Cruise room safes? Are they secure?

I'm about to go on my 2nd cruise with my wife. When we're in Port or out of the room we keep all of our valuables in our room safe. We did a 7 nighter in October and had no problems. Someone at work today says the room safes are not secure and they get broken into. Has anybody experienced this firsthand? If you can't keep your valuables in the safe where do you keep them? thanks.

That's what I figure as well. If somebody wants to get into it bad enough they will. The boat must have ways to get into them when patrons lock themselves out I'm sure the cruise employee's could get in if they wanted to. The only person who should really bein your room all week is your stateroom attendant so all fingers would be poiniting at him. But anyways, no worries, I'll trust the safe like we did on the last cruise. Thanks.

That's what I figure as well. If somebody wants to get into it bad enough they will. The boat must have ways to get into them when patrons lock themselves out I'm sure the cruise employee's could get in if they wanted to. The only person who should really bein your room all week is your stateroom attendant so all fingers would be poiniting at him. But anyways, no worries, I'll trust the safe like we did on the last cruise. Thanks.

You can definitely trust the safe, our battery died on ours and we had to have TWO officers come that had special keys to open it. Each one had one of the the two keys needed. They are not easy to get in. You set the code on most of the ones I have been on recently. I think your friend I am sorry to say was finding something to put a damper on your excitement of your upcoming cruise. Unfortunately I have a friend who does the same thing, every time we are ready to go away, she can't wait to tell me that they are predicting rain, or some such nonsense.

"I think your friend I am sorry to say was finding something to put a damper on your excitement of your upcoming cruise."

I think you nailed it with your statement.

Hey, I wonder if that friend is my mother. When I told her we are booked on a western caribean cruise for next June, her first comment was "Ewww, you couldn't pay me to go to Haiti or Jamaica".:eek: :o

That reminds me of my sister. When we told her we were going on our first cruise her comment was: "You're brave". I think she thought we were going on the Titanic!

Going back to the original question, we've always used the safes and never had a problem, nor heard of one either.

My parents had an issue with their safe on one of our cruises. It would not open. In order to get it open a technician came to the room along with an officer. The cabin steward had to vouch that my parents were the occupants of the room and then my father had to sign a log sheet.

I have no issue what so ever leaving valuables in the cabin safe.

Was just reading on some of the zip lines excursions, that they recommend you to not wear any jewelry. So do most of you feel it is safe to let all jewelry in the safe while in port all day?? Not a bunch of jewelry, but a couple of nice pieces that I normally don't take off.

Was just reading on some of the zip lines excursions, that they recommend you to not wear any jewelry. So do most of you feel it is safe to let all jewelry in the safe while in port all day?? Not a bunch of jewelry, but a couple of nice pieces that I normally don't take off.

When we were on Serenade I bought a fairly expensive mens bracelet when we were in St. Maarten which was our second stop on the cruise. For the rest of the week I left it in the safe everyday and wore it in the evening aboard ship. I had no misgivings about leaving it in the safe.

Recently on the Mariner, our safe failed to open. As it turned out, it needed a new battery. Only one worker in a gray jumpsuit came to open our safe and install a new battery.

We trust the safes. Do remember to always put your valuables in them, even if you figure you're gone only a little while, and the steward has already cleaned. Last year on the Sovereign of the Seas, we returned to our room to find two maintenance workers replacing the mirror in our bathroom. We had noticed a small crack in the mirror on embarkation day, but thought nothing of it. Our room steward had reported the crack, and maintenance was on it. You just never know when your room might be standing open, so do lock up your valuables, just to be safe.

Leslie

Our safe on the Enchantment was set by swiping a card with a magnetic strip. That same card is then needed to swipe to open the safe. Yes, you can use your seapass card, but I wouldn't. Just in case your card got lost and some ill-intended soul found it, he or she could access your room AND the safe. We used my driver's license for the safe. It has a magnetic strip on the back that worked wonderfully.

I will echo the comment about wearing jewelry in port. When you go in to shops, there are salespeople who will immediately size up your jewelry to try to determine if you might be able to afford certain items. For this reason (plus the possibility of loss or theft), I wore very minimal jewelry in port. I couldn't bear to take my engagement ring off, though, so I just turned mine around and had the diamond hidden in the palm of my hand whenever we walked around.

I'm about to go on my 2nd cruise with my wife. When we're in Port or out of the room we keep all of our valuables in our room safe. We did a 7 nighter in October and had no problems. Someone at work today says the room safes are not secure and they get broken into. Has anybody experienced this firsthand? If you can't keep your valuables in the safe where do you keep them? thanks.

Did this person at work ever take a cruise and had a safe broken into to? Sounds like one of these tales you hear from your hair-dresser who has a cousin, whose carpenter's son had a room mate who went on a cruise and had their valuables stolen because they left their hallway door open and their safe unlock.

Since you have been on a cruise before you know how a safe works and should feel comfortable knowing your valuables are quite safe.:p

I'm making today Pass Along a Smile Today - pass it on :)

Hey, I wonder if that friend is my mother. When I told her we are booked on a western caribean cruise for next June, her first comment was "Ewww, you couldn't pay me to go to Haiti or Jamaica".:eek: :o

You can tell your mom that I have requested that when I die that my DH is to take me back to Jamaica in a very small container and leave me there.:D

You can tell your mom that I have requested that when I die that my DH is to take me back to Jamaica in a very small container and leave me there.:D

25+ cruises and never had anything taken from our cabin, let alone our safe. We've needed maintenance for a safe a couple times. It wasn't easy to get into.

This subject came up a while back about the spy thing of being able to tell what numbers were used by using a spray. The simple answer to that was that almost all the numbers would have been used in a four week period. Even if only 4 numbers were used the number of tries is 1X2X3X4=24 combinations to try. If the spray shows only one or two more numbers it would go to 120 and 720. Most of us don't have enough in the safe to make all the effort worthwhile.

A few years ago when we got off our ship, we we going to Orlando (3 car loads) and notice my parents had turned around. Later when they finally show up at the Motel, my mom told us she left $600.00 in the safe in her room on the ship and had to go back and get it. They let her back on the ship and the money was still in the safe untouched.

We've been on two Princess cruises and have never hesitated to use the safe for cash, extra credit cards, jewelry, etc. But, be careful, the safes on Princess & I would think on other lines, has a lip in the front and because the safe is up on a higher shelf, it becomes difficult to see what's in there. On our last cruise, we found a pair of eye glasses that someone had left that got caught right in front of the safe. We turned them into the steward & hope whoever lost them got them back. Just be sure to run your hand over the entire interior before you disembark.

i found them safe. the one thing I did not like is that they were operated by a credit card (no other option on our ship). What the heck do you need in the evening other than your seapass, so space in my pocket was at a premium? I did not WANT to keep my credit card out, so I ended up hiding that somewhere in my cabin. I wish the sea pass would have locked it. that would have been perfect.

i found them safe. the one thing I did not like is that they were operated by a credit card (no other option on our ship). What the heck do you need in the evening other than your seapass, so space in my pocket was at a premium? I did not WANT to keep my credit card out, so I ended up hiding that somewhere in my cabin. I wish the sea pass would have locked it. that would have been perfect.

Next time if you know your ship is going to have the magnetic strip type lock, bring an old gift card or your grocery store card. They work the same and you don't have to worry about them.

We did have a bad experience with a safe. My DW had placed her earrings in the safe. When we got back to the room there was a note from the steward saying that they had found them on the floor.

I know my DW well enough to know that she is VERY organized. She didn't leave anything out. We are convinced that the steward was looking for a good tip.............it didn't work out for them!

Archived