Livorno-How often cancelled due to weather?

Has this happened to anyone? We just got off a cruise where a port was cancelled due to weather (caribbean) so I'm thinking of changing my cruise to a land tour for Europe. My focus is 100% on the ports not cruising so I'm thinking the land tour maybe the safer bet.

Let me hear what ports if any have been cancelled on your European cruises. We are going early June. Thanks

Didn't happen to me, but I have read reviews where it's been cancelled. Are you mainly interested in Italy? I've done both a land trip and a Med. Cruise so might be able to help you out with a decision. What cities are your priorities? Whilst the Med. doesn't get the hurricanes it can get bad weather. Livorno is a docking port which helps (no Tenders) but it's possible.

Didn't happen to me, but I have read reviews where it's been cancelled. Are you mainly interested in Italy? I've done both a land trip and a Med. Cruise so might be able to help you out with a decision. What cities are your priorities? Whilst the Med. doesn't get the hurricanes it can get bad weather. Livorno is a docking port which helps (no Tenders) but it's possible.

Yes, We are mainly interested in Italy, Florence, Rome and Venice. I am considering Tauck Classic Italy tour. It is quite a bit more expensive but I would be heart broken if I missed Florence or Venice. Currently I am reserved on the Legend of the Seas. I am a little burned out on the cruising experience (blasphemy I know!) so I'm thinking of doing this instead. Your comments/suggestions are appreciated.

If your main interest is Italy, I'd do a land trip in a minute. Do you have to do a tour? it's really easy by yourself. Especially using the trains. Even driving in Italy is fine as long as you stay out of the city centers. Maybe you could fly into Venice, stay a couple of days then pick up a car and drive to somewhere in Tuscany, base yourself there for a week and take day trips, Pisa, Florence, Cortona, Siena, etc. drop off the car and then head down to Rome on the train for a few days.

We just did Brilliance 9 nighter cruise. Rome, Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Livorno, Villefranche, Toulon and ended in Barcelona. We had an awesome time and no bad weather....so no ports missed.

While we enjoyed this cruise immensely (my first trip to Europe) we found we fell in love with Italy. We plan to do a land based vacation within a year.

While tours can be great - they are very restrictive. Do this then do that....all on someone elses schedule.

Here is our plan. Check out www.cyberrentals.com This website has homes, condos etc. for rent all over the world. Most show one week rentals however..... look closer and a lot of them rent by the day. This can be a great money saver as they are usually cheaper than a hotel.

Our plan is to fly to Venice....spend 2 days (1-2 nights in hotel) there. Then rent a villa (farmhouse etc) halfway between Florence and Rome in Tuscany ( I LOVE Tuscany !!!) We will have a rental car but only use it to explore all the tiny walled villages around the area. We will drive to the closest village with a train station and train into Florence or Rome for day trips.

Then we will move down to Amalfi coast area and do the same.

All together we plan on 2 full weeks there. 2 days in Venice, one week in Tuscany and then 5 days in Amalfi. Plus 1 day travel over and 1 day travel back :( UGH that's the bad part.

Anyway..... think outside the box and you will be surprised what you can find. This website has apartments in the heart of Florence (look out the window and you will see the Duomo). Pretty much anything you could want - they have.

There are other websites too. Some of the properties are listed in multiple sites...... do a websearch. Then enjoy looking around.

By the way. I have done this before. We have not been disappointed yet.

The main issue with doing it on our own is luggage handling. My husband has a bad back and easily throws it out! He doesn't want the hassle of lifting carrying baggage. We are not old and feeble but his back has become an issue on a couple of recent trips just putting luggage in and out of cars and I am not able to do it all. I just did a comparison and Tauck will be more like 50% more.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done both of these trips.

We just did Brilliance 9 nighter cruise. Rome, Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Livorno, Villefranche, Toulon and ended in Barcelona. We had an awesome time and no bad weather....so no ports missed.

While we enjoyed this cruise immensely (my first trip to Europe) we found we fell in love with Italy. We plan to do a land based vacation within a year.

While tours can be great - they are very restrictive. Do this then do that....all on someone elses schedule.

Here is our plan. Check out www.cyberrentals.com This website has homes, condos etc. for rent all over the world. Most show one week rentals however..... look closer and a lot of them rent by the day. This can be a great money saver as they are usually cheaper than a hotel.

Our plan is to fly to Venice....spend 2 days (1-2 nights in hotel) there. Then rent a villa (farmhouse etc) halfway between Florence and Rome in Tuscany ( I LOVE Tuscany !!!) We will have a rental car but only use it to explore all the tiny walled villages around the area. We will drive to the closest village with a train station and train into Florence or Rome for day trips.

Then we will move down to Amalfi coast area and do the same.

All together we plan on 2 full weeks there. 2 days in Venice, one week in Tuscany and then 5 days in Amalfi. Plus 1 day travel over and 1 day travel back :( UGH that's the bad part.

Anyway..... think outside the box and you will be surprised what you can find. This website has apartments in the heart of Florence (look out the window and you will see the Duomo). Pretty much anything you could want - they have.

There are other websites too. Some of the properties are listed in multiple sites...... do a websearch. Then enjoy looking around.

By the way. I have done this before. We have not been disappointed yet.

Oh my gosh that sounds wonderful. Maybe we could pack light??

I plan to pack light ! :D

On a cruise you have formal nights....and we dress for dinner each night so 2 suitcases and 2 garment bags (all with wheels).....

This trip will be different. Since in the evenings I will be sitting on a patio enjoying the Tuscan countryside eating whatever I cooked for dinner....or perhaps just some really good Italian wine and cheese (OMG - I'm drooling) I can wear whatever I want......

PS St. John..... is that where you are from ? If so.... St. John where ?

We're in Corpus Christi. I lived in Houston for 5 years ( a long time ago :D )

I was just looking at cyberrentals. One apt. in Florence with terrace with view of Duoma goes for $ 107.-$119. US a night. Try finding a hotel room for that ;) Has full kitchen, living room, bedroom and nice terrace with view of all Florence. "La Terraza" under Europe-Italy-Florence.

I loved St. John too. We spent the day at Trunk Bay.....had a super burger and cold beer at Woody's - YUM

In early June of 06 we began our 12niter in Barcelona, then on to Marseille with Livorno being next. From our pre-cruise in BCN the weather in the MED. was beautiful early spring but about an hour out of Livorno it got pretty stormy and the Ital. Gov't closed the harbor because of the water and wind conditions. Like an airliner we sort of circled around off the coast for about 1 1/2 hrs in hopes it would get milder but no luck and the Capt turned it into a sea day and that was that for LIVORNO. We'll get it this time off the Insignia in June (we hope).

We too like Italy lots.........& have our sights set on different ports of call this time around. Can't get enough of it !

CIAO,

It's very easy to pack light. On our three week land trip, I had only one checked bag which was under 44 lbs as we flew easyjet to Nice. Land trips its very easy to pack light. You're touring in t-shirts, shorts, capris, light pants and skirts, non of this dressing for dinner nonsense :)

I was on the Carnival Liberty in May '06 and the seas were to rough to get into port. Hence, we missed seeing Florence. The Liberty did spend the night in Venice. I do not believe there would be a problem getting into the Venice port. We spent 3 nights in Rome after the cruise.

I am booked on the Legend of the Seas in May '08. I am flying into Florence for 3 nights, taking the train to Pisa for one night, then taking the train to Civitavecchia. The port is a straight shot from Pisa. My sugestion is to do both. If you get into port, you can always go to Tuscany for the day. Maybe, Siena?

I am flying into Florence for 3 nights, taking the train to Pisa for one night, then taking the train to Civitavecchia. The port is a straight shot from Pisa. quote]

Somebody has been looking at my '08 travel book! LOL:D

Good planning!

It's very easy to pack light. On our three week land trip, I had only one checked bag which was under 44 lbs as we flew easyjet to Nice. Land trips its very easy to pack light. You're touring in t-shirts, shorts, capris, light pants and skirts, non of this dressing for dinner nonsense

Well - not always.

We travelled this area from Nov. 21st to Dec. 3rd so WE WERE NOT IN SHORTS, TSHIRTS CAPRIS, LIGHT PANTS AND SKIRTS !!!!

We had pants, jeans, long sleeve shirts, sweaters and a coat - oh and a muffler ! The only place it was really cold was Rome at night for our 2 nights precruise stay.

But do not always assume everyone travels in the summer :o

Also - we enjoy dressing for dinner while on cruises :cool:

I am flying into Florence for 3 nights, taking the train to Pisa for one night, then taking the train to Civitavecchia. The port is a straight shot from Pisa. quote]

Somebody has been looking at my '08 travel book! LOL:D

Good planning!

Hi GSP,

You gave me insight on taking the train back in September, when I posted for help in taking the train from, Florence to Pisa to Civitavecchia. Did you decide to fly into Florence as well? LOL:cool:

Well - not always.

We travelled this area from Nov. 21st to Dec. 3rd so WE WERE NOT IN SHORTS, TSHIRTS CAPRIS, LIGHT PANTS AND SKIRTS !!!!

We had pants, jeans, long sleeve shirts, sweaters and a coat - oh and a muffler ! The only place it was really cold was Rome at night for our 2 nights precruise stay.

But do not always assume everyone travels in the summer :o

Also - we enjoy dressing for dinner while on cruises :cool:

I'm not assuming you're doing anything, my post wasn't directed to you. The OP said their trip was planned for June.

And isn't the not dressing for dinner on a land trip exactly what you said here....

"This trip will be different. Since in the evenings I will be sitting on a patio enjoying the Tuscan countryside eating whatever I cooked for dinner....or perhaps just some really good Italian wine and cheese (OMG - I'm drooling) I can wear whatever I want......"

What I was pointing out was it is not always " very easy " to pack light -period.

And for the dressing for dinner..... I was merely stating that to some people dressing for dinner "ON A CRUISE" is not " nonsense " but enjoyable. Gosh - sometimes we even dress nice for dinner when we go out at home. My whole point was that when staying in a rented villa, condo or whatever you can eat in your pajamas if you want ;)

OP, if you can go a little earlier check out our cruise that is coming up. It is a 14 nite "Best of Italy" on Azamara Quest sailing April 26 from Rome. Fabulous itineary! And, one of the best things is that you have two days in Venice, Livorno and Sorrento (Amalfi Coast)

If you love Italy and cruising this is a winner, IMHO

Hi GSP,

You gave me insight on taking the train back in September, when I posted for help in taking the train from, Florence to Pisa to Civitavecchia. Did you decide to fly into Florence as well? LOL:cool:

Had (past tense) planned to. Early/mid summer cruise cancelled due to pending grandbaby. Looking at Sep/Oct 08 or early summer 09. In either cas we will fly into Florence and take the train from there.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks everyone for your posts! To the poster who mentioned Azamara Quest, unfortunately that date won't work for us. We considered the Quest in May (no Venice though). Regarding the dressing for dinner we are definetely burned out on the whole formal thing but to each his own.

My DH read your posts last night and firmly stated he did not want to do this trip on our own (via car, trains) so that was out. We agreed that the Tauck tour dates fit best with our schedule this summer and most important would give us more of Italy.

I bookmarked this thread and when we return in June I will let you know if we made the right decision for us. Again thanks everyone for your suggestions.

My DH read your posts last night and firmly stated he did not want to do this trip on our own (via car, trains) so that was out. We agreed that the Tauck tour dates fit best with our schedule this summer and most important would give us more of Italy.

The most important thing is that on your vacation you do what you're comfortable with. Have an amazing time!!

Yes, We are mainly interested in Italy, Florence, Rome and Venice. I am considering Tauck Classic Italy tour. It is quite a bit more expensive but I would be heart broken if I missed Florence or Venice. Currently I am reserved on the Legend of the Seas. I am a little burned out on the cruising experience (blasphemy I know!) so I'm thinking of doing this instead. Your comments/suggestions are appreciated.

These aren't really comparable options. Your land based tour will provide a much richer experience in Italy with more opportunities to really see your destination. For example, your time in Florence and Rome will be limited to no more than 8 hours for each city. The Tauck tour would have multiple days in each. Plus you would be be staying in Italian hotels and eating Italian food.

While I love cruising and the med is my favorite summer cruise destination, I never consider this to be anything more than "float by tourism" where one just gets a small impression of the destination rather than a true visit.

Archived