A bit of an introduction...

*Mach*

Welcome Mach.... Appreciate your good humor and viewpoint . . . Thanks for the offer to assist. As a newbie, I am always searching for assistance;)

Ummm... perhaps you could help me!

I'm sure that you know more about Cunard than I do. Hopefully, I'll get up to speed in the coming weeks and actually be able to contribute rather than watching!

Thanks for the welcome!

Hi Mach,

Welcome to our Happy Family, i along with the "QE2" am an "Icon" on this board :eek:

Gav :cool:

Ahem. Don't forget your Sidekick! :rolleyes:

Hi Host Mach. Hope you enjoy your time here with us. We're not as bad as some of your Carnivalian friends say we are--we're just misunderstood.

It's interesting that you pick Queen Victoria, when you talk of Cunard representing history. I'd have thought that RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 might have been a little more representative of Cunard's history.

A real transatlantic liner, and like her predecessors, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabetn, she has the distinction of serving her country in times of war.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll soon learn that, of all ships at sea, RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 is unique. And RMS Queen Mary, also a true liner, has the makings of a great Cunarder - when she has the history to match.

I was interested to note your reactions to your new promotion from Carnival to Cunard as expressed to your fellow Carnival Cruise Line buddies. I'm sorry that we all insist on wearing shirts at dinner, and I trust that you'll learn the wisdom of dressing properly for dinner.

Just so that you're aware of the ground rules, black tie means black tie. Coloured bow ties are not permitted. Neither are ready tied bow ties, unless you have a dispensation from the requirements to wear a self tied tie. I issue those, and have issued only one to date.

The most important thing is to note that whilst we may bicker about the colour of ties, or (I understand one of your favourite threads) the current state of cummerbunds, we all agree on the necessity to dress properly.

In the meantime, can you do me a favour? I saw this Carnival ship in Cagliari, but I couldn't read the name....

MedSojourn012a.jpg

Matthew

Welcome Host Mach. Good to have you aboard. I sincerely hope that you are able and willing to cope with our unique brand of humour and thread drift. Not only do we perform thread drift, but also thread convergence, divergence, crossing, addition and many other things with threads hitherto thought impossible. On occasion, we even return to the topic. We also answer questions on Cunard (and other) cruiselines and try not to drift before post 10.

I'll do my best to be an asset rather than a hindrance.

One question: Why do you want to be a small donkey?

David

Hi Host Mach. Hope you enjoy your time here with us. We're not as bad as some of your Carnivalian friends say we are--we're just misunderstood.

I'm glad to be here.

Hopefully, this will be just as much fun for you wonderful folks as it is for me.

Thanks for the welcome, it truly is appreciated.

Sorry Sidekick !!!! :p

Welcome Host Mach (Is that the aeronautical term?). I cannot decide whether to feel baffled or flattered that it is considered the Cunard Board, which is surely a minority interest, with only three ships at best, requires two hosts. I hope you find the Cunard sections as much fun as I did when I first became aware of them. :) Jane

Just so that you're aware of the ground rules, black tie means black tie. Coloured bow ties are not permitted.

You forgot to mention the dispensation for "multi-coloured" ties:D

Neither are ready tied bow ties

They may not be permitted but this man will still wear one:eek: (It's either that or turn up with no tie at all;) and the special one is pre-tied)

The most important thing is to note that whilst we may bicker about the colour of ties, or (I understand one of your favourite threads) the current state of cummerbunds, we all agree on the necessity to dress properly.

I wonder if we could get some convergence here by discussing the use of a cummerbund around the neck in lieu of a tie:D

It's interesting that you pick Queen Victoria, when you talk of Cunard representing history. I'd have thought that RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 might have been a little more representative of Cunard's history.

A real transatlantic liner, and like her predecessors, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabetn, she has the distinction of serving her country in times of war.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll soon learn that, of all ships at sea, RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 is unique. And RMS Queen Mary, also a true liner, has the makings of a great Cunarder - when she has the history to match.

I was interested to note your reactions to your new promotion from Carnival to Cunard as expressed to your fellow Carnival Cruise Line buddies. I'm sorry that we all insist on wearing shirts at dinner, and I trust that you'll learn the wisdom of dressing properly for dinner.

Just so that you're aware of the ground rules, black tie means black tie. Coloured bow ties are not permitted. Neither are ready tied bow ties, unless you have a dispensation from the requirements to wear a self tied tie. I issue those, and have issued only one to date.

In the meantime, can you do me a favour? I saw this Carnival ship in Cagliari, but I couldn't read the name....

MedSojourn012a.jpg

Matthew

Matthew,

I elected to reference the Queen Victoria as she is the newest Cunard liner, muscular, powerful and yet voluptuous. Although, as I have freely admitted, I have a lot to learn but I am aware of the place of Cunard in history.

Regarding attire, I am one of those folks who enjoys dressing for dinner, at least meeting the requirements of the dress code that is applicable at the time. If you elect to do additional research on what I have posted you'll find that I've been very consistent in that position. I find the thought of folks wearing jeans to main dining sad. I did enjoy the cummerbunds thread. I thought it was quite unique although not exactly directly related to Cunard.

Thank you for the lovely picture of the vessel you believe to be a Carnival ship. I don't think it is but I may be mistaken. It's been known to happen in the past.

I am not here to become a Cunard expert although I certainly intend to spend time reading and researching the proud Cunard history. I'm here to perform an administrative function and hopefully make a few friend and have some fun in the process. I hope I might one day be able to count you among them.

Regards,

Mach

Dear Host Mach,

A very hearty welcome indeed to the Cunard board and all the truly wonderful people who post here.

I am only a sub-steerage class passenger (or "item of self-loading freight" as we often laughingly refer to each other among ourselves). Please don't believe everything you've heard about steerage class on Cunard Ships. The rowing duties really aren't that onerous and we even get fed (officially) on public holidays and alternate Saturdays during the colder months with an R in the name. Mr Matthew is also very kind to us and quite often sends his butler down with a lovely plate of table scraps for us. He's a real gent Mr Matthew - every bit as kindly a chap as his name suggests. Our dormitories are also really quite comfortable. It's only two to a bunk and one of the two's usually rowing part of the time, so quite often you have the whole bunk to yourself.

Anway, I'm sure you'll get the hang of this place quite soon.

All the best.

JC

Dear Host Mach,

A very hearty welcome indeed to the Cunard board and all the truly wonderful people who post here.

I am only a sub-steerage class passenger (or "item of self-loading freight" as we often laughingly refer to each other among ourselves). Please don't believe everything you've heard about steerage class on Cunard Ships. The rowing duties really aren't that onerous and we even get fed (officially) on public holidays and alternate Saturdays during the colder months with an R in the name. Mr Matthew is also very kind to us and quite often sends his butler down with a lovely plate of table scraps for us. He's a real gent Mr Matthew - every bit as kindly a chap as his name suggests. Our dormitories are also really quite comfortable. It's only two to a bunk and one of the two's usually rowing part of the time, so quite often you have the whole bunk to yourself.

Anway, I'm sure you'll get the hang of this place quite soon.

All the best.

JC

You didn't mention the Pol Acker we send down to keep you lubricated, or varnish the oars or whatever....:) Jane

I find the thought of folks wearing jeans to main dining sad. I did enjoy the cummerbunds thread. I thought it was quite unique although not exactly directly related to Cunard.

Regards,

Mach

Oh it is, Mr. Mach, it is. And then there's the self-tied black ties. It seems, and I could be missing someone, that Cunard is the only place that takes these sorts of sartorial issues seriously.

And I could be speaking inappropriately in absolutes, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they were wearing "dressy capris" to dine onboard Cunard. IOW, the dressing up is a big part of the fun, when we're not worrying about how to dislodge a tangle of zimmer frames from an overcrowded elevator. ;)

PS: And thank you for being nice enough to talk to us.

I elected to reference the Queen Victoria as she is the newest Cunard liner, muscular, powerful and yet voluptuous. Although, as I have freely admitted, I have a lot to learn but I am aware of the place of Cunard in history.

Queen Victoria is not a liner. I'm sorry to be picky about this, but it is an important distinction.

Regarding attire, I am one of those folks who enjoys dressing for dinner, at least meeting the requirements of the dress code that is applicable at the time. If you elect to do additional research on what I have posted you'll find that I've been very consistent in that position. I find the thought of folks wearing jeans to main dining sad. I did enjoy the cummerbunds thread. I thought it was quite unique although not exactly directly related to Cunard.

I haven't looked at your posts, other than in the thread to which I referred. You'll find a large number on this board who feel that jeans should not be seen on a Cunarder at all. Not just not at dinner.

Whilst I'm glad to hear that you're in favour of meeting the dress code, again we're a bit different here. We see the dress code as a minimum. In that sense I'm not sure the cummerbund thread was actually off topic.

Thank you for the lovely picture of the vessel you believe to be a Carnival ship. I don't think it is but I may be mistaken. It's been known to happen in the past.

Nicely parried!

I am not here to become a Cunard expert although I certainly intend to spend time reading and researching the proud Cunard history. I'm here to perform an administrative function and hopefully make a few friend and have some fun in the process. I hope I might one day be able to count you among them.

I'm not seeking confrontation, believe me. But I did find the fact that you discussed your Cunard Host appointment on Carnival before Cunard to be.... well, shall we say "unexpected"? But I'll leave that be now.

I too think that to remove Glenn's thread was to misunderstand this board. But I gather from what you say that you weren't involved in that, so I will say no more.

Matthew

David[/quote]

Behave David--he is not yet properly broken-in!!!

Host Mach: Please remember that our UK friends are five hours ahead of us on the East Coast, and six hours ahead of Texas, so a 5:00 p.m. cocktail time ;) in the UK is noon on the East Coast and 11:00 a.m. for you. By the time that we have caught up on cocktails, they are sound asleep!

Bettie

The cacti are the many Joshua trees that dot the landscape in every direction. The tan color is indicative of the lake bed that Edwards is built around. The object in the upper right is an aircraft trailing shock waves in a black sky.

Hi again Mach,

In a slightly more serious vein than my last post on this thread. I managed to identify the Edwards AFB patch by Googling the motto on the internet this morning; and very many thanks for all the additional detail on the significance of its various elements. One follow up question though, what's the significance of the diagonal white stripe that looks as though it's a series of dovetail joints?

Were you a military pilot there or was it a civilian appointment? I'm ex military myself and there are quite a few others around the Cunard board.

Jimmy

And a peedie hello to our new Host Mach, Welcome onboard this fine board!!!

As for the name of the ship in the picture, I thought is was

"Carnival Snaefarme":eek:

Of course l might be mistaken.....;)

Matthew l did hear a fellow passenger describe it as a ****Heap but l missed his first word

:D I wont even go there!!!

Cheers

Myles

David

Host Mach: Please remember that our UK friends are five hours ahead of us on the East Coast, and six hours ahead of Texas, so a 5:00 p.m. cocktail time ;) in the UK is noon on the East Coast and 11:00 a.m. for you. By the time that we have caught up on cocktails, they are sound asleep!

Bettie

But it was at post 31. We have been remarkably restrained, have we not?

David

Archived