Flights are screwed up - what to do?

sparkscruiser

Ok,

I Need some advice from experienced cruisers/fliers. This is a flight itinerary that my travel agent e-mailed me in September - you can see why later in this post. Any suggestions as to what I can do? FYI - I did find some other flights through an online agency that are not only cheaper at this point but less likely to involve snow. Please be advised that I have deleted the arilines involved other than Continental - as I don't want to say where or who at this point.

November 22, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart 6:15 AM city to city - arrival time 9:04 AM

November 22, 2007 Flight XXX depart 10:45 AM city to city- arrival time 4:40 PM

December 1, 2007 Flight xxx on airline XXX depart City at 12:40 PM to city - arrival time 1:43 PM

December 1, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart City at 2:37 PM to City - arrival time 4:37 PM

December 1, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart City at 5:45 PM to City - arrival time 7:03 PM

This was made necessary because XXXX Airlines/XXX had changed flights that were originally booked. I originally made our reservations on March 30, 2007 -

this was the original itinerary:

November 22, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart 6:00 AM to city arrival time 9:04AM

November 22, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart 10:45 AM to city - arrival time 4:40PM.

December 1, 2007 Flight XXXX on airline XXX depart from City at 5:17 PM to City - arrival time 7:45 PM

December 1, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart from city at 8:40 PM to City - arrival time 9:57 PM

Our flights were changed in September - not at our request but at the airline's.

Just got off the phone with XXX/XXXAirlines - we did not get assigned seats (something you assume when using a travel agent) we must sit in different rows on BOTH flights to XXX. I would think there would be something that can be done even if it necessitates someone (and it won't be me!) paying for an upgrade so we can at the very least sit together.

I found out that we were NEVER assigned seats for our flights from xx to xx and into XXX.

On the way back - surprise! My supposed XX Airlines flight is now Continental Airlines (but not really - some airline who is a partner of Continental and is called Gulfstream?) and XXX can't assign a seat - They are also unable to assign a seat from City to City - said we would have to get seat assignments at the gate. Now I was not very concerned originally when you called a month ago and said the flights had changed - because we were staying on the same airline. At NO TIME was I told that I was flying any airline other than XXX or XXX. Imagine my shock when I found out I had to switch carriers with less than one hour to do so. It is standard in the industry to allow a minimum of one hour to change planes even when traveling with the same carrier. But I was originally not concerned because it's the same airline, what's the big deal? That has now changed and I am VERY upset with the handling of our flight arrangements. This also greatly increases the chance that my luggage will be lost.

By the way, I was also informed by Continental that you have to send us a paper tickets (or xxx does) so we can get on the plane in X to go to X - If I do not have a paper ticket I will have to pay for one.

At the very least I expect an apology and some form of a refund - why did I pay for someone to make travel arrangements that I could have made all on my own if not to receive some form of service? Yes, you did call and advise that flights had been changed, but I think the airline would have done that as well. I expect some form of response to advise what you are doing (or the travel agency is doing) to rectify this MESS by the end of business Monday. If only to advise that you are trying to work out a solution.

This appears like you have written a letter and showing us a copy of it.

I don't understand why you are complaining about not having 1 hour for changing of planes as you do have that and many times we have had less than that to change planes and change of airline. As far as seating together, yeah, we have had that problem frequently and have had to wait until we get to the airport to resolve it and if they can't have to ask passengers if seats can be traded. So what is your big problem of your flights are screwed up?

Well, there is so much in your post, and all of the XXX (for airlines, cities and whatever) make it difficult to keep track of what airline is what. I don't know what the big secrecy is about, but I'll do my best to answer your issues.

First off, it looks as though you had flights booked that involved one airline, with a single connect on the outbound and a double connect on the return. Now, you have a single connect on the return, albeit later in the day.

This is perfectly within the rights of the airline to make this change. Many would say it is actually an improvement, since you only have one connection rather than two. In any case, I don't know why you think they can't change it on you. Happens all the time.

Next: you aren't sitting together. Why did your travel agent not get seats for you? It is not the responsibility of the airline to put you together - that's what the person booking the flight has to do - proactively, not waiting around. Now, there are some airlines that do not allow seat booking until 90 days before flight (NW and others), so if that is the airline - and we can't tell for the XXX's - the agent should have been on this at the 90 day mark. Chalk this one to TA fault -- did you investigate the airline qualifications of your agent before you did business with them??

As for getting an upgrade at no cost to ensure you are together -- best laugh today. There is no responsibility to put you together.

Next: on to airline XX actually being Continental, which is actually Gulfstream. Gulfstream operates small, 19 seat Beech 1900 aircraft - they likely don't do seat assignments on a plane that small. As for being on a code-share, this was undoubtedly communicated to your TA - and probably not passed on to you.

Next: connecting times for airlines is NOT a standard number of 1 hour. It is completely dependent on the airline and the airport. For example, the minimum connect time for NW at MEM is 25 minutes; other airports have their own times. So the connects you have a most likely legal.

Since you only use X, I can't decode your comment about paper tickets.

The use of Gulfstream and Continental make me think that the original airline was Northwest, and you aren't happy with the shift to codeshare partners.

Seems like you aren't happy with your TA. Caveat emptor - you chose to have them sell you travel services.

If I am wrong about my assumptions, please fill in the details so that I can properly assist in clearing the air.

Flyer Talker,

Glad I could provide you with some enterainment this evening. We booked with the same travel agent for the cruise and our flights. We were originally leaving from Reno and going to Miami via United/Ted. Both directions we were to originally have only one stop in Denver. I thought that could most likely be deducted by those of you that can see where I live and where I'm going on the next cruise - and you are right, just should have spelled it out. Any way long story short, booked my flights that I was happy with and at this point, I now have to travel on another airline to get home. United/Ted cancelled my original flight home with only one connection out of Miami and it was represented that we were to remain on United/Ted the entire trip. Now we are on Continental/Gulfstream for the leg out of Miami, going to Orlando, then to Denver and home to Reno via Ted. I know I'm asking alot that they try to keep us together - but it can't hurt to ask. In speaking with Continental - they were the ones who told me that I must present a paper ticket or voucher at Miami to get on the plane - otherwise I will have to purchase a ticket. My basis for it being the standard is that I have read on many threads that the "standard" is to allow one hour between flights even if you remain on the same carrier - perhaps I have misunderstood that statement? I have used this travel agent in the past - but not for airfare - and you are correct -I guess it's shame on me for the expectation of being taken care of. I hope the other posters enjoyed flaming me - I was just rying to keep airline names and the like out of it. But you are right, it would have been less confusing.

Thanks for reading my "vent".

Thanks for the details. It seems that you had United (of which Ted is just an operating division, not a separate airline) for a one-connect through DEN. UA cancelled the return from MIA to DEN and substituted a reroute through MCO. The first leg of your return is operated by Gulfstream International, which does most of its flying under the Continental Connection name. However, they also do code-shares for United airlines - UA flight numbers 9593 to 9669 are operated by Gulfstream.

Your original flight MIA-DEN no longer operates on a few Saturdays in December (including the 1st). So UA looked for other ways to get you home. UA has very little of its own service from MIA (a far cry from the days when they were competing heavily against AA at MIA). I would guess that there wasn't availability through ORD (using E170 aircraft) but there was through MCO on Gulfstream. At MCO, you'd connect to UA to DEN and then on to RNO.

If there was availability on alternative UA flights other than what you got, you (or your TA) could have asked for that re-route. If the TA kept themselves as the point of contact with UA, that would have come in to them and they would act on your behalf. OR UA would have contacted you with the revised itinerary.

As for the "ticket or voucher", I would be on the phone with UA to clarify. I think what they want is some verification that you have an e-ticket, such as an itinerary printout. But, not being completely up on the UA/Gulfstream codeshare agreement, I'd check with UA - since they are who issued the ticket. I have flown Gulfstream in the past on NW tickets and they did it seamlessly without need for paper tickets.

Your TA dropped the ball. He sold you tickets, but didn't provide the value-added services beyond arranging the original booking. He didn't get you seats, he didn't follow-up on the seating later on, didn't look for other alternatives when the MIA-DEN flight was cancelled, and isn't working on your behalf in communicating with UA.

I would suggest you go directly to UA yourself. Do some research on alternative flights and see what you like. You'll likely be on some kind of codeshare, either USAirways, Gulfstream, or Shuttle America. And if you aren't happy with the alternatives, you can ask for a refund due to the significant change of the return flights. Then book your own tickets elsewhere. And be sure to ask some hard questions of your TA before you let them handle air tickets in the future. All of which also presents an opportunity to ask those qualification questions about their cruise expertise as well.

Hope I wasn't too hard on you earlier....it was just one of the tougher posts to work through for an answer. Let us know what develops.

I think you need to talk to your travel agent, It appears he/she is not serving your needs. Travel agents usually get seat assignments when they book the air for someone. Apparently yours did not.

Your TA also has not let you know that one flught is a code shring flight. This is always indicated on the itineraries I receive from TA's and airlines. I do not understand why it is not on one sent you by your TA.

Look for another TA, yours is not doing the job.

Ok,

I Need some advice from experienced cruisers/fliers. This is a flight itinerary that my travel agent e-mailed me in September - you can see why later in this post. Any suggestions as to what I can do? FYI - I did find some other flights through an online agency that are not only cheaper at this point but less likely to involve snow. Please be advised that I have deleted the arilines involved other than Continental - as I don't want to say where or who at this point.

November 22, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart 6:15 AM city to city - arrival time 9:04 AM

November 22, 2007 Flight XXX depart 10:45 AM city to city- arrival time 4:40 PM

December 1, 2007 Flight xxx on airline XXX depart City at 12:40 PM to city - arrival time 1:43 PM

December 1, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart City at 2:37 PM to City - arrival time 4:37 PM

December 1, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart City at 5:45 PM to City - arrival time 7:03 PM

This was made necessary because XXXX Airlines/XXX had changed flights that were originally booked. I originally made our reservations on March 30, 2007 -

this was the original itinerary:

November 22, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart 6:00 AM to city arrival time 9:04AM

November 22, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart 10:45 AM to city - arrival time 4:40PM.

December 1, 2007 Flight XXXX on airline XXX depart from City at 5:17 PM to City - arrival time 7:45 PM

December 1, 2007 Flight XXX on airline XXX depart from city at 8:40 PM to City - arrival time 9:57 PM

Our flights were changed in September - not at our request but at the airline's.

Just got off the phone with XXX/XXXAirlines - we did not get assigned seats (something you assume when using a travel agent) we must sit in different rows on BOTH flights to XXX. I would think there would be something that can be done even if it necessitates someone (and it won't be me!) paying for an upgrade so we can at the very least sit together.

I found out that we were NEVER assigned seats for our flights from xx to xx and into XXX.

On the way back - surprise! My supposed XX Airlines flight is now Continental Airlines (but not really - some airline who is a partner of Continental and is called Gulfstream?) and XXX can't assign a seat - They are also unable to assign a seat from City to City - said we would have to get seat assignments at the gate. Now I was not very concerned originally when you called a month ago and said the flights had changed - because we were staying on the same airline. At NO TIME was I told that I was flying any airline other than XXX or XXX. Imagine my shock when I found out I had to switch carriers with less than one hour to do so. It is standard in the industry to allow a minimum of one hour to change planes even when traveling with the same carrier. But I was originally not concerned because it's the same airline, what's the big deal? That has now changed and I am VERY upset with the handling of our flight arrangements. This also greatly increases the chance that my luggage will be lost.

By the way, I was also informed by Continental that you have to send us a paper tickets (or xxx does) so we can get on the plane in X to go to X - If I do not have a paper ticket I will have to pay for one.

At the very least I expect an apology and some form of a refund - why did I pay for someone to make travel arrangements that I could have made all on my own if not to receive some form of service? Yes, you did call and advise that flights had been changed, but I think the airline would have done that as well. I expect some form of response to advise what you are doing (or the travel agency is doing) to rectify this MESS by the end of business Monday. If only to advise that you are trying to work out a solution.

I don't think this is your situation but FYI if you are on a "Shuttle" for part of your itinerary they do not assign seats until you get to the airport, sometimes a day before. Many shuttles run through NY to Boston and Washington DC (US Airways and Delta).

Is the 12:40 out of MIA with USAirways? They codeshare with United.

You can also call the airline and ask them to put a notice on your reservation requesting you be seated together. I had to do that with a trans Atlantic flight from London to Boston this year. I travel with someone who is afraid to fly. She wasn't going to go if she couldn't sit with me. Not near me, BESIDE me. They would not reseat us together (we originally had seats together but got "reseated" by the time we got our documents. However, they did put a "medical notice" on our reservation after they talked with my travel companion... so when the flight was seated the morning of our departure (when seat assignments are done... before anyone checks in) the person doing this put us together.

Word of advice??? If it's important to sit together and be on the flights you booked (timing is critical when cruising) then check your reservations OFTEN. Don't assume that what you booked is what you'll have the day you fly.

Just curious here......

Did the TA charge you a service fee for the airline ticketing.? This is common practice as most, if not all, airlines no longer pay a fee or commission to travel agencies for domestic flights. Most agencies charge $15-20 service fee. After the agency takes their cut, the agent gets the equivelent of minimum wage. They probably could do better working at a common fast food franchise. Very few agents put a lot of time and effort into airline ticketing as it does not pay to do so. Most people are not inclined to perform jobs when there is no compensdation involved.

Some agents will make air travel arrangements without a service fee if they also book hotel and or a cruise. It's an accommodation.

I am not making excuses for poor service. This is a reality and the reason why more and more people are taking control of their own air arrangements.

I am waiting to hear from the TA - no response at all at this point. Ironically on the shuttle flight through Continental/Gulfstream I was able to get us seat assignments - just the warning from them to make sure I have a paper document. Flyer Talker, the flight number they originally gave me was 9632 for the Gulfstream flight. I am usually such a control freak I am suprised that I let go of it so easily. Live and learn, I guess. I will be calling United at lunch time - will let you know what I find out.

Hi Sparkscruiser...

I don't have any advice, but we were booked on that same original flight on Dec. 1 and I just happened to be checking our flights a few weeks ago and saw that they had cancelled that

5:17 flight to Denver. No notification at all. They had just rebooked us through ORD and none of the connections meshed.

We called and they then put us on the flights that you now have via MCO. They couldn't assign seats on the MCO-DEN leg and I was a bit nervous that it was overbooked. We called United again and had them change our flights to Dec. 2. Direct flight from MIA-DEN leaving at 8am. There was no change fee involved and I now have piece of mind and get an extra day in Miami:)

I do hope it all works our for you. There's not much available to DEN from MIA anymore.

Well, I spoke with TA's boss this afternoon and he will be trying to get United to release us from the tickets and then I will switch to Delta if I can. At the very least he said he would talk to United about seating us together at least. He was surprised when I mentioned that the flight from Miami to Orlando was not even United. He said his screen still shows this as a United flight - I let him know about the need for paper tickets as well and that the flight number is not the same as what is listed. I'll keep you posted as this all gets sorted out.

Your post reminds me of why I never deal with TAs unless absolutely necessary!

I thought that could most likely be deducted by those of you that can see where I live and where I'm going on the next cruise - and you are right, just should have spelled it out.

If you are that worried about privacy you might want to delete your location from your profile!...and your photo from the avatar!...and your biography....and perhaps even change your username!

Your post reminds me of why I never deal with TAs unless absolutely necessary!

If you are that worried about privacy you might want to delete your location from your profile!...and your photo from the avatar!...and your biography....and perhaps even change your username!

Good point. Someone could easily look you up in the phone book and figure out where you live. I would change your user name at this point..

Good point. Someone could easily look you up in the phone book and figure out where you live. I would change your user name at this point..

Was the screen name already changed or am I missing something? sparkscruiser from Sparks, NV doesn't seem to give away much info.

I think it was meant in jest. I have rectified my situation with the travel agency - they have gotten a credit from United and I will now be taking Delta through Atlanta to Miami with the route reversed on the way home. It will cost a few bucks more, but I have assigned seats and don't have to worry about traveling through Denver on Thanksgiving (remember last Thanksgiving in Denver?) Thanks to all for your suggestions on dealing with the travel agency and the airline. I appreciate your responses.

Archived