Hello from Volendam!

bepsf

I think Coily's question is a good one. Are there no boundaries when it comes to socially correct dress code, excluding, of course the silly, way out there exceptions? Or, whenever and wherever, is it just a matter of personal taste and those who are offended should just get over it.

Greg:

Enjoyed reading your review. Definitely top shelf. What is this about a picture. I am having trouble finding out what this is about. Please enlighten me.

Robb

Thank you, Robb. I was beginning to think that my review had been buried under all the other stuff (off topic and otherwise).

During the cruise I reported live on this thread from the ship. Brian's posts were more colorful in terms of words, while mine were a little more matter-of-fact. However, I did post a few dozen, or so, selected photos. Most of these photographs involved shots of scenery, the canal, people having fun, etc. These photos were, generally, well received. A few of my photos, however, were not well received ... and the firestorm that erupted following my posting of them unfortunately overshadowed Brian's fantastic posts and my own photos of the canal. Those "other photos" consisted of a few candid shots, taken on formal night, of several "dress code violations" (i.e., people in shorts and t-shirts). I took and posted them in order to substantiate my earlier report that there were large numbers of people not dressed according to code. However, my purpose was misconstrued, spun into the most negative light, and I was pilloried (i.e.: tarred and feathered in absentia) to an extreme that went far beyond the scope of those few photos. I'm a monster. An ogre. An evil, uncaring, insensitive, judgmental person who should be fitted with concrete galoshes and tossed overboard, Tuxedo and all.

Isn't cruising grand? :D

As I promised some time back, here are photos of the Daily Programs from the Volendam's November 3-13, 2007 cruise.

November 3 (Day 1) -- Embarkation

November 4 (Day 2) -- Half Moon Cay

November 5 (Day 3) -- At Sea

--a - Daily Schedule

--b - Dining Schedule

--c - Music and Dancing Schedule

November 6 (Day 4) -- Aruba

November 7 (Day 5) -- Curacao

November 8 (Day 6) -- At Sea

November 9 (Day 7) -- Panama Canal

--a - Daily Schedule

--b - Dining Schedule (note, different times for Canal operations)

November 10 (Day 8) -- Costa Rica

November 11 (Day 9) -- At Sea

November 12 (Day 10) -- At Sea

Click on links above for each day/segment. Images will open in separate window.

Some have asked me, via email, to provide any information that was given out aboard ship regarding the ship's cell service. Here's the front and back of the notice that were were given during check-in.

Front

Back

I hope this helps any who have questions about the ship's cell and data service.

For those who are interested in iPhone operations, I didn't use my iPhone while at sea. However, I once did forget to set my iPhone into "airplane" mode and, as a result, received notice of 2 voice mails. I didn't call them, or listen to them, so I don't know if that resulted in any charges. I'll know soon enough ... once the bill comes.

Here's hoping that any ghost you might encounter, is friendly. :)

This was post #4 on this thread before the cruise even embarked. When all has been said and done, I am not sure the ghost was friendly.

This brilliant thread derailed when certain pictures/comments were posted.

Of all the pictures/comments, one in particular, haunts me and it has nothing to do with the dress code. I fail to see the humor in what appears to be satire of a fragile friend.

I may be reading far more into it than the situation warranted and if so, I sincerely appologise. I base my reaction only on what I see and read, here and how friends treat friends. The whole deal just saddens me.

Well, as Brian began this "live from" thread, I was hoping to hear more from him. He hasn't posted since the last day on the ship, and I hope he made it home safe and sound. I've enjoyed Brian's commentary very much. I think he's an excellent writer; his prose is both entertaining and flows easily. I would like to read his final summary, if he's so inclined to post one here for us.

Brian, this did start out as your thread; perhaps you would like to close it for us? Thanks very much.:)

Karin

I must say that in my earlier post "cub reporter" was not aimed at BPSF. I think he did a great job of reporting the highlights of the cruise.

I was not aiming arrows at anyone who might have a problem............. !!!!!!!!!!!!

My thrust was "Clothes don't make the man"...........

We all have our weak points.........

My main point was that, can't we just go on a cruise and enjoy ourselves..........??? Don't look at others and judge, compare, criticize, etc. !!!!!!!!

The people who post on any cruise message board make up a tiny percent of cruisers. Whoever posts here is the "grain of sand'"

The Cruise Companys are going for the bottom line, and they have alot of cabins to fill.

We can debate, flame, philosophize (SP) and criticize(SP) sorry its late...........

But we can agree that we all love to cruise......

Times are changing, like it or not.......

We can choose to be dinosaurs and become extinct or adapt and go into the future.

Maybe its me, but when I cruise I want to leave the reality of MY world behind and consider that any other cruise mates are doing the same thing.

We can discuss the the pros and cons of a certain cruise, which will be subjective of course.... But who are we to judge our fellow passengers ????

Yes, my post may have stirred the pot........ But, life is short.......... Enjoy it while you can, and don't let the little things you can't control bother you...

IMy main point was that, can't we just go on a cruise and enjoy ourselves..........??? Don't look at others and judge, compare, criticize, etc. !!!!!!!!

The people who post on any cruise message board make up a tiny percent of cruisers. Whoever posts here is the "grain of sand'"

Well said John. Thank you . :)

Heather what are "car wash pants"? :confused:

Just noticed your question----"Car wash pants" are dress pants made of light fabric that have four filmy panels hanging from the waist to the floor. If one stands still it looks like the wearer has on a formal skirt but when one starts to walk or move about the panels move and the pants underneath are visable. They are quite elegant and the name comes from those floppy thingies that hang from above in the car wash and flop over your car.

I hope Heather doesn't mind me answering the question directed at her.

As I promised some time back, here are photos of the Daily Programs from the Volendam's November 3-13, 2007 cruise.

Thanks for the info. I have taken the liberty to cut and paste the daily programs to our Roll Call board departing in a few short days. We will drink to your honor when we get together.:p

One question I do have regarding the cell phone service on board. Did you find many people using it? If so, were they courteous or obnoxious? The day they allow cell phones on airplanes is the day I will probably be taken out in handcuffs!:mad:

Regards

Does that include making fashion mistakes; i.e., we shouldnt be ridiculed (by having our pictures taken and posted everywhere) ? If one mistake begs forgiveness, so should lack of fashion knowledge.

Of course. You may not have read all my posts on the subject. :)

I'm a "live and let live" kind of gal.

Here is a story I'd like to share. My Mom is in her eighties. Until my Dad passed two years ago, she had been cruising several times a year for the past 25-30 years. Sadly, in recent years (as she got older) she began having difficulty putting articles of clothing together - whether it be based on clothing style and/or color - she came up with some pretty bizarre outfits. It sadden me to see her deteriorate that way - as she always loved dressing for formal nights on cruises. She could easily pair a sparkly top with a pair of slacks she would wear grocery shopping and see nothing wrong with it.

Through no fault of her own - perhaps just old age and onset of Alzheimers, she is now totally unable to select her own clothing. Years ago, when it began, it never occurred to her that anything was a miss, and she enjoyed herself immensely. When we discovered she was having trouble, my sisters and I began to put outfits together for her, especially when she travelled.

I really hate to imagine people snickering or taking her picture to illustrate some type of "point".

Thank you, Laura ... I understand your position and respect your opinion.

Well, as you can see from my post above, I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to this sort of thing, having gone through all this with my Mom.

I tend to see things from that perspective only, though I did try and understand why you were posting the pics. :)

Just noticed your question----"Car wash pants" are dress pants made of light fabric that have four filmy panels hanging from the waist to the floor. If one stands still it looks like the wearer has on a formal skirt but when one starts to walk or move about the panels move and the pants underneath are visable. They are quite elegant and the name comes from those floppy thingies that hang from above in the car wash and flop over your car.

I hope Heather doesn't mind me answering the question directed at her.

Thank you sapper1, that was an excellent description :)

Of course. You may not have read all my posts on the subject. :)

I'm a "live and let live" kind of gal.

Here is a story I'd like to share. My Mom is in her eighties. Until my Dad passed two years ago, she had been cruising several times a year for the past 25-30 years. Sadly, in recent years (as she got older) she began having difficulty putting articles of clothing together - whether it be based on clothing style and/or color - she came up with some pretty bizarre outfits. It sadden me to see her deteriorate that way - as she always loved dressing for formal nights on cruises. She could easily pair a sparkly top with a pair of slacks she would wear grocery shopping and see nothing wrong with it.

Through no fault of her own - perhaps just old age and onset of Alzheimers, she is now totally unable to select her own clothing. Years ago, when it began, it never occurred to her that anything was a miss, and she enjoyed herself immensely. When we discovered she was having trouble, my sisters and I began to put outfits together for her, especially when she travelled.

I really hate to imagine people snickering or taking her picture to illustrate some type of "point".

Laura thank you for sharing this. My parents are elderly and if my Mother didn't have Dad to help dress her, I'm sure I'd have the same story to tell. I also try to "live and let live". Rudeness and cruelty towards others upset me more than anything else I can think of. :(

Heather -- A wifebeater is a sleeveless undershirt that men wear. Think of Marlon Brando yelling Stella! In A Streetcar Named Desire

Thanks! Never heard the expression!:)

And this above all is true, JohnR. Very well said. Too many here from time to time forget this.

Laura, thank you for sharing that story. It reminds me of a time my Mom had just recovered from lung cancer, but still did not quite have all her wits about her. She was staying with us and we were going for a drive one day. Always an impeccable dresser, my Mom took great care getting ready.

She came out into the hall all dressed up in a beautiful yellow suit and nice blouse, stockings and heels. She said "Well, I'm all set!!!"

My eyes drifted down and she had her slip very nicely covering her skirt. Not the same thing as what you describe but it did remind me of a very tender moment with my Mom when she realized what she had done.

She, too, cruised all over the world until about 10 years ago. I guess it's "in the blood":)

Archived