Hello from Volendam!

bepsf

Thank you for your excellent diary. Particularly interesting as we are going to Panama for the first time in December with P&O, but also that we are going on our first HAL cruise on Rotterdam to South America in March.

I do so hope you will do the same thing for the South America cruise.

Thank you for your excellent diary. Particularly interesting as we are going to Panama for the first time in December with P&O, but also that we are going on our first HAL cruise on Rotterdam to South America in March.

I do so hope you will do the same thing for the South America cruise.

You're very welcome. I plan on filing at least some reports from the Rotterdam on my South America/Antarctica Cruise, however it will be RuthC who will be the definite star of the show on that cruise (much as Brian was on this one). Our postings from the ship will, of course, be limited to the capacity of the satellite uplink in those southern waters, so there may well be gaps. If so, I plan on writing up reports and saving them for later upload once we're back in line-of-sight of the network.

You're very welcome. I plan on filing at least some reports from the Rotterdam on my South America/Antarctica Cruise, however it will be RuthC who will be the definite star of the show on that cruise (much as Brian was on this one). Our postings from the ship will, of course, be limited to the capacity of the satellite uplink in those southern waters, so there may well be gaps. If so, I plan on writing up reports and saving them for later upload once we're back in line-of-sight of the network.

I will be very interested as well in your travelogue. I am working on my DW to look at taking this itinerary in 2009 and need all the ammo I can get to convince her. At least on this itinerary the A/C should not be a problem.

About A/C problems did it seem that they have been worked out on the Volendam?

Terry

I will be very interested as well in your travelogue. I am working on my DW to look at taking this itinerary in 2009 and need all the ammo I can get to convince her. At least on this itinerary the A/C should not be a problem.

:) Don't forget that you'll be beginning and ending your cruise in quite warm environments ... Rio in January can be very warm and sticky, ditto with BA, and Valparaíso can be hot as well. It will only be the extreme southern/polar latitudes that will be very cold. Packing for two environmental extremes is a real challenge.

About A/C problems did it seem that they have been worked out on the Volendam?

It might be more accurate to say that they are working on the AC problem. The main dining room, lower level, tended to be oppressively hot for men in jackets on many evenings and, while we asked several times about what could be done to bring the temperatures down, nothing was ever done. As for cabin temperatures, our cabin began way too hot with an AC that didn't blow anything -- much less chilled air -- out of the vent. They repaired the fan motor and from then-on the cabin was at least tolerable in the evenings. There were a few days, when the temps were particularly high and humid outside, that the cabin got a bit too warm, but it wasn't beyond my acceptable range (and I don't like being too hot).

Sadly, the Penthouse didn't have functioning AC for most if not all of the cruise. I suppose it was a mechanical issue beyond the ability of the engineering staff to fix, and that (hopefully) major repairs were effected once the ship got back to Ft. Lauderdale and parts were able to be brought aboard.

Also ... from what we were told some passengers apparently didn't understand how to work their AC. One couple kept putting their thermostat all the way to the top (full "red") thinking that meant they were putting it on "full power" for cooling. No ... all it did was bring the heaters on! No matter how many times it was explained to them how to operate the thermostat, they still continued to maladjust it and boil themselves (and, of course, they were very loud in complaining about it).

I know this doesn't help much, but that's about it. They are working on the problems ... that much is evident (engineers in white and blue jumpsuits and officers in brown uniforms can be seen out-and-about at all hours of the day and night, half-disappearing into ceiling panels and wall access hatches, working on the ships equipment. I have photos of some of this at work.

Glad everyone is home safe and sound. It's sure tough to come home from vacation!

That's a mouthful! :D

I'm sitting at my desk in the office looking at the pile in front of me as I type this ... ugh! I'm going to have to start sorting through and opening critical stuff when I finish posting this post, and I keep hoping for other reasons to procrastinate longer. But ... no. It's time to dive back in.

And my Dorcas is happy I'm home ... though she wasn't too happy about me wanting to go to sleep last night; she wanted me to stay up and play!

Welcome home, Greg:) ... thank you again for the wonderful travelogue.

Paul, thank you for posting. I think in an effort to give many passengers the benefit of the doubt, it was suggested that perhaps the TA did not send all the documentation. I know personally that often happens. My former TA told me point blank that he "tosses" all the extra "stuff" and that by doing so it cuts the cost of mailing the docs. I told him to bill me for the stupid postage and be done with it.

That's why he's my "former" TA. And I doubt he's the only one who does this. But whether the passengers got the Know Before You Go or not, ultimately each of us can do a quick check online to see what the dress code, if any, is.

My former TA told me point blank that he "tosses" all the extra "stuff" and that by doing so it cuts the cost of mailing the docs. I told him to bill me for the stupid postage and be done with it.

That's so crazy - I mean how much "extra" can that stuff cost???? We've gotten everything - and then some - for so long, I never would have guessed anyone doesn't until you mentioned it.

You would think a TA would want his clients to have all the information available...

I get neon colored papers with super large print advising me of certain things (like bring my passport or I'll be denied boarding and my TA won't be held responsible!) and think to myself, what person doesn't know this already????

I was thinking my TA could do without "killing any more trees", lol - but, now I'm thinking I'm sort of glad they give me too much information as opposed to none at all! :eek:

Hello everyone. We are back home safely. It was so good meeting everyone at the meet and greet and putting names and faces together. Thanks Adel, Greg, Brian, Scotty and Christopher for making the cruise a wonderful experience.

Just a brief note about our cabin 7007. AC did work, but it was not what one would call cool. Cabin would also tend to be humid. I'm not sure what happened to the matress in 7007, but it was the worst that we have ever slept on. If you have trouble with arthritis and heat and humidity, then you would be miserable with the high humidity and the heat in the hallways on deck 7. Goodies were once again cut back on quality and selection in the Neptune Lounge from last year.

That's so crazy - I mean how much "extra" can that stuff cost???? We've gotten everything - and then some - for so long, I never would have guessed anyone doesn't until you mentioned it.

Agreed. And I, for one, could do without the useless big, clunky, Mariner Button. But, then, that's just my opinion.

Hello everyone. We are back home safely. It was so good meeting everyone at the meet and greet and putting names and faces together. Thanks Adel, Greg, Brian, Scotty and Christopher for making the cruise a wonderful experience.

Oh, it was wonderful getting to meet you, your husband, and the rest of your family! What delightful people! I look forward to future cruises!

If you have trouble with arthritis and heat and humidity, then you would be miserable with the high humidity and the heat in the hallways on deck 7.

I will have to second this ... every time I passed through that deck in any proximity to the midships stairs/elevators, I was horrified at how uncomfortable it was. It's due to the Lido Deck being right above, with almost immediate access to the Lido Pool area, which was oppressively hot and humid in the Southern Caribbean/Panamanian environment.

Greg & Brian - Truly enjoyed your tales from the sea. Sure wish we had been there. Sounds like you had a fantastic, nutty, if a bit soggy voyage. So jealous that you got to have dinner with Security Chief Larry & his DW Susan! He's such a gentleman.

So.........Feb 12, 2009 on Noordam again? Sounds good to me, especially since we haven't been to most of those islands AND she'll make a stop at HMC, my happy place. I'll work on him. ;)

And Greg, we'll be seeing you & Christopher in Big D in a couple of weeks. :)

I'd love to do that cruise, too...wonderful itinerary on my favorite ship! The only thing holding me back is that will be the cruise that falls over President's Day vacation week here in the East Coast. Last year, there were hundreds of kids on the Noordam that week...I'm curious as to how many families with children will do it once the Noordam moves to FLL.

Just a brief note about our cabin 7007. AC did work, but it was not what one would call cool. Cabin would also tend to be humid. I'm not sure what happened to the matress in 7007, but it was the worst that we have ever slept on. If you have trouble with arthritis and heat and humidity, then you would be miserable with the high humidity and the heat in the hallways on deck 7. Goodies were once again cut back on quality and selection in the Neptune Lounge from last year.

Hi Sage,

Sorry to hear about your discomfort in your cabin. I wonder if it would have been possible to have the mattress replaced? Do they carry spares? I'd be very unhappy if our usually wonderful bedding was less than we know it should be.

What goodies were cut back in Neptune? What did they serve now vs in the past. We sailed Volendam twice within last two years and I can't remember now if they were any different on that ship than on the others. My mind is blank about them at the moment.

Welcome back.

Okay, bad speculation on my part. I apologize. :o

Absolutely accepted! :)

It seemed like he was constantly "on the go!" He's gonna need a cruise to recover from the cruise!!! He did seem like a very nice guy, though. I felt sorry for him, actually.

Yep, it was "constant" from what I could tell! And he's got a week on the Z booked for Dec. 1...just he & his wife! :D

Oh, I definitely agree that the "offending" pax were NOT specific only to the two groups. Based upon the numbers, there had to be quite a few who were not a part of either of those two groups.

Indeed. I'm sorry some of the group(s) didn't seem to know about the dress codes, but I can't imagine it was due to a lack of documentation! :eek: :)

It was GREAT having you with us, and you most certainly were fabulously dressed! I think the difference may well have been more along the lines of those who were either not frequent cruisers, or who had not cruised on HAL before, or who had not paid attention to the "KBYG" booklet ... or, indeed, who just didn't care. And, frankly, those factors can be true of ANYBODY, inside or outside a group.

Again, absolutely true, and thank you.

It was GREAT finally getting to meet you!

And you, as well, Greg...not to mention the whole "crew"!! ;)

Paul

rant "off"

You're very welcome. I plan on filing at least some reports from the Rotterdam on my South America/Antarctica Cruise, however it will be RuthC who will be the definite star of the show on that cruise (much as Brian was on this one).

Greg, Greg, Greg, how many times I gotta tell ya, tell 'em I'll be doing a report---though you don't know how good it will be compared to Brian's write-ups. Set the bar looow. :rolleyes: Real low.

Then it's easier to exceed expectations! :D

Yes, as of now I'm planning to do my customary daily reports. :)

Do you think anyone, in their final hour, is going to look back on their life and conclude, they had not spent enough time interpreting, articulating, defending and/or challenging a dress code, on a cruise ship?

Well, my friend.....

I can imagine a handful of regulars on this forum doing so. Those of the Vocal Minority, anyway.

The rest of us just DON'T CARE. :)

You would think a TA would want his clients to have all the information available...

I get neon colored papers with super large print advising me of certain things (like bring my passport or I'll be denied boarding and my TA won't be held responsible!) and think to myself, what person doesn't know this already????

I was thinking my TA could do without "killing any more trees", lol - but, now I'm thinking I'm sort of glad they give me too much information as opposed to none at all! :eek:

Laura, do you remember last year when I had this huge argument with my TA over this? I had been recommending this TA to so many people here and actually posted an apology.

I didn't get any neon notes:D , but I got a very nice package with both the KBYG and Shore Ex booklets.

When my docs arrived with the tabs, all the extras and the wonderful wallet, I was amazed at what he left out! Last year we got the docs & the baggage tags in a clear plastic envelope. I agree with Greg I can do without the buttons, maybe even the tabs, but the fact is HAL sent them for me so I want everything they sent.

This TA does a TON of internet business so I guess over all they do save some money, but as a result a lot of people don't get the info they should.

Greg, Greg, Greg, how many times I gotta tell ya, tell 'em I'll be doing a report---though you don't know how good it will be compared to Brian's write-ups. Set the bar looow. :rolleyes: Real low.

Then it's easier to exceed expectations! :D

Yes, as of now I'm planning to do my customary daily reports. :)

I'll only be able to read the first part of your live report In January, Ruth, since unfortunately:D I'll be on the Noordam while you're sailing about in February, but I'll catch up on it when I return. On the other hand, it might not be possible for me to stay off the boards for 10 days, so you never know.

I do have one question for those of you who post onboard. Do you write it up first on word and then copy and paste it to CC to save time and of course money?

I do have one question for those of you who post onboard. Do you write it up first on word and then copy and paste it to CC to save time and of course money?

Hi there-

Just bought a laptop for my cruise in a few weeks. It wasn't loaded with WORD, so I downloaded a nice FREE software program:

http://www.openoffice.org

(Although I won't be posting while aboard, I am going to type it out every night on Open Office Writer, then post when I return home)

Hope this free program might help a fellow cruiser. :)

Thanks Brian and Greg for your travel logs. I really enjoyed them. We were just through the Panama Canal last month on the msNOORDAM's Seattle to NY transition cruise. The VOLENDAM was about 20 minutes behind us at the locks. Reading your commentaries brought parts of the trip back. Your photos were great and I am looking forward to your additional ones being posted soon.

By the way, was Richard Dreyfuss just a regular passenger on the ship or did he make a guest appearance for the passengers?

Yes, absolutely. I use a Mac and I write up my posts and reviews in MS Word before posting them on the board. Or, at least, I try to do that. Sometimes, if it's a short post, I won't bother ... but if it's going to be long and detailed I try to write it out ahead of time. In the long run it saves a great deal of time and it always saves money, because one can draft off-line, and then get on and quickly post.

When I post live from aboard, I write it 'live and in living color' in the Internet Cafe with minutes ticking away. I'm a fast typist but still when I later read what I posted, I find too many typos. :o

Sometimes I'll jot down a reminder about something I want to mention but I rarely spend more than 15 minutes doing the post....depending upon how cooperative the satelite is on a given day.

I spoke with DH about the thread we had a few weeks ago when everyone gave me such good advice about a 'travel laptop' and he agreed I should go get one and he'd ask his neighbor, the computer genuises, to get it all set up for me. Sooo..... I think I will probably do that before we go to Maasdam. I don't want to travel with my 'good' laptop.

Archived