Hello from Volendam!

bepsf

... some of us here are always leary of those "lower number" posters. You just never know if they're here for real assistance or "undercover" or to push an agenda.

Martha

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!:eek: (This quote above has reaffirmed my suspicions about the HAL forum.)

I agree that the pictures posted by REVNEAL were in very poor taste and he had a considerable lack of judgement.

Cath66, you talk about classy? I see in no way that your post with the stereotypical description of southerners as living in trailers, having no teeth, jobs, friends, family or regular bathing as “Tongue and Cheek”. I am deeply offended by your remarks and as a proud southerner I am one who is sick and tired of stereotypical remarks like yours. These remarks are what prompted my personal comments back to you in my post, if I in any way offended you I am sorry.

As to the NCL cruise remarks yes they were a little harsh as to the uncouth remark, but having been on cruises on NCL and Carnival I saw too many people who in my opinion fit this description and that is one reason my wife and I no longer will cruise on these lines. We have enjoyed our past cruises on both HAL and Celebrity because over all they attract a higher class of passenger than NCL or Carnival.

We enjoy the formal nights on a cruise ship and we go on a HAL or Celebrity cruise with the expectations that a majority of the passengers feel the same way and will at least make some attempt to follow the required dress code for dining in the DR on formal nights. It’s not like this is the only dining venue on the ship. HAL offers the same menu as the dining room on the lido deck and on room service and if HAL passengers choose not to dress for the formal night that is perfectly OK, but stay out of the DR!!!

ekerr19: I was HARDLY beating up on RCrntr.......he seems okay to me and pretty darn honest. He's taking care of himself just fine here. And I'm satisfied with his response.

Egging this on doesn't help RCntr or me have a civil conversation at all. What is it you want?

Martha

Merely to point out that this has gotten far out of hand. Greg is a big boy, in fact - he claims he may get flamed for posting the pics along with his observations and he says, "that's okay". He can take of himself. I felt (and I could be wrong; if so - I apologize) you were trying to make RCrpntr feel bad and/or guilty for voicing HIS observations.

In my mind, I'm done with this whole topic. As John (Copper) points out, I would not have been pleased to have my picture taken for the purpose of ridicule - but it's done, so let's all let the guys finish this great travelogue and let us enjoy hearing about the rest of the trip. Rehashing the photos and Greg's occupation serves no purpose.

I'm glad the moderators are letting this thread run for a while.

It seems past time that some of the condiscending (sp), holier-than-thou attitudes be discussed here.

Perhaps the discussion will bring about a positive result. Hope so.

Frankly I don't understand the issue. The Rev posted photos of the dress code violators where the faces pf the perpetrators were blurred or obliterated so no one could be identified.

That's done on the local news every night on subjects like obesity, etc.

Why is everyone so upset about the photos, which are harmless, and not the slob in shorts, for example, who insisted on being in as many formal photos as he could? If he didn't want his photo taklen, that's one thing...but he made sure his photo was taken as often as possible.

This thread has really gone to a place it shouldn't have. If you have a problem with the pics from Revneal, voice your opinion & move on. There are alot of other people on this board who are really enjoying the review of their cruise. Please don't use this board as your soapbox. If you love cruising, as I do, enjoy your vacation, dress how you feel appropriate & comfortable, & don't let others' behaviors & opinions ruin what could be a great memory for you & the people you are traveling with.

Frankly I don't understand the issue. The Rev posted photos of the dress code violators where the faces pf the perpetrators were blurred or obliterated so no one could be identified.

You might want to look at those pics again, they're still there, Sow There

Somewhere along the way, Brian mentioned that Richard Dreyfuss was onboard. Perhaps some of his movies have served as a subliminal influence upon this thread:

Poseidon

Mr. Holland's Opus

Post Cards from the Edge

Whose Life is it Anyways

The Competition

Another Stakeout

Scenes from Everyday Life

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Nuts

Jaws

Let it Ride

At least one ( deer caught in the headlights) picture has been eliminated.

Another one is also missing - I'm glad it was removed (or that Greg asked it to be removed). The remaining photos do not seem quite as objectionable.

For a group of people who keep posting how horrifying the pictures are, why do you keep referring back to them and telling people to look? I don't get it.

I don't think anyone is being particularly nice about any of this. It was definitely not a good thing for Greg to post the pictures and he knew that when he did it. He was frustrated.

But one thing I have always done here on CC, and will always do, is support my friends right or wrong. So I support Greg, who in a moment of weakness and frustration, posted pictures he shouldn't have.

Harping on it ad nauseum doesn't do any good at all. Have none of you ever done something not too Christian that you're not so proud of?

I could care less how many posts anyone has. I am far more leary of some of us who have more posts, not less, because some think it gives them some sort of leeway or seniority.

Please let's stop. This was such a good thread. If we stop talking about it people won't keep going back pages to look!!!

Harping on it ad nauseum doesn't do any good at all. Have none of you ever done something not too Christian that you're not so proud of?
Right on, Heather! I can't help but recall the phrase, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

Can't we just move on past this and resume our regularly-scheduled program?

Ahoy!

What started out as an entertaining & informative 'Live Review' has certainly become a somewhat convoluted, dare I say, mean-spirited forum that leads no one anywhere. And so it goes I suppose. Miscalculations and mistakes are certainly part of my everyday life. The 'human condition' persists at least for moi...

To quote the infamous Rodney King; "Can't we all get along?"

Now back to more important stuff like CRUSING & CYBER CRUISE CHAT!

And thank you 'Seafarers' (Brian and the Rev thus far) for your great reviews!

Bon Voyage and Good Health to one and all!

Bob:)

That's done on the local news every night on subjects like obesity, etc.

Why is everyone so upset about the photos, which are harmless, and not the slob in shorts, for example, who insisted on being in as many formal photos as he could? If he didn't want his photo taklen, that's one thing...but he made sure his photo was taken as often as possible.

I completely agree. I saw nothing offensive in those pictures. It's also proof for those who call others *liars* for saying that people are dressing that way on formal night. It hasn't helped that some who were *offended* have gotten extremely more OFFENSIVE by discussing things not related to the issue at all. Please, please stop it and let those of us enjoying this cruise, albeit vicariously, get back to the posts that Brian and Rev. Neal are generously providing us with. Those with a personal ax to grind are not scoring points for themselves.

For a group of people who keep posting how horrifying the pictures are, why do you keep referring back to them and telling people to look? I don't get it.

I don't think anyone is being particularly nice about any of this. It was definitely not a good thing for Greg to post the pictures and he knew that when he did it. He was frustrated.

But one thing I have always done here on CC, and will always do, is support my friends right or wrong. So I support Greg, who in a moment of weakness and frustration, posted pictures he shouldn't have.

I could care less how many posts anyone has. I am far more leary of some of us who have more posts, not less, because some think it gives them some sort of leeway or seniority.

Please let's stop. This was such a good thread. If we stop talking about it people won't keep going back pages to look!!!

Thanks Heather,

I agree with you.

GN

In the pictures I saw the faces were not blurred or obliterated...Perhaps if they were there wouldn't have been as much controversy.

It's unfortunate the pictures were taken.

It's unfortunate the pictures were posted, anywhere.

It's unfortunate the pictures were posted to this thread, as it contains some of the best travel writing anywhere, anytime.

It's unfortunate that religion was brought into the mess.

And it's unfortunate, the irony, to attempt to sweep this under the carpet and scold those who were offended by some of these pictures.

An impulsive (?) attempt at humor, at the expense of others, is what highjacked this thread.

I've come late to this thread. I should be writing my own review of our recent Amsterdam cruise, but I've been spending too much time reading this, which started out as such a nice cruise review and has ended up with so many unkind statements. I hope we've heard the last of it and can get to the conclusions of this very nice sounding itinerary, on the Volendam. I think that's what most people reading this board like to hear about, the ships and the itineraries.

It's unfortunate the pictures were posted to this thread, as it contains some of the best travel writing anywhere, anytime.

And it's unfortunate, the irony, to attempt to sweep this under the carpet and scold those who were offended by some of these pictures.

An impulsive (?) attempt at humor, at the expense of others, is what highjacked this thread.

I couldn't have said it better Hammy. Thank you. :)

Thank you Hammy for hitting the nail on the head!

It seems apparent that these pictures were not taken incidentally; they were taken with the specific intention of showing what some yahoo thought was the "wrong" way to dress. Shari
This 'yahoo' is a friend of mine and has a BA, M.Div, and PhD and speaks 10 languages.

I, for one, am looking forward to hearing more from both Brian and Greg and the conclusion of their great (though purportedly soggy!) cruise. Keep up the great work, guys!

Same here, hammybee. ITA. I haven't enjoyed reading anything in a long while as I've enjoyed Brian and Greg's travelogue, and that's all but gotten lost in this thread.

Archived