Any Possible Names for New Signature Class Ships?

guy44134

One of the criteria was that the name has to be pronouncable in english, so a lot of the 'classic' names such as Schiedam would not qualify.

Hmmm ... well ... if that was one of their guidelines I disagree with it on experience and principle. Firstly, rather than dumbing things down to a lower common denominator, they should have taken the name as an opportunity to TEACH. Secondly, many of the damship names are unusual to English speakers, true, but still not that difficult.

Be all this as it may ... if the ability of American English speakers to pronounce it was that important, then Edam would have been the BEST choice of all. Personally, I like Leerdam, Dubbeldam, and Spaarndam.

O Captain, my Captain!!!! Good to hear from you!!!!!

Happy New Year!

So ... any inside data on (1) how they're going to go about choosing the name (2) if they've already chosen it?

Hallo! :)

No information!!!:( Have heard not a single whisper. Disappointing.

I agree with you. Any names from HAL's past history would be suitable. Put them all up on a dart board and throw a dart! The names left over can be used next time.

I just don't like 'made up names'. Even the names of the four Vistas are names from the past. Nice names they are too. But EURODAM? EDAM would have been a better choice. There is no need to get clever. Like I said, leave that for NCL m RCI, Cunard etc. :rolleyes: Cunard have named their latest QUEEN VICTORIA, now dubbed 'Mrs Brown'. What a missed opportunity... we could have had a nice CARONIA, FRANCONIA, CARMANIA etc etc A name much more suitable for their new cruise ship, ooops... sorry.... LINER!

Stephen

Cunard have named their latest QUEEN VICTORIA, now dubbed 'Mrs Brown'. What a missed opportunity... we could have had a nice CARONIA, FRANCONIA, CARMANIA etc etc A name much more suitable for their new cruise ship, ooops... sorry.... LINER

Why not some of the White Star Line names? :) Olympic, Titanic ... Oops, sorry .... Nevermind. :D

I despise the 'real' name for the ship that I will always refer to as the E'dam. HAL broke with tradition and named after a continent - or currency??? Falling in line, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dollardam or Yendam for ships in the NA or Asian markets.

Edam would have meet all of HAL's criteria - and still fit with tradition.

I bet anyone here a cup of coffee in the Lido that almost none of the Dutch employees of HAL like that name, Eurodam. No historical significance whatsoever and now Seattle has the added problem of what to name her sister. Are you going to go back and get a historical name such as Spaarndam or Monnickendam? They have almost forced themselves to come up with another totally off the wall name like Ameridam, Asiadam, you name it!

Somebody in Seattle on one of the higher floors should have strapped on a pair and said, this is a 134 year old company, one of the oldest in the world for crying out loud! Let's do what the Brits do so well i.e. Cunard and P&O, stick with tradition and pick/reserve two names from the past for these two ships. If you open it up to everyone who works for HAL (OK, going out on a limb here, the majority of which, probably don't know Jack about the history of the line), you're gonna get stupid stuff. But I better stop and get off the box:rolleyes:

Except the Guilder doesn't excist anymore and not too many Dutchies are real happy about that one either!

Yeh, I know. BTW -- Thanks for the wonderful 7 day vicarious cruise. After reading your posts, I would close my eyes and feel the room sway. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the hurricane force winds that hammered the SF Bay area the last few days!

Yeh, I know. BTW -- Thanks for the wonderful 7 day vicarious cruise. After reading your posts, I would close my eyes and feel the room sway. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the hurricane force winds that hammered the SF Bay area the last few days!

Hey thanks! Yeah, pretty good storm all over the state

Let's do what the Brits do so well i.e. Cunard and P&O, stick with tradition and pick/reserve two names from the past for these two ships.

Hi John,

P&O/CUNARD are not doing so well in the tradition market these days. QUEEN VICTORIA? VENTURA? OCEANA? ARTEMIS? AURORA?

They could have revived some great names....

STRATHMORE, STRATEDEN.........

CHUSAN, HIMALAYA........

IBERIA.......

ORCADES, ORSOVA,

The list is endless.

But AMERIDAM......... I sure hope not.

Like a said before "A MERRY DAM". :(

Stephen

... Falling in line, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dollardam or Yendam for ships in the NA or Asian markets....

Hey - that was MY idea (on a much earlier edition of this thread)!:D But that's OK, Mary Ellen - you can have it too.:)

Hey - that was MY idea (on a much earlier edition of this thread)!:D But that's OK, Mary Ellen - you can have it too.:)
If you really want it you can have it, but credit should be shared. Tinknock50 did coin the Dollardam on the Eurodam??? Not a catchy name! thread after I said in post #10 "I don't care for the name. We've been feeling that HAL has been 'nickel and diming' us for the almighty dollar. I guess they are now advertising that they are after the Euro too".

Both were suggested by yet another person after that on the 'NEW NAME FOR Eurodam' thread. If you care to search you'll see that both names were mentioned many times well before your 23 Oct 2007 suggestion. Sorry, you weren't the first to coin (no pun intended ;) ) the names.

I haven't (and won't) bothered to go back to when Eurodam was first named. I am quite sure that in the discussion here about the name, Dollardam and Yendam were mentioned ''''''way back when'''''' !!! :D :D

Not that is batters even a teeny, tiny bit. ;)

Talking about Queen Victoria being nicknamed "Mrs. Brown". Some idiot over on the Cunard Broad has taken to calling her "Vicky".

Tacky, Tacky, Tacky!

I hope HAL will give the new-build a little dignity with a proper Dutch name. We'll learn how to pronounce it!

hope HAL will give the new-build a little dignity with a proper Dutch name. We'll learn how to pronounce it

Good for you, DFD!:)

S C H I E D A M Shhheedahm or......Skeedahm or, as the Dutch say, Sggggggeedahm ;) That wasn't that hard was it?

Archived