Barcelona Hotels - Recommendations (merged)

WE are staying at the Grand Hotel Central booked through Princess for our pre cruise night. Has anyone ever stayed there? I'm sure it will be nice as I have never been booked in a bad one by Princess.

Have stayed most recently at Hotel Jazz, Atrium Palace and Hotel Montecarlo. I have a reservation at Hotel Montecarlo for our upcoming trip as it's been our favorite.

(Hi Cat!)

Petonoya

Saw that you stayed at the Jazz. We have reservations there.

Comments?

a

Cathy,

If I remember correctly there are only two-three small steps at the entrance of Hotel Montecarlo and then a few more in the atrium. If stairs are really a problem it may not be for you. But it is an exquisite hotel in an absolutely superb location. And for being right on Las Ramblas it has excellent sound protection- very quiet. Outstanding staff. You may want to email the hotel and ask if there is an alternate way to navigate your way into the lobby. I LOVE this place. If you want no steps you might consider the Hotel Jazz below, but the feeling and style of these two hotels are very different.

The other place you might want to look into is the H10 Raco del Pi as mentioned earlier by Cruisemom- small boutique hotel just off Las Ramblas and very close to Placa de Catalunya. No stairs. It's in a quiet area in the Barri Gotic. Love this area as it has the feeling of Venice- all the quiet little pedestrian walkways.

Slomotion,

The Hotel Jazz is ultra chic and contemporary. Feels very 'artsy Barcelona'. We stayed there shortly after it opened a few years ago. It's also in a perfect location, great staff, rooms and amenities. I would go back but prefer the old world charm of the classic hotels. Think you will be very pleased tho. :)

Can also vouch for the Apsis Atrium Place- the price has always been very reasonable. Our balcony looked right out onto the Gran Via De les Corts Catalanes-beautiful yet very quiet. Placa de Catalunya and Las Ramblas are a few blocks away. We walked about one and a half miles to Sagrada Familia.

Truthfully, there is so much to do and see in Barcelona, it is hard to go wrong with choosing a hotel. Find something comfortable, well rated on Tripadvisor and Venere and in a convenient location. Don't want to be too far from either Las Ramblas, Placa Catalunya or the Cathedral if you are only staying for a day or two. But you will be so busy seeing the sites and wandering. If you are like me your hotel room will be much like your cruise stateroom- just a place to change clothes and get a good nites sleep. (For anyone who has not been to Spain, the beds are much harder there in general!)

Happy tapas......

Slomotion,

The Hotel Jazz is ultra chic and contemporary. Feels very 'artsy Barcelona'. We stayed there shortly after it opened a few years ago. It's also in a perfect location, great staff, rooms and amenities. I would go back but prefer the old world charm of the classic hotels. Think you will be very pleased tho. :)

Happy tapas......

Thanks!

(For anyone who has not been to Spain, the beds are much harder there in general!)

Funny you should say this..... we stayed at Le Meridien in Barcelona on Las Ramblas and their bed was one of the softest, comfiest beds I have ever slept in a hotel. BTW: I have stayed at many many 5 star hotels..... Bellagio in Vegas, the One and Only Ocean Club in Nassau, Ritz Carltons, and the list goes on. Was pleasantly surprised after our bed in Rome - "ouch".

We just booked the Nouvel 187 euros a night.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we stayed at this hotel post-cruise August 2007 and wouldn't recommend it at all. The walls were so thin, we knew exactly when our neighbors returned and what happened after that! :eek: Bathrooms were clean but the showers leaked all over, creating a small flood in the room. Our kids were in a room down the hall and although it was a more spacious room, it suffered from the same problems. We've lived and traveled all over the world, and this was among the worst places I've stayed.

The people at the desk were helpful at all times and spoke far better English than our Spanish or Catalan. There just wasn't enough charm and pleasant employees to make up for the room and location. I would look for a hotel north (farther up Ramblas) of Placa Cataluna where it was less seedy. Pre-cruise we stayed in an apartment just a block from Sagrada Familia, Apartments Marina (145 euros, 2bedroom, 1 bath, full kitchen, and 1 block from hop-on hop off bus routes) Las Ramblas reminded me a bit of Bourbon Street in New Orleans -- smelled similar in the morning, too! -- but with out the Royal Sonesta as a haven.

BTW, there's a fantastic tapas restaurant near Placa Cataluna... Cerveseria Catalana. Wonderful food and sangria.

Have a great time! Please reconsider the place you've chosen as your base for Barcelona. It is such a fantastic city that I'd hate to have your opinion tainted by Nouvel Hotel and it's area.

We stayed at Hotel Jazz after cruise at end of October. Lovely Chic hotel as stated. Lovely large bathroom. Swimming pool on top floor. Right at the top of the Ramblas by catalyna square. We walked through in a couple of minutes and I walk slow. Would go back there if we stay in Barcelona again.

Funny you should say this..... we stayed at Le Meridien in Barcelona on Las Ramblas and their bed was one of the softest, comfiest beds I have ever slept in a hotel.

Well......like I say hard beds 'in general'. I rarely stay in 5* hotels. But many of the beds I have slept on Spain are harder than what I'm used to. We all have different perceptions of what a hard bed is, so maybe it's not fair that I make a generalization. My husband loves a hard bed and has never complained. :)

We've booked the Park Hotel in Barcelona for 2 nights pre-cruise and 1 night post-cruise in June. It was recommended by our TA and looks lovely and contemporary. It's not on La Rambla, but a couple of blocks away. No 24 hour buffet, but the price does include breakfast.

Here's a link:

http://www.venere.com/hotel/?htid=13798&action=rooms_prices&lg=en&tripref=34989#start

Cat,

Looks like a great hotel in a perfect location!

If someone has not suggested to you already, be sure to get second seating on your cruise. You'll want every moment possible in each port. And have time to rest and dress before dining.

Best wishes on your cruise! :)

Cat,

If someone has not suggested to you already, be sure to get second seating on your cruise. You'll want every moment possible in each port. And have time to rest and dress before dining.

We insisted on second seating. We need some time to unwind, shower, change, and see sailaway at each port before dinner. I think we may lose weight on this cruise!

Cat,

We insisted on second seating. We need some time to unwind, shower, change, and see sailaway at each port before dinner. I think we may lose weight on this cruise!

We stayed at Hotel Jazz after cruise at end of October. Lovely Chic hotel as stated. Lovely large bathroom. Swimming pool on top floor. Right at the top of the Ramblas by catalyna square. We walked through in a couple of minutes and I walk slow. Would go back there if we stay in Barcelona again.

Wirral,

Thanks for the endorsement

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we stayed at this hotel post-cruise August 2007 and wouldn't recommend it at all. The walls were so thin, we knew exactly when our neighbors returned and what happened after that! :eek: Bathrooms were clean but the showers leaked all over, creating a small flood in the room. Our kids were in a room down the hall and although it was a more spacious room, it suffered from the same problems. We've lived and traveled all over the world, and this was among the worst places I've stayed.

The people at the desk were helpful at all times and spoke far better English than our Spanish or Catalan. There just wasn't enough charm and pleasant employees to make up for the room and location. I would look for a hotel north (farther up Ramblas) of Placa Cataluna where it was less seedy. Pre-cruise we stayed in an apartment just a block from Sagrada Familia, Apartments Marina (145 euros, 2bedroom, 1 bath, full kitchen, and 1 block from hop-on hop off bus routes) Las Ramblas reminded me a bit of Bourbon Street in New Orleans -- smelled similar in the morning, too! -- but with out the Royal Sonesta as a haven.

BTW, there's a fantastic tapas restaurant near Placa Cataluna... Cerveseria Catalana. Wonderful food and sangria.

Have a great time! Please reconsider the place you've chosen as your base for Barcelona. It is such a fantastic city that I'd hate to have your opinion tainted by Nouvel Hotel and it's area.

Hey, really do appreciate your input and your opinion, but believe we will stay put at the Nouvel, I did check it out on TripAdvisor and the reviews were mixed, the more current, the better the review...There's 4 of us, just adults, no kids thank goodness, and it's a pre-cruise 2 nite stay, we'll just save the $ for the excursions. Besides after those 2 nights, it's a suite on the Jade...

Thanks a bunch!

Petoonya, it sounds as if you have stayed at both the Apsis Atrium Palace and H10 Raco del Pi. If so, can you tell me which you would choose? The price is within 10 euros, so that is not an issue.

We stayed the the Atrium Palace before and while we liked the service and room, it was NOISY!!! First there were the schoolchildren playing in the courtyard in the afternoon followed by a recital in the evening, then we had the neighbors who either went out and left their television on full blast or fell asleep with it on that way, and at about 4 a.m. another neighbor arrived from the airport and proceeded to call someone to tell them all about his travels until about 4:45 a.m. And housekeeping told us they don't have any washcloths, which we found strange. The second night was a great improvement. The beds were comfortable, the staff was friendly, the bathroom was huge, and the location was great.

We are hoping for a quiet place to rest that has WiFi (free is always best), as we will have shaken our jetlag in Paris prior to our arrival in Barcelona.

Your opinion is appreciated.

Has anyone stayed at any of these three hotels? or has any knowledge of them? They have been recommended to us by our TA. We will be in Barcelona for two nights pre-cruise at the beginning of Sept.

Melia Barcelona

Tryp Apolo

Catalonia Corcega

Thank you.

Karen~

We had a lovely stay at the Atrium Palace, but it was a quiet time of year (early May). We were on the boulevard side of the hotel, and even with the balcony doors open it was very quiet. (I am a noise freak and quiet is paramount!) Would not have liked your room facing the courtyard either.

Have not stayed at H10 Raco Del Pi, but visited the hotel last spring and looked at a room. It is at least as nice as the Atrium Palace and the area is ideal. It's a much smaller complex (the rooms maybe a little smaller than A. Palace too). Management seemed very friendly even tho I wasn't making a reservation. Can't vouch for it on the "quiet factor", but I would choose it over the Atrium Palace just because I like the area better. Can imagine that it could get a little noisy being close to Las Ramblas. But overall it would still be my choice.

Cathy~

Glad that helped you some. I think the Hotel Jazz might really work for you two. Something a little different. It's fun to "shop" isn't it? :)

Best wishes......

Thanks, Petoonya. Since they are so close in price, we've experienced the good and the bad at AAP, but the H10 is unknown, it's difficult to make a decision. Quiet is paramount for me, too! I'm leaning toward the H10 only because I enjoy new experiences. Will have to let DH weigh in on this one. Thanks again.

very few hotels have wash cloths.

Are you referring to hotels in Barcelona, Spain, Europe???? Since my only previous European hotel experience was in London (and it did provide wash cloths), I was surprised that the AAP didn't have them. All hotels in the US have them, so I never gave it a thought.

Karen

Are you referring to hotels in Barcelona, Spain, Europe???? Since my only previous European hotel experience was in London (and it did provide wash cloths), I was surprised that the AAP didn't have them. All hotels in the US have them, so I never gave it a thought.

Karen

Wash cloths (face flannels in the UK) are frequently not available in European hotels, especially in my price range. I pack my own.

Wash cloths (face flannels in the UK) are frequently not available in European hotels, especially in my price range. I pack my own.

Such great names for things: face flannels!

So they are offered in higher price hotels? I wonder what the reason for that is? The only difference in the states is that the less expensive motels/hotels offer scratchy ones and the higher priced hotels offer thick, soft ones. :)

Thanks for educating me!

Karen

We always bring a couple of wash cloths with us whenever we travel to Europe. In many hotels they are non existent.

I remember our first trip to Europe 25 years ago. We stayed at an Intercontinental in Germany. We asked for washcloths, and finally received one. The next day, I saw housekeeping using a wash cloth to clean the bathroom! By that time we had already gone out to buy ourselves some! I'll never forget that first experience of seeing a plush wash cloth being used to clean around the toilet!!:eek:

Mary

Archived