Celebrity's Zenith

Avril

We saw her in Madeira this past fall. She was coming off a charter for a different fleet and was getting some quick cosmetic freshening. She is still a nice looking ship.

One must remember that in the days of John Chandris operating Celebrity, the company was run by a Greek shipowner to reflect his pride in accomplishment. Now, it is run by bean counters, I fear.

Doc

I sailed the maiden voyage of the Zenith. Such a great ship and cruise. I think I saw her this week in Freeport. It was a Pullmantur ship called Pacific Dream. It had the Celebrity X on the smoke stack but they had painted it so it wasn't distinctive. I was going to get get a picture "later" but she sailed off and I missed it.

Hi CruisingAgain:

The ship you saw in Freeport, Pacific Dream, is actually Zenith's sister ship at Celebrity, the Horizon. She will be heading for the Pacific coast of Mexico, where she will be starting year round 7 day Mexican Riviera cruises embarking passengers at both Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta starting May 10th. Although the cruises will be mainly marketed to Mexican and other Spanish speaking clients, English is the other language spoken onboard Pullmantur's ships and I know of one American internet cruise seller who has these cruises listed for any NA cruiser with a sense of adventure.

• 3 years later...

Zenith was the ship that turned me into the cruise monster. My first cruise in 1998 and fifth in 2005 were on Zenith. In 2000 I went on Horizon and in 2002 and 03 I went on Century. Since then I've gone bigger. I think Celebrity is poorer for losing the smaller ships out of the fleet. I liked having ships that could get into Hamilton and St. George istead of making you ferry/bus into those towns.

• 2 weeks later...

Zenith was our first cruise to Bermuda.....abel to dock directly in Hamilton, and then St. George.....

Sailed her out of Bayonne,,,,,We wanted to take her again with the family, but I remember her being sold

before we could do so

and the new name was Azmara Journey....

I got a pretty coffee cup from a Thrift Store that said Celebrity Zenith

St. George, Bermuda,,,,but it also said New York

so it wasn't true to our cruise out of Bayonne, NJ.

Bernadette

I think Bayonne is usually considered one of the "New York ports" though, in addition to Manhattan and Red Hook. So it's kinda accurate for you! :)

Nope, Bayonne, N.J. is Cape Liberty.

Our mugs, say, Cape Liberty, Hamilton, St. George.;):)

Nope, Bayonne, N.J. is Cape Liberty.

Our mugs, say, Cape Liberty, Hamilton, St. George.;):)

I have sailed out of Bayonne, it is indeed in NJ - in fact on that same Zenith itinerary. :)

I just meant that ships sailing "from New York" sometimes sail from Bayonne - nobody says their cruise is leaving from New Jersey because New Jersey doesn't sound as cool as New York City. :)

I have sailed out of Bayonne, it is indeed in NJ - in fact on that same Zenith itinerary. :)

I just meant that ships sailing "from New York" sometimes sail from Bayonne - nobody says their cruise is leaving from New Jersey because New Jersey doesn't sound as cool as New York City. :)

Hey It is a lot easier flying out of Newark than JFK! I liked NJ fine when our Connie crusie docked there for disembarkation from our transatlantic. Also, when we visited NY city many years ago we stayed in NJ and took the train into NY city. I do not mind saying NJ!

We always say we're sailing out of Bayonne as it does make a difference when asking about getting there, hotels, etc. Sailing out of Bayonne this Oct. :)

This was the first ship we sailed on when we first sailed Celebrity.

Keith

The Zenith was our first cruise ever. Still miss her and the small ship experience

• 1 month later...

We cruised the Zenith when she was brand new feb. 2003 with our boy"s when they were very young !! I like Celebrity much better then before RCCI took over then .I think the food was much better back then !! I hate when a great cruise lines go"s in to meager ships !! The service is just not the same :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• 2 weeks later...

First cruise was on the Zenith in 1998 and as everyone has stated she is such a classy ship. The service was impeccable and the best part of the Bermuda cruise was pulling into the port at Hamilton. Followed closely by the amazing experience of pulling into St. George's. Yes it was the Zenith that got me hooked on cruising!!

First cruise was on the Zenith in 1998 and as everyone has stated she is such a classy ship. The service was impeccable and the best part of the Bermuda cruise was pulling into the port at Hamilton. Followed closely by the amazing experience of pulling into St. George's. Yes it was the Zenith that got me hooked on cruising!!

And sadly most ships are too large for those ports now.

We cruised the Zenith when she was brand new feb. 2003 with our boy"s when they were very young !! I like Celebrity much better then before RCCI took over then .I think the food was much better back then !! I hate when a great cruise lines go"s in to meager ships !! The service is just not the same :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Zenith was 'brand new' in 1992. Perhaps she had had a refurbishment in 2003? EM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I loved the Zenith as well. I took a 7 day western Caribbean cruise in January 2002, which went to Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya. Costa Maya was then just barely a new port. And we did a tour to some Mayan ruins. I had a wonderful cruise on that ship, and felt really bad when she was sold. However, I am glad that she is still sailing the seas, better than what happened to the Ncl Norway, my first cruiseship. I must go look at Pullmantur site now for some photos.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed on Zenith several times, and she was not small. Granted, not the size of Millennium, but still larger than Titanic!

We always had a great time and fine food and service. Captain Ioannis ("Yanni") Papanikolau was a gracious host, and always had us to his table for dinner, and up on the bridge. I sailed on her first in 1995, I believe.

No balcony cabins, but it never bothered me. She was a classy ship!

Archived