Any Possible Names for New Signature Class Ships?

guy44134

We know the Eurodam is the first Signature Class ship due to sail later this year. I understand there is a 2nd ship on order for delivery in 2010. Anyone have any possible names for the new ship? Are there any classic names of HAL ships of the past that would seem to be good fits? Just wondering.

We know the Eurodam is the first Signature Class ship due to sail later this year. I understand there is a 2nd ship on order for delivery in 2010. Anyone have any possible names for the new ship? Are there any classic names of HAL ships of the past that would seem to be good fits? Just wondering.
There have been some threads on this subject in the past, and many serious suggestions were for Netherlands cities. I sent an email to the Mariner's Society suggesting that all Mariners be given a vote this time around, from a slate of maybe 5 to 10 choices. I didn't get any reply! :rolleyes:

I know this won't set well with some of you. But I think this would be an appropriate name for the Eurodam's sister.

Europe is recognized in the Eurodam's name. Holland America's European roots go all the way back. HAL has a huge presence in European itineraries.

The company name itself has America in it. This association is an integral part of the company's history. HAL has a huge presence in the Americas, too. (North, Central, and South. It's NOT just all about the U.S.) This presence accounts for a significant portion of Holland America's revenue. The name Ameridam would recognize and pay tribute to this.

Since Eurodam's name was a departure from the traditional HAL naming convention, the next ship should probably do so, too, so there's not just a single "off-shoot" out there. The Signature Class is being billed as something new and different. So why not a new and different sort of name? They can return to the Netherlands-related naming convention for future builds.

So that's my recommendation.

Norodam..... after Noro Virus? :D I think that is just about the last name they'd want to paint across the ship.:eek: ! ! !

I think when they chose Eurodam, they also chose the name of her sister..... in the event they exercised the option to order the second ship.

Since Eurodam's name was a departure from the traditional HAL naming convention, the next ship should probably do so, too, so there's not just a single "off-shoot" out there. The Signature Class is being billed as something new and different. So why not a new and different sort of name? They can return to the Netherlands-related naming convention for future builds.

Jim, firstly, hush your mouth! :D Secondly, there have been other breaks with the HAL traditions for naming vessels (the Prinses Margriet comes to mind.). Thirdly, I fear that if they name the second Signature some non-traditional name, the tradition itself will be killed.

Sail ... I agree ... I think they've already named her and nothing we say or suggest will get through.

Jim, firstly, hush your mouth! :D Secondly, there have been other breaks with the HAL traditions for naming vessels (the Prinses Margriet comes to mind.). Thirdly, I fear that if they name the second Signature some non-traditional name, the tradition itself will be killed.

Sail ... I agree ... I think they've already named her and nothing we say or suggest will get through.

Hi Rev! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I agree with you on this. Too many 'suggestions' and the tradition itself of naming the ships after places in the Netherlands will be lost and that would be a real shame. We don't need 'funny' names for our ships. Leave that to the Beckhams of the cruise industry... NCL etc!

Jim.... if we must.... why not AMERDAM instead of "A MERRY DAM"???!!!!

I wish for a very traditional name like MADURODAM or STELLENDAM.

Stephen

For the eurodam all employees were asked to submit suggestions. One of the criteria was that the name has to be pronouncable in english, so a lot of the 'classic' names such as Schiedam would not qualify. Also all the "Dijk" names would not fly, as that would associate with the derogatory word for lesbian...

I do not know what the name for the 2nd signature will be, but I hope it's better than Eurodam. When we found out that that would be the name for the 1st, most crew were 'not impressed' (understatement).

For the eurodam all employees were asked to submit suggestions.

And wasn't the winner a certain SK?

Also all the "Dijk" names would not fly, as that would associate with the derogatory word for lesbian.

Had nothing to do with that: Names ending in -dijk signified HAL's cargo ships.

When they chose Eurodam, the other popular choice was Spaarndam. I think they should have called the two Spaarndam and Schiedam.

I agree wholehearteldly.

Who cares if Americans mispronounced Schiedam as "Sky-Dam" - it still sounds nicer than and means more than Eurodumb.

Hi Rev! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I agree with you on this. Too many 'suggestions' and the tradition itself of naming the ships after places in the Netherlands will be lost and that would be a real shame. We don't need 'funny' names for our ships. Leave that to the Beckhams of the cruise industry... NCL etc!

Jim.... if we must.... why not AMERDAM instead of "A MERRY DAM"???!!!!

I wish for a very traditional name like MADURODAM or STELLENDAM.

O Captain, my Captain!!!! Good to hear from you!!!!!

Happy New Year!

So ... any inside data on (1) how they're going to go about choosing the name (2) if they've already chosen it?

Archived