Is it possible for me

woodmill100

to keep the fact that I have booked the Grand Suite from my husband until we actually reach the suite doors?

I'll get the confirmation through the post here in the UK but other than that, he just thinks we've booked a mini suite :D I'd love it to be a big surprise!

to keep the fact that I have booked the Grand Suite from my husband until we actually reach the suite doors?

I'll get the confirmation through the post here in the UK but other than that, he just thinks we've booked a mini suite :D I'd love it to be a big surprise!

I would say that depends on how nosy he is. :)

Tell him there were no minis left and you booked an inside.

Ha ha I love it!

I'm thinking you'll have to deal with the cabin number on the luggage tags somehow -- maybe only fill them out on the taxi ride to the pier, so he doesn't have a chance to check the cabin number against the deck plans.

The emails and such would only be a problem if your husband gets the email and checks where the cabin is.

Last year was our 20th wedding anniverary. I booked us on the Tahitian P, 12 day, Papette to Honolulu. I did not tell my wife. Her daughter invited us to go on a cruise that conflicted, so I had to fess us. Otherwise, I would have only said enough for her to pack.

All of this is honest and accurate. We have some friends who went on a first cruise (RCI I think) and she kept it COMPLETELY from him until they were at the airport. She talked to me about cruises and came up with the one she wanted to surprise her DH and she kept me informed with the details. She arranged with his boss for the time off; she bought new luggage; and bought a suit for him (not an easy task since he is quite large). She stored the luggage at a warehouse for a while where they volunteer. He found out about the luggage and was told it was hers. He became worried and asked her one evening if she was happy with their marriage. She asked what that was about and he told her about the luggage. She laughed and said that was for their one night trip to Victoria Canada sometime coming up. Crisis averted. Eventually she brought the luggage home and she packed it and stored it in her daughter's closet. He saw it there and bawled out their daughter that she had not unpacked her bags from a trip. (Everyone together: oooohh, poor baby).

Okay, the day they flew out, she got up with DH and told him, he was not going to work today! In fact they were going on a trip. He thought Hawaii. Eventually, he realized when they checked in for FLL they were going on a cruise. He's the type that would appreciate this. I would have shot her!!!

Bill

The cabin number is not printed on the cruise card that your husband will get when you check in, so if you can be the first to get all communication prior to the cruise from the cruise line that might mention the cabin, I'd say you are OK.

Luggage tags may or may not be a giveaway, depending on how familiar with the ship's cabin locations your husband is. You will know how interested your husband usually is about which cabin he will be in and how sneaky you will have to be about showing it. (Mine would never wonder about location if there were just a cabin number on the luggage tags, as those details are left to me anyway.) If I were trying to pull a surprise like this off, I would go ahead and write the cabin number on the luggage tags as usual rather than creating suspicion by waiting (figuring the number won't mean anything to him anyway).

Good Luck! and be sure to let us know how it works out.

Who is paying for the upgrade? If he is, directly, then it is only fair to tell him.

If you are paying for it, out of your salary or grocery money, then it is fair to keep it a secret.

I couldn't do it because my husband is the one who pays for our trips. I always clear exactly what I am booking for us with him at the time of booking.

Be aware, now that you are crossing the line to a suite, it is VERY hard to go back. You will love the space and the perks. Be sure to read ALL of your literature when you get on board. One of the little perks is that you are told to ask for an Assistant Purser when you have questions or needs from that desk. Sometimes they have know-nothings on the desk. YOU won't have to deal with them - just with a higher level (and better trained person).

Another perk I almost missed was the use of the thermal suite (included in the price) - it might be called "The Sanctuary". And don't forget that you get free internet use. I am not sure if this is still unlimited for suite guests. My BIL and SIL were on a cruise a few months ago and they said they had it.

Above all, enjoy.

Roberta

You can keep it a secret but you have to be very careful if you share a computer or you don't always get to the mail first. My wife booked a cruise to surprise me and I saw it right away when I downloaded e-mail. Of course, she doesn't know that I know, unless she lurks in on this site, and sometimes she does.

And even if your husband did find out, why would be spoil the surprise? I know if I spoiled it for SWMBO, she'd probably switch back to an inside! :)

Archived