Passenger Fuel Surcharge Announced...

prescottbob

I got it today, as well!

I know exactly how it will effect our April and October cruise in 2008.

1. I will NOT buy as many photo's.....

2. I will NOT buy as many foo-foo drinks.....

3. I will NOT shop in the stores as much.....

4. I will NOT play as much bingo and...

5. I will NOT extra tip!!!!!

Any more NOT'S that you can add to this?

I am NOT going to penalize HAL for something that they have no control over.

They aren't a non-profit organization. It's not just HAL...the increased costs are buried in everything we purchase. And I certainly wouldn't penalize the service staff for this. Would you do that in a restaurant or hotel?

Seems like a reasonable amount given fuel price increases, greenback devaluation against world currencies and continuing price competition. But lets hope it diminishes or is eliminated if crude prices soften.

Why don't they use the interest they make from my cruise deposit and final payment to pay for the fuel... .

It's possible that HAL contracts with an oil company a year or more in advance and uses this money to lock in those prices (or they could be even higher). We had to do that with steel a couple of years ago because if we waited, we would have been paying even more than the rate we locked in. You must not own your own business. We do. It's always something. And as much as we want to be fair to our customers, you have to pass along some of the cost increases.

With all the people that will be lined up on the last day of the cruise to have their tips removed,now they'll be inundated with even more people trying to get the fuel surcharge removed. The good news is the lobby will be full,and I"ll have the whole ship to myself.

Let's take up a collection for the poor people that work at the desk.

They deserve it.:)

Ahoy!

I just figure the extra ten bucks/day/ couple isn't really that big a deal. Just the cost of doing business. I suppose we could each order one less cocktail/day to make up the savings but hey, I'm on vacation!

For those getting so upset I would recommend stepping outside for some fresh air. You'll feel better.

And as Walter Cronkite used to end his nightly news broadcasts, " And that's the way it is...".

Not to worry. Your next cruise is going to be a GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

P.S. Please, if you can or find it in your heart, don't hold back TIPs for those deserving (they have nothing to do with it). Life's too short...

My big problem with this is that this - like flat taxes - is basically regressive. If you're a wealthy person shelling out $500pp a day for a suite, you're looking at an insignificant 1% surcharge. If, like me, you have a fairly low income and seek out bargains that you can afford, it's like the $54 a night fare on my upcoming cruise just went up by nearly 10%. IMO, the surcharge should be quadrupled on those who drive Hummers to the port, but that's just me...

Most of these cruise lines purchase fuel off the futures market to try and get the best buys so they can plan on some kind of a consistant price.

We would rather have a fuel surcharge than a price increase. Eather way we just bend over and hope there is not a lot of sand in the lubricating jelly

Jim (without Ruth)

This really offends me and will change my future bookings.

• How does Carnival Corp know what the price of fuel will be in February of next year?
  • If the price of fuel goes down will the surcharge go down, or will we be able to expect a refund if it is lower than we booked?

The price of fuel is surely higher than what the cruise lines projected a year or so ago. Did any of us think oil will be this expensive now?

I got it today, as well!

Item # 5 .... I will not extra tip..... I would hope this sanction does not catch on. Some people work extra hard and there is no relationship between fuel prices and an individuals extra effort to make your vacation enjoyable... .....

While I'm not thrilled to pay extra (although, currently I am only booked for a 1/5 cruise and not affected) I sure do understand it! Fuel surcharges are all over, under many guises. The airport I fly from in NJ now charges for every bag you check; and my little nickle and dime lawn guy added a $10.00 surcharge to my whopping (tongue in cheek) $80.00 a month charge for doing my lawn. I certainly understand how operating a huge ship through the great oceans of the world might cost a bit more now than it did a year or two ago! I doubt very much that an additional $70.00 over 11 days will change my spending or enjoyment, but it might keep the future overall cost of cruising to a manageable level.

I got it today, as well!

Why? Are the stewards who you previously extra tipped getting a slice of the fuel surcharge? Or do you think they won't perform as well due to the fuel surcharge?

/s/ Curious

While I'm not thrilled to pay extra (although, currently I am only booked for a 1/5 cruise and not affected) I sure do understand it! Fuel surcharges are all over, under many guises. The airport I fly from in NJ now charges for every bag you check; and my little nickle and dime lawn guy added a $10.00 surcharge to my whopping (tongue in cheek) $80.00 a month charge for doing my lawn. I certainly understand how operating a huge ship through the great oceans of the world might cost a bit more now than it did a year or two ago! I doubt very much that an additional $70.00 over 11 days will change my spending or enjoyment, but it might keep the future overall cost of cruising to a manageable level.

My barber (aka hair stylist) increased his price by $1.00 due to the "cost of gas". The gas that heated his shop and the gas he used to commute to work.

I checked my Booking Details on the HAL website today for our 4/22/08, 19 day Circle Hawaii cruise. The Cruise Fuel Surcharge is listed after the Administration Fees. $70.00 each for the two of us. Oh well, at least it was offset a little bit by the decrease in administration fees for this cruise.

Matt

Did you originally book your cruise with HAL, or use a TA? I can't find my info on HAL, but I booked with a TA, so maybe it's not available.

Filled up my car today for $3.14 per gal at Hess..Another station up the street was $3.18 per gal...:( Of course could have gone over the Bridge to "Sam's" & paid less, but the Bridge toll is $2.00 R.T.;) No savings there.. LOL

Everything is going up except Social Sec. & Pensions..:(

Happy cruising everyone..:) Betty

Yes, but how many segments is your 66 day cruise broken up into. Multiply the fuel surcharge for each segment of your cruise and not just one surcharge for the entire 66 day cruise.

What do you think. The way they handle tips and your sea pass account is on a cruise segment basis and not on a single 66 day cruise basis.

Sorry for this bit of good news.:D

I just received an invoice from HAL for 64 days. The fuel surcharge is $70 per person. This sailing is available in two segments.

Hi, Sea Island Lady:

In the press release which Prescott Bob has kindly brought to our attention, it does say that the fuel supplement will not exceed $70 per person per voyage. This is a relief to me, as I'm planning a 66-day cruise.........:eek:

Karin

....cruises that exceed 7 days..........will have oars issued to the passengers..........:D

Everything is going up except Social Sec. & Pensions..:(
Sure, we get a 2.2% SS COLA this year. Of course last year it was 3.4%, and the year before that 4.0%, but 2.2% is better than nothing I guess. My DW gets a small annual increase in her Board of Education pension too.

The surcharge is penalizing those who cruise 14 days or less and rewards those who cruise longer.

If I take a 7 day cruise in the spring I pay $35 and ditto for another 7 day cruise in the fall totalling $70.. or on a 14 day cruise I also pay - $5 x 14 = $70.

Another person however, takes a 19 day cruise & pays the same $70 that I did for 5 days less, while the ship, to cruise those extra 5 days, also uses 5 days more fuel. Leaves a shortfall of 5 days x $5 totalling $25.

I suggest that the shorter cruise pax are subsidizing the longer cruise pax, by paying $5 per day of which perhaps $1 or so goes to the extra cost of fuel for the longer cruises.

Who else is paying for the extra fuel used, the cruiseline isn't...??

Although I wld not even consider cutting my tips (this has nothing to do with the service), I shall cut my spending on the cruise to compensate....

I wld pay a fuel surcharge willingly because it is warranted but this is 'blatant subsiding' and I for one, object!!!!...

I don't like it added as a surcharge. Everyone already gets confused with fees and taxes.

I think the cruiseline would be wise to just add it into new fares. I mean the fuel was already included in the fare, if that cost goes up then the fare should go up.

It penalizes the early bookers.

It will be shock to those who don't get the surcharge quoted to them in the cruise booking process.

I personally think most of us who think it is ok are fans of cruising and will go along with it. but if you are a newbie, I don't think you will understand it. Newbies probably will look at it as another example of nickle and diming. And I think they will adjust the tips downward. Cruises already have a bad reputation with some because they don't include things in the price and just adding one more is not a good thing. Just my opinion.

Did anyone notice that the fee is only for the 1st and 2nd passengers, others in the cabin do not pay a surcharge.

FYI On my cheapy, 5 day cruise from a home port, the surcharge will add 8% per day to the cruise.

Also anyone noticed if the cruiselines are doing anything to change itineraries to use less fuel? charging more for intineraries that do use more fuel?

It seems that the corporate bean counters are using the fuel surcharge to balance out some aspects of the bottom line that they feel are out of kilter. They have had to lower prices overall to as low as $100 pp/day to compete in mass-market short cruises. So for these people, the fuel surcharge is about 5% of their basic fare. They make much more money in general out of people in suites who cruise for longer times, so the cruise surcharge is only about 1 to 2% for these people, even though it surely must cost more fuel to haul around a deluxe suite and it's additional crew needed for service than a small cabin on main deck.

The same reasoning applies, albeit less strongly, to the autotip which is $10/day for everybody even though suite pax get more service per person.

Since the cruise contract allows them to do what they want here, they have taken advantage, "fair" or not. The only problem for them might be filling cabins on cruises on 2009 and later if people feel unhappy about the way the surcharge has been enacted, and if they feel that land-based vacations, not as dependent on fuel, are becoming a better buy.

So far, we are OK, out next cruise leaves on Jan 27th :D

The price of fuel is surely higher than what the cruise lines projected a year or so ago. Did any of us think oil will be this expensive now?

This morning I saw a report on the news that we should expect $4 a gallon gas in the US by this summer. Anfd those of you in the NE are going to have the highest heating oil prices ever and diesel fuel will be over $4 a gallon by spring. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

We have had fuel surcharges in Garbage collection and on all shipping costs in my business for several years so I am not surprised by this from the cruise industry.

The cruise lines have already published their fares for next year and booked many many cabins at those fares, so raising the fares at this time would not work and a surcharge is the more practical way to pass on the cost to all of us.

The surcharge is penalizing those who cruise 14 days or less and rewards those who cruise longer.

This is one way of looking at it.

Another way is to look at the per person/per day cost. Usually, not always, the per day cost for longer sails, is substantially greater than the per person, per day cost of a hyper-competitive 7 day Caribbean/Mexico sailing.

Repositioning cruises are the most common exceptions. And of course, those buying closest to sail date who are not too particular about cabin often get the best value.

Archived