Mariner Tile Info

advocado

On my recent Noordam cruise, the suite guest and Mariner's lunches were combined. Only Mariners with more than 50 days were invited. Mariner's Tiles were left in the room that evening.

According to the Cruise Director, they combined the lunches so that the Mariner's could convince the suite guests to take more cruises and the suite guests could convince the Mariners to book more expensive cabins.

We received our tile at the Mariners brunch on the Zuiderdam in November (first time to this kind of function). We were not aware of the tile. In retrospect, I would rather have it left in the room. We were not crazy about the brunch. What was amazing was we (it was open seating) were seated in exactly the same table assigned to us for dinner (#148). It was spooky. I played that # in the lottery when I got back home (didn't win though).

I don't like the idea that I have to go to the brunch to get my well-earned tile.

I might want to sleep (very) late that day, or had a late breakfast, or have something else I want to do. Maybe I just don't want to go to the brunch. There should be a disconnect between showing up for the brunch and receiving the tile.

That's how I feel. In fact, we didn't go to the brunch last week and did not receive our tiles. I emailed HAL and inquired about the tiles not being delivered to our cabin and they informed me that they no longer will do that. You will only receive them at the brunch. I don't think that is right (IMO). But HAL is sending our tiles to us via mail, which was nice of them.

In late Oct. on the Ryndam we received our tiles in our cabins. We declined the brunch. It conflicted with my trivia which I try to never miss. I would imagine that one could decline the brunch and call or go to the front desk and request it be delivered to your room. I'll find out next month on our 30 day South Pacific cruise.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. Lauren and I just got off the Maasdam and they placed the tiles on our bed the last evening of the cruise.

Interesting note: they left four tiles and they seem to be a new run, or species of tiles. Shows an aerial view of mid ship.

(I will try and post a picture??)

Enjoy!

Kel

Actually, there WAS a breakfast item on the menue ... a quiche. I don't think any of us ate it.

I did try the Quiche, on the Oosterdam.....it was disappointing. Cold, and a little runny. Thats the only bad item I ever ever been served on 5 HAL cruises. We would have ordered the salmon or steak.....but were told it would be a long wait for either......they dining room seemed a little unorganized......maybe the "new" Mariner Luncheon needed a few wrinkles ironed out. We received our tiles on our bed turn down (Dec 2007 Cruise)

One thing that bothered me : The invitation stated "bring this invitatioin with you to the Luncheon." We did, but those greeting us at the dining room door did not ask for it. When we sat at the table for eight, the other 6 people at the table wanted to know if we worked for HAL because we were wearing our red badges......I was dumbfounded, but didn't say a word.....I don't know if those six people were Mariners or not.. Anyone could wander in sit down and get a tile under the new system......There needs to be a system to check the identity of Mariners.....

We also were on Oosterdam last week and got two tiles (see below) in our cabin on Thursday evening

Dutchgirl.jpg

I'd imagine they're trying to get more people to come to the brunch and make it seem like a more festive occassion. I've also got a feeling it's going to slow things down depending on how many Mariners are present. Are they going to check-off names on a list as they hand them out?:eek: Sounds like a logistical headache

I've also got a feeling it's going to slow things down depending on how many Mariners are present. Are they going to check-off names on a list as they hand them out?:eek: Sounds like a logistical headache
No, they're on the tables, at each place. I didn't bring our 'invite', and wasn't asked for it, so I suppose there could have been some non-Mariners in there illegally! :)

No, they're on the tables, at each place. I didn't bring our 'invite', and wasn't asked for it, so I suppose there could have been some non-Mariners in there illegally! :)

Thanks for the update, John :) In that case, I'm sure there'll be left-over tiles on those tables who stand a good chance of finding other owners, kinda like what happens to some center pieces at hotel dinners:eek: ;)

Thanks for the update, John :) In that case, I'm sure there'll be left-over tiles on those tables who stand a good chance of finding other owners, kinda like what happens to some center pieces at hotel dinners:eek: ;)

eBay, here I come!

:eek:

Exactly what I'm talking about.... I think a lot of first cruisers happen to wander by the dining room entrance....see everyone going in, and just come on in.......there is zero control at the entry....

Strange. My wife and me have been sailing a total of 55 days so far on Prinsendam (and 47 to come this year) and have never noticed there is a brunch or something equal for handing out the tiles. A reception for the Mariner members is organized but never seen anybody leaving with the HAL tiles. From what i read the issuing of the tiles on board of the ships seem inconsistent. Sometimes at a venue other times in the staterooms. peter

We were on the Amsterdam over Christmas, and we received our tiles, but they had the Westerdam on them. Do they give you tiles with other ship's names on them? I didn't question it with the cabin steward. I guess I should have, because we sailed on the Niew Amsterdam and the Maasdam we got the tiles with their names on them. Considering the other problems with the ship and cruise, I guess it could be considered par for the course.

Strange. My wife and me have been sailing a total of 55 days so far on Prinsendam (and 47 to come this year) and have never noticed there is a brunch or something equal for handing out the tiles. A reception for the Mariner members is organized but never seen anybody leaving with the HAL tiles. From what i read the issuing of the tiles on board of the ships seem inconsistent. Sometimes at a venue other times in the staterooms. peter

The lunch/brunch is a relatively new concept on many of the ships. Some of them are preceeded by a cocktail party - some are not. Some are early in the morning - like ours at 10:45 while some are at noon or 1 PM. This is also varying by ship -- itineraries have a lot to do this.

For all the years we have cruised on HAL, our tiles have always been put on the bed either the night before the Mariner's party or after we return from the party.

Archived