ANyone ever do alaska in May or June?????????????????????

wadeod

We are planning on a cruise to alaska next year. either the last week in May or the first couple of weeks in June. Is this a mistake? am i in for lots of cold and rain? I was told by a friend to wait till after June 15thish......is this true? I dont want this cruise of a lifetime to be bad...........please let me know your thoughts? THanks

We did Alaska in May a few years ago, the week before Memorial Day. The weather was picture perfect, and, in fact, the final day cruising the Inside Passage with land on either side was brochure-beautiful, warm and sunny. The mosquitos weren't out yet, there was snow on the high peaks in Alaska, it was quite spectacular.

Last year I did a May 31st cruise and it was perfect weather. This year, I did a May 23 and May 31st cruise and it was perfect weather again! In both years - it said it was going to rain each day and each day was sunny and beautiful.

Thas has become my favorite time to cruise Alaska and I highly recommend it. My July Alaskan cruise was wet and cold ;(

Enjoy!

My very first cruise was to Alaska, 7 nights Vancouver RT, through the Inside Passage, leaving June 19th. It was 80 and GORGEOUS when we left Vancouver. The two days (up and back) through the Inside Passage were overcast, and a little rainy. The rest of the trip was GORGEOUS. The best part, was that we were way far north on the Summer Solstice, and the sun never really set all the way. It dipped to just the horizon, and almost went down for about ten minutes, then came back up again. IT WAS SOOOOO AWESOME! I'll never forget that!

I was on the Diamond to Alaska on May 29 - June 5. The weather was incredible. Sunny and warm during the day and cool in morning and late night. I am going again next May on the 22nd. I think it's the nicest time of the year to go. Also, the rates are better. You won't be disappointed.

We did our Alaska trip the first week in June a few years ago and had beautiful weather too. The only day we had rain (and then it was just a drizzle) was the day we were in Ketchikan. It was a little chilly in Glacier Bay, but then I'm from Florida and I think 50 degress is chilly!!

TinaLee

There is no perfect cruise and setting your goals so high will likely lead to disappointment. There is NO way to predict Alaska weather- so you are asking a question that can't be answered. :) Perhaps- consider- and well prepare for the variety of weather that can happen.

I cruised to Alaska this year May 6th to May 16 from San Francisco. :) It was beautiful the whole cruise warm and sunny.:cool: We did have a little mist in Juneau but that was all, very little children I think there was 28 on the ship and it was fully booked. If I can answer any question just let me know.:confused:

Delores

We did the first 2 weeks in May this year...WOW!! Great rates, even better weather! DH and I were in our swimsuits on our balcony in Glacier Bay!!! Doesn't get any beter than that!!! That being said, I think you just have to get lucky on the weather, however if you look at any rainfall map for the area, May and June are the least rainy. I would venture to say that there may be more wildlife later in the year, but again, you have to bet lucky!!

We did Alaska on the Dawn the first week in June this year and altho chilly, only had rain in Glacier Bay and rest of the time the weather was fine. No sunbathing but the snow covered mountains were spectacular. No bugs to worry about and saw lots of Orcas and Humpbacks. Think the weather was better in May but this was fine. But never can guarantee anything.

I have gone to Alaska twice in May and have a third May trip planned on the Dawn Princess for next year. I believe May is a great time to go because their are baby animals, snow capped mountains melting to natuarual waterfalls, no mosquitos and we luckily did have awesome weather when we went too... upper 60-s-70's and only two days of rain in my 16 total days there. We saw bears, whales, sea lions, eagles both times... hope my luck will continue for wildlife viewing next year too!

hi everyone:

we're booked on the may 8 2005 sailing of the regal to alaska, speaking of children, will we have hordes of them like we did on our march 2004 sailing on the diamond? :D

no more spring break for us

Well there will be at least one, my soon to be five year old. But he is well behaved and hardly ever bites anyones' ankles. :D

We have a roll call thread going....I think there are two or three folks signed into it.....I will search for it and bump it up for you. :)

i see your our neighbor in placerville, i'm in reno just a short distance away. we were on the diamond in march and now i don't mind kids, but there were 390 on our cruise and they basically took over all of the pools including the adult pools. it was totally ridiculous. anyway i've never been to alaska and am looking forward to it:)

btw i started a roll call thread a few weeks ago and didn't get any responses lol.

i''ll check it out

gerry

We are planning on a cruise to alaska next year. either the last week in May or the first couple of weeks in June. Is this a mistake? am i in for lots of cold and rain? I was told by a friend to wait till after June 15thish......is this true? I dont want this cruise of a lifetime to be bad...........please let me know your thoughts? THanks

We have sailed to Alaska on two occasions, once in May and once in August. Unfortunately, both times it poured rain and both times it was cold. Of course, May being much colder than August. Albeit, we still had a wonderful time and the scenery was beautiful, rain or shine!

We had a wonderful trip to Alaska aboard the Regal a few years back, left on May 29th from San Francisco, actually got sunburned waiting to board. We had one rainy day in Skagway during our train ride and another in Ketchikan, neither day was disappointing, we simply whipped out our ponchos and continued on our way. Almost no one used the pools or hot tubs, much too cold but no one seemed bothered. The more rain, the better the waterfalls!

Enjoy your trip.

I go to Alaska for a change in weather. I live in Florida and cruise the caribbean most of the time. I don't want warm weather in Alaska. We prefer May and are guarenteed cold or very cool weather still. Beautiful ;)

We did the Alaska cruise, the first week of June. The weather was cold but not so cold we were uncomfortable. It was gorgeous. We saw plenty of whales, which is awsome but I believe some of the wild life may be a bit more visable a little later in the season, such as the bears. You are in for a thill, whenever you decide to do this cruise.

Carol

Archived