Passport Requirements for kids

sdmike

This is my first cruise in a while, and I know there are tougher passport requirements for travel outside the US. I also know that they are changing almost monthly. I've read the RCI website and the Passport office site, and I'm still not sure whether or not I need passports for the kids when we take our Mexico cruise this summer (July). I'm ready to get them done just to be safe, but with 3 kids it will be pricey, and if I definitely don't need them I'd rather use the money elsewhere.

How have you guys been handling passports for your kids? (mine will be 7, 11 and 13 on our cruise date)

Yes, you will need a passport. The final, full implementation of the WHTI is to be complete by the summer 2008. The State Department is saying that they have things under control and processing times are back to normal. My feeling is they will soon experience a new backlog with the new requirements coming up (hopefully I'm wrong), so I recommend getting them soon. My kids have had passports for a couple of years now because we love to travel. It's really the best form of ID you can have, IMO.

I believe the passport regs go into effect Jan 08

Passports are easy and painless--just get on it now as they can take time if you wait until a crucnh time

Also an option--is to pay an expediter...Dh is going out of the country in early Feb--and an expediter had a duplicte passport back to him in 5 days...but its pricey...so better to do your papperpowrk and get it going now

January 31, 2008 people will be required to show a government issued ID such as a drivers license, plus proof of citizenship. However, that proof, at that time, does not have to be a passport; it can be a birth certificate. The final phase which includes sea is the summer implementation.

From the State Department website regarding land and sea travel (air is already in effect):

JANUARY 31, 2008

U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

SUMMER 2008

At a later date, to be determined, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have either a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders.

The implementation date will be determined based on a number of factors, including the progress of actions undertaken by the Department of Homeland Security to implement the WHTI requirements and the availability of WHTI compliant documents on both sides of the border. DHS and DOS expect the date of full WHTI implementation to be in the summer of 2008. The precise implementation date will be formally announced with at least 60 days notice.

Passports for minors under age 14 are good only for 5 years, for everyone else it's 10 years. Even infants must have a passport. And yes, for Caribbean or even Alaska cruise travel this summer, everyone must have a passport. The only difference is if you're flying to a non-US port for embarkation or if you're disembarking in any foreign port, such as Barbados or any other island that's not a US protectorate. For those cruises, you must have a passport now. Anyone who flies to a Caribbean island, including Bahamas and Bermuda, you must have a passport. Also, if you cruise Alaska this summer, and if your cruise departs from Canada, you'll need a passport.

We are on the Freedom in April, and a few months ago

I was told my kids would have to have a passport. So went to the local post office and ordered them, only to find out that no we do not need them now for April. Last year my husband and I went on a cruise in Feb. and was told we would have to have them then too. Well guess what, nope it was changed too. I dont believe them anymore. This has been going on for 2 yrs. It was painless but now we all have them. Actually we had the kids passports in 2 in a half weeks. It is very pricey and only last 5 yrs for them. I would not bet that the summer date holds true either. Like I said we were told we had to have them twice and both times postponed. Good luck

Yes the summer date could be postponed but at some point the delays won't happen and the postponements will end and the question is are you willing to gamble your vacation on that? Or willing to risk having to pay to have it expedited? We got my son a passport last June for our cruise earlier this month so we don't have to worry about should we shouldn't we? Will they change the deadline again? We decided it's just not worth the worry.

And, there are now some cruise lines that are requiring passports for their passengers, regardless of the date the US government requires them. To be honest, I just don't see what the reluctance is for getting passports. Even if the rule is delayed again, if you're planning on ever taking a cruise in the future, just get the passports now. It'll save a lot of hassles later.

When our kid was three, we decided to get her a passport as mine was about to expire anyway. Then I was able to just go with her photos and start the paperwork going. Five years later, the rules had changed and both parents and the child need to go to the passport office. Fortunately, we didn't need to drive all the way to the LAX post office this time...there's more post offices scattered about. The clerk said the timing was just right (we went in September in between the usual busy times for them). And we lucked out going after Hurricane Katrina, as those who had sent in their applications just weeks before may have theirs stuck in the New Orleans office. We didn't need to pay extra for expediting the passport and it came in the mail in just a few weeks. Even though our next cruise was Hawaii (with the only foreign stop in Ensenada), it was nice having a photo ID for her. And she felt more official. And if all of a sudden we book a cruise that requires it, we're ready.

This is my first cruise in a while, and I know there are tougher passport requirements for travel outside the US. I also know that they are changing almost monthly. I've read the RCI website and the Passport office site, and I'm still not sure whether or not I need passports for the kids when we take our Mexico cruise this summer (July). I'm ready to get them done just to be safe, but with 3 kids it will be pricey, and if I definitely don't need them I'd rather use the money elsewhere.

How have you guys been handling passports for your kids? (mine will be 7, 11 and 13 on our cruise date)

we will be taking our family totallying 15 on a cruise in april. according to cc and ta they will not need passports till summer of 2008. h and i have passports, five children 2 4 3 and five months do not. they need to use this money for other things. this is a free cruise for them. they will not be getting them for the children.

we will be taking our family totallying 15 on a cruise in april. according to cc and ta they will not need passports till summer of 2008. h and i have passports, five children 2 4 3 and five months do not. they need to use this money for other things. this is a free cruise for them. they will not be getting them for the children.

Well, since our July sailing is "summer of 2008", it'll be kind of a crap shoot on whether or not passports will be required for us. It looks like the safe bet is to go get them. The only reason I'm wondering is that these are NOT cheap. There are 5 of us, and I'd rather spend the $400ish on other things. Better safe than sorry though.

Thanks everyone. I learned some good stuff in these posts...like both of us have to be there for the kids passports. :eek:

At some point, passports will be required for everyone, so if you plan on cruising at any time in the future, get the passports. Yes, they are expensive, but why put off the inevitable? If you want to cruise in '09 or later, you're gonna need them, so get them.

There is a battle between congress, the White House and TSA. The solution is to assume you will need them and get them. They are valid for 5 years for kids and 10 for adults.

As of today (January 1), the requirement for the passport foir cruises has been pushed back to summer 2009. It was 2008 but unless Bush vetoes the legislation (not likely I hear) it will push back again,

But better safe than sorry--you have six months. Go do it now!

We're in Canada and we just got our 16 month old son his passport. Up here, passports for kids under 11 are good for three years and for adults, we have to renew every five years. A PITA for sure, but when traveling with minors, a passport is worth every penny.

Now the fun part...getting into an acceptance center! The big one near our house doesn't take reservations, so we showed up early in the morning. There was already a waiting list 3 hours long so we went home. Few things are less appetizing than sitting in a waiting room with three kids for three hours. :)

I called another local center that takes reservations, but they're booked for a couple of weeks. Also, their systems aren't "set up" yet to accept reservations beyond those couple weeks. Basically, they could not reserve a time for us.

On to Option C....whatever that is. LOL

Now the fun part...getting into an acceptance center! The big one near our house doesn't take reservations, so we showed up early in the morning. There was already a waiting list 3 hours long so we went home. Few things are less appetizing than sitting in a waiting room with three kids for three hours. :)

I called another local center that takes reservations, but they're booked for a couple of weeks. Also, their systems aren't "set up" yet to accept reservations beyond those couple weeks. Basically, they could not reserve a time for us.

On to Option C....whatever that is. LOL

Ok, I may be oversimplifying this, but what about just going to the post office? Around here we don't have "Acceptance Centers". But we have post offices every few miles...lol. We printed off the applications online. Filled them out. Got our pictures taken at a camera store (can also do it at some pharmacies that have photo developing). And brought that to the post office with a check for the amount to process them. It all took about 5 minutes.

I did my original application at the post office. I then went to a different post office when I did my name change (just wanted someone to review it to make sure I filled everything out correctly). When I did my son's I went to the City Hall in the Mall. They charge more but I knew my DH or I could walk him around the mall while the other one waited even though we had to pay the City Hall a fee. Then I got pissed because my DH told me he did his there. He doesn't need the convenience of the mall the one who gets mad at me when I spend money frivolously can spend money frivolously on himself:mad:.

Ok, I may be oversimplifying this, but what about just going to the post office? Around here we don't have "Acceptance Centers". But we have post offices every few miles...lol. We printed off the applications online. Filled them out. Got our pictures taken at a camera store (can also do it at some pharmacies that have photo developing). And brought that to the post office with a check for the amount to process them. It all took about 5 minutes.

Acceptance Center is the general term used by the passport office for any location that will accept passport applications. There's like 9000 of them, and the vast majority are post offices. The place with the multiple hour wait was a post office. The one that couldn't make a reservation was a post office. I already have all of the paperwork filled out, the pictures in hand, and the checks written...just need someone to check it all and take my stuff :)

Archived