NCL Service Charge - Can this be changed? waved?

MakinMemries

I believe its best to do as the old proverb when in Rome do as the Romans do.

In Europe many countriies have value added taxes. In the advertisments stores include the VAT into the sales price Most of the VATs are over 15 percent and are the same throughout the country.

In America every state has a different sales tax, many breaking this tax into cities. Say its 8.5 percent in Dallas, 8.25 percent in Granbury, and 8.0 percent in Glen Rose. In America products are advertised with the shlelf price, not including sales tax. Its almost impossible to add the sales tax into the advertisments because of different state and city sales tax rates, even in the same county.

And, sorry, you will have to help me here... this is related to the tip issue in what way?

I guess you cannot read text in content? Did you read the sentence do as the Romans do?

I can read as well as the next person, thank you.

Did you read the sentence do as the Romans do?

Not only are our tipping policies different, so are our taxes.

And so are our cars, and our fashions, and our restaurants, and our churches, and our whatever.... still do not see what your comment had to do with tipping or not...

If USA didnt tip, the cost of things would be more money. I think it all evens out in the end. Yes, Europe does not tip like we do but many things cost a lot more money there. Thats why when my relatives come here to visit from Italy, Germany & France they all go crazy shopping here. Especially the sneakers and jeans. I went to several restaurants in Europe and the prices were much higher than here, so I guess Id rather tip (at least its my choice)!

If USA didnt tip, the cost of things would be more money. I think it all evens out in the end. Yes, Europe does not tip like we do but many things cost a lot more money there. Thats why when my relatives come here to visit from Italy, Germany & France they all go crazy shopping here. Especially the sneakers and jeans. I went to several restaurants in Europe and the prices were much higher than here, so I guess Id rather tip (at least its my choice)!

Someone with common sense..... I think your point can deffinatly be applied to direct service industries such as hospitality.

What ever next, a reasoned argument?

Wilba, we've already covered this topic ad nauseum as it relates to cruising. Why would you want to come to a cruising board to discuss what you perceive to be a society's ills? Please take it to a political board instead. This isn't the place.

Sorry Becky but where Politics come into this is beyond me.

You all seemed to have missed the point I was making.

There have been recent posts on the NCL where posters have asked about removing the autotips, of which they are perfectly entitled to do, & have been lambasted by a large number of people. Terms like Cheapskate & If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to cruise are in my view unacceptable.

I merely have come out in defense of those people & if by attacking your customs & culture, it has only been to make a point.

I used to travel in the Britain a lot (my favorite area, but I've started cruising in my old age), and I remember one particular day trip I took to Bath out of London. It was not a good tour at all--basically just a bus ride there with no commentary or discussion. But the point I want to make is that the tour guide instructed us that it was more or less expected that we would tip her 10 percent of the cost of the day trip and also tip the bus driver 10 percent. For me at that time, that was a lot of money. I always tip tour guides, but for a "nontipping" country, I thought this was, as they say, "cheeky.":)

I believe its best to do as the old proverb when in Rome do as the Romans do.

In Europe many countriies have value added taxes. In the advertisments stores include the VAT into the sales price Most of the VATs are over 15 percent and are the same throughout the country.

In America every state has a different sales tax, many breaking this tax into cities. Say its 8.5 percent in Dallas, 8.25 percent in Granbury, and 8.0 percent in Glen Rose. In America products are advertised with the shlelf price, not including sales tax. Its almost impossible to add the sales tax into the advertisments because of different state and city sales tax rates, even in the same county.

Don it is not very often I agree with you but, " when in Rome do as the Romans do " It is good manners and cuts out any ill will between cultures.

This is off topic a bit, but the mental image of it makes me laugh every time it comes to mind.

We were in the Czech Republic. We had done our homework about tipping, etc. The guidebook we read said something to the effect that waiters would feel insulted if we left a tip of any substantial amount. It was suggested that we leave a few small coins – not to exceed 5 percent of the total bill.

Well, we had only that one day there, and we did not have time to familiarize ourselves with the currency. We wanted to do the right thing. We left what we thought was about 5 percent and walked out. Some traveling companions were sitting at the next table and realized that we had left not 5 percent but 50 percent. Just as they noticed this, the waiter swooped in and VERY HAPPILY grabbed up those coins. Our friends said he was far from insulted!! So I guess you can’t always go by the guide books.

I must be too tired tonight, but you say in the UK you tip - taxi drivers, hairdressers, porters, bell hops, and in restaurants. And some restaurants have a service charge.

So my question is, how is this different than the US?

I must be too tired tonight, but you say in the UK you tip - taxi drivers, hairdressers, porters, bell hops, and in restaurants. And some restaurants have a service charge.

So my question is, how is this different than the US?

I asked the same thing, and OP didn't seem to understand my point.

Sorry Becky but where Politics come into this is beyond me.

You all seemed to have missed the point I was making.

There have been recent posts on the NCL where posters have asked about removing the autotips, of which they are perfectly entitled to do, & have been lambasted by a large number of people. Terms like Cheapskate & If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to cruise are in my view unacceptable.

I merely have come out in defense of those people & if by attacking your customs & culture, it has only been to make a point.

Wilba, what boggles my mind is that you seem to have missed the point, time after time, as evidenced by the preponderance of responses to your posts. As much as it amazes me to do so, I have to be another to say I agree with Don -- "When in Rome." If you don't like the way it is here in the U.S. and on U.S.-based cruiselines-- and no amount of your arguments, logic, or whatever you wish to call it will change it -- then you need to find other cruiselines. Your stubborn tenacity in posting your opinions, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, indicates you won't be happy with the way we do things in the U.S. So, by all means, take your business elsewhere. Please.

In Europe they slap a 15% service charge automatically on your restaurant bill and you get horrible service.

In the States they wear a smile before tipping time, call you Sir after every sentence and after you have tip you gat a thank you and perhaps a Have a nice day and then disappear right after that.

In Asia there is no tipping. I remember I took a taxi in Toyko and the fare came to the equivalent of $49.50 and the driver handed back the change of 50 cents to me. But the taxi fare is very high and the drivers wear white gloves and consider themselves as professionals.

The OP has some very helpful information, for anyone going to Europe, who wants to be familiar with the customs.

Travelers should adapt to the local customs, I believe. Europeans (or anyone else) traveling on a mostly American cruise line (that is to say, mostly marketed to Americans) should follow the customs set by the cruise line. Travelers should not adhere to the customs they are comfortable with at home.

You know the saying.. when in Rome... It's all part of traveling!

There is something depressing about the comparison of the two threads. This one is about how to reduce tips and has had over 4,000 views. The other (that I started) called "The NCL TIP Form at Reception" on how to give extra tips has had 500 views.

Might I provide a suggestion for those who are not trying to ignore tipping, but just want to punish those who provide poor service? Decide before you leave home what the amount you would give to the phenomenal server. Then, when you find you have been stuck with a really bad one, you do this:

Fill out the TIP form in advance for the amount you pre-determined was fair. Leave the recipient blank. And then for crummy service you select "add to crew fund." You take the portion of the form that is for recipient and add to it a note "If you had not been such a poor service provider, this would been your personal tip."

By doing this you have accomplished a few things. 1- You have shown your integrity and personal generosity and sense of fair play. 2- You have given an immediate sense of loss to the offender. 3- You have eliminated all their excuses on how you would never have given a fair tip ' no matter how hard they tried.' 4- You have rewarded those who have been picking up the slack for the less than hard working employees. 5- You have helped make all employees harder working for the rest of us.

Personally - I love tipping. It is the ultimate effort=reward balance.... IF what is fair is determined in advance. For the rest- sounds like they are really just stingy and making excuses.

Wait Staff in a restaurant........... 10%

Yes, if we go back in time Wait Staff tended to be part time/casual employment where tips were the bulk of their wage packet. This I suspect is no longer the case as the need for more professionalism is required.

Some Restaurants are now adding 10% Service Charge to their final bill & where this is the case, people do not normally tip beyond this charge. It’s also worth noting that the Service Charge has no legal standing in law & can be removed by the customer at will, although this would be a rare occurrence

I would just like to point out that i used to wait tables, which im sure others on the boards used to or currently do as well. Your statement here i have quoted while is true in some places, the majority of places in America at least the waitstaff still RELY on tips. They are making $2.63 and hour, thats it.

Also, just want to point out, if its bad service, i can understand the 10%, but if you got normal to great service and you tip only 10%, i would not return to the places that you have already eaten at. Thats honest to goodness being cheap and is not the standard here in America at least.

I would'nt piss off people who serve you food, ever seen the movie "Waiting". Watch it, youll understand...

Happy Cruising all.....

Greetings everyone,

We've sailed on Princess and Carnival.

Can someone tell me if the Service Charge is mandatory? Meaning - I realize that tipping is optional in addition to the service charge.... but I prefer doing all this sort of thing on my own and in person.

Do I have the right on NCL to ask to have the service charges removed from my account?

I'd like to hear of the experience of others. Princess and Carnival allow me to have the entire amount removed.

My wife and I cruised to Canada and New England aboard the Spirit (October 28 to November3 2007). We left the service charge in place but gave extra $$$ on our own to our Cabin Attendants. Even if they had to give it into the pool, they knew we appreciated their service.:)

I would just like to point out that i used to wait tables, which im sure others on the boards used to or currently do as well. Your statement here i have quoted while is true in some places, the majority of places in America at least the waitstaff still RELY on tips. They are making $2.63 and hour, thats it.

Exactly my point, You pay people a pittance & expect every one else to fill their wage packet.

Yes like you 'When in Rome' I do follow the rules, but do not necessarily agree with them.

Yes the evidence is overwhelming Becky only by the fact that the majority of posters are from the US. Simple numbers.

The responses are about what I expected overall, so no surprises there, & once again no one responded to the original point I was making.

The post was in response to the way people are treated, almost abused, each time a question about tipping, service charge, &/or the removal of part or all of that charge. The post was not about me, not about the way we tip, not about my views on tipping, It is about the way you respond to people who 'Dare' to ask these questions.

Whether you like it or not people do have right to alter/remove/change the tips as they see fit. Whether you agree with it is a different matter, but that does not give you the right to attack them like a pack of vultures, as I've witnessed on too many occasions, & then start begging & pleading to them Never to Alter the Tips, just to make them feel more uncomfortable. OK! maybe I did go over the top with some of my comments, but that was to grab your attention. Unfortunately as with most of these posts the point was missed & everyone charges off in different directions.

I look forward to your responses, but Please try & stick to the point in question.

They are making $2.63 and hour, thats it.

Exactly my point, You pay people a pittance & expect every one else to fill their wage packet. (end quote)

Yes, that is a very small amount as you say pittance. However, if they were paid more, than the cost of the meal or whatever would be much higher in order to cover the overhead. Therefore, we pay less and pay in the end with tipping. This way you get better service because they want their tip. If there were no tipping, do you think they would work as hard to satisfy the customer? :D

Exactly my point, You pay people a pittance & expect every one else to fill their wage packet.

Yes like you 'When in Rome' I do follow the rules, but do not necessarily agree with them.

Yes the evidence is overwhelming Becky only by the fact that the majority of posters are from the US. Simple numbers.

The responses are about what I expected overall, so no surprises there, & once again no one responded to the original point I was making.

The post was in response to the way people are treated, almost abused, each time a question about tipping, service charge, &/or the removal of part or all of that charge. The post was not about me, not about the way we tip, not about my views on tipping, It is about the way you respond to people who 'Dare' to ask these questions.

Whether you like it or not people do have right to alter/remove/change the tips as they see fit. Whether you agree with it is a different matter, but that does not give you the right to attack them like a pack of vultures, as I've witnessed on too many occasions, & then start begging & pleading to them Never to Alter the Tips, just to make them feel more uncomfortable. OK! maybe I did go over the top with some of my comments, but that was to grab your attention. Unfortunately as with most of these posts the point was missed & everyone charges off in different directions.

I look forward to your responses, but Please try & stick to the point in question.

As you said, "that is exactly my point"! That is not a question. You are saying that is your point but then you say you are asking a question. You opened this thread with all your critic about tipping and when you get a response you don't like you say we are not answering your question?? You really never asked a question. You made a lot of statements and people are just giving statements back. Why is it that you feel you can voice you opinion and assume others can not. Enough said, people will tip as they want and if they don't like the auto tipping they should use another cruiseline or don't cruise at all. And NCL does NOT hide these charges as you stated. Its as plain as day

Ok, this is just my opinion. I'm English, live in the UK 6 months a year and work in the States 6 months a year. Personally, i tip in the UK for good service, when in the States, i tip regardless because i know it's part of the culture and it makes up the wages.

The cost of living is a lot higher in the UK, a gallon of petrol (gas) is over $10 here, a pack of cigarettes, again, over $10, the average wage is higher to help compensate for this. The British go to the States for vacations, always have, always will but right now they have never had it so good, the increasingly weak dollar makes going to the States even more appealing as we are getting more for our money. So it is a bit annoying when i see people (Brits) asking for their service charge, auto gratuity, tip, whatever you want to call it to be refunded. NCL has the $10 per day per person auto gratuity in place for several reasons. 1) It makes it more convienient for the guest in that they dont have to go round tipping individually. 2) Crew members who are not front of house and dealing directly with the passengers are part of the tipping pool so benefit financially from providing a good service. 3) It helps to subsidise the lower wages paid in the industry.

Before all the Brits jump down my throat, on a recent cruise where approximately 35% of the passengers were Brits, virtually all of them got their auto gratuity back totalling over $30,000 refunded. Their excuses were on the whole laughable, one day the restaraunt AC was too cold, they didn't get towel animals every day, they couldn't find a seat quick enough in the garden cafe one day, their travel agent never told them about the auto gratuity, the list goes on. Basically they saw a way of saving a few bucks and took it. Virtually none of the excuses were for bad service so really not valid but they were still refunded.

The British in the past did not complain, just got on with it, stiff upper lip and all that but then, as is always the case, we started to follow the American lead and complaining (along with suing anyone and everyone) has been embraced wholeheartedly especially if we can see a financial gain from it.

In my opinion, NCL should make it more difficult to get the auto gratutiy refunded and anything that isn't deemed a valid complaint should be rejected but then quite often, it's just easier just to give the whinging whining sods their money back.:D

Ok, this is just my opinion. I'm English, live in the UK 6 months a year and work in the States 6 months a year. Personally, i tip in the UK for good service, when in the States, i tip regardless because i know it's part of the culture and it makes up the wages.

The cost of living is a lot higher in the UK, a gallon of petrol (gas) is over $10 here, a pack of cigarettes, again, over $10, the average wage is higher to help compensate for this. The British go to the States for vacations, always have, always will but right now they have never had it so good, the increasingly weak dollar makes going to the States even more appealing as we are getting more for our money. So it is a bit annoying when i see people (Brits) asking for their service charge, auto gratuity, tip, whatever you want to call it to be refunded. NCL has the $10 per day per person auto gratuity in place for several reasons. 1) It makes it more convienient for the guest in that they dont have to go round tipping individually. 2) Crew members who are not front of house and dealing directly with the passengers are part of the tipping pool so benefit financially from providing a good service. 3) It helps to subsidise the lower wages paid in the industry.

Before all the Brits jump down my throat, on a recent cruise where approximately 35% of the passengers were Brits, virtually all of them got their auto gratuity back totalling over $30,000 refunded. Their excuses were on the whole laughable, one day the restaraunt AC was too cold, they didn't get towel animals every day, they couldn't find a seat quick enough in the garden cafe one day, their travel agent never told them about the auto gratuity, the list goes on. Basically they saw a way of saving a few bucks and took it. Virtually none of the excuses were for bad service so really not valid but they were still refunded.

The British in the past did not complain, just got on with it, stiff upper lip and all that but then, as is always the case, we started to follow the American lead and complaining (along with suing anyone and everyone) has been embraced wholeheartedly especially if we can see a financial gain from it.

In my opinion, NCL should make it more difficult to get the auto gratutiy refunded and anything that isn't deemed a valid complaint should be rejected but then quite often, it's just easier just to give the whinging whining sods their money back.:D

I totally agree Chris

I am appalled at people who would remove the auto gratuity for those reasons.

I also tip in the UK for good service (well anything above OK!). I wouldn't have a problem not tipping in the US if the service was bad , but as someone who has been to different parts of the US on several occasions I have found that a very rare experience. I do find service on the whole a lot better in the US than the UK. I wouldn't however feel obliged to tip very much, if at all, if the service was genuinely poor in the US or in the UK for that matter

Archived