Taking passports off ship or leaving in cabin safe?

LeslieSJ

I know this has been discussed before but when I try to search this site it gets bogged down & times out. So forgive me for asking again....

Do you take your passport ashore with you or leave it in your cabin? I don't like the idea of carrying it around in a bag which could be stolen -- seems like the odds of a purse-snatching are higher than the odds of needing it for some kind of assistance, e.g., if you missed the ship due to a late-running excursion.

Would carrying a photo-copy of it be worth anything or is that meaningless to authorities?

I do remember needing it to make a purchase in a jewelry store in Barbados -- don't know if that was just the store's policy or a Barbados thing or if it is common in the Caribbean.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

When you consider that some cruise lines actually take your passport from you when you embark, and don't return them until the last night of your cruise, I think that would indicate that you don't need to take your passport with you. A color copy of the information page is a great idea. I've been to Barbados many times, and have shopped until the credit card smoked, and I've never been asked for my passport.

I always carry mine with me, but perhaps that's a habit formed from years of world travel. I've been places where you are expected to have your passport and visa with you at all times. However, the Caribbean is a different story, and I'm sure that most people would not want to carry their passport on something like a beach break shore trip. My suggestion would be to carry a photocopy with you (you can fold it up and put it in your wallet) and leave the original in your safe.

Also, keep in mind that many ports require that you have a photo ID with you in addition to your sea pass. Do don't get off the ship without anything at all in hand.

but that's just a habit. A generation of cruisers got by without them which proves its no real benefit unless you miss the ship (then its crucial).

A photocopy is worthless to most authorities, but it facilitates your replacement of the original (almost in minutes) at a U.S. embassy which is a visit you'll be taking if you miss the ship without a passport.

I just wish passports were the size of driver's licenses instead of bulky. I end up carrying the wife and kids (6 total) There's no technical reason why you couldn't have a small plastic one and keep a corresponding big multipage for the places that still require page stamp visas and what not.

I know this has been discussed before but when I try to search this site it gets bogged down & times out. So forgive me for asking again....

Do you take your passport ashore with you or leave it in your cabin? I don't like the idea of carrying it around in a bag which could be stolen -- seems like the odds of a purse-snatching are higher than the odds of needing it for some kind of assistance, e.g., if you missed the ship due to a late-running excursion.

Would carrying a photo-copy of it be worth anything or is that meaningless to authorities?

I do remember needing it to make a purchase in a jewelry store in Barbados -- don't know if that was just the store's policy or a Barbados thing or if it is common in the Caribbean.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hi LeslieS :)

One of the first things I do when I get on a ship is to put our passports in the cabin's safety deposit box. The only time I take my passport with me is when we are at a port, such as St Petersburg Russia, where it is required.

I never worry about missing the ship because I either go on the cruise line's shore excursions or explore a port by myself. However, if I took a private shore excursion, I would definitely take my passport with me because the ship won't wait for you if it is late.

I think this a tough question. In general I don't like to take my passport out of the ship's safe unless I am told to take it ashore. I tend to take my driver's license with me when going ashore since it is the same size as a cruise card and meets the picture ID for some ports to pass security to the ship. We also have a digital image of our passports on a webmail account in case our passport is lost.

BTW - Washington State is issuing a combo DL and passport called an Enhanced Drivers License which can be used going into Canada and Mexico. It would be nice if it was expanded to other countries and be a backup to your regular Passport.

I have traveled with my passport for ages. I always make a copy and leave the original in the cabin's safe.

That copy came in very handy in Europe when using my credit card. A number of shops asked for it since my credit card wasn't encrypted the way European Cards are.

I've been on recent cruises when the ship takes your passport and holds on to it until the night before you are getting off the ship. Princess did it for a three week Asian cruise.

Infact, we tried to get the passport back for an excursion out of Hong Kong when we were stuck there an extra night due to a typhoon so we could travel out of the area but they were unable to retrieve it and did not let us use it even for the day.

And we have a two week cruise on Celebrity coming up to South America and I'm told they will be holding our passports the entire time on this cruise as well.

So I guess my question is, since we do mostly private excursions and not cruise tours, what are people doing when ships are holding passports and your next port is going to be in a different country? So far, I have never missed the ship (knock on wood), but if even a copy of the passport doesn't really buy us anything, what are your options when a ship holds the passport the entire cruise?

Cathy

Interesting - I've not been on a cruise where they hold your passport. I guess that does make it seem that it's best to leave it on the ship and just hope nothing happens on shore that would cause a need for a passport.

I'll probably carry a copy and other ID and hope nothing else is required.

Thanks for the input - although I think it's about equally divided and I'm still a little puzzled! ;)

We've never had a problem carrying a color copy of our passport leaving the original in the cabin safe. The only time we carried the actual passport was in St. Petersburg Russia where they required it. The only place that we had to show it was in immigration as we got off the ship.

We;;, I would never expect a cop to accept a photocopy of my driver's license, I would never expect a store to accept a copy of my American Express card and if some unfortunate thing happened, I think a copy of my passport would be useless, except perhaps to help replace it. I got a passport so other nations' officials would know I'm a Canadian and so I would receive the rights and privileges of a Canadian citizen. For that reason, I take my passport with me and leave the copy in the safe so that I can replace it more easily if it's stolen. You should take good care of all your documents and credit cards but folks should understand that the primary use of a passport is not to get back into your own country.

Cruise ship passengers are such prime targets for pickpockets and purse snatchers. Someone, especially elderly passengers, have been a victim of this on a number of cruises I have been on. IMHO the possibility of your passport being lost or stolen are much greater than the possibility of you being in a situation while visiting a port that would require you to show your original passport as opposed to a copy, or a driver's license. (This of course, does not include ports where you must show your passport to immigration, like St. Petersburg).

If a passport was not required by immigration authorities at the port, I would take a colour copy with me, and leave the original in the cabin safe. And always take the name of the port agent with you. If there is a problem in port, he/she can be of assistance.

If you need to travel on to the next port because of a minor accident or whatever, I wish you well trying to convinve the customs officials in a foreign country that your colour copy is anything but a doctored photoshop picture.

To each their own but the logic some people pose here is amazing to me.

I recently sailed on a Caribbean Cruise with Costa (Costa Fortuna) and they REQUIRED us to take our passports with us everytime we left the ship. It caused long lines because on return to the ship, security officers made sure that the sail and sign card and the passport matched.......even for my children of 2 and 4 years old! We thought it was overkill, don't you?

And always take the name of the port agent with you. If there is a problem in port, he/she can be of assistance.

This is the best advice on this thread, and is the one thing that many people overlook. On our Mediterranean cruise this past summer, a friend of ours was in a minor accident and had taken the information with her. The port agent was of great assistance to her. You will find the info in your daily ship's newspaper.

As for the passport, it's one of those questions which has no definitive answer and depends a lot on where you are. However, please bear this point in mind. Should you decide to take your actual passport ashore, do not carry it in your purse or in your camera case. Those are the first objects that thieves go for. Carry it on your person! Yes, they are an awkward size. If I have on pants with cargo pockets that button, I put it there. I also have a cloth zipper pouch that I can hang around my neck under my clothes. My husband has a cloth money pouch that he wears around his waist.

We do have a laminated copy of our passport which we take on the cruise that we use most of the time. I also give a paper copy to my contact person back home, just in case.

We;;, I would never expect a cop to accept a photocopy of my driver's license, I would never expect a store to accept a copy of my American Express card and if some unfortunate thing happened, I think a copy of my passport would be useless, except perhaps to help replace it. I got a passport so other nations' officials would know I'm a Canadian and so I would receive the rights and privileges of a Canadian citizen. For that reason, I take my passport with me and leave the copy in the safe so that I can replace it more easily if it's stolen. You should take good care of all your documents and credit cards but folks should understand that the primary use of a passport is not to get back into your own country.

I can not speak for Canadian passport requirements, but under new US Immigration and Homeland Security laws a valid US passport is now required by all US citizens to get back into the US. Effective Feb. 1st (day after tomorrow) all US citizens will have to have a US passport to return to the US from both Canada and Mexico. Unless you are in a port or foreign country that requires a passport to visit you should leave it on the ship in your safe as there is no good reason to carry your passport with you. If you feel more comfortable carry a color photocopy and a valid US Id with a picture like a drivers license. The risk of having your passport lost or more likely stolen is not worth having it with you ashore. In many areas of the world a stolen US passport is more valuable than a stolen credit card and can be a nightmare to replace. My in-laws, who also believed you should always carry your passport with you while ashore, learned a very valuable lesson on this when while in Rome on a shore excursion several years ago. My mother in law had both of their passports, return airline tickets, credit cards and travelers checks in her purse and one of those famous purse snatchers on a Vespa scooter ripped it off her shoulder and they lost everything. They ended up having to get help from the American Consulate and missed the last 3 days of their cruise to get replacement credit cards & passports and they had to purchase new airline tickets home.

When you arrive in the port no one is allowed ashore until clearance by health and immigration. I don't know for a fact but suspect that the immigration authorities have a copy of the manifest.

When you leave the ship you are logged out on the ship's systems and when you return you are logged back in.

Shoould you go astray ashore your ship ID card will prove you are a passenger on a particular ship and it would be a simple matter to correlate manifests, ID etc with the ship's records.

As for needing your passport fro duty free-purchases then that is likely too although, as it an airport, a boarding card may suffice if you are sea-side.

A friend had their passport stolen from a backpack in Italy and it wasn't a problem getting the passport replaced. Here's the information from the US State Department.

LOST AND STOLEN U.S. PASSPORTS ABROAD

Q. WHAT SHOULD A U.S. CITIZENS DO IF THEIR PASSPORT IS LOST OR STOLEN ABROAD?

A. Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance. Phone numbers for U.S. embassies and consulates are also available in our Country Specific Information and Key Officers handbook. You will need to speak to the American Citizens Services unit of the Consular Section. If you are scheduled to leave the foreign country shortly, please provide the Consular Section with details regarding your departure schedule. Every effort will be made to assist you quickly. You will also be directed to where you can obtain the required passport photos.

If you are notified by a relative or friend that their U.S. passport has been lost/stolen, you may wish to contact Overseas Citizens Services , (202) 647-5225 at the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C. providing as much information about possible about the person's who needs passport services abroad. This will assist us in trying to verify the person's previous passport, clearing the person's name through the Department Passport Name Check System, and relaying this information to the U.S. embassy or consulate. Your relative/friend must apply for a new passport at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Q. WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A REPLACEMENT PASSPORT?

A. You will need to complete a new passport application . The consular officer taking an application for replacement of a lost, stolen, or misplaced passport must be reasonably satisfied as to your identity and citizenship before issuing the replacement. In virtually all cases this can be done through examination of whatever citizenship and identity documents are available, conversations with the applicant, close observation of demeanor and replies to questions asked, and discussions with the applicant’s travelling companions or contacts in the United States. Please note the new requirements for passports for minors under the age of 14 and how this will change the way passport applications for minors are handled abroad.

Q. WHAT INFORMATION WILL I NEED TO PROVIDE THE CONSULAR OFFICER?

A. You will be asked for certain information to assist in verifying your citizenship:

1. Personal Data: (including, but not limited to)

your name

date of birth

place of birth

passport number (if available)

date and place where your passport was issued

If you can provide the U.S. embassy or consulate with a photocopy of your passport identification page, that will make getting a new passport easier since your citizenship and identity information would be more readily available.

2. Affidavit Regarding Loss/Theft of the Passport/Police Report:

When you report the loss, theft, or misplacement of your passport you must execute an affidavit fully describing the circumstances under which it was lost, stolen. U.S. Department of State form DS-64 may be used for this purpose, or you may simply execute a sworn statement before the consular officer describing what happened. A police report is not mandatory but may be required when the embassy/consulate believes a problem may exist such as possible fraud. An applicant eligible to receive a passport should not be placed in circumstances to miss a plane or unreasonably delay travel to obtain a police report.

3. Citizenship Verification and Name Clearance:

The U.S. embassy/consulate will confirm your previous passport issuance through our Passport Verification System or by requesting that Overseas Citizens Services , (202) 647-5225, in the U.S. Department of State retrieve the actual passport application. The consular section will also attempt to clear your name through the U.S. Department of State name check system to ensure there is nothing preventing issuance of a U.S. passport to you (for example: outstanding arrest warrant, court order, etc.) See 22 CFR 51.70 .

4. Proof of Identity:

You will also be asked for some proof of your identity. If all your personal papers were lost or stolen with your passport, your identity can be established in a number of ways. In most cases the problem of identity is resolved quickly. It should be noted, however, that if there is any indication of possible fraud the consular officer may request additional documentation or other information.

So as you see, you can get an emergency passport with just the color copy of your passport and other identifying information. This is exactly what my friend did to get his emergency passport in Rome. It took less than 24 hours.

And as I said, cruise lines such as Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea and Regent take every passenger's passport and lock them up for the duration of the cruise. I even had my passport taken when we did an Alaska cruise on Crystal and Seabourn. So again, if a cruise line thinks it isn't necessary to take your passport off the ship, then I don't either.

I always bring our passports, but have never needed them (on cruises). They go directly into the safe, along with wallets and money and travel documents. They don't come out until the last day of the cruise. Except for money. That comes out, and seems to go away quickly!

Anyway, we've never had a problem, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem. But the only ports we've ever been to are South America and the Caribbean.

Good question.

Shay

I always bring our passports, but have never needed them (on cruises). They go directly into the safe, along with wallets and money and travel documents. They don't come out until the last day of the cruise. Except for money. That comes out, and seems to go away quickly!

Anyway, we've never had a problem, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem. But the only ports we've ever been to are South America and the Caribbean.

Good question.

Shay

Let's face it, the only reason to take a passport ashore is in case something goes wrong while ashore (excluding the possibility that you may, for example, need it to enter & leave a second country while ashore).

Now, if something was to go wrong (an overzealous Mexican cop, an accident, a missed sailing time - make up your own example), do you think it best to have your passort with you or not have it with you?

Also, don't forget about possible visas needed to enter some countries, in addition to a passport. Example (not a cruise vacation, but still valid): some years ago my Canadian wife needed a Swiss visa for our French Alps vacation, because the plane put down in Geneva, where the transfer bus met us & took us to our French hotel.

It is hard to underestate the power a passport has. "Don't leave home (or the ship!) without it".

Archived