what is the point in the speciality restaurants?

gingerwolf

custompcsys,

Thank you for supporting my case. It is so clear that the average cruiser has no idea what goes on in "First Class" on a ship.

But don't take my word for it. You should go to the NCL website and check out their "Garden Villas". Since the Norwegian Star, their new ships feature 2 Garden Villas.

Each Villa has:

Private elevators and elevator lobbies

Fully stocked comp bars

Private kitchen area

Grand piano in the living room

Private Butler

Private concierge

Private sun deck with dedicated deck stewards

Private box seats in the theatre

Formal indoor dining room

Private tenders

Limo between ship and airport

Mobile telephones in every room

3 master bedrooms with king size beds

1 master bedroom opens into the private garden

Floor to ceiling windows around the entire villa

Bang & Olufsen television and stereo systems in every room

Walk through closets

Large Plasma screen TVs in every room - even the bathrooms.

Outdoor dining table for up to 15 people

Each Villa has 5,700 square feet, including a private outdoor garden with sun deck, fountains, steam room, jacuzzi, and sauna.

Food from any restaurant is served anytime at the indoor or outdoor dining areas.

Each villa sleeps 6.

And the best part: The walls between the 2 villas can be moved away, giving an apartment with a living room that is 90 feet wide and 25 feet deep, 6 master bedrooms and bathrooms, 2 kitchens, 4 dining rooms (2 indoor;2 outdoor), 2 grand pianos, with a total area of 11,400 square feet, sleeping 12 people.

That's First Class.

Well, I did go to the NCL site and check it out :D Some of what you said is accurate while some is not. A few points:

• NCL is certainly not keeping this a secret as you suggested. They even have a separate web site to market their suites and villas that you can click through to from their main site
  • The tenders are not private tenders, what you get is priority tender boarding, which you also get on Princess.
  • Yes, you do get limo service from the airport to the pier, but nowhere does it say anything about a private jet :)
  • Many of the other little perks you mentioned for the Garden Villas (the private box, mobile phones, things like that) weren't listed, but for the sake of discussion, I will concede that they may in fact be there.

I would expect all of this - and more - if I was paying 10 times (literally) more per person than someone with an inside cabin was paying. As an example, if you were to cruise to Bermuda on the Norwegian Dawn in April for 7 days, you'd pay $1169 per person for the highest inside category (II). The garden villa (category A1) would set you back $10,999 per person. If you can afford to shell out 22 grand per couple you should get more service!

The bottom line is, as others have said, the fact that you can pay for a big suite and get perks on any cruise line is no secret. If you want to define that as first class, that's fine. I do think some of your descriptions, based on a comparison of the information from the cruise line itself, have taken a bit of poetic license :D

custompcsys,

Thank you again for demonstrating how blissfully ignorant the general cruising and traveling puiblic is about what is really available in "First Class" - and above.

The upscale perks advertised to the general public are available to the "nobodies with money" who are lucky enough to be able to afford them. All the really good stuff (jets, helicopters, private tenders, etc) are reserved for the "somebodies" who never need to look at cruise line websites, nor ask the cost of anything.

custompcsys,

Thank you again for demonstrating how blissfully ignorant the general cruising and traveling puiblic is about what is really available in "First Class" - and above.

Most of the blissfully ignorant cruisers can spell "public".:p

If I had those means I would much rather charter a private yacht than be crammed on a 2600+ passenger behemoth.:D

Mike:)

custompcsys,

The upscale perks advertised to the general public are available to the "nobodies with money" who are lucky enough to be able to afford them. All the really good stuff (jets, helicopters, private tenders, etc) are reserved for the "somebodies" who never need to look at cruise line websites, nor ask the cost of anything.

OK then, guess I'm ignorant. Thank you so much for educating me. I feel totally enlightened and humbled that you have shared your omnipotent knowlege :rolleyes:

Just my opinion - We tried Sabatinis on the Island and were not overly impressed - the food was no better than in the regular dining rooms. We wouldn like to try the Sterling Steakhouse sometime though. Whenever we walked by Sabatinis nthere were only 4 orn 5 tables filled.

Ron

I agree with what you have said here. I find that I have plenty of choices and enough food, etc. offered in the regular dinning room.

Now I see, that a 'Chef's dinning table,' like they have on the Emerald Princess, may be offered, on other Princess ships. Yet another pay extra ($75) per person for dinner. :rolleyes:

http://cruises.about.com/od/emeraldprincess/ss/emerald_dining_2.htm

Most everyone reading this has flown on long-haul flights where those peoiple up in First Class received some rather outrageous food, beverage, and other amenities that you knew nothing about.

I flew First Class from Seoul to Dallas on Korean Air a few weeks ago and was served a very nice Krug Vintage Champagne that runs about US$350 a bottle at my neighborhood wine shop. My seat had the newest model of Bose noise cancelling headphones. I told the Purser how much I liked them. They gave me a set to take home. Retail price = US$500.

Many Hotels and Cruise Ships operate in exactly the same way. But most of the average public never sees it. The Airlines, Hotels, and Cruise Lines realize that it would probably upset more people than it would impress, so they keep it hidden "behind the curtain".

But isn't it great that the average Joe can get a tiny taste of that on a Cruise Ship by paying just a token cover charge to get into a relatively upscale restaurant without buying an upscale cabin.

Ummm let me see now you are from the US and are more hung up on the class system than most brits - point - nothing is free you pay for everything in some way, first class air travel London to Miami £5100 v economy £250 ( I just checked) work it out or ask your therapist for some assistance. You have some very serious issues my friend

The garden villa (category A1) would set you back $10,999 per person. If you can afford to shell out 22 grand per couple you should get more service!

All I can is that if I am spending $22 grand per couple, I am not going to book an NCL cabin. You will see me on Crystal or SilverSea.

All I can is that if I am spending $22 grand per couple, I am not going to book an NCL cabin. You will see me on Crystal or SilverSea.

Before I got to your post I was going to respond with the same exact words!

Bruce says that the people booking cruises on NCL have so much money they dont need to look at websites.

I would go so far as to say that people with that type of money wouldnt look at NCL either. Or if they did they would charter the entire ship and not worry about having to mingle with the commoners.

Before I got to your post I was going to respond with the same exact words!

Bruce says that the people booking cruises on NCL have so much money they dont need to look at websites.

I would go so far as to say that people with that type of money wouldnt look at NCL either. Or if they did they would charter the entire ship and not worry about having to mingle with the commoners.

My feeling too! If I had so much money that I could travel however I wanted, I'd buy or lease my own luxury yacht/ship with my own staff and be able to only have whomever I want on the ship with me. Definitely not thousands of strangers! Do these so-called "VIP's" find it offensive to have to see the rest of the low life passengers and then totally seclude themselves?? If so, why don't they just get their own vessel? If these are the "VIP's" of NCL, why are they so reclusive?? You'd think they'd want to be a part of the happenings on their own ship, meet the source of their incomes, and see if people really like what they have to offer.

Quite strange. :cool:

But back to the dining issue. Despite what many cruisers might think, cruise ship dining rooms and service - at their best - are rarely better than a mediocre wedding reception dinner. Producing mass quantities of food all at one time - and serving it all at one time - precludes reaching any great levels of quality or service. Lucky for us that many of today's cruisers are not as discriminating as their counterparts were a few decades ago.
To get back to the original point of the thread, this is exactly it. The main restaurant food on most mainstream cruise lines isn't that great, even if it often looks pretty. Most speciality restaurants on most ships can produce a consistently better product - because the extra charge enables the department to do so.

Brucemuz - it appears that you work for a cruiseline - in what capacity I could care less - but - think about it - do you think the VP of a cruiseline would fly coach and wait in line with all of the other pax to check in
I don't know anything about BruceMuzz, but his post said that it was the company's top VIP that had received those benefits.

Globaliser,

Coiran, like many other cruisers, doesn't understand cruise line economics. With the dumbing down of the industry, out of control fuel costs, and a public that is forced to look for the cheapest of everything, every ship must sail full every cruise in order to remain profitable.

We are quickly arriving at a situation where we have the very rich and the very poor sailing side by side on the same ship. It is just that the very rich are not so happy to share their space with the less fortunate. That's why the class system is getting stronger and stronger in the transportation industry (airlines included). But since the class system is not so palatable to those American cruisrs who find themselves on the lower end of the food chain, the entire system is carefully disguised, re-named, and hidden so they are not offended. So long as it APPEARS that everyone is more or less equal, status quo seems to be unchanged.

The airlines offer "Economy Plus" for those who cannot afford Business Class.

The Cruise Lines offer enhanced dining and service in specialty restaurants for those who cannot afford to purchase the entire Suite or VIP Experience.

When you think about it, it's a pretty good deal. Wouldn't it be great if even though you were forced to fly economy class, you could get the Business or First Class meal and service for an extra $15 - instead of paying the extra $5,000 for the Business or First Class ticket???? That's essentially what the cruise lines are offering.

Every cruise line VP that I know can't even get a cabin - much less any enhanced transportation. Most Cruise Line VPs can only sail standby - even when they are working.

I

Each passenger should get equal service not matter what stateroom they are in or where they choose to eat.

My point is on a ship each passenger shouldnt have to pay extra just to get decent service. It should be a given.

Land based eateries I would expect different levels of service depending on where I chose to eat. Just not a ship where everyone is equal.

Service on Princess or any other line should be equal across the board.

With that said' date=' and as I said in the previous post, I do agree the extra money would be worth it for the atmosphere, quiet and smaller more cozy dining experience.[/quote']

I'm not sure why you think that on a ship "everyone is equal." People who pay more get more: in terms of size of stateroom, perks/amenities, and service. As someone else mentioned, on some lines people who book suites get a "butler." Therefore, they get better service than someone who books the cheapest interior room. That's just the way the world works and it makes perfect sense to me.

I agree that regardless of stateroom everyone should get "decent service." However, those who are willing to pay more to eat in a specialty restaurant will get even better service, likely because the waiter will have fewer tables to attend to, and the cuisine will be of higher quality (which it should be if they are charging more money).

My experience with specialty restaurants has been that the food and service is much better than in the main dining room. If, as a few have stated, the food and service was identical to that in the dining room, it definitely wouldn't be worth it to me. But fortunately, that has not been the case for us. It was significantly better.

I never sailed back in the days when the dining room food and service was similar to a gourmet land restaurant; it is kind of a shame that it's no longer standard, but people want a more affordable vacation these days (I'm giving credence to the folks who say cruising used to be far more expensive in the old days, accounting for inflation). People can't demand lobster on a chicken budget.

Although these surcharge specialty restaurants seem to be a new idea for most, they have actually been around far longer than most people realize.

The best known one is actually quite familiar to most of us.

It was the First Class Dining Room on the Titanic. But it was better known as the Ritz Restaurant, because it was completely catered by the Ritz Hotel in Paris.

You saw a replica of it when you watched one of the Titanic movies.

Dinner - without beverages or tip - cost around $100 per person at that time (1912).

In 1912 the average American earned $300 per YEAR.

And of course, they had no credit cards or charge accounts at that time. So it was $100 per person CASH for dinner.

Would I pay 4 months salary to eat one meal (without drinks) in a specialty restaurant on a ship?? Not on your life.

But I don't mind paying a $15 or $20 premium for an extra-special meal that is not so different from those served on the Titanic.

To the original poster, if you do not feel the need to spend your hard-earned money in a specialty venue, then do not. I have always found the general dining room food to be quite adequate and have yet to have a bad meal or walk away hungry.

The idea for my wife and me to eat in an alternative dining venue is for that extra special touch. We look forward to having impeccable service, a refined ambiance and a better menu choice than the main dining room.

Somehow, this topic has become convoluted and some feelings may have been hurt. The truth of the matter is that today’s cruiser wants the suite style of cruising for an economy fare. Look at how over the years the dress code has become a joke and traditional dining is quickly becoming a memory. Moreover, yes, VIP’s are treated differently. Right or wrong, it is a fact.

The bottom line is that the cruising industry is a business. The stockholders expect a decent return on their investment, as any investor would. If the industry has to lower its prices to attract cruisers, then it must find an avenue to turn a profit. Ergo, specialty restaurants and anything else that can be used to make a profit.

Class segregation is one reason I will not sail with CUNARD, the rich who buy the expensive cabins do not dine with the not so rich who buy the cheaper cabins.

You eat in the appropriate restaurant according to your cabin status.

I suppose the rich bankers and heart surgeons do not want to dine with the truck drivers and grocery clerks.

:mad: :confused:

Such is life, cheers..Les from Oz.:cool:

Class segregation is one reason I will not sail with CUNARD, the rich who buy the expensive cabins do not dine with the not so rich who buy the cheaper cabins.
Suit yourself, but this sort of thing is increasingly happening on cruise ships from all lines.

And, of course, you'd find it difficult to fly anywhere outside Australia if you took that view for air travel!

You'd think so, but that isn't how it works. I find the waiters in the regular dining rooms too harried to provide the type of personal service you get in the specialty restaurants.

And the food is much better in the specialty restaurants. The steaks are so much better than what is available in dining rooms.

I was a long holdout for not paying extra for a restaurant until I did it on Princess. But we ended up loving the specialty restaurants and do them on every cruise.

I have not found the service that much better in the specialty restaurants. Ok, let me rephrase that, sometime it is much better and other times not so much. I can also say the same regarding the food. Are they worth it, on under 10 day cruises, no. On longer cruises, yes for a change in pace. I have yet to find what I would deem true 5 star food or service on any cruise ship.(including the premium lines) Very very good food/service, yes, 5 star, no.

Archived