First Alaska cruise, Glacier Bay a must?

weathernet

Hi all! Am new to this blog/site, but in the couple hours thus far, have gathered way more insight and help from all of your seasoned experience and recommendations.

First cruise to Alaska for this Floridian, and with kids growing up, perhaps last "family vacation" for myself, wife and two girls. So many ships, itineraries, ports, etc., but only departure date being June 26-29 with barely more than a week travel time available, it seems that Glacier Bay should be near top of my list. I know some ships travel there, yet not all. Am open to most cruise lines, and love RCL. So, ship or itinerary? As compromise, are there any excursions ( from tender or port ) which accomodate a Glacier Bay trip?

Thanks NancyIL for the reply....

Had considered Holland America but due to less night life and activities, had started to look at other options. Is Glacier Bay a "must see" and worth the cruise through, even if perhaps choosing my 2nd or 3rd choice on ship preference?

thanks.... :)

On our first Alaska cruise last June, we sailed on the northbound Coral Princess that went to Glacier Bay and College Fjord. Both were very pretty. Were they better than Hubbard Glacier? I don't know, but I'll be on HAL Veendam this July to find out!

If you only have a week, you may want to consider a round trip, since they may offer you more ease in getting home. Glacier Bay is fantastic, and HAL runs excellent round trip itineraries.

As for the lack of "nightlife", you may find that what is outside the ship more important in sailing Alaska. Determine, what are your priorities and keep reading. :) Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, especially Alaska by Cruiseship, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska.

You ask about tours to Glacier Bay, one option are the fly ins out of Hoonah and Skagway. Although it is much nicer to sail in in my opinion.

Determine- exactly how much time you have- include travel days, that may limit your choices, making it a more manageable list.

Our impression from reading these message boards is that the best scenery is found on the one-way cruises that go into Glacier Bay and College Fjord. It might be worth checking with your preferred travel agent to see what the cost would be. For instance, flying into Vancouver, crusing north to Whittier, and then flying back from Anchorage.

I did the NCL Pearl from Seattle. Glacier Bay was the highlight but Skagway and the train were a close second. I don't understand why some people make a big deal that you should sail from Vancouver so you can do the inside passage. We saw plenty of great scenery sailing around Vancouver Island. I guess being from Seattle I see forested mountains all the time and the scenery wasn't all that different from you see in Western Washington.

I cannot write from experience, but only from being in your same situation. After careful consideration, and reading this boards for weeks on end. I decided that for the 1 week I had for this first cruise that Glacier Bay and Skagway were at the top of my list. Mostly, because they were at the top of many CC'er lists as well. After looking what was available using those as my perameters, I went with NLC Pearl round trip Seattle. I get the ease of coming in and out of Seattle from the west coast. I get Glacier Bay and Skagway along with Ketchican and Juneau. I get freestyle dining which seems to go well with Alaska itineraries. I get a beautiful new ship and I think it will POSSIBLY have a younger crowd than what might be found on HAL. Is it a perfect choice???? Probably not, but seeing that we are in about the "same boat". I felt it was the best choice for me. Good luck choosing.

disneydiane

There are soooo many ships and soooo many itineraries to Alaska! Soooo many choices to make!

And all of them are good! Whatever you pick for Alaska, I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

You do need to decide what your primary consideration is. If glacier viewing is the NUMBER ONE thing you want to do in Alaska, here is how I would characterize it:

Tracy Arm is beautiful scenery and a good place for wildlife. The twin Sawyer Glaciers at the end of it are pretty but not spectacular, IMHO. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/sapphire2.html

Hubbard Glacier is spectacular! When the ships can get close to it, it is a real experience. We loved it.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

BUT -- when all is said and done, Glacier Bay is a World Heritage Site and deservedly so. The others cannot compare to it for quantity of glaciers, beauty of the glaciers, variety of glaciers, and stunning scenery.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaska.html

and

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

So -- IF glaciers are your first priority, then I would suggest a Glacier Bay itinerary. But is that truly your first priority? Alaska offers so many other wonderful things on other itineraries.

Whichever you pick I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

We were in the same "boat" as you last year. I originally booked Carnival one way northbound and learned they didn't do Glacier bay. So we eventually decided to book on the NCL Pearl.

After doing it, I will say it was prettry impressive and worth the trip although our kids were off to teen club after the stop at Marjorie Glacier. I also can't tell you is how it would have compared to what we had seen on a one way cruise. I know they see glaciers on the cruise and with excursions in Juneau to glacier fields, Sawyer, Hubbard, you have other options in order to see glaciers.

One other thing to consider is weather and time of year. For example, we had great weather but saw very little calving.

As BQ mentioned earlier, the ultimate question is what gets you excited. I don't think you can go wrong on about any itinerary if you do some basic research and book based on your wants and desires.

Pictures from the trip including Glacier Bay here

http://flickr.com/photos/roseoftexas/collections/72157601829385443/

Can't thank all of you enough for your input and response to my quandry regarding Glacier Bay. Seems as if I'm torn between going roundtrip from Seattle on the NCL Pearl and the one-way option into ( or out of ) Whittier or Seward via one of the Princess ships - either nice options. Only ruling out HAL due to personal preference of added night life. That all said, might lean towards the one way option so to have one additional day to explore the N. Gulf fjords, rail, or other Anchorage area scenery.

Boy, sure will be some stretch from my first cruise some years ago ( early 70's ? ) out of S. Florida, on the Flavia, along with few other W. Caribbean cruises along the way.

Tight Sails!

Weathernet,

Thank you for asking this question. I too am having the same problem. I have decided that glaciers are a priority and would really like to stay with RT from Seattle. The HAL rooms are bigger and nicer (so it seems) than some of the other lines offering a similar itinerary.

Can anyone tell me whether or not HAL is worth the extra $$$?

Many thanks in advance for any and all replies.

-:)

Can't thank all of you enough for your input and response to my quandry regarding Glacier Bay. Seems as if I'm torn between going roundtrip from Seattle on the NCL Pearl and the one-way option into ( or out of ) Whittier or Seward via one of the Princess ships - either nice options. Only ruling out HAL due to personal preference of added night life. That all said, might lean towards the one way option so to have one additional day to explore the N. Gulf fjords, rail, or other Anchorage area scenery.

Boy, sure will be some stretch from my first cruise some years ago ( early 70's ? ) out of S. Florida, on the Flavia, along with few other W. Caribbean cruises along the way.

Tight Sails!

Princess doesn't go into Seward. It is a bit odd, you are the first person to talk about night life on this Alaska forum in a very long time. Nightlife is probably the lowest priority for most people on this forum. In Alaska, the day usually starts very early. Your port days are long. By the end of the day there isn't much energy for late night life and you probably have to get up early the next day. On the Sapphire Princess the ship was pretty quiet after 10pm. Whatever your choice, I would recommend going to Tracy Arm on a day cruise out of Juneau if you can.

Hi all! Am new to this blog/site, but in the couple hours thus far, have gathered way more insight and help from all of your seasoned experience and recommendations.

First cruise to Alaska for this Floridian, and with kids growing up, perhaps last "family vacation" for myself, wife and two girls. So many ships, itineraries, ports, etc., but only departure date being June 26-29 with barely more than a week travel time available, it seems that Glacier Bay should be near top of my list. I know some ships travel there, yet not all. Am open to most cruise lines, and love RCL. So, ship or itinerary? As compromise, are there any excursions ( from tender or port ) which accomodate a Glacier Bay trip?

Celebrity (and I think RCL) usually visits Hubbard Glacier which is the longest tidewater glacier in Alaska with a face over 6 miles wide (according to wikipedia). If you choose an itinerary that goes to Hubbard Glacier instead of Glacier Bay I don't think you would be disappointed. Here's a link to the pictures I took of the Hubbard Glacier in May 2005. There are almost 70 pictures of the Hubbard Glacier out of the 350 I have posted from that cruise. The link will take you to the first of the Hubbard Glacier pictures so you don't have to scroll through the entire Alaska album to find them.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2708831910100617054HUxhYB

Tight Sails!

Your "added night life" concern is just about on ALL ships sailing Alaska, none are rocking, even Carnival. If that is why you are sailing to Alaska, you might want to read up reports of last seasons sailings and find out which ship had the most?? Alaska draws cruisers who are up early and take a ship for what is outside it, the itinerary and Alaska. And actually HAL is superior for one ways, in my opinion, since they port in Seward. With even not much added time- maybe one day- you can add a top attraction, Kenai Fjords with the Alaska RR back to Anchorage.

There are a lot of choices to consider. :)

Hi,

I'm dealing with some of the same questions and decisions about an Alaska cruise.

We've sailed HAL before and I liked it.

The entertainment was quite good.

I don't know about late night at the clubs.

HAL had good deck space in places other than around the pool. It makes a balcony not so important.

Even the least expensive rooms on HAL are large and the outside rooms usually have a tub! We had an outside with a tub, dvd player, flat screen tv, elemis toiletries, great bed and bedding.....

I had just about decided on either the Amsterdam or the Westerdam roundtrip out of Seattle. THEN, I started reading about As You Wish Dining on the Holland America boards.

HAL is going to a combination of fixed seating and open seating. Apparently it is almost impossible to get fixed seating and they seem to be having lots of problems with their open seating. There are tales of long lines and buzzers being distributed.

So, now I don't want to sail on HAL!!!

We've sailed on Celebrity, Carnival, and NCL. Didn't like NCL partly because of the open seating. Carnival is a good choice is you want night life and the Spirit has some sailings to Glacier Bay.

What I really want is Celebrity and Glacier Bay - but I can't have it!

It's wonderful to be able to cruise. These are not really problems! I need to keep some perspective! :)

We are on the NB Volendam and looking forward to two glacier days, including Glacier Bay. We will be in Juneau from 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. so we are going on the Tracy Arm Boat Cruise which will take a good part of the day, but the reviews here were so awesome, we had to try it. We are also going on the Chilkoot 9 hour train tour, again because we have a nice full day there. We are not worried about the dining issue. I am sure things will work out there. If you are a type A personality, then maybe it would not be a good choice for you. We are very easy going and I am not going to Alaska for the food. We are going for the itinerary. We are also happy to be concluding our cruise in Seward. We have two fully packed days there. For what we like to do, the Volendam offered us the most. We are very excited to be going. Can't believe it is just 4 months away. So exciting!!!

I would also put Glacier Bay at the top of the list when cruising to Alaska. This season there is a chance that Hubbard Glacier may be iced in and ships may not even be able to get there. Last year many ships were not able to get near Hubbard Glacier until July.

We were in the same position trying to plan our cruise. We have 11 people aged between 6 and 67. We decided that Seattle r/t was easiest for us and HAL went to Glacier Bay. In addition I had a friend that went with her 3 children on the same route, once with HAL and once with NCL. They preferred HAL (even the kids).

In the end we decided on the Westerdam. Being one of the newer, larger ships I figured the kids would like it and it still would be nice enough for the adults with the larger comfy staterooms. I am hoping the As You Wish Dining will have the kinks worked out before we go!

Tight Sails!

There is virtually no night life on any line that sails in Alaska. I have been on HAL, Princess, RCI, NCL, and Carnival ships. It's pretty much the same on all of them.

First, activities start as early as 8am which means getting up around 6:30 to get breakfast and get dressed.

Second, most people get a fair amount of exercise either walking around town or on their shore excursions and they are exhausted by the time dinner rolls around. Sunset is around 9-10pm and after that and the show getting out, the decks, discos, etc. are pretty much deserted.

Third, the majority of the people who sail in Alaska are from the midwest or east coast. If you are from Florida, midnight Alaska time is 4am Florida time. By the time they get their body clocks switched to Alaska time, the cruise is over. On the other hand, east coasters seem to have no problem getting up at 6am to see the glaciers!

Thanks NancyIL for the reply....

Had considered Holland America but due to less night life and activities, had started to look at other options. Is Glacier Bay a "must see" and worth the cruise through, even if perhaps choosing my 2nd or 3rd choice on ship preference?

thanks.... :)

If glacier viewing is important to you, definitely consider GB into your itinerary planning.

One of the big glacier stops (glacier bay or hubbard) is a must. Just inside passage is a big waste IMO for a first Alaskan cruise. I've already gone twice and if I ever go again, I'd still want to stop at one of the glaciers instead of just an inside passage cruise. Seeing those monster glaciers really gives you that Alaskan grandeur. Mendenhall just doesn't cut it.

Archived