Live from the Zuiderdam

Dotsie

We will skip Nassau and have 2 (?) sea days. We were told this morning that Port Everglades will be closed today at 3PM. We are sailing in calm waters for now but that could change. We are sailing away from the hurricaine at a safe distance. (Cuba, Key West).

I'm sure many have questions about next cruise and I will try to answer any questions you have.

Dotsie

Please so many of our friends have questions as to where and when HA will come into a port, any port. The HA web site is giving no info. I do not want people stranded in Florida. What are they telling you on the ship? '

Thank you

KK -

I was wondering the same thing! Where are they going to dock? and when? You would think those flying would be concerned about having to re-book air, I know I would be.. this is just a mess of non-information... :confused:

Dotsie posted at 2:11 ... "will try to answer questions"

Subsequent postings are through 2:28 ...

17 minutes is not such a long time. And it's only out of the kindness and expense of an onboard person that any information is coming off the Z.

Also, as far the lines (ship, air, whetever) making their commitments to schedule or close, there's a lot at stake.

IMO it's not too unexepcted that, given the inability of the forecasters (and their methods) to pinpoint the location of the storm's hit, there may be some "wait and see" that is not only reasonable but also fairly prudent. Everyone is trying to work within a set of unknowns to arrive at the best conclusion.

Maybe we could give 'em a break while they work through it.

Just a thought.

Port Everglades' website shows the Zuiderdam docking very early on Sunday morning, September 5th. The Caribbean Princess and Century, both due on Saturday, the 4th, also are shown as docking on the 5th near the time the Zuiderdam is due to arrive.

I just received this from a friend who is a sound techie on the Zuiderdam.

As of 1500 hours today, Port Everglades is officially closed to all incoming shipping. So, we are floating in sheltered waters between Cuba and Key West waiting to see what Frances will do to Florida. You probably know more than I, but as things develop and decisions are made; I will let you know. We had a miserable day in Tortola, BVI; lots of wind and rain. In St. Thomas USVI, yesterday, it was sunny and beautiful. Good break for the pax.

If and when I receive anymore updates, I will post them here.

The last update was this morning and all the captain said was that we were sailing in sheltered waters near Key West and Cuba. There were very few updates.......the passengers all seem to congregate in the Internet lounge for news of the hurricaine. Keep in mind that we only get CNN (2 channels) on the room tv and they only mention the hurricaine every hour or so with very little information to go on. I don't know if we will be able to get to Port Everglades on Saturday. I think we will have no other choice but to stay on the ship Saturday unless the hurricaine changes. We are in calm waters now. I can't imagine the logistics of coordinating this for the cruise line.

Will check in tomorrow morning if we still have internet. The internet was down this morning.

Dotsie

Here is a communication that my sister sent to me from the head office.

The MS Zuiderdam is sailing south of Hispanola in calm seas, sunshine and light winds. The vessel which was scheduled to call in Nassau on Friday, Sept. 3rd will instead spend the day at sea far from the impact of the storm. The ship was scheduled to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at the conclusion of its cruise on Sat. Sept. 4th.

The US Coast Guard has closed Pt. Everglades to incoming vessels due to the approaching hurricane. At this point, depending on the impact of the storm, the port is expected to re-open sometime late Saturday afternoon or Sunday. The Zuiderdam will arrive at Port Everglades as soon as practical following the opening of the port. We will continue to closely monitor the storm and will make additional changes if needed. Friends and family of those currently on the Zuiderdam can call 888-624-5788 for the latest information.

Dotsie

Here is a communication that my sister sent to me from the head office.

The MS Zuiderdam is sailing south of Hispanola in calm seas, sunshine and light winds. The vessel which was scheduled to call in Nassau on Friday, Sept. 3rd will instead spend the day at sea far from the impact of the storm. The ship was scheduled to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at the conclusion of its cruise on Sat. Sept. 4th.

The US Coast Guard has closed Pt. Everglades to incoming vessels due to the approaching hurricane. At this point, depending on the impact of the storm, the port is expected to re-open sometime late Saturday afternoon or Sunday. The Zuiderdam will arrive at Port Everglades as soon as practical following the opening of the port. We will continue to closely monitor the storm and will make additional changes if needed. Friends and family of those currently on the Zuiderdam can call 888-624-5788 for the latest information.

Dotsie

That is on the HAL website as well...thanks.

Thanks, Dotsie: Keep us posted and enjoy your extra time in those calm waters. Florida is in for a terrible beating and everyone who is scheduled on the Z after you get back is having a tought time trying to figure things out for next week. We just hope you find things workable when you get back into port. Florida from about Palm Beach north could be a mess, but let's hope not! DFD

I just received this from a friend who is a sound techie on the Zuiderdam.

As of 1500 hours today, Port Everglades is officially closed to all incoming shipping. So, we are floating in sheltered waters between Cuba and Key West waiting to see what Frances will do to Florida. You probably know more than I, but as things develop and decisions are made; I will let you know. We had a miserable day in Tortola, BVI; lots of wind and rain. In St. Thomas USVI, yesterday, it was sunny and beautiful. Good break for the pax.

If and when I receive anymore updates, I will post them here.

Esme - Thanks for posting - it is nice that you have actual info from someone on board, we've all been spinning our heels here... please keep us updated as your friend updates you - I'm positive it is most appreciated! :)

Between Dotsie and my friend, I think we are being kept up-to-date on what is happening.

This was sent to me last night at 11pm from the ship.

We spent yesterday in Tortola after avoiding Frances. It was raining, thunder and lightning. All the local boats were hurricane prepared. The good news is that the whole area was spared the wrath of Hurricane Frances. Today,in St.Thomas, USVI, the weather was sunny and normal. So all of our guests got a break. However, unknown to them, it was decided to spend two days at sea instead of heading to our scheduled port of Nassau. That was announced when we prepared to sail. What will happen for our stop in the home port of Port Everglades; at this time has not been decided. I will let you know further news as it happens. The latest update from our Captain as of 1600 hours on Thursday, we are heading for safe waters and will wait between Key West and Cuba; until such time as the US Coast Guard will reopen Port Everglades. The port was closed to any arriving shipping at 1500 hours today.

They have an excellent, very competent Master in charge of the ship - Captain Hans van Biljouw who we have sailed with many times back in the "good old days". I know he will get them safely back to FLL, but when is anyone's guess - hopefully Sunday.

More info as it comes in. At least at the moment everyone on board the ship is safe and being well fed, I am sure. :)

Archived