Pregnant- safe to eat island foods/cheese on ship?

redshoe

I will be 12 weeks pregnant on our upcoming cruise and I know there are foods to avoid while pregnant. Some of our shore excursions come with lunch and I wonder if it is safe to eat the salsa and fruit in Cozumel? I know I'm supposed to avoid water except bottled water I bring myself. One of the events is a private beach day where they provide barbecue and I would be so bummed if I can't eat anything

What about the fancy gourmet dinner meals on board that include lots of brie or other soft cheeses--are they pasteurized since they originate from the US?

I've never had a "fancy gourmet meal" on a cruise that had lots of soft cheese, but maybe you will. I don't know if the cheese will be pasturized or not; you could ask your server or just avoid it. Just because the cruise originates in the U.S., does not mean the cheese is from the U.S. I am not sure why you could not eat things served at a beach barbeque?

If you are worried, I suggest you discuss any health issues with your doctor, just to be sure.

Hello,

I too am pregnant for our next cruise. Great post to start. I would stay away from fresh fruit on an island you wouldn't drink the water from... just to be safe. I have heard to stay away from all soft cheeses as well. I love Brie, but even if it is cooked and we just bought it at our local super market I am not supposed to eat it. I guess even things like blue cheese dressing you can't have. The thing that will drive me crazy on the cruise is no deli sandwiches.... I am never a huge cold cut fan, but I think b/c I know I am can't have them now, that's all I want!!!

The salsa/fruit is a tough one. From what I understand, the places that cater to lots of travelers (like eating at a restaurant at a beach resort) use purified water so you would have more problems with somewhere like a road side stand.

I would avoid soft cheeses, period. You just never know.

Avoid the lunchmeat - listeria.

And you're right about bringing your own water. I saw a warning about locals refilling bottles of water with tap water. So anything you drink, make sure the seal isn't broken.

I would also keep in mind that being in your first trimester your stomach may be a little more sensitive than usual. You don't want to eat something that doesn't agree with you and then be miserable for the rest of day.

Enjoy your trip!

I understand the possibility of getting Listeriosis, but on every cruise I've been on, the servers have stood there carving hams, etc. to make sandwiches. This is not the same, to me at least, as ready to serve luncheon meat. I honestly think we all worry just too much.

It was a lot easier to be pregnant when I was! All I did was avoid sushi. Even, *gasp* drank an occasional glass of wine. Did not affect any child's ability to talk, that's for sure.

The reason for no deli sandwiches is deli meats can carry a bacteria called listereosis (sp?). It is a harmful thing for non pregnant women (1 in 5 dies if contracted), but if you are pregnant you are more susceptible to it and even if you live through it, there is a good chance the baby would not.

I agree with redshoes comment on how things used to be easier for pregnant women. We do worry about a lot of things these days. But truth of the fact is people have died from this, even if you didn't.... So, if I could maybe avoid a complication from not eating something for a few months I will. Oh, and I think the hot carving stations are fine. Also, if you want deli meats and heat them until them steam that kills the listeriosis.

On the islands, stay away from anything that you cannot peel in the case of fruits and vegetables. Don't drink anything with ice including those wonderful non-alcoholic drinks or coffee or tea. Don't let them bring you bottled water unless you break the seal on the cap---some places will take old water bottles and fill them with tap water and then they insist on opening the bottle for you, so you won't realize that the water isn't fresh.

On the islands, stay away from anything that you cannot peel in the case of fruits and vegetables. Don't drink anything with ice including those wonderful non-alcoholic drinks or coffee or tea. Don't let them bring you bottled water unless you break the seal on the cap---some places will take old water bottles and fill them with tap water and then they insist on opening the bottle for you, so you won't realize that the water isn't fresh.

It is till dangerous to peel fruit on the island without washing. The knife can spread any infection/ bacteria to the underlying fruit.

Bring your own bottled water from the ship ...enough said....

**darn** so it sounds like I need to stick to the chicken at the cookout---could I eat potato salad ?

I'm not sure what fruit they will serve it just said food would be chips/salsa and guacamole with fruit salad, various barbecue meats and dessert.

I was looking over the main dining menus and I saw all the foods that included Brie, feta, and other assorted soft cheeses cooked into the dishes so I didn't know if I could eat those because they were cooked.

It's easy to forgot about the little things to avoid (like ice in a drink) when you are so caught up in the excitement of the cruise excursions.

My mother gave birth to 6 of us, and all during her pregnancies she smoked, drank Scotch, took aspirin, and ate lunch meat. :D

Every one of us is strong as a horse, and we're all taller than my parents, so no stunted growth and no one born with a disease or defect.

But of course you need to do what you feel comfortable with and what your doctor orders.

I've never been a cruise where the dining room food consisted of a lot of dishes with soft cheese melted into them. Maybe one appetizer like Brie in phyllo or feta sprinkled on a salad. Lots of choice so those particular dishes wouldn't be an issue.

Roz

It is till dangerous to peel fruit on the island without washing. The knife can spread any infection/ bacteria to the underlying fruit.

Bring your own bottled water from the ship ...enough said....

I never said you shouldn't wash the fruit, but just trying to inform that they shouldn't just eat an apple or cherries or grapes because of the risk of e-coli on the peel. Of course everything should be washed, but if you wash the things with anything other than bottled water, it's defeating the purpose.

I went on acruise last year at 12 weeks pregnant. I think bringing your own water is a good idea. Beyond that I didn't get too carried away with dietary restrictions. I asked if cheeses were pasturized and if they were I ate them. I ate lunchmeat at least 2-3 days per week which my Dr. said was fine. The only things I really missed being able to eat while on the boat was sushi, coffee and alcohol. Even if you are very rigid it what you will eat I think you will find plenty of options on the ship. You could always pack some food from the buffet for the shore excursions if you are concerned about the food on the islands. Have a great trip.

You could always pack some food from the buffet for the shore excursions if you are concerned about the food on the islands.

No, you can't. You aren't allowed to bring food off of the ship. On our last cruise, they were checking for this and confiscating food from people.

I have to say that although I have never been pregnant, I think this must be an American thing? I've never heard of not eating soft cheese because of listeria? I do sometimes wonder how my generation (I am 60) ever survived childhood!

Here is a link for you - do's and don'ts of soft cheese eating when pregnant. As for going ashore, you are not allowed to take anything with you from the ship. Why not stick to cooked meats, fruit you peel yourself

Cheeses which are SAFE to eat in pregnancy

Hard cheeses:

austrian smoked, Babybel, caerphilly, cheddar, cheshire, derby, double gloucester, edam, emmental, english goat's cheddar, feta (if bought in the UK), gouda, gruyere, halloumi, havarti, jarlsberg, lancashire, manchego, orkney, paneer, parmesan, pecorino (hard), provolone, red leicester.

Soft and processed cheeses:

Boursin, cottage cheese, cheese spread, cream cheese, mascarpone, mozzarella, Philadelphia, Quark, ricotta.

Yoghurts, fromage frais, soured cream and creme fraiche -- any variety, including natural, flavoured and biologically active -- are all safe to eat.

Cheeses to AVOID in pregnancy

Mould-ripened soft cheeses:

brie, blue brie, cambozola, camembert, chaumes, pont L'eveque, prince jean, tallegio. vacherin-fribourgeois, weichkaese.

Blue-veined cheeses:

bavarian blue, bergader, bleu d'Auvergne, blue shropshire, cabrales, Danish blue, dolcelatte, doppelrhamstuge, eldel pilz, gorgonzola, romano, roncal, roquefort, stilton, tommes, wensleydale (blue).

• 2 weeks later...

As an OBGYN, I will tell you that ACOG recommends that you follow the CDC's recommendations to avoid certain food during pregnancy because of the increased risk for listeria. There have been several listeria outbreaks in the US over the past few years (probably why increased warnings & why increased consumer alert). In the US there are pretty strict food preparation regulations and even so there are still outbreaks of listeria, salmonella and e. coli. When you travel to foreign countries, your risk increases esp. if that country does not adhere to such regulatory standards. If you are pregnant I would recommend you become aware of what you should avoid and use common sense when traveling and eating local food. Eating potato salad made with mayonnaise that has been in the heat all day is not safe in the US or in any other country.

Here is the CDC link

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/listeriosis_gi.html#reducerisk

Jen

As an OBGYN, I will tell you that ACOG recommends that you follow the CDC's recommendations to avoid certain food during pregnancy because of the increased risk for listeria. There have been several listeria outbreaks in the US over the past few years (probably why increased warnings & why increased consumer alert). In the US there are pretty strict food preparation regulations and even so there are still outbreaks of listeria, salmonella and e. coli. When you travel to foreign countries, your risk increases esp. if that country does not adhere to such regulatory standards. If you are pregnant I would recommend you become aware of what you should avoid and use common sense when traveling and eating local food. Eating potato salad made with mayonnaise that has been in the heat all day is not safe in the US or in any other country.

Here is the CDC link

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/listeriosis_gi.html#reducerisk

Jen

Archived