Hello from Volendam!

bepsf

Terrific video, revneal! And the music was a perfect match. The movie critics at our house gave it a two-thumbs up!

Thank you! I appreciate the "two-thumbs-up!" :D The music was a tough choice. I was looking for something kinda classical and yet with varying tempos and some fun. The musical soundtracks from the various "Space Battleship Yamato" movies (1980s early Japanese Anime) are fun, so I searched and found something that worked.

Next time we do an in-and-out trip I'm going to take one of the shore excursions that will enable me to observe operations from shore.
Great idea! We took the "ocean to ocean" train excursion over to Miraflores where we were able to watch things over there. The canal is truly an amazing piece of engineering.

Great idea! We took the "ocean to ocean" train excursion over to Miraflores where we were able to watch things over there. The canal is truly an amazing piece of engineering.

I had originally planned to do one this time, but by the time it came time to book the excursions what I wanted to do had either been cancelled or was full, so I decided to just enjoy the day aboard ship. I've been through the canal (all the way) before, and had a blast doing it. But, I wanted to see it again from the ship, so I'm glad I didn't. Next time, however, I'll probably be more ready to do one of the shore excursions.

Great pictures and video - an incredible preview of things to come. I just got in from London and spent the whole trip back just kept thinking that now I can devote my time to dreaming about the cruise then "poof" there was your post!

They are great pictures - perhaps you should offer them to HAL, in return for some return trips!

Thanks for sharing-

Michelle

We will be on the April lst Volendam cruise and would like to know if and when there was a Master Chefis Dinner on your 10 day Panama Canal Cruise? If we know far ahead of time what day it takes place, we can make other arrangements.

Thanks

Synet165:)

Great pictures and video - an incredible preview of things to come. I just got in from London and spent the whole trip back just kept thinking that now I can devote my time to dreaming about the cruise then "poof" there was your post!

They are great pictures - perhaps you should offer them to HAL, in return for some return trips!

Thank you, Michelle.

I pray you have a great cruise leading up to Christmas!

We will be on the April lst Volendam cruise and would like to know if and when there was a Master Chefis Dinner on your 10 day Panama Canal Cruise? If we know far ahead of time what day it takes place, we can make other arrangements.

Synet165, on our sailing of the Volendam the Master Chef's Dinner was on the evening we left Costa Rica.

Synet165, on our sailing of the Volendam the Master Chef's Dinner was on the evening we left Costa Rica.

Synet--

We checked with the Pinnacle Manager the first night out as well later in the week with Nick, the Food Manager, to make sure that was indeed the evening so that we could enjoy a quiet dinner in Pinnacle that evening.

If that's your intention for asking, I suggest you do the same.

Synet--

We checked with the Pinnacle Manager the first night out as well later in the week with Nick, the Food Manager, to make sure that was indeed the evening so that we could enjoy a quiet dinner in Pinnacle that evening.

If that's your intention for asking, I suggest you do the same.

Brian,

We agree with you. One of the first things we ask when we board a HAL ship is when is the Master Chef's Dinner and for sure, we make a reservation for that night at the Pinnacle Grill. Maybe, HAL will start getting the message that we are a bit tired of this dinner!

Maybe, HAL will start getting the message that we are a bit tired of this dinner!

I have experienced the "song-and-dance" routine twice, and each time it was featured prominently in my letter to Seattle as something that I did not enjoy and would like to see retired. I don't mind the dinner theme, the menu items, the different steward uniforms -- what we had on the Ryndam for the Chef's Dinner was acceptable -- but the song-and-dance routine is just too much for me. I have endured it twice; I seen no reason to have to endure it a third time. If those who have never been want to experience it, I believe they should have that chance while it still lasts.

• 3 months later...
I enjoyed reading about your cruise. Since my DW and I will take the same cruise on board the Zuiderdam next December, it was nice to get your perspective and see the pictures of the islands and canal.

The canal is fantastic ... always worth a re-visit. If you've not had a chance to view my photos from my full-transit through the ditch, check my photos here:

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/panamacanal/Menu18.html

As always, Greg, wonderfully amazing pictures. And I love your website format! Wish I could do that! Really special and easy to navigate without huge load times like I often experience on Webshots.

Thanks so much for sharing!:)

Thank you, Heather. I appreciate that. :)

Question ... how did you get your cute puppy in your picture with you?? :D

Thank you, Heather. I appreciate that. :)

Question ... how did you get your cute puppy in your picture with you?? :D

On my desktop computer I have an old Microsoft PictureIt! program. Actually I love it and you can't get it anymore.

So I brought up the picture of us on the Prinsendam and the picture of Molly. I can then cut around her, size it, and "paste" her onto our picture. I did another one where I had a picture of DH at the rail of a lounge and another of me. I pasted the two together.

I'm sure you can do it with other programs, but with this one it's just so easy:) .

On my desktop computer I have an old Microsoft PictureIt! program. Actually I love it and you can't get it anymore.

So I brought up the picture of us on the Prinsendam and the picture of Molly. I can then cut around her, size it, and "paste" her onto our picture. I did another one where I had a picture of DH at the rail of a lounge and another of me. I pasted the two together.

I'm sure you can do it with other programs, but with this one it's just so easy:) .

LOL ... oh ... yes ... that can be done with Photoshop, too. :)

It's a CUTE photo! Makes ya wonder why we can't take our fur children aboard ship.

What is the Master Chef's Dinner? I don't believe I've ever heard of it before. Frankly, It doesn't sound like I've missed anything!

A little song; a little dance; a little seltzer.... No, wait. I was getting carried away. ;)

It's a night with a "special" (ie: limited) dinner menu along with production numbers.

You enter to find a paper chef's hat replacing your napkin. Then the stewards, along with the activities staff and show dancers, enter singing and dancing. Your napkin is placed on your lap as part of the routine.

You make choices from a very limited menu. Then the performers juggle vegetables---and your salad is served.

More production numbers, more interruptions to conversation, and then the best (IMO) part of the meal is served---dessert! It's a white chocolate chef's hat filled with delicious chocolate mousse.

Now aren't you sorry you asked?

It's a white chocolate chef's hat filled with delicious chocolate mousse.
The chef's touque has been replaced on the Volendam (which I left yesterday), the chocolate mousse was there but it was surrounded by a chocolate ribbon. As soon as my pictures are edited, I'll pop that particular one on this thread so you can see it, Ruth.

The Master Chef's Dinner was as hideous as ever. There was nothing even remotely resembling a 'production' show. My comment card spoke volumes about this abomination:eek:

The chef's touque has been replaced on the Volendam (which I left yesterday), the chocolate mousse was there but it was surrounded by a chocolate ribbon. As soon as my pictures are edited, I'll pop that particular one on this thread so you can see it, Ruth.

The Master Chef's Dinner was as hideous as ever. There was nothing even remotely resembling a 'production' show. My comment card spoke volumes about this abomination:eek:

Hey, Richard! Welcome back!

It seems like you JUST left! :D

Thanks for the info, Richard. And thanks for the offer to post the new dessert picture. Since I'll never again be hungry enough to attend the Master Chef's Dinner I think that's the only way I'll ever see it. ;)

Thanks for the info, Richard. And thanks for the offer to post the new dessert picture. Since I'll never again be hungry enough to attend the Master Chef's Dinner I think that's the only way I'll ever see it. ;)

Have you checked to see if the dessert is on the Lido menu on "Revels with Rudy" night?

A little song; a little dance; a little seltzer.... No, wait. I was getting carried away. ;)

It's a night with a "special" (ie: limited) dinner menu along with production numbers.

You enter to find a paper chef's hat replacing your napkin. Then the stewards, along with the activities staff and show dancers, enter singing and dancing. Your napkin is placed on your lap as part of the routine.

You make choices from a very limited menu. Then the performers juggle vegetables---and your salad is served.

More production numbers, more interruptions to conversation, and then the best (IMO) part of the meal is served---dessert! It's a white chocolate chef's hat filled with delicious chocolate mousse.

Now aren't you sorry you asked?

It sounds as though my wife and I need to plan for a Pinnacle night or at the very least, a trip to the Lido for dinner on this particular night.

Bill

Archived