case of water on the noordam

bermuda triangle

So we depart on Sat and I have packed some soda for my cabinmates. My sister and I however drink lots and lots of water. I know the water on the ship is yummy and plan on drinking that while aboard.

In port/at the beach is a different story...We purchased a case and I have read some instances where people could not give their case to the porter (in ny on the noordam) but had to carry it on themselves.

Has anyone brought water along recently? Did you pack it or bring it in the case?

I like the empty bottle strategy. Bring along one for each of you and refill on the ship. Another thing I do is to fill a zip lock bag with ice and take that with us. The ice melts after a while but the water stays cold for a long time.

See you on Sunday.

Barbara

I prefer the more sanitary option of the individual water bottles. Plus there are 4 of us, so it would be at least 8 bottles (or four quart bottles) of water in port. If refilling bottles, it becomes tedious to remember whose bottle is which. So for us it is easier to have the case. But that is just my thoughts, thanks for the input so far.

Laura

Especially now that they've found problems with Nalgene bottles. :eek:

I don't want to bicker about this. I asked a specific question. If you can't answer the question, maybe you shouldn't respond.

I don't mean to sound abrasive, but I am looking for an answer to my question, not alternatives.

I don't want to bicker about this. I asked a specific question. If you can't answer the question, maybe you shouldn't respond.

I don't mean to sound abrasive, but I am looking for an answer to my question, not alternatives.

1) The poster was supporting your choice. If you tear into people who agree with you, how do you treat those who don't?

2) Although you started the thread, you really don't get to chose who can post to it, what they'll say, or what any response might be. Nor, of course, do you have to read and respond to all of the posts. And certainly you don't need to follow someone else's advise - no matter how much experience they may or may not have.

Let it go, enjoy the cruise....

We bring soda and water on board on all of our cruises. We usually pack the soda 12/pks in the cardboard case bottoms and secure all around w/ packing tape then tape a HAL luggage tag to the package. You can do the same w/ a case of water. This is then given to the porters at the pier and is then delivered to your stateroom. We have never had a problem with this system. I personally don't know about NY porters, but the ones in Norfork, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa and San Diego didn't mind. :)

Have a great cruise.

Jeanne

To OP,

IMO, the best plan is for you to assume you will have to get that case aboard yourself. If the stevedores agree to assist, all the better but if I were you, I'd be thinking in terms of, "If I bring it, I'll have to lug it."

That's how DH and I think in terms of shopping. :D If we buy it, we have to carry it.

Have a great cruise.

How do you sanitize the interior of those things?

Good old fashion HOT water. I clean them out every couple of days - prop them up to dry out -- Hot water for caps!!

We have been amused by a couple of cabin stewards who moced them - knocked them over -- and then when we came back -- saw them being soaked in an ice bucker with a ton of hot water -- sitting on the bathroom sink.

Ahoy!

We bring bottled water (12 pack for 10 day or less sails, a case for longer sojorns) and Gatorade (ditto amount-wise) for my DW's leg cramps (apparently helps). I usually slap luggage tag's on 'them' in the hotel room the night before embarkation (along with wine in cardboard box (s)).

We leave aforementioned items at the curb with the luggage, bribe the stevadores and everything shows up in our cabin by 1700 hours.

And to be honest, we did lose one bottle due to 'handeling' last year but it was an inexpensive Merlot (FYI: out of Port Everglades). The cases fit fine under the head sink quite nicely. Hope this helps

Good luck and have a GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

1) The poster was supporting your choice. If you tear into people who agree with you, how do you treat those who don't?

I don't think I tore into the person. And Bicker I apologize if I misunderstood you. I was reading that differently than it could have sounded (again, sometimes hard to tell online). Obviously a carcinogen and bacteria are different. I was focused on the bacteria aspect of reusing bottles. Nalgene can be found in single use water bottles as well as multi-use ones. So Bicker's post could be read as being sarcastic or in agreement.

2) Although you started the thread, you really don't get to chose who can post to it, what they'll say, or what any response might be. Nor, of course, do you have to read and respond to all of the posts. And certainly you don't need to follow someone else's advise - no matter how much experience they may or may not have.

Let it go, enjoy the cruise....

I started the thread for an answer to the question I asked. I wasn't looking for a debate. Of course anyone can post, however, it can be frustrating when looking for a specific answer and having the thread hijacked (not saying that this one was, yet I hadn't received an answer to my question at that point). And as you said, you don't need to read/respond to anyone else's advice either. Sometimes the advice given isn't what the OP was looking for, hence it is futile to ask questions that are not answered. As I had asked a specific question, I don't think expecting an answer (not alternatives) are unreasonable.

To OP,

IMO, the best plan is for you to assume you will have to get that case aboard yourself. If the stevedores agree to assist, all the better but if I were you, I'd be thinking in terms of, "If I bring it, I'll have to lug it."

That's how DH and I think in terms of shopping. :D If we buy it, we have to carry it.

Have a great cruise.

Thank you Sail and everyone else. At this point I think I am dividing the water between the suitcases!

Thanks for your help!

Laura

I don't want to bicker about this. I asked a specific question. If you can't answer the question, maybe you shouldn't respond. I don't mean to sound abrasive, but I am looking for an answer to my question, not alternatives.
As pointed out, I was supporting your posting, not objecting to it. You indicated that you preferred the more sanitary option of individual water bottles. Very often, folks would respond to that recommending Nalgene bottles. My reply was to point out that such alternatives are no longer necessarily consider "more sanitary" -- in other words, I was re-emphasizing the advantage you were pointing out individual water bottles offer.

I don't think I tore into the person.
You did, but I forgive easily. :)

And Bicker I apologize if I misunderstood you. I was reading that differently than it could have sounded (again, sometimes hard to tell online). Obviously a carcinogen and bacteria are different. I was focused on the bacteria aspect of reusing bottles. Nalgene can be found in single use water bottles as well as multi-use ones. So Bicker's post could be read as being sarcastic or in agreement.
I think the source of the problem is that you don't know what Nalgene is. That's my mistake for assuming that you would. Nalgene is a brand name for the most popular brand of refillable Lexan polycarbonate water bottles. As I alluded to before, people would tend to recommend to you to bring Nalgene bottles aboard and refill them, rather than doing as you suggested, i.e., individual water bottles. However, recently it was discovered that after a period of time, Lexan polycarbonate leeches bisphenol A.

I started the thread for an answer to the question I asked.
As others have pointed out, posting a thread on a discussion board implicitly invites all replies. The thread starter is not automatically designated moderator. If you just want an answer to a question, there are other services for that. I recommend http://allexperts.com/cl2/77/Travel/Cruises/ but there are others as well.

I'll be cruising solo on the Veendam March 9th. I pretty much don't drink anything but water or wine....and wine isn't my beverage of choice early in the day! I also don't worry at all about unsanitary plastic bottles (reusing the same water bottle more than once), since my immune system has always served me well. That said, I want to bring my own water on board primarily for the convenience of carrying a small bottle or 2 with me up to the pool, while walking around the deck, and off the ship. What I usually do is bring some individual bottles (4-6), and then a larger (gallon) which I'd use to refill the smaller bottles as they're empty. If I run out of water before the ship is done, no biggie...I'll fill from the sink faucet! I've seen a HAL wine list online recently, and frankly wasn't impressed. I'm not a wine snob, but if I'm paying $$$ for a bottle I don't want it to be Beringer's white zin <g>. So, I'd like to bring a bottle....which I could bring to the dining room for them to handle fo me. I might bring a 4-pack of the little individual bottles in case I want one in the cabin (using the ice bucket as a fridge).

So, sorry for that very long winded preamble....my question/concern is....

since I'm solo, I'd need to get the liquids onto the ship & to my cabin via a porter or something. I can't see myself with a carryon bag, laptop AND a box of wine/water while I'm trying to get to the Lido for lunch. As it is, I'm not sure I see myself going down the line getting my food while juggling a carryon and laptop...since cabins won't be ready til 1. Our first port is Key West - should I wait & buy water there?? If so, where exactly - I hadn't planned to get off the ship there. If I should have it all brought on the ship for me, what type of box do I need? I can do quart bottles of water vs the gallon...maybe that would fit in a box wine comes in - I could do a bottle of wine & then water in that box if that would work.

Sue/WDW1972

You are permitted to bring all the wine and water you want. Your issue seems to be that you need help.

It has been reported here that stevedores in New York do not always agree to take those cases of wine and handle them for you. I don't know about stevedores in Tampa. We sailed from there and found that ground operation to be fine. No problems but we don't drag cases of wine and water with us.

There are VERY strict rules which prohibit HAL personal from assisting with guests' luggage while ashore.

You need to plan whatever method will work best for you to lug whatever it is you want with you but you have to assume you will have to manage on our own.

If you find a kind stevedore who agrees to lighten your load and let you check your case of water/wine, all the better. But be prepared to haul it on your own.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry you had to carry on your own water! In Ft Lauderdale, (with 2 cabins) we checked 2 cases of water,. 1 12pk dt dew and 2 dt coke. The porters handed us tags, grinned and accepted the tips for luggage. They may have thought we were strange, but we were not thirsty in our cabins and our steward kept us in ice! We taped the tags to the cases and it was all delivered with smiles!:)

I'm sorry you had to carry on your own water! In Ft Lauderdale, (with 2 cabins) we checked 2 cases of water... The porters handed us tags, grinned and accepted the tips for luggage. They may have thought we were strange, but we were not thirsty in our cabins...

Here's a little secret - all of the cabins on HAL ships have running water ;)

No need to schlep cases of H2O from home, no need to tip the porters more than the water is worth to carry them - and the steward still gives you ice! So you won't ever be thirsty in your cabin! :)

Archived