Vaccinations

HENKNM

I'm Getting Conflicting Information About Vaccinations. On One Hand I'm Told Nothing Is Needed. On The Other I'm Told Vaccinations For Hepatitis And Typhoid As Well As Booster Vaccinations As Needed For Polio, Diphtheria And Tetanus Are Needed For FP. Does Anyone Have Any Thoughts On This Subject?

Only wish that they had developed a French Polynesia Return Vaccine. We have been on the PG twice and find that it is hard to think about anything else other than our return to French Polynesia. It appears that everyone comes down with the dreaded virus on their first visit and there is no known cure other than to return over and over! It is not deadly but the treatment can be somewhat expensive. :)

Many seasoned travelers do get certain vacinnations. I would recommend contacting your doctor to go over your travel plans to determine if any vaccinations are needed. Your doctor is the right person to consult since your doctor knows your medical history and current situation.

Keith

Sorry, I missed the "FP" in your original posting--if it's just French Polynesia, I think you don't need anything. But as another poster implied, many of those basic vaccinations are ones that frequent travelers would be wise to get. It's always a good idea to have your Tetanus shot up to date, and if you've never had a polio booster as an adult, that's a good idea too. But not for FP specifically.

I agree with Mike about being vaccinated against the Polynesian Flu--once you go, you want to go back over and over again. We went first in 2000, and hope to make our fourth trip there next year.

I'd add at least Hep A if not Hep B to any routine shots as well just to be on the safe side. A flu shot wouldn't hurt either. It's the airports worldwide and airplane travel where you can pick anything up these days as you never know who was sitting beside you, what country they last were in and what they may be carrying. You can get Hep A even in your own country from food that may have been prepared by someone that has it......why take the chance when there are vaccinations out there. Polio was eradicated from North America but it's here again due to people bringing it into the country. Maybe it's just the Canadian way but we seem to be vaccinated for everything these days. I've never taken precautions yet for dengue fever other then use a mosquito repellant and trying to stay away from them. Tahiti did have an outbreak for dengue earlier this year as I remember reading about it on Tahiti Presse. A good website for info is the Centre for Disease Control and any local travel clinic can give advise as well as shots.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationFrenchPolynesia.aspx

Pat

Many seasoned travelers do get certain vacinnations. I would recommend contacting your doctor to go over your travel plans to determine if any vaccinations are needed. Your doctor is the right person to consult since your doctor knows your medical history and current situation.

Keith

:) Keith, I would add as a very,very seasoned traveler, that getting both shots to become immune to Hepititus-A is just good sense if you are going to do much traveling in South America, Africa, Asia and even Europe... Yellow fever needs to be kept up also. Personally I also maintain Polio and Diptheria...But as you say a persons own physician is the proper starting place...

AWED23, I agree with all that you say. The vaccinations that you mention all make sense. But, as we both say it's key to start with ones physician and that is because the physician needs to consider a variety of factors from what countries are being visited, whether the person is just staying near the port or going to the interior, their age, and their health situation. And, to me I alway tell people to confer with the expert who best knows their personal situation.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

My physician insisted I (and all adults) get the booster for Pertussis (whooping cough) anyway since there's an alarming increase in it. If you haven't had a tetanus booster within the last 8-10 years then you need that also. Same with polio and I agree Pat about the Flu shot. After all the last thing you'd want to come down with on a cruise to paradise is the flu. (I read a statistic that said that only 39% of those over 50 get a yearly flu shot even though it would save thousands of lives. This year there is plenty of vaccine to go around and the only reason not to get one is if you're allergic to it.) But as for requirements? There aren't any that I know of and I'm headed there in one week.

Doug, I'm in the same boat. I keep thinking I should get a Twinrix or something, but never get around to it. I get a flu shot for other reasons, and usually have an up-to-date tetanus shot (because I'm a klutz and tend to find myself in emergency rooms.) In the old days (1970) when I went backpacking in Europe, we had the whole deal before we went -- typhoid, cholera. Don't seem to need these nowadays.

Archived