Hello from Volendam!

bepsf

Greg, with respect, this thread was much about gossip albeit about people we don't know, but still gossip and with pictures. I think JohnR was merely trying to point out that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I appreciate your perspective, although I disagree relative to the pertinent nature of reports from aboard ship regarding how people do or do not dress to the code.

Yes, we do all make mistakes ... and those mistakes also shouldn't be held against us for all eternity and taken into the real-world and used in an attempt to destroy the real-world life and careers of others.

I agree with you 100% on this. That type of behavior is uncalled for, unnecessary and just wrong.

I, for one - immensely enjoyed Brian's onboard reports. I felt as though I was on the cruise with you guys and I did not read anything posted in his travelogue that I felt was inappropriate. It was some of the best writing I've seen here, ever. :) I'm glad he took the the time to share with us.

The only issue I had was with the photos. I understand why you posted them - I've seen people on this forum post "No way" when you've mentioned your experiences with past formal nights.

However, I feel posting someone's random photo as an example of "what not to wear" seems to be a bit shallow and perhaps a bit mean-spirited. That is just my thought on the issue. Others here had no issue with the photos whatsoever, so I'm probably the minority. :)

You always post such great photos and commentary, so I was a little taken back by the other photos, truthfully.

It's over though - no sense in re-hashing it to death. As far as "asking for details"... just consider the source and know that not everyone feels that way. :)

I, for one - immensely enjoyed Brian's onboard reports. I felt as though I was on the cruise with you guys and I did not read anything posted in his travelogue that I felt was inappropriate. It was some of the best writing I've seen here, ever. :) I'm glad he took the the time to share with us. :)

Laura, I am with you on this. Brian's writing was non judgemental and highly entertaining. The image he portrayed of himself, at the Idol Competition was priceless.

But don't you see John's point? I think I do. It's easy to cast stones and talk about "who did what to whom" and "who drank x amount", etc.

I DON'T want to know who this person is - and I don't see that John was offering this up as an attack - merely to point out that we're all human. :)

We all make mistakes on occasion. We shouldn't necessarily be ridiculed for them. :)

Does that include making fashion mistakes; i.e., we shouldnt be ridiculed (by having our pictures taken and posted everywhere) ? If one mistake begs forgiveness, so should lack of fashion knowledge.

I am on my way out the door right now to a very, very expensive, supposedly "classy" venue that my daughter hopes to have her wedding reception at....and guess what? I have my jeans and tennis shoes on!! My money is certainly the same whether it comes out of my jeans pocket or my leather wallet......I dare these people to snub me ! ha !:)

I would guess "NOT", John, my handsome cop! ;)

I've been at fine wedding receptions and seen the entire gambit of dress.

One rents the "hall" and lets the chips fall where they may.

Have a nice Thanksgiving, honey. :)

Thanks daaahling!;) Here's wishing a great Thanksgiving plus safe travel (if you're having to do that to get where you are going) to you and everyone else here on CC!

Does that include making fashion mistakes; i.e., we shouldnt be ridiculed (by having our pictures taken and posted everywhere) ? If one mistake begs forgiveness, so should lack of fashion knowledge.

I am on my way out the door right now to a very, very expensive, supposedly "classy" venue that my daughter hopes to have her wedding reception at....and guess what? I have my jeans and tennis shoes on!! My money is certainly the same whether it comes out of my jeans pocket or my leather wallet......I dare these people to snub me ! ha !:)

I hope someone shows up at your daughter's fancy-shmancy wedding in shorts and tee shirt. Let us know your response to these "whatever I want" people.

I hope someone shows up at your daughter's fancy-shmancy wedding in shorts and tee shirt. Let us know your response to these "whatever I want" people.

Personally, I would be delighted to see any one of my (step) daughter's friends sharing in such a joyous occasion..... it wouldn't matter a bit HOW they were dressed.

To think otherwise would be rude, judgmental and condescending.

Spacecat: When you finally get around to reading this tomorrow, I'm hoping that you will have found your venue of dreams for the glorious event! :)

Personally, I would be delighted to see any one of my (step) daughter's friends sharing in such a joyous occasion..... it wouldn't matter a bit HOW they were dressed.

Spacecat: When you finally get around to reading this tomorrow, I'm hoping that you will have found your venue of dreams for the glorious event! :)

Speaking as a new mother of the bride (Sept. 15), I agree with NNN. We had all forms of dress at the wedding (wedding party was formal, including me), but I couldn't have cared less what the guests were wearing. I was having too much fun to notice.

Speaking as a new mother of the bride (Sept. 15), I agree with NNN. We had all forms of dress at the wedding (wedding party was formal, including me), but I couldn't have cared less what the guests were wearing. I was having too much fun to notice.

Mama told me that a gracious hostess does not notice such things about her guests.:)

The only issue I had was with the photos. I understand why you posted them - I've seen people on this forum post "No way" when you've mentioned your experiences with past formal nights.

However, I feel posting someone's random photo as an example of "what not to wear" seems to be a bit shallow and perhaps a bit mean-spirited. That is just my thought on the issue.

Thank you, Laura ... I understand your position and respect your opinion.

Just got back and WOW! The venue is like a castle/cottage......they actually call it the Kincade House, the back yard has a huge pond with waterfalls and thats where the ceremony will take place, but the best part was ..... The owner drove up in her Porsche 911 dressed in....of all things....jeans and cowboy boots!! HORROR. SHUDDER. WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?

What a laugh we shared when after all the details were discussed, I shared this little controversy thats been on-going with her, and actually told her what my last post stated. Whether certain members of society like it or not, there are a few of us who are "live and let live".

Thanks for your kind words!

The wedding is set for August...its usually over 100 degrees in our neck of the woods in August.....it will be outside, and if anyone honors us with their presence while wearing shorts and tee-shirts, all I will say is "Thank you for coming"!

Shari

Your mother sounds like a very nice lady!

Yes, she sounds nice and a true lady ;)

Shari enjoy this time, the wedding sounds lovely! Having just gone through it ourselves (DD's wedding was outdoors too, but we had it in Sept. and had to hope for no rain!!) :eek: Luckily it didn't rain until the following day. I can look back and know everything you must be feeling and going through now.

Yes, she sounds nice and a true lady ;)

Shari enjoy this time, the wedding sounds lovely! Having just gone through it ourselves (DD's wedding was outdoors too, but we had it in Sept. and had to hope for no rain!!) :eek: Luckily it didn't rain until the following day. I can look back and know everything you must be feeling and going through now.

Thanks! Our oldest daughter got married 2 years ago so we have done this once before, but hers was very small and her ideas completely different than her sister! Of course, there are 8 years difference in age between them too so I expected that! Did you carry a notebook with you and jot down EVERY idea? We are doing that and so far its been a big help!:)

All that being said, there is no reason whatsoever to worry about who wears what! I just want everyone to be happy, relaxed, and enjoy the day! And the evening......!

Thanks! Our oldest daughter got married 2 years ago so we have done this once before, but hers was very small and her ideas completely different than her sister! Of course, there are 8 years difference in age between them too so I expected that! Did you carry a notebook with you and jot down EVERY idea? We are doing that and so far its been a big help!:)

All that being said, there is no reason whatsoever to worry about who wears what! I just want everyone to be happy, relaxed, and enjoy the day! And the evening......!

Shari I was blessed with an overly organized daughter so I only had to do as I was told :D which was fine with me because I loved all her ideas. As for her, yes, I'm sure she carried a notebook around, I hear she even took notes at all her friends weddings the year before ;) :D

And no, I was not in the least worried about what guests would wear. I was just happy that everyone had a good time!

Shari I was blessed with an overly organized daughter so I only had to do as I was told :D which was fine with me because I loved all her ideas. As for her, yes, I'm sure she carried a notebook around, I hear she even took notes at all her friends weddings the year before ;) :D

And no, I was not in the least worried about what guests would wear. I was just happy that everyone had a good time!

I learned the notebook trick with the first wedding....and we actually used it tonite.... as I started to drive away, I had to roll down my car window and get my daughters attention and tell her to note that we would need a way to shuttle people to and from the wedding site as there is absolutely NO parking. It would be AWFUL to forget that LITTLE detail until the day before!!

I'm glad you have happy memories! I'm hopeful we will too!

Archived