Does anyone care anymore that I was on the Crown Princess when it listed?

Carol,I care and find it interesting to read the report...........I would have freaked out if a ship did that while I was on it.......

HIYA Nancy.havent seen you for a long time............hope all is well........

Anyway,I really cant believe the uncalled comments from some......SOMEONE sure picked the right CC name though...must be an unhappy person to make the comments he/she made...

We were on the Grand Princess when it listed also, it didn't get the national TV time as the Crown. It was on the local news though. I heard that 300 people abandoned ship at Costa Maya, our first stop. The Captain didn't say anything until the next day. It was poorly handled. I think we went over 19degrees, lots of damage. We weren't too scared because the ships are put through sea trials, but if you were a novice, I can understand the hysteria leaving the ship at Costa Maya!!

We turned in the between all the oil rigs going out of Galveston because of a medical emergency. Coast Guard wouldn't come out to the ship via helo, so we turned at high speed...the woman who needed the evac died. By the time the Coast Guard did come alongside, there were many other injuries due to the turn. Carol, lets hope that's the one time we go through that! I will say it put me off Princess.

HEY PARROT HEAD!! I've been lying low cause I don't have any cruises planned and life has been tossing serious lemons at me lately, which means it's time to make Lemoncello!

I have been thinking cruise again though. Probably an RCI in the late spring. I can only go so long before I have a breakdown :)

HEY PARROT HEAD!! I've been lying low cause I don't have any cruises planned and life has been tossing serious lemons at me lately, which means it's time to make Lemoncello!

I have been thinking cruise again though. Probably an RCI in the late spring. I can only go so long before I have a breakdown :)

Hey,even with no cruises planned,at least stop by our old LB roll call...........its still going!

Yes, we care.

I was on the NCL Spirit that was in Port Canaveral that day. We watched all the emergency vehilces and equipment coming in waiting for your return. We saw you return.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be on a ship that listed. Hope I never find out.

This report is significant to everyone who cruises. A turn at high speed on the Grand Princess had injured 18 people 6 months earlier, then this incident injured 241 passengers. Princess did state at the time that the accident was human error but blamed it on the junior officer. The NTSB report lays blame with the captain and staff captain for leaving the bridge during unstable heading fluctuations in shallow water, which affected the reaction of the ship to autopilot commands and scared the second officer into disengaging the autopilot and manually steering the ship, leading to the mistakes that caused the ship to heel so severely.

Princess stated they had improved training and procedures immediately afterwards, not waiting for the NTSB report, and they are to be commended for that. The NTSB is recommending to the USCG that 1) extensive training be mandatory for operating integrated navigational systems and 2) voyage data collection on heeling incidents be mandatory to help figure out why these things happen and prevent them in the future.

This report will result in measures that will keep everyone safer.

It was a major accident at the time and it's worth discussing now. There were serious injuries and even though our CC friends handled it well and "got back on the horse", I'm sure some of the passengers will never be able to cruise again because of what happened and that is sad.

If you care to read each presentation given at the board meeting, the second link lists the .pdf files.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Publictn/2008/MAR0801.htm

http://www.ntsb.gov/events/2008/Canaveral-FL/presentations.htm

Hey,even with no cruises planned,at least stop by our old LB roll call...........its still going!

I should, cause I really need to get back in the swing of things. That thread is the Energizer Bunny of threads.

JudyF, you should have shipped us some of your desserts. :)

The night it happened should have been formal night and everyone was in shorts. It was the strangest thing ever.

The funniest and most ironic part of the whole experience was the movie that day was, yes it's true, Titanic. I think that's hysterical!!!

Here is the NTSB executive summary of the report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/Publictn/2008/MAR0801.htm

This is exactly what we believed at the time: an inexperienced lower ranking officer on the bridge who overcorrected something that didn't need correcting in the first place.

The NTSB officially places the list at 24%, by the way. :eek:

Carol - I just looked at your signature, and saw your around the horn listing. Have you left teaching? I'd love to take a long cruise like this one, but it will have to wait for a few years yet - my longest so far was a 12-day during the summer, when I'm not teaching. Glad to see you're still out there and cruising - I'm glad this experience didn't put some of us off cruising.

24 degrees, it shows us that we were right, and not those who said it was probably less than 15. I've read quite a bit of the different fact-finding reports that were out there, and some of the stuff is quite amazing.

I'm putting my signature in, so you can see that I did get right back to cruising after that cruise (my first cruise ever) - we even have one planned for Spring Break. (I can't wait for retirement, so I can cruise not on school vacations!)

I always wondered if there were any videos online of the list.... my heart was racing just watching the videos. It must have been really scary for those that were outside on their balconies.

I was in the pool (hung on to a ladder, and grabbed the kid next to me, so neither of us were swept out of the pool - had scrapes for weeks, though). My DH was on the balcony - an aft balcony. He said he knew it was bad when he saw stuff flying down from the aft pool. We had the dreaded aft "beam" that goes up and down in the middle of the balcony, ruining the view from inside the cabin. Well, that beam made a nice thing to grab onto - he had large bruises for almost a month from the chair and the beam.

Wow. Merion_mom is one of the most helpful, interesting and reliable posters on the boards. She did a good job that day, did not freak out (like her cabinmate) and comported herself well. It was something of interest to cruisers. If you go back to the origanal posts on the thread about the cruise, you will see this is pretty close to what she inititally posted as her suspcision.

Carol (MM) is an evenhanded person and someone to have with you when something goes awry. Sadly, she was not willing to jump off the balcony and get my sarong, instead we consigned it to Trident. Who I am sure looks smashing in it.

Hey Carol, I just read another thread on the Princess boards, where one of our compartriots is going on a long cruise. One who said they would never cruise again. I'm thrilled she's going.

I care about incidents at sea and I'm glad they finally released the information. At least we know how far the tilt was. 24 degrees is a scary thing. I still would have finished the cruise if they'd let us and I still want my dessert from that night. The carts all rolled into one another and the sugary goodness was destroyed. A darn shame.

Yes, it was a shame that the rest of the cruise stopped. We would have continued on also, I think. It's good to see you on the boards - I read your blog nearly every day - I hope you get a break soon. I'd love to cruise with you and Carol again sometime - will you ever come back to Princess? (either one of you??)

Oh as for the "News Celebrity" thing, I got a call from two local stations. One who hunted me down via my blog, and the other who hunted me down via a local news story. A writer at the local paper is a blog reader of mine. I felt like a doofus and looked worse. One of the reporters was irritated that I didn't cry in the interview. Um, sorry. LOL!

"Good to see you" ;)

I still say you did good and looked darn good too. ;)

If anyone stuck a microphone in my face I would have sat there frozen in fear. :eek: :D

Anyone catch the lady in white in this video. I'm not entirely sure, but I'm wondering if it's one of those things you drop coins in, and they create that illusion that the coins already in there are going to drop.

I think she comes back to get her "prize".

And this poor lady who slams into the roulette wheel. No one even comes to help her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmpcwWo63sY&feature=related

Carol, you know I love you, but in retrospect, I think I'm glad you backed out of my last cruise, between this and your Jones Act fiasco.

:D :) :p

[quote name='MrPete']Anyone catch the lady in white in this video. I'm not entirely sure, but I'm wondering if it's one of those things you drop coins in, and they create that illusion that the coins already in there are going to drop.

I think she comes back to get her "prize".quote]

OMG!!:eek: :eek: She DOES!! She grabbed a bucket and started getting the coins!! That other woman DID run into the roulette table hard, and then something pretty big rolled right past her. :eek:

[quote name='MrPete']Anyone catch the lady in white in this video. I'm not entirely sure, but I'm wondering if it's one of those things you drop coins in, and they create that illusion that the coins already in there are going to drop.

I think she comes back to get her "prize".

And this poor lady who slams into the roulette wheel. No one even comes to help her.

:D :) [/quote]
:pI noticed that and also in the first video,the two people on the right side of the screen didnt even seem too fazed by flying chairs and people....:eek:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPJP6OrcJ9A&mode=related&search"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPJP6...related&search[/URL]

[quote name='Merion_Mom']Here is the NTSB executive summary of the report:

[url]http://www.ntsb.gov/Publictn/2008/MAR0801.htm[/url]

This is exactly what we believed at the time: an inexperienced lower ranking officer on the bridge who overcorrected something that didn't need correcting in the first place.

The NTSB officially places the list at 24%, by the way. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Merion Mom I do care that you were on her when she listed. I was on the sailing right after the incident. I do believe that you wanted to come join us and our very merry crew.

[quote name='Nliedel']It always amazes me what greed will do to people.

:)[/quote]

Really!! I hope they watched that and caught that lady. She should be ashamed of herself! People were injured and she was stealing from a machine that only tilted because the SHIP did!:eek: Shame on her!!!:mad: :(

[quote name='sagiv666']I do not understand your post. Of course we care for your welfare, as for our won, as all who decide to cruise take the same risks, regardless of what ship or what line and what itinerary.
By the way, all of us who drive take the same risks on the road. We would be concerned if one of us was injured in an auto accident,[COLOR=red] but there comes a time when too much concern can be damaging, [/COLOR]whether on a ship or in a car.[/quote]

I guess I'm missing something because I do not understand your post.:confused:

Carol, the "junior" officer who over corrected wasn't distacted while giving you an exclusive bridge tour and trying to answer all of your questions were they? Or perhaps he was awe-struck by your beauty? Glad your ok. The preceeding was mean't tongue and cheek, please don't send your children to beat me up.:D :rolleyes: :p

[quote name='Nliedel']Oh as for the "News Celebrity" thing, I got a call from two local stations. One who hunted me down via my blog, and the other who hunted me down via a local news story. A writer at the local paper is a blog reader of mine. I felt like a doofus and looked worse. One of the reporters was irritated that I didn't cry in the interview. Um, sorry. LOL![/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Hi Nancy: how's it going girl???? Just thinking of our pre inaugural. Did you catch my Liberty review in September? Hope all is well with you and your books are making millions!!. Happy New Year![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Becci[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='vator90']Carol, the "junior" officer who over corrected wasn't distracted while giving you an exclusive bridge tour and trying to answer all of your questions, were they? Or perhaps he was awe-struck by your beauty? Glad you're ok. The preceeding was meant tongue and cheek, please don't send your children to beat me up.:D :rolleyes: :p[/QUOTE]

Aw, Jim, you know that they are really mild-mannered at heart! ;)

No bridge tours for me on Princess. I was a lowly first-timer!

Archived