COLUMBIA TRAVEL WARNINGS - JEWEL (Panama)

05mak05

I'm surprised that RCI has not switched Cartagena, Columbia to a different port in light of the continued State Dept. travel warnings. We're booked on the Jewel in '09. While violence has apparently decreased in Cortagena, we're still concerned. The US doesn't issue travel warnings lightly.

Travel Warning

United States Department of State

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Washington, DC 20520

This information is current as of today,document.write(Date()+".") Mon Oct 22 17:10:08 2007.

COLOMBIA

June 04, 2007

This Travel Warning updates ongoing security concerns in Colombia and reminds American citizens of those concerns. This supersedes the Travel Warning issued January 18, 2006.

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the dangers of travel to Colombia. Violence by narcoterrorist groups and other criminals continues to affect all parts of the country, urban and rural.

Violence has continued to decrease markedly in most urban areas, including Bogotá, Medellin, Barranquilla, and Cartagena. The level of violence in Cali, Buenaventura, and the surrounding areas remains high, largely as a result of the illicit drug trade. Many rural areas of Colombia remain extremely dangerous due to the presence of narcoterrorists and Colombian government operations against them.

Terrorist groups such as the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the National Liberation Army (ELN), and other criminal organizations, continue to kidnap civilians for ransom or as political bargaining chips. No one can be considered immune from kidnapping on the basis of occupation, nationality, or other factors. The FARC have held three American official contractors hostage since February 2003. Although the U.S. government places the highest priority on the safe recovery of kidnapped Americans, it is U.S. policy not to make concessions to or strike deals with kidnappers. Consequently, the U.S. government’s ability to assist kidnapping victims is limited.

U.S. government officials and their families in Colombia are permitted to travel to major cities in the country, but only by air. They are not allowed to use inter- or intra-city bus transportation. They also are not permitted to travel by road outside of urban areas at night. All Americans in Colombia are urged to follow these precautions.

As the Department develops information on potential security threats to U.S. citizens overseas, it shares credible threats through its Consular Information Program documents, available on the Internet at http://travel.state.gov. U.S. citizens should consult warden messages for Colombia at http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsc093.shtml, as well as the Department of State’s Consular Information Sheet for Colombia and Worldwide Caution Public Announcement at http://travel.state.gov. U.S. travelers can also get up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 in the U.S. or Canada or on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.

Perhaps the OP missed the section of the State Department advisory that noted a "marked decrease in violence" in major cities such as Cartagena.:rolleyes:

I believe that cruise lines such as RCI have the best interests of their passengers and crew when selecting their itineraries. Passengers are free to vote with their dollars by choosing not to sail on itineraries where they might feel unsafe, but these days that might be very limiting. Please read the entire advisory so that you get a complete picture of what and where the State Department is warning about before declaring that RCI or any line is knowingly placing their passengers in jeopardy. And while I know it is contrary to CC policy to be critical of spelling, one might at least expect that if you are warning people about dangers in a particular country, you might at least spell its name correctly. It is Colombia not Columbia.

Perhaps the OP missed the section of the State Department advisory that noted a "marked decrease in violence" in major cities such as Cartagena.:rolleyes:.......... Please read the entire advisory so that you get a complete picture of what and where the State Department is warning about before declaring that RCI or any line is knowingly placing their passengers in jeopardy.

I think it is you who is having the problem with reading comprehension. The OP stated quite clearly their understanding that "violence has apparantly decreased in Cartagena". And they were simply expressing their concern. :rolleyes: As to the tacky comment about spelling, you said it yourself....... Sometimes it is very inconvenient to have such a strong dislike of the yellow triangle. Sigh......

If it makes you uncomfortable then stay on the ship that day. In March we were on a similar itinerary on the Brilliance and a week or so before we went there was a mugging of Carnival passengers in one of the ports, I don't remember which right now, possibly Colon. Lots of people were worried but I look at it if you worried about crime in every port that the ships go you would never get off the ship. I can guarantee you there are probably more overall crime in many of the US ports.

Agreed--if you have concerns, stay on the ship, or pick a different itinerary. When we did the Panama trip, and we noticed that there was NO WAY to leave the ship except with a ship-sponsored excursion in Panama, it did leave us wondering why! Even when we pulled into the Colon pier and I saw the city outline beyond, I was thinking it would be nice to be able to explore--that is, until I looked through the binoculars at Colon! Awful, horrible, ghetto-y place! Broken windows, garbage everywhere, no actual pedestrian motion....That means the ship knew what it was doing!!!!

If you do choose to go to one of these places, stick with a formal excursion and you'll be fine.

We stopped in Cartagena in April while on the Radiance and took a ship's excursion. We felt very safe. As a matter of fact the locals seemed very pleased to have us there, and the local vendors were not overly pushy and were willing to haggle. I bought some souvenirs at very good prices.

I always type "Columbia" instead of "Colombia" when I'm not concentrating. (Actually, I did it again just then as "Columbia" is apparently on autopilot.) There are so many words that are not correctly spelled on these boards that I can't believe someone would bring that to focus. And, the poster states that violence has declined in Cartagena. Sure you can stay on the ship but I don't think that's the point. Here is a complete list of the countries on the "warning" list ... whoops, typed "warming" list ... glad I caught that typo! Honestly, I didn't know until I read this posting that Colu ... uh oh ... careful here ...

ColOmbia was on the Panama itineraries. Has this port been recently added? (I just pulled all of the Panama Canal itineraries

and see that it's become pretty hard to avoid this port sailing RCI out of Florida.)

10/19/2007

10/18/2007

10/17/2007

10/05/2007

09/24/2007

09/24/2007

09/21/2007

09/18/2007

09/14/2007

09/12/2007

09/06/2007

08/31/2007

08/09/2007

08/09/2007

07/23/2007

07/13/2007

06/14/2007

06/11/2007

06/04/2007

06/01/2007

05/31/2007

05/02/2007

04/27/2007

04/25/2007

04/24/2007

04/04/2007

01/19/2007

06/05/2006

smaller_print.gif Printer friendly version small_ev.gif Email

We were in Cartagena in Sept. on Rhapsody.

Extremely crowded on tours (we went on RCI tour), lots of pushy street vendors, very visible military presence everywhere because Colombia's President was there.

I got good deals on souvenirs.

Big city actually something like 800,000 people (?), with lots of tall buildings.

I understand the OP's concerns. I had the same concerns myself when I found out that Labadee is actually in Haiti (see the warning list below...). I've got two small children to worry about.

However, I ended up getting off the ship and enjoying Labadee very much... I ultimately felt comfortable that if the cruise line was at all concerned, they wouldn't have the property. Only you can make the decision for yourself... your cruise is far enough away that you can certainly cancel and book something else if you remain concerned!

Happy cruising...

I think it is you who is having the problem with reading comprehension. The OP stated quite clearly their understanding that "violence has apparantly decreased in Cartagena". And they were simply expressing their concern. :rolleyes: As to the tacky comment about spelling, you said it yourself....... Sometimes it is very inconvenient to have such a strong dislike of the yellow triangle. Sigh......

Tse. :eek:

The OP did not state that. It was part of the travel warning the OP posted. As a matter of fact the OP stated

I'm surprised that RCI has not switched Cartagena, Columbia to a different port in light of the continued State Dept. travel warnings.

:D

If it makes you uncomfortable then stay on the ship that day. In March we were on a similar itinerary on the Brilliance and a week or so before we went there was a mugging of Carnival passengers in one of the ports, I don't remember which right now, possibly Colon. Lots of people were worried but I look at it if you worried about crime in every port that the ships go you would never get off the ship. I can guarantee you there are probably more overall crime in many of the US ports.

I'd expected that from Carnival passengers. They are rude. :D

Tse. :eek:

The OP did not state that. It was part of the travel warning the OP posted. As a matter of fact the OP stated

:D

Are you reading the same original post that I am? The post I see - and I copy and paste here - says:

"I'm surprised that RCI has not switched Cartagena, Columbia to a different port in light of the continued State Dept. travel warnings. We're booked on the Jewel in '09. While violence has apparently decreased in Cortagena, we're still concerned. The US doesn't issue travel warnings lightly."

I don't think I have a different CC from everyone else? :eek: :D

Are you reading the same original post that I am? The post I see - and I copy and paste here - says:

"I'm surprised that RCI has not switched Cartagena, Columbia to a different port in light of the continued State Dept. travel warnings. We're booked on the Jewel in '09. While violence has apparently decreased in Cortagena, we're still concerned. The US doesn't issue travel warnings lightly."

I don't think I have a different CC from everyone else? :eek: :D

Didn't see that. OP must have edited it.

:D:p

I'd expected that from Carnival passengers. They are rude. :D

Aren't you the one who said you saw a lady taking your lounge chair, and you "screamed across the pool deck at her," demanded that she move the chair back ASAP, and told her that she was lucky that you didn't call her the "B" word? If you think Carnival passengers are rude, why aren't you sailing with Carnival? Seems that would be the cruise line for you. :D

cruising on the brilliance this christmas and cartagena is one of the stops. for those of you who have been before.......i would love to know if anyone knows anyone who went on the ROSARIO ISLAND tour?:rolleyes:

everyone on our roll call is totally perplexed about all the mixed messages regarding this port. we'd all like to do a ship's excursion but need advice...so please........ADVISE!

...i would love to know if anyone knows anyone who went on the ROSARIO ISLAND tour?:rolleyes:

Sorry, but none of them made it back to the ship. It's so sad.;)

Don't let a few hysterical fear mongers scare you away from having a great time. The fact remains that crimes against tourists are very rare no matter where you go. Go with a ship excursion, stay in groups, and you'll be fine.

Jimmers

I completely agree with Jimmers.

We didn't take the Rosario tour but we did take a ship excursion and enjoyed it very much. Plus, Colombia is one country most Americans never get to see! We enjoyed our tour and the people a lot.

If you have purchased travel insurance and travel to a location where your government has issued a warning and you are hurt/mugged/caused harm you may not be covered under your policy. Chances are you are completely safe, but if you wind up in trouble, then you may have serious problems.

Recently we had a client travelling to Russia. When we consulted with the Insurer, they forwarded a Gov. of Canada travel warning about Russia. Their warning to our client was that in the event that he was in peril while in Russia he "MAY NOT" be covered under his policy.

Read your policies very closely including the health care portion. There are always exclusions and they include war/insurrection, usually now terrorism as well and there is usually a clause regarding warnings now.

You need to travel smart and if your gut tells you there is danger and you should be careful, listen.

Archived