Princess Patter Warning regarding Mexico

premiumrican

I was going over the Patter's for the Golden Princess, they have this warning about drinking alcoholic beverages. Supposely the drinks are spiked. I never heard of this.

I have attached the warning

Yes, I noticed this in the patter...very scarey.

This warning is put in the patters for almost every port we have ever visited. It isn't just for Mexico. It just reminds passengers that since they are in another country, you never know how strong the drinks might be as they don't want passengers getting drunk and passing out onshore. lol

It honestly is no big deal if you just use common sense. Although I have seen passengers leave their common sense at home in the past, it is always the first thing you should pack.................common sense!

This warning is put in the patters for almost every port we have ever visited. It isn't just for Mexico. It just reminds passengers that since they are in another country, you never know how strong the drinks might be as they don't want passengers getting drunk and passing out onshore. lol

It honestly is no big deal if you just use common sense. Although I have seen passengers leave their common sense at home in the past, it is always the first thing you should pack.................common sense!

As I wholeheartly agree with you sometimes passengers do not even have to leave the ship to get drunk, & pass out.

This warning is put in the patters for almost every port we have ever visited. It isn't just for Mexico.

Yeah, we noticed last year they added this to the Caribbean ports, and most recently, to the ports on our French Polynesian and Hawaiian cruise.

Just a general precautionary note.

Don't worry, be happy! :D

I also saw this on the HAL boards a while ago:

RUTH:

Had a Margarita in Mexico that was laced with Antifreeze.

After home 3 days Ruth started to get confused and disorientated took her the ER where she worked and was admittted to hospital with renal failure. A doctor who worked in Texas recognized the problem and asked if we had been to Mexice recently. Taold him we just came back from cruise. He said this is a common problem as when Tequila does not have enough alcohol content they will lace it with antifreeze. They call it ethylglicol poisening.

He said it is one of those dirty little secrets about Mexico.

Ruth spent 7 days in hospital, 5 days in Intensive Care and almost had to go n dialysis. SHe is fully recovered without any residual effects.

She no longer drinks Margaritas after consuming a Margarity that eventually cost us $60,000.00

Ruth & Jim

From http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=637388&page=2

Post #26

OMG:eek: And here I was planning on savouring my first Mexican Margarita in December!!! I don't do beer...guess it will be wine for me!!

Just go to a reputable establishment. This practice is common in places where you pay a fee for the whole day and you get unlimited drinks and food. In those cases, I would recommend drinking beer.

Just go to a reputable establishment. This practice is common in places where you pay a fee for the whole day and you get unlimited drinks and food. In those cases, I would recommend drinking beer.

I wonder what Senor Frogs and Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel use, People just tend to loose their inhibitions after one drink there. LOL

What is not clear about this "spiked" liquor is it put there on purpose to make you black out or is it as the other poster mentioned a way to stretch the liquor.

I wonder what Senor Frogs and Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel use, People just tend to loose their inhibitions after one drink there. LOL

What is not clear about this "spiked" liquor is it put there on purpose to make you black out or is it as the other poster mentioned a way to stretch the liquor.

Probably to get people drunk faster at a cheaper rate; therefore, less consumption throught the duration of the stay.

I don't think that the warning is saying they are "spiked" as in they are filled with drugs or such that you wouldn't get in the US.

I just think that the tequilla is stronger in Mexico and can really pack a wallop!

I am no stranger to alcohol :rolleyes: and I find the drinks are much stronger than what I'm used to. That tourist shops in Cozumel weren't the same after we went had a couple of cocktails. I have the credit card bill to prove it! :D

I don't think that the warning is saying they are "spiked" as in they are filled with drugs or such that you wouldn't get in the US.

I just think that the tequilla is stronger in Mexico and can really pack a wallop!

I am no stranger to alcohol :rolleyes: and I find the drinks are much stronger than what I'm used to. That tourist shops in Cozumel weren't the same after we went had a couple of cocktails. I have the credit card bill to prove it! :D

The warning clearly states it is a grain alcohol not a drug.

I just think that the tequilla is stronger in Mexico and can really pack a wallop! I am no stranger to alcohol :rolleyes: and I find the drinks are much stronger than what I'm used to. That tourist shops in Cozumel weren't the same after we went had a couple of cocktails. I have the credit card bill to prove it! :D

My understanding is that in Mexico they add mezcal to the margaritas. This, when added to the tequila, makes the margaritas very strong!! I know from personal experience at Senor Frogs in Mazatlan!! :eek: :eek:

True - the Princess warning states the concern is grain alcohol, not ethylene glycol..

We just disembarked the Golden on Saturday, and that warning was in the Patter for each sea day.

We only drank beer when in port and requested that it be uncapped at the table after it had been served. The waiters complied with no questions asked.

We did an excursion in PV and went to a ranch where blue agave cacti are raised and they make tequila there. We learned that tequila does not have a worm in the bottle, despite what some people say. If there is a worm in the bottle, the beverage is mescal, which is not made from the agave cactus.

My understanding is that in Mexico they add mezcal to the margaritas. This, when added to the tequila, makes the margaritas very strong!! I know from personal experience at Senor Frogs in Mazatlan!! :eek: :eek:

Mezcal and tequila are the same thing. The difference is that in order to be called tequila, it must come from the Tequila region of Jalisco, Mexico. The same difference between Champagne and sparkling wine, Scotch and whisky, Cognac and brandy, etc.

I've been going to Mexico for 37 years, drinking age the last 20. I have drank in the big name places, Senor Frogs, I have drank in ranshackle huts in the middle of nowhere. I have never ever had a problem. Granted though, in smaller places I do tend to drink beer from a bottle. This is because I am afraid of the ice, not the booze.

sue

I've been to Mexico over 20 times now and the only time I have gotten sick is from over indulging in the alcohol department.

But like any holiday make sure you keep your witts about you use some common sense.

Mezcal is a Mexican distilled spirit made from maguey plants and refers to all agave-based distilled liquors that are not tequila. Its fabrication and consumption are popularly associated with the Mexican State of Oaxaca, however, commercial and private production of mezcal is known over a wide area of central-south Mexico outside of tequila producing areas (Jalisco and Guanajuato states). The mezcal of Sonora is called bacanora in reference to the municipality where it is made; the mezcal of Chihuahua is called sotol in reference to the plant that is used there.

There are many different species of maguey plant, and each produces a different taste of mezcal. Tequila is a mezcal made from the blue agave plant in the town of Tequila and the surrounding region of Jalisco.

I've seen warnings like this since 2004 for Mexico. Hopefully, those that chose to inbibe in foreign countries are aware enough to watch their drinks carefully.

On the Diamond last March, the two 18 yr. old guys in the cabin next to us came back so schloshed from Puerto Vallarta that they were in huge trouble with the ship's head security officer. He gave them a very stern (and kind-of loud) lecture about how they shouldn't be drinking in Mexico because of the warning (that you linked above) and the fact that the ship's drinking age is 21.

True - the Princess warning states the concern is grain alcohol, not ethylene glycol..

We just disembarked the Golden on Saturday, and that warning was in the Patter for each sea day.

We only drank beer when in port and requested that it be uncapped at the table after it had been served. The waiters complied with no questions asked.

In my youth (the stoneage) I imbibed some downright good grain alcohol, aka moonshine, in both North Carolina and Mississippi.

We did a Copper Canyon Tour last year and had ritas every night(usually the first one was on the house from the tour company, if you wanted more they were usually $2) from the hotel bars or the cafes where we were eating, never saw or heard of any problems. They do make a good rita in Mexico, they use fresh limes not a mix. It comes down to another one of those (personal choice issues) Drink up, Buck

Archived