Mariner of the Seas vs. Brilliance of the Seas

My wife and I took a 7 night caribbean cruise in October on Mariner of the Seas. We loved everything about that ship and the service provided by Royal Caribbean. We leave tuesday for a 12 night mediterranean cruise onboard Brilliance of the Seas. I know Mariner is bigger and newer than Brilliance but what are some of the other noticeable differences? If anyone has cruised on both I'd like to hear what you have to say. Even though Brilliance is only 5 years old does it show its age or is it in good shape inside and out? Is the gym as big on Brilliance? The main room for the shows on Brilliance....How is it? Any info. or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

My wife and I took a 7 night caribbean cruise in October on Mariner of the Seas. We loved everything about that ship and the service provided by Royal Caribbean. We leave tuesday for a 12 night mediterranean cruise onboard Brilliance of the Seas. I know Mariner is bigger and newer than Brilliance but what are some of the other noticeable differences? If anyone has cruised on both I'd like to hear what you have to say. Even though Brilliance is only 5 years old does it show its age or is it in good shape inside and out? Is the gym as big on Brilliance? The main room for the shows on Brilliance....How is it? Any info. or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

You are going to LOVE your cruise....I have also been on the 7 day Caribbean cruise on Mariner - and one of my Favorite ships...and twice on Brilliance in the Mediterranean... Brilliance is a wonderful - beautiful ship...I love all the glass...she has a wonderful crew....she is good shape... just sailed the second time last month....

We have been on both and truthfully I would say that Brilliance is my choice of the two. Mariner is a great ship but has some serious elevator problems (IMHO). I don't miss the Promenade one bit (except for the little cafe) and while we really enjoyed the ice show, we did not use the rink for personal skaing--which was very limited. Service is great on both. I do not think you will be disappointed in the least cruising Brilliance after Mariner.

HI-

Have never been on Brilliance but have been on her sister ship, Jewel, it is a year or two newer than Brilliance but is otherwise the same ship. We have also cruised on Mariner which we liked and are booked again this December. BUT we LOVED the Jewel. It is smaller, does NOT have the promenade/mall area and is built more along the lines of the traditional cruise ship. It is a beautiful ship with more glass and windows than I have ever seen and imagine Brilliance is the same. Jewel had both Chops and Portofino's just as Mariner does. It did NOT have Johnny Rockets, but a little cafe, the name escapes me now, that was OK, nothing special.

Thought the service was SUBSTANTIALLY better on Jewel, not that it was bad on Mariner. I attribute the difference to the increased number of people on Mariner.

Mariner more casual than Jewel IMO.

I think you'll be very happy on Brilliance, if I could pick either for the same cruise I would choose the Brilliance class of ship everytime.

Obviously we liked Mariner since we're going on her again, just like the other class more.

Am sure others will differ but that's my opinion!!:D

Where the voyager class ships have the Promenades in the middle of the boat what will the Brilliance of the Seas have in this part of the boat? It's really nice to hear such good things about this ship we're about to cruise on for our honeymoon. We don't mind a smaller boat as long as the service is good and everything is clean. We won't miss the Promenade either. We did use the ice skating rink on Mariner once. We very much enjoyed the ice show onboard Mariner but no big deal that we won't see it again. Can someone compare the gym size between the 2 ships? Any more comments would be appreciated.

we cruised on radience class ships prior to voyager class. there were several things that we missed....

on the brilliance......there is the ability to eat outdoors in the windjammer. this is such a nice touch. the seaview cafe (imo) is much better than johnny rockets and if you can't find a place to sit outside.....there is always space available up there. we also love the self leveling pool tables and the layout of the lounges and clubs.

since we cruise with our kids.....the voyager class has the promenade rooms which are nicer than plain old interior rooms.

Gym sizes are comparable, Mariner is probably bigger, but I never saw either gym particularly busy so you should be fine. Lots of cardio equipment on both. More weight machines on Mariner but both have a free weights section too.

There is a "centrum" in the Brilliance class of ships. There are shops, lounges, relaxation areas, just not the "mall like" effect that Mariner has. Brilliance has more of a "ship" feel to it than the Mariner class(frankly while on the promenade deck I always feel like I'm in a mall not on a ship---which I DON'T like). The Centrum covers several floors.

Why not go to RCCL website and look at virtual tour of the Brilliance class ships? That will give you a good idea of the difference. They are significantly different ships.

Gym sizes are comparable, Mariner is probably bigger, but I never saw either gym particularly busy so you should be fine. Lots of cardio equipment on both. More weight machines on Mariner but both have a free weights section too.

I spent a month on Brilliance in June and a week on Mariner in August, and have a slightly different take on the above. Mariner's gym is bigger, and to me, the fact that it has the separate room off to the starboard side for classes, stretching, etc makes a big difference. Both have comparable equipment; Mariner just has more of it, and there's more room to get around. I find Radiance class gyms to be small and confining, especially when there's a class or seminar going on. With that said, they are both very good facilities and I have no complaints.

Neither ship showed their age; they both were in tip-top condition.

I'll just echo some comments that have already been made:

> You will love the Med itinerary. You will be so busy though I'll be surprised if you get to the gym. ;)

> I had the best all around service ever on Brilliance. Can't say enough goods things about her and her crew.

> I love the outdoor Windjammer. It's my favorite Radiance class feature.

Brilliance is probably our favorite ship in the fleet. We've been on Voyager class 4 times [Mariner x 2] and Brilliance twice.

The 12 day Med cruise on Brilliance is the best individual cruise we have ever taken. Don't worry about the gym cause the itinerary will wear you out. Each class has its plusses but on Brilliance we loved:

Colony Club on Deck 6. Portofino and Chops are right there too. Seaview Cafe for pizza and custom pasta. Only edible pizza I have found on RCCL and the custom pasta is great! Only Brilliance has this Seaview menu cause she is run by RCCL Great Britain. Great Windjammer design...individual stations vs cafeteria line layout. There is a beautiful Concierge lounge if you qualify for entry. The dining room is 2 vs 3 stories on Brilliance and very beautifully appointed. Table 438 is right next to the captains table and the best location in the dining room.

Enjoy your trip.

We have been on both ships. The Mariner when we started back to cruising and got hooked, and the Brilliance which was the best cruise so far. The crew is absolute great. It is their pleasure to serve you.

If you go to the shows do not wait till the last minute to get a seat. The theater fills up rather quickly it is a little smaller than the Mariner's.

You will enjoy this ship and its crew.

I've done both more than once. This is something like comparing apples and oranges. They are both great ships. My husband likes the Mariner the best but I much prefer the Brilliance. There's nothing like sitting outdoors having breakfast in the Windjammer first thing in the morning. The Mariner doesn't have any outdoor dining except for Johnny Rockets. And then there are the sea views everywhere on the ship. You KNOW that you're at sea on the Brilliance. It's beautiful and understated. By far, my favourite.

LNF

the one mistake they made when they made the Voyager Class ships was they forgot that people really do like the sea and the sea air and the fact that they are at sea. the Freedom class ships have corrected that a bit. All that being said...hands down the Radiance class ships...the only thing I like about the Mariner better than the Brilliance is the fact that their OS rooms are much nicer and the disabled JR is more conveniently located.

We have been on both and truthfully I would say that Brilliance is my choice of the two. Mariner is a great ship but has some serious elevator problems (IMHO). I don't miss the Promenade one bit (except for the little cafe) and while we really enjoyed the ice show, we did not use the rink for personal skaing--which was very limited. Service is great on both. I do not think you will be disappointed in the least cruising Brilliance after Mariner.

I completely agree with what Truffles2 has said!

The Brilliance is the perfect ship for the itinerary you are doing in the Med. The Mariner is great for a good time in the Caribbean.

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

when we were on brilliance we found this little cafe on the 13th deck which served great clam chowder and wonderful sandwiches and you could eat outside and it was open from noon to 1 or 2 a.m. or so. it was wonderful. we ate there a lot.

On the Brilliance it is Italian dishes panninis, pasta and made to order pizzas, I am a NY pizza snob and they were yummy. It is called the Seaview Cafe and it is the only one in the fleet that has this menu, the others have the soups and sandwiches, etc.

The Brilliance is by far my favorite ship! And we love seaview cafe. They have great pizza that is made to order. We have been on the Mariner 2 times and are going again next year. But my favortie is BRILLIANCE!!! Its the staff and the wonderful layout that makes this ship a winner.

Have a wonderful time on her

Laura

I know Mariner is bigger and newer than Brilliance but what are some of the other noticeable differences? If anyone has cruised on both I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Wow, that would be a tough choice.

We have sailed on Mariner in April and Brilliance a few weeks ago.

Brilliance:

Loved the outdoor seating the WindJammer. Much better layout for the WindJammer as well, (not a cafeteria line)

Loved the Colony Club and its subdued decor.

Really enjoyed the SeaView Cafe. You have to really watch for the hours when it is open though.

Fantastic crew, very friendly. The gang in the Champagne Bar are so much fun. Order something once and they will remember your name for the rest of the week.

Shows were not the greatest....

Hated the shops area, way too crowded with tables in the hallways.

Pool deck seemed small.

Better layout for the disco, not too cavelike.

The room decor is much nicer than the Voyager class ships.

The Solarium is a delight.

Mariner:

Great entertainment. The production shows and ice show are really fun.

I like the Promenade on Mariner.

Music is always bad in the disco.

Love the Viking Crown bars (good view of the pool deck).

Was going into dry dock the week after we were on, the stuff that was faded or worn should have been replaced.

Artwork is much more interesting on Mariner.

Food available 24 hours (Promenade Cafe) (Not that I ever need food at 4am, but it is there)

Portofino was better on Mariner, but Chops was better on Brilliance.

Dining room food was similar on both.

Activities staff was annoying on Mariner.

I am sure there is more, but that is what I can think of at the moment.

There is a full summary of our Mariner cruise on our web site (address below), haven't finished writing the Brilliance summary yet.

Any specific questions, let me know.

Mike

Archived