next time....the minor expectation that I be able to move at a pace that suits me better, must change, and that's really ok.

(Alaska must be soon for you! Hope you have a really wonderful time:))

I agree with you. I do not think these stewards should be forced to work like whirlibirds to get everyone out and the cabins cleaned by the stroke of 11:00. If they want to have cabins ready, then provide more people to do the work. On turnaround day, we watch what these stewards go through and IMO, it is not worth it in order to have folks in their cabins so early.

I like getting into our cabin early and am the first to admit it but I don't like to see that immense pressure on the stewards.

Thanks for remembering about our upcoming Alaska. :eek: I am starting to stress about packing. I really want to keep it light but combing a cruise with a number of days in Seattle is making for a very hard 'pack' for me. But, like for all our other trips, I'm sure I'll manage. :D

Trust me we all do it. Room service on debarkation day, no problem. Enjoy the last day to the fullest.

By all means......

A last room service breakfast on disembarkation day is fine. :)

Wrong!!

We tried room service on 2 occassions on disembarkation -- we order breakfast to be delivered at 6:30. We needed to eat early on one occassion as everyone had to be out of their cabins by 8 AM as the ship was in Code Red and crews were coming on to do a deep clean. Another time we had to leave early as we had bus transfers from Vancouver to Seattle. Both times we were calling room serive and the concierges were constantly calling -- never got our breakfast. We had to grab whatever was left in the Neptune Lounge.

I ordered room service on debarkation morning. It was mostly limited to continental breakfast and I haven't researched other room service options, but it saved the time otherwise needed to get dressed and take the elevator to the Lido buffet. I must say, it was a little depressing: just one day ago, I was eating piping-hot egg benedict while having a fun conversation with my tablemates; that morning, I was eating a cold bagel with cream cheese alone in my cabin. I did go up to the Lido anyway, to stand by the railing for one last time while having my coffee, but that was right before I had to leave the cabin altogether.

Your reply has brought back a thread that is more than four years old so I'm not surprised that your experience was different. Now, since the cabins must be ready for guests as soon as they embark, it's possible they just don't have time for the more complete breakfasts to be delivered to the cabins so only offer continental.

Wrong!!

We tried room service on 2 occassions on disembarkation -- we order breakfast to be delivered at 6:30. We needed to eat early on one occassion as everyone had to be out of their cabins by 8 AM as the ship was in Code Red and crews were coming on to do a deep clean. Another time we had to leave early as we had bus transfers from Vancouver to Seattle. Both times we were calling room serive and the concierges were constantly calling -- never got our breakfast. We had to grab whatever was left in the Neptune Lounge.

KK....... Wrong for you but it was not wrong for us.

You can only speak for your experience the same as I can only speak for ours.

I am sorry for the bad luck you sometimes experience on the ships and have no way of explaining it.

Hope it gets better.

I know it was irritating to you and I understand but it reminds me of the old CD joke often told at Disembarkation Talk.

When praising the wonderful job the cabin stewards do, he said "I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. When I returned, my bed was made. :eek :D:"

We have never been hurried out of our cabin disembarkation morning probably because we move right along. We just about always do a post cruise hotel stay and when our cruise is over, it is over and we like to move ahead to the next phase of our vacation. The sooner we get into our hotel, the sooner we can begin to enjoy our day in disembarkation city. Or, if disembark is Boston, DH can hurry off to his office to see what a nightmare his desk looks like from all the things awaiting his attention. :D ;)

The stewards take the 'heat' for the decisions and instructions made and given by others. The person standing in front of us is the person who needs to get the job done. It is probably against all their instincts to push guests along as they are my nature so gracious. It's their job and they have to answer for it if they don't do it according to instruction.

But, I'm sure we all know that.

Please keep in mind that others might not be staying on after a cruise. Generally takes me until around midnight to get home after a cruise from Fort Lauderdale and I gain 2 hours of time. It's a VERY long day and I really don't stick around very long on the morning of debark.

Princess said we had to be out of our cabins by 8:00, and everyone had a nice, comfy place to wait. I actually preferred that to sitting in the cabin, waiting for my number to be called. It seemed more relaxing for some reason. I get very antsy just sitting in my cabin, waiting.

I also think that it makes it so much easier on the stewards, who have to perform miracles on turn around day.

I do like that I can get into my cabin when I first board, but that's just me.

Princess said we had to be out of our cabins by 8:00, and everyone had a nice, comfy place to wait. I actually preferred that to sitting in the cabin, waiting for my number to be called. It seemed more relaxing for some reason. I get very antsy just sitting in my cabin, waiting.

Well, no one says you HAVE to wait in your cabin...

I actually preferred that to sitting in the cabin, waiting for my number to be called. It seemed more relaxing for some reason. I get very antsy just sitting in my cabin, waiting.
:confused: Had you done something 'bad'? Was there a guard outside of your door prohibiting you from going to a 'nice, comfy place' to wait? :confused:

Archived