too strict from what I hear

baby

too late to order bar setup

would you take a chance on "you know what"

really would like a drink in my room

not fair that you can't have a drink in your room - you are still paying for drinks in the restaurant and the lounges

makes you not want to travel on ncl...............

my first time on ncl - so we shall see

used to princess and rcc - where they are very lenient and have cruised many times with them

not fair that you can't have a drink in your room - you are still paying for drinks in the restaurant and the lounges

used to princess and rcc - where they are very lenient and have cruised many times with them

You can order bar set-up up until 2 weeks before you sail. I did it. You can drink in your room or around the pool (assuming you're not carrying a bottle around the pool area) if you order bar set-up. Same with taking beer or drinks back to your cabin. I would get beer helmets and keep them on ice in my cabin for a drink on the balcony.

would you take a chance on "you know what"....

some people have done it. If you do a search on booze or wine you will find a few million threads about this. People sure do have some strong opinions on this.

We took some wine on our own this time. And still spent $300, so NCL made out and we were happy.

Not sure when you're going or on what ship, but I ordered mine 8 days before I left, on a Sat. morning. Really thought I had blown it by not ordering sooner. At the time that I did order, I also asked what the latest would be that one could order as I knew my SIL had not ordered either. The lady said that we had until the Wednesday before we left. We were leaving on a Sunday. My SIL did call, but left a message and no one called her back. So she just said forget it as it wasn't as important to her. We sailed on the Spirit out of N.O., on their first sailing out of N.O. So yes, I was nervous that it wouldn't actually happen, but yes, it was all there when we arrived in our room. The bottles were huge! We actually ended up leaving more than half full bottles in the room when we left because it was too much too worry about packing to get on two flights home safely, as we already had 3 small bottles of Tequila to pack and I was too sea sick while trying to pack to really care about it. It was a rough night that night.

Anyway, I will probably not invest in the bar set up again, as it was much more convenient to have them bring me a drink from the bar then it was to trek back to my room everythime I wanted a drink.

One more note: the nice lady said the the girl that usually handles the credit cards was not there at the time, but she could still take my order. This is where I thought, oh no, it's not going to get ordered. But as I said, everything was there upon arrival.:)

We ordered the bar set up for our cruise last week, but packed an entire carry on bag (wheeling type) full of mixers, including a 12 pack of soda, bottles of water, cans and bottles of juices, and 1 liter bottles of tonic and soda water. They let it go right through in Miami without even asking to look inside. My husband also had about 8 beers in his back pack and they let that through too. In port in Samana, an NCL employee told us that we could bring back a few beers. We talked to many other people who bought six packs of beer in the vaiours ports with no problems. It seems they are looking for bottles of liquor and wine more than anything.

Call again.

Seriously I think that most of the reps. at NCL have absolutely no idea what a bar set up is. On my last cruise on the Jewel I had to call 3 times before I found a single rep who had any idea what I was talking about. One time they even had the nerve to tell me "Oh, we don't do that" - when I knew they did.

Call again, I've had bar set ups ordered with just about a week before cruising.

I've never smuggled booze on but if I had to I would probably fill a regular water bottle with vodka and put it in my purse and carry it right on as anyone would with a bottle of water.

I agree with watching what you put in your luggage because on this last cruise I had a few cans of diet coke in my suitcase. Their scanners detected the diet coke and my luggage was confiscated and I had to retrieve my innocent bag at the Naughty Room. Oh the SHAME and here I didn't even have any booze.

I think it is probably easier to go thru with it in your carry on than checked in your suitcase.

Call again.

I agree with watching what you put in your luggage because on this last cruise I had a few cans of diet coke in my suitcase. Their scanners detected the diet coke and my luggage was confiscated and I had to retrieve my innocent bag at the Naughty Room. Oh the SHAME and here I didn't even have any booze.

I think it is probably easier to go thru with it in your carry on than checked in your suitcase.

That is exactly why we put all our mixers (sodas, juice, etc.) in a carry on. We figured they would want to look in the bag while we were there rather than getting called to the naughty room; however, they didn't even flintch!

We brought booze on our cruise but had trouble drinking it all. I think we'll just order it onboard next time. Mixed drinks in Spinnaker Lounge were under $5. House wine was only $5.50. Bucket of 6 beers $19.95.

We tend to enjoy our cocktails on the islands--except in Grand Cayman, which is mucho dinero! Ship was a great deal after visiting Margaritaville.

We love visiting San Juan because of the free cocktail samples at the pier.

I also had a hard time finding some one who knew what a bar set up was. Once I did get a rep who knew what I was talking about it was easy. I ordered mine a week before we sailed on the Pearl. I plan on orderig one much earlier this year.

in that it's handled directly by the ship's coordinator, and if I understand correctly not part of the booking process, it is a bit understandable why there is some confusion.

fwiw, we were going to do this for our cruise but decided against it. I found drink prices to be in line with or less than non-happy hour prices at home, and less than in other vacation destinations. also we found we really enjoyed having a cocktail or a beer in one of the lounges and enjoying the entertainment or people watching. YMMV of course.

was this random thoughts? Not sure if there was an actual question, or if you were venting, or what this post was intended to be???????????

• 2 weeks later...
My post was not random - I truly did not understand since I have never been on NCL

carol

I brought on board what I wanted and they never checked or asked.

Glad it worked out for you! Hope you had a good cruise!

Check out this thread that was posted while you were away. You're obviously not the first person who was apprehensive about NCL's booze policy:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=673605

Tom & Eileen

Archived